Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

Blog Comments

Terrif! Sounds like you've got it under control.
    im glad your looking and feeling better
    He may not stall or if he does it wont effect him very much. For instance, tommorow is 8 weeks post op and Im down 30 lbs as of yesterday. We all know I stalled 4 weeks straight. So again if he hit a stall he may still lose in time.

You are doing great keep up the good work and get a exercise pattern going....atleast 30 mins a day 4 times a week.

Good luck.
    Great to hear from you! Glad to hear you are settling in your new home and country.

Like other have said check your expectations and as long you are eating a healthy and balanced diet filled with nutritient packed foods and get at least 35 minutes of exercise, stay hydrated and have keep your stress level manageable you will lose the weight.

Remember that if you are not eating a minimum amount of protein 80-100g per day and you are losing weight, you are not burning fat but it is muscle loss and you do not want that.

Best wishes!
    May be your expectations are too high and unrealistic? At two month post-op, from the day of surgery I lost 18 pounds. My surgeon was happy! me too!
    it's not a sprint, it's a marathon. And we are all different and will have different weight losses. What's important is to reach your goal, whatever it is. It doesn't matter how long it takes, what's important is to get there!

Now at 7 months I'm at + 80 pounds (including the pre-op diet) and since a few years ago it took me one year and a lot of struggle to lose 70 pounds with a diet, I feel really good about those 80 pounds in 7 months. My surgeon expect me to reach 110 at 12 months....we'll see!

Drinking and eating become easier around month 3. At seven month I can drink almost like before surgery. I always drink more when it's iced cold.
    Eating chicken or beef is always only a small portion, I still get full quickly. I can eat two eggs, couldn't eat more than one until month 5.

I do drink coffee twice a week, I have treats once or twice a week because I'm not on a diet, that's for life and I don't want to deal with frustration. I'm trying to eat moderate low carb during the week and a little more carbs during the week end (NUT orders: I need to eat more carbs! but I know my body...). I'm actually more focused on quality over quantity because I had some issues with anemia and vitamin deficiency even with all the supplements I've been taking since....before surgery!

So far the most difficult has been to have at least 60gr of protein per day. I still have to have shakes to get to that number.

The sleeve process is stressful, everything is new and we have to cope with a "new stomach, new body, new mind" all together. You are doing great! Don't worry and enjoy your new country! Take care!
    "Haven't lost as quickly as others" !?!? Are you cray cray?! 30 lbs in two months is amazing!

Just be prepared for it to slow down, though. There's a stall most likely coming your way soon, then much slower wt loss to follow. Just be mentally prepared for it.
    I hope you find what your looking for
    A few years ago, it took me one full year to lose 30 kgs (66 pounds) and right now I'm at six month, had my post-op visit yesterday and I was at 34 kgs (74 pounds). Indeed the result post-sleeve is much quicker than "just diet", but to arrive at that result I did have a gain (medication) several stalls, and sometimes it felt like for ever to lose one pound! The most important is to look at the result after several months, and just keep in mind that you will lose a lot more with bariatric surgery compare to "regular diet" so....stay positive, an average of 2 pounds per week is really good, hide your scale and be happy!
    I lost 22 pounds on my 2 week preop diet. Then it took 6 weeks to lose 17 pounds after surgery. Which I was thrilled with, BTW. And I eventually lost 100 pounds and have kept it off for 2 years. THAT is why I had this surgery.

So be patient, track your NSV's, not your scale (I don't even own one), figure out a plan that works for you and do it. For me that meant 60-80g protein, 100oz of water, and vitamins every day. How fast you lose has nothing to do with your long term success. This is not a race, it is for the rest of your life and you need to work for it every single day, even when you want to give up.....especially when you want to give up.
    did you nut review macros with you and have you played with them? So much of sleeve life is figuring it out for your body. You may need to play with your carb, fat and protein ratios to find what gets your metabolism chugging while you watch protein for the range you need. If you are hitting 1,000 it shouldn't be starvation. If you are not as heavy as some of us, it will come off.

things to focus on/trouble shoot....is it coming off weekly? even if .3 lbs...are you losing weekly? are you carbs low unintentionally? are you eating frequently or 3 times a day? These are things to play with within the rules to see what makes your sleeve tick.

