Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

Blog Comments

OHMGoodness your reply to Christie just gave me flashbacks to new Bill Nye (The Science Guy! from my teens in the 80's lol! I had such a crush on him!) show on Netflix. Anywhoo, if you are a fan totally watch it, if not, don't because he will just piss you off with his rants on global warming effects!

Christie... Talking about Global Warming did you see the massive iceberg floating by Greenland or was it Newfoundland or Iceland? Didn't you live in one those NH islands?

Sandra, glad that you are feeling better... progress not perfection I always remind myself.

I can't wait to be in France! It is a bummer I may not get to meet you! But do let me know if you are coming to Southern California or Texas in the future.

Hugs!
    Quote Originally Posted by Christie13
    I am still super impressed you have managed to lose so much with the limitations on getting what you need there. I am sure that once you get back to France you are going to see so much difference.
    In the past 15 months I've been away almost ...5 months, so my limitations was only during 2/3 of the time: ten months. That's probably why I did manage. But as my nut say all the time "you're my best patient" because I went to all follow up, take my supplements religiously, I'm really trying hard. I mean I know that I was obese with a balanced nutrition, I know that if I had been living on junk food or eating crazy high calories, I could have been one of those poor fellows on the 600 pounds show. that's probably why I was so worried one month ago when I saw my scale not moving and actually saying "one more pound!" on and off. But it feels better to see that with a little work out each day and eating more and better food in Australia the result is there.
    I came back to see that the ban (bird flu) is gone so eggs and chicken are back in stores, that's great news. The veggie market has also more fresh vegetables I can eat because it's in season, I found lettuce and egg plants again on Sunday. I think the next four months will be less complicated compare to the past winter months. Crossing my finger we won't get that many typhoons like last year..or the veggie market will be closed for weeks again. Plus next month I will be ten days in France, I know my friends did plan a few dinner parties already, can't wait!
    I am still super impressed you have managed to lose so much with the limitations on getting what you need there. I am sure that once you get back to France you are going to see so much difference.
    Sounds like you had a great trip and also got some much needed nutrition while there. I am glad you are feeling better with your tendonitis. Glad you were able to stock up on some supplements. Happy that you are going back to France versus somewhere that is unsafe for the kiddos. I really wish I could live back home in Italy but having step kids who are here in San Antonio we could not do that. So happy for you Sandra!
    Thanks Christie! may be you will be able to be back in Italy when the step kids are older? that could be a good compromise and they could come to visit? my husband is from the South of France but at some point my job took me back to Paris and he decided to follow me and changed carrier so we could work overseas together. We agreed that for retirement (in more than 20 years but it coming faster than we think) we will move back in the South at least six months per year...I mean the weather is nicer over there and after moving so much I won't mind crossing the country a few times per year if that's what he still wants. May be you could plan something like that too?
    Quote Originally Posted by JLPSch
    Sounds like a great trip! What a busy life you have! Now that I'm eating more meat I find I have more energy, too. The nutritionist I went to even had a chart that shows why getting iron from meat as opposed to vegetables and supplements is better.
    We really enjoyed the trip, last vacation before a long time I guess.
    We've been living overseas for almost 15 years. It was a carrier choice and we were lucky to be able to follow our dreams and do love it. But I don't know if I'm getting older or just tired but moving all the time, having friends all over the world is starting to get old.
    There's lot's of perks to be an expatriate but I always miss someone and that's the hard part. Those past three years in Asia have been a challenge on so many levels (not fluent in Chinese being the main one I guess) but at the same time we also met new friends and had a blast so the conclusion is still positive even if I have mixed feelings.
    Coming back home will be for sure an other culture shock after so many years, especially for the kids.
    About the nutrition, I agree with your nutritionist. Each time I'm in a country where I can eat more protein I see the difference almost immediately. I guess I just have to be patient a few more months now.
    Sounds like you had a great trip and also got some much needed nutrition while there. I am glad you are feeling better with your tendonitis. Glad you were able to stock up on some supplements. Happy that you are going back to France versus somewhere that is unsafe for the kiddos. I really wish I could live back home in Italy but having step kids who are here in San Antonio we could not do that. So happy for you Sandra!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shirl
    Your trip sounded lovely!

So you are heading back to France! Yay! OhMGoodness! Hopefully you will be settled by my trip to Paris at end of July and we can meet!!! (Crossing fingers and toes!)

I'm glad you are feeling better leg wise, and drink a bit of celery juice that should help with water retention.

Hugs!
    Trip was really great, the best part was for sure spending time we our friends, I really missed them a lot!

For our return so far it seems that unfortunately we can't leave before mid August . I will be in Paris next months for a few days of appointments but I will keep you posted when I have my dates "for sure". It can still change...also I will be in the US at the end of August for a few days...so let's wait and see!

My knees are really better. But I didn't wear compression socks for the flight (nothing available in my size) which is the main reason why the water retention is so bad and the flight was longer than usual.
    No celery available at the market plus I think my juicer is in storage (or lost) but I'm trying to drink some diuretic herbal tea and take a few "helpers" supplements to help, hopefully I should be ok in a few days. But Summer is also starting now and humidity and heat are high. Huge contrast with the cooler Australian Fall...
    Sounds like a great trip! What a busy life you have! Now that I'm eating more meat I find I have more energy, too. The nutritionist I went to even had a chart that shows why getting iron from meat as opposed to vegetables and supplements is better.
    Your trip sounded lovely!

So you are heading back to France! Yay! OhMGoodness! Hopefully you will be settled by my trip to Paris at end of July and we can meet!!! (Crossing fingers and toes!)

I'm glad you are feeling better leg wise, and drink a bit of celery juice that should help with water retention.

Hugs!
    It's been a stinking month so far (on so many levels!)...can only be better at that point
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandra3
    ...Regarding what Muted said, it's actually interesting because I just did my waist-to-hips ratio and my result is under 0.80 and that gives me a health risk very low. 14 months ago I was high..
    ^^^SEE^^^

That is something to celebrate and be überly thankful about! yes?

I totally understand, I have better days and stinking thinking days too.
    Quote Originally Posted by blackjac24
    I was introduced to a natural pain reliever over a year ago that I use on all my aches and pains. Its a topical and it starts to help in less than 90 seconds. Its great because you just rub it on, no heavy smell, it doesn't just mask the pain, it reduces inflammation. I put it on my stomach when its upset from something I ate and with in seconds the cramps are gone. If you want the information on it just let me know.
    Yes please let us know the details. That could help a few of us, others deal with chronic pain too. Many thanks!
    Fingers crossed that your next move is going to put you somewhere that you will have access to better foods nutritionally. I hate that your are having so many deficiencies. And I whole heartedly believe that stress can seriously wreak havoc on our bodies. Hugs.
    Thanks Christie!
    Stress is for sure an issue here. And I can tell because my reflux got worth those past days. Hopefully things will settle soon. The deficiencies are for sure an issue but so far I don't know how to deal with it on the long run. If we go back to France and my nutrition is better that might help a lot. Wait and see!! Hugs!
    Sandra, don't fret my friend. I'm down to about 174-175lbs. Everyone tells me I look like I weight less, I know I do because the DEXA body composition scans showed my bone mass is heavier than the average woman my height and age. I am still wearing sizes 10/12, and I have been for several months.

I liked what Muted said ( and YAY! she is back!) I did recently buy a size 8 pair of shorts, but too tight around my waist. That is my new goal, and I will get there when I get there. With no formal exercise going on lately, I am just walking; I know it will be slower to get to my next clothes size goal.

You got this!
    Thanks Shirl!! I'm really stressed out...try not to be but can't help it.

When I try to distance myself and look at the situation from afar I know it's not that bad. I went from a size 22/26 at my heaviest to right now 14/16P
    From my trips in March 2016 or last Summer I did bring smaller sizes, my smallest are 14P. That's my "goal".

Right now my health is much better indeed, but I did have some really bad back pain after moving boxes of books (should have waited for the movers to do it) last week and I think losing more would help.
    Regarding what Muted said, it's actually interesting because I just did my waist-to-hips ratio and my result is under 0.80 and that gives me a health risk very low. 14 months ago I was high...
    Quote Originally Posted by Ann2
    So no -- I'd say you probably aren't done yet.
    I do hope I'm not done. But my metabolism and health history is really complicated. Without going into details, when I was +300 pounds I maintained my weight eating 2000/2500 calories. On paper my BMR should have been around 4000....so I'm starting to think that my last BMR from the hospital might not be accurate.

My nutritionist wrote me today she thinks I don't eat enough. But with my tendonitis I do exercise less...so I'm not sure..
    When I look at my diet this past month, the major change I see is that I didn't eat eggs or chicken (bird flu so it's not sold), no more of my fav yogurt (out) ate more tofu and beef. And had to cut my dark chocolate because of reflux (that's it! here is the reason!)
    And finding fresh veggies good for me is most of the time a real challenge. When I'm out of fresh I eat canned imported veggies...not the best solution but..what to do?
    Lucky for the past months I've been able to tolerate cruciferous (couldn't since surgery) and surprise I even tried cooked tomato last week and it didn't make sick...so I have more options but markets are currently out of broccoli, cauliflower..I found cheap eggplants which was great because my last zucchinis where around 1$ piece.....

I don't know if you are familiar with the book "the Chinese study diet". What they eat here is close from what they describe in the book. Most of their meals are carbs, veggies (cabbage, leafy green or mushroom all those I can't eat because of my IBS) and small amount of fatty meat. But they eat mainly carbs (may be 75% of their diet, and they are lactose intolerant)

Finding the right cuts of meat is always complicated, most meat is frozen, pre-cut and imported. Finding lean cuts is always like winning the lottery! People here eat mainly out, their kitchen are tiny and they have no oven.
    So my nutrition has been complicated for the past two years because of my environment. It took me months to find a great store with organic meat, they closed last year. Sometimes I find great veggies at the local market but it's seasonal. AND I have to be really careful to always avoid anything coming from China (lots of tainted food). Finding the right food is almost a full time job! and it does cost a lot...During those past 14 months, I spend may be a total of 5 months in other countries where food I can eat was available. I always noticed a difference in my weight loss during those months..
    Thanks Christie! you are so sweet!
    You are right, I'm feeling very frustrated right now. The stress of the move not helping (still don't know where and when), plus other stressful issues... but thinking that I might need to track again is really really getting on my nerves.
    I do track once in a while, usually I'm always eating the same quantities so I do it only when adding something new. Last week I realized that I was under 1200 several times. And I also experienced that when I don't eat my "special yogurt" my weight loss is nowhere but the only store selling it has been out for almost one month now. Sunday I found eggplants, haven't seen those in a while. Finding the right nutrition for me here can be challenging sometimes.
    So I'm not sure I will be able to schedule one full day of exams at the hospital before my next departure, but that would be helpful to figure out what's wrong with me again. May be it's my hormones, may be it's the stress, may be it's just maintenance mode right now. But my cousin who's a physician (doing a post grad in specialized nutrition) looked into my blood tests, supplement intake etc with his professors and they all concluded that it makes no sens and there's a problem somewhere. Because my deficiencies are still very strong. Work in progress...
    Fingers crossed that your next move is going to put you somewhere that you will have access to better foods nutritionally. I hate that your are having so many deficiencies. And I whole heartedly believe that stress can seriously wreak havoc on our bodies. Hugs.
    I was introduced to a natural pain reliever over a year ago that I use on all my aches and pains. Its a topical and it starts to help in less than 90 seconds. Its great because you just rub it on, no heavy smell, it doesn't just mask the pain, it reduces inflammation. I put it on my stomach when its upset from something I ate and with in seconds the cramps are gone. If you want the information on it just let me know.
    I...my body composition is anyway different than average: heavy bones and lean mass too. I might need to lower my expectations at 20 pounds...)
    Sandra, don't fret my friend. I'm down to about 174-175lbs. Everyone tells me I look like I weight less, I know I do because the DEXA body composition scans showed my bone mass is heavier than the average woman my height and age. I am still wearing sizes 10/12, and I have been for several months.

I liked what Muted said ( and YAY! she is back!) I did recently buy a size 8 pair of shorts, but too tight around my waist. That is my new goal, and I will get there when I get there. With no formal exercise going on lately, I am just walking; I know it will be slower to get to my next clothes size goal.

You got this!
    I lost weight for 18 months. You've seen my weight loss graph in my sig block elsewhere (if not, it'll be easy to find).

At 9 months I was down 85 pounds (including 20 pounds lost pre-op). The next 9 months, after thinking I was done and focusing on maintenance, I very slowly lost another 15 pounds.

So no -- I'd say you probably aren't done yet.

Frankly, I don't know why people think they're through losing if they're still doing everything they did to lose weight. This stuff isn't magical. It's still IMHO calories in / calories out. Admittedly, some calories count a bit less than others, e.g., protein is better than sugar, broccoli is better than fried potatoes, etc.
    I don't believe you are done Sandra. It may take a while but I know you will get there. I think that you also have a lot going on right now with the move and the injury. I know it is rough to have to track but it may be helpful in achieving your goal. I am pulling for you. I know you must be feeling frustrated but know you have a lot of friends here to root you on. Big hugs!
    Thanks Christie! you are so sweet!
    You are right, I'm feeling very frustrated right now. The stress of the move not helping (still don't know where and when), plus other stressful issues... but thinking that I might need to track again is really really getting on my nerves.
    I do track once in a while, usually I'm always eating the same quantities so I do it only when adding something new. Last week I realized that I was under 1200 several times. And I also experienced that when I don't eat my "special yogurt" my weight loss is nowhere but the only store selling it has been out for almost one month now. Sunday I found eggplants, haven't seen those in a while. Finding the right nutrition for me here can be challenging sometimes.
    So I'm not sure I will be able to schedule one full day of exams at the hospital before my next departure, but that would be helpful to figure out what's wrong with me again. May be it's my hormones, may be it's the stress, may be it's just maintenance mode right now. But my cousin who's a physician (doing a post grad in specialized nutrition) looked into my blood tests, supplement intake etc with his professors and they all concluded that it makes no sens and there's a problem somewhere. Because my deficiencies are still very strong. Work in progress...
    Quote Originally Posted by Theresa2
    Sandra, I went up and down between 201 and 205 from December to March. Saturday down to 199.6, Sunday 198.4. Keep plugging away.
    Thanks Theresa! main difference here is that you do exercise quit a lot. I think that's one of my main problem, the lack of exercise!
    But you are doing so well it is very encouraging!
    We did see in here people who lost even at year 3 but right now I'm not that optimistic, I can't help thinking that I'm not heading in that direction..
    Quote Originally Posted by Muted_Tummy
    research is research and facts are facts......

1. sleeve...average loss is 65% of excess weight (calculate 100 lbs for 5 ft, +5 for each inch after) subtract that from your high weight...this is your excess. multiply that by .65. This is the "average loss" nationally by year 2. By year 5, bypass and sleeves average 50% of excess weight.

2. The "honeymoon" ends sometime between 9 mo and 12 mo for sleeves. That is, we could eat and do whatever those early months and lose (not that we should). Then, it becomes "work". Your body catches on to the new normal. You have to work your nutrition and exercise starting here and you continue to lose. yay.

3. stabilization.....when we see a stall of 3 months...where weight hovers up and down 2 - 5 pounds....our body is telling us "I like it here". Now, if that is not your magic goal weight number, then it will take work to go lower. period. Advice for us was to then set 5 lbs goals and lose the goal weight mentality. I want to lose 5 lbs. Work to do that. Re assess. Want to lose more? 5 more lbs. your body may fight you to stay where it is, so, if losing 5 is too much of a battle, focus on staying at current weight for 3 months. Re assess. Enjoy your new healthier life or go back to trying for 5 more.

3. mentally...try to lose the goal weight as the end all be all. Set other goals and see how many you have met or are close to (to focus on). For me....I have a goal weight number (highest weight in normal bmi), a goal weight range of 10 lbs set with my doc (that is about 10 lbs higher than I "want" to be), size 10 - 12 as a clothing size and waist under 35 inches (better heart health). I also had health goals...maybe your health is markedly improved since surgrey too?
    Indeed my research was done years before surgery.
    But:
    1 those numbers are an average and include those people who eat fast food after a sleeve. In my case because I have several metabolic issues, my surgeon was expecting lower numbers at first. But then he realized how serious I was about nutrition, along the way he told me I could reach a higher goal. Right now we are all scratching our heads..(I'm 10 pounds from my surgeon's estimate, 30 from mine, and I was just looking at being out of obesity, I would still be overweight, but my body composition is anyway different than average: heavy bones and lean mass too. I might need to lower my expectations at 20 pounds...)
    2 My team based their numbers on my specific case, including my health issues and my BMR (I was last test was in January). Basically with a BMR at 1600 calories per day, when eating 1200 I should be fine and lose even as little as two pounds a month. Not happening.
    3 for sure my body is fighting hard to keep what's left of it's bacon. My surgeon did tell me to expect it but was telling me I could expect it to happen after July (he based that on my results). Well, it's happening now.
    mentally it's complicated. Of course my health did improved a lot. But not to the point where I wanted to be. So now it's also about wondering if I was not dreaming about utopia...
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdogluver
    Hi Sandra, I believe you are capable of doing and achieving your total weight loss goal. You've already achieved quite a feat. It sounds like you're tired, a little depressed, and afraid of failure. You're in an emotional rut. Not to worry. As continue to move/walk, the stress of your feelings will be relieved because you're giving it an outlet. Even if you sat in a chair and exercised your arms and legs, you will feel better. This mood will change, hang in there, thank yourself for all that you've done for yourself - and be proud.

Regarding your husband's comment: that's sweet and supportive but don't let anyone dictate what your goals should... well, except your doctor, you need her/his approval.

You are a winner in a funk - it's alright! You are alright! Keep believing, because it is true.
    Hi Laura, thank you for your message ! so far what I feel is extreme frustration. Long story short my health is very complicated, my nutrition spotless, exercise so so (many injuries since the beginning of this sleeve journey) but the major thing is that my metabolism did change with the surgery. I was not expecting it to happen that way. Before being obese or even when obese I could predict my weight loss. Not anymore. It defies any logic! My surgeon is also puzzled by many things. We don't know why I don't lose weight right now, it makes no sens. I had an email exchange with my team, I might need to go back to the hospital for more tests.
    Regarding my husband, he is lovely (even if sometimes grumpy ) here he can see that I see myself as an elephant when obviously compare to "before" it's not the case. Probably still dealing with dysmorphia again.
    My stress level is probably 9 out of 10 