My doc said t my 6 week they want to see 12 lbs and anything above that is bonus. I was sorta shocked by that since so many drop major poundage those first 6 weeks because nuts typically do "try your best", "focus on fluid and protein" and not much more until 6 weeks.

15 lbs is still averaging 3 lbs a week which is above the 1 - 2 recommended. YOur skin will thank you
    I hope your nutritionist said something about non scale victories. Don't fret, I'm the same way slow scale loser, but shrinking in sizes. Are you keeping track of your body measurements? Body composition? Blood stats? I thinking having compiled all that data has giving me sense of calmness.

At 5weeks I could hardly get an ounce of tuna or chicken or tofu or cheese without feeling extremely full, I compensated with nonfat plain Greek yogurt, and cottage cheese. However, it wasn't meeting my protein needs so I have continued to supplement.

A few days shy of two months I concentrate on my protein drink concoctions, water, vitamin intake and eating protein and veggies are supplemental to keep my protein at 100g plus, I do not tend to exceed 900 cals though I have had a few days in which I did 1100 cals and that's because I was grassing and made some bad food choices.

If you are not exercising you really need to be upping your protein stat! Reading recommendations suggest are .5g of protein per pound of current weight. So for a 200lbs individual on a restrictive caloric diet they should be consuming 100g of protein Or their body will start consuming their muscle instead of fat.
    I'm feeling a bit like you...I haven't lost anything in 5 weeks!

"Famine proof"...LOL!
    Everyone loses at a different rate. Please don't give in and start eating off plan. I think if you stick it out you will be happy with the sleeve. Didn't it take you a lot longer to lose the 17 pounds than 5 weeks? I wish you the best.
    17 months out and I still have to have a shake everyday to meet my protein needs. I use torani sugar free syrups, ice, different protein flavors of whey, fruit and nuts in my shakes so I am never bored and they are fresh which I love. If I don't get all my protein in I gain weight back so it never seems to end.
    Sugar was always my albatross. I finally figured out it was what was causing my digestive system to blow up like a balloon. It was so painful that all I could do is hold a hot water bottle on my stomach and pray it would pass. I will have a bite or 2 of someone else's dessert, but just avoid them now. I did crave them too, badly, but now that I have been away from them, it is not so bad.
    Find healthy sweet options- fruit, I carry dried fruit with me everywhere. Protein bars is a good go to as well. Now, I'm 1 1/2 years out and I do occasionally have candy but it is the bite size which I manage it turn into 3 or 4 bites so make me mentally think I had more
    It is definitely hard to stop. I just went two weeks on a liquid diet due to an abscessed tooth. Mostly shakes, iced coffee to energize me through the day. I am going through HELL. Not sure how to deal. I tried to cut the sugar today but failed. I had the worst sugar withdrawls EVER. If you find something helpful let me know. So far I have only gained 2 pounds. I would love to keep it that way. HAHA>

Good Luck.
    Carbs in any form turn into glucose molecules in the body.
    Quote Originally Posted by LindaLu
    I have been addicted to the scale-I asked my husband to remove the battery today so I won't be tempted. Lost 10 pounds pre-op and gained it back by the day after surgery ! I'm not 'officially' 2 pounds down since day of surgery but refuse to get discouraged. Having some issues with one of my incisions not healing so well. Anyone else have that problem?
    HI,
    2 of my smaller incisions were taking along time to heal and appeared infected,however they were not they were just slower than the others.I used a sponge infused with a antibacterial soap.It was the only thing that touched the wounds.I also used a steri-strip to close the incision,I used topical antibiotic creme and covered it at night with a bandaid. I let the air circulate during the day.The antibiotic cream made it look infected,when in fact it was not. going on 4 weeks..all scabbed over. Hope this helps. No more worries,swam yesterday.
    Thank you all for the information. I have not had surgery yet but i have ideas now on how i can get my proteins in
    I usually have a yogurt in the morning, the triple zero has 12 grams I think. I can do cottage cheese for lunch, or there are easy recipes online to make an 'egg in a mug'. You can do a quick scrambled egg in a coffee cup right in the microwave and you and add spinach once you get the ok. I also like polly o low fat string cheese for a quick boost. I just found at cvs and walmart the pre made shakes with 30 grams of protein. They may be too thick so I will toss them in the blender with some ice or frozen fruit. Theres a book, cooking for dummies for sleeved people (not the name but you get my drift) I bought it on Amazon but haven't opened it. Maybe you library has something or just cruising the internet will help.
    After 2 weeks I could eat soft foods. How about greek yogurt, eggs, or cottage cheese? If that doesn't work, there's no problem having some shakes. By 6 weeks I was on all real food and never had a shake again.
    Unfortunately, genepro is not really protein. It comes from a questionable company that also sells "male enhancement" and "miracle" muscle building products. There are absolutely no third party studies that verify any of the company's claims and is not FDA approved. They can't confirm absorption rates through pre and post serum protein levels, cannot provide an amino acid profile, and anyone with a basic understanding of biochemistry knows that once you chemically alter a substance by stripping off all the hydrogen atoms (which is how this company explains why their "protein" molecule is so small) that substance is no longer what you started with.

Genepro doesn't taste like protein or have any of the physical properties of protein because it isn't protein. But it has a great marketing department behind it, so unfortunately there are lots of folks that get scammed into buying it. I don't think Genepro will harm anything, but please don't rely on it as a primary protein source.
    Well, I just ordered the Genepro, so we'll see how it goes. According to the plan from my surgeon I can have moist chicken so I managed to get that down. I was also able to eat the tuna finish salad meals that come in the little packages (without the crackers). I've been able to meet my protein goals for the last few days which is good.
    Thanks to all for the advice!
    Quote Originally Posted by Muted_Tummy
    what is your capacity? Once I went to soft foods, I got most of my protein that way. Instead of shakes, I added unflavored protein powder to things and/or had a glass of milk with carnation instant bfast etc. Here and there on a low day, I might have a shake.

I could eat a whole Yogurt though so I didn't struggle like so many do. I also ate every 2 - 3 hours per my center's instructions.

I did egg, greek yogurt, cottage cheese and fish.
    Even though it says it was unflavored I still found it to have a chalky taste so I don't use it as much - I drink Lean Body on the Go by Labrada every day.... premade and I get them delivered by the case off of Bodybuilder.com - same costs even with shipping when I consider I would have to go to a Walmart and buy them and drag them home
    Hi Tandem, you can find protein powder that are organic or natural and stay away from fake sugar and chemicals. I used organic whey like Kindle told you, but also organic vegan powder (Sun warrior). The main issue for me is to find something that my stomach can handle, because usually after a few days/weeks, I get nauseous and have to change brand. I really liked the already made shakes Orgain, it's easy to have a few cold and ready to drink in the fridge, and I was ordering it online (Amazon or Walmart) when I was in the US. It's too bad I can't order it from overseas, because I tried the Orgain powder and didn't like it....way too sweet!.... take care!
    Good luck!! All that food sounds so delivious!! You can always say you got a stomach bug and you're not holding much down. Then again you won't have this kind of food in Kenya and you'll miss it so have whatever you can, you're at a very early stage so you can't eat much anyway!
    Tandem, if it makes you feel better about the shakes, 100% whey protein is the best, most efficiently absorbed form of protein available. Better than beef, fish, pork, seafood, soy, and other dairy proteins.
    i am 7 wks post surgery and doing really well so far, I am getting most of my protein from food, egg white omelettes are good and i can eat 2 egg whites, cheese and fish are big for me, laughing cow lights are really good and they come in different flavours, i went out for lunch for the 1st time yesterday, had a starter portion of Mussels and the cheese board i even had a cracker with the cheese, it was so nice and i enjoyed every single one and just being out in a normal environment. i haven't had a shake since week 3 as they really made me feel sick
    what is your capacity? Once I went to soft foods, I got most of my protein that way. Instead of shakes, I added unflavored protein powder to things and/or had a glass of milk with carnation instant bfast etc. Here and there on a low day, I might have a shake.

I could eat a whole Yogurt though so I didn't struggle like so many do. I also ate every 2 - 3 hours per my center's instructions.

I did egg, greek yogurt, cottage cheese and fish.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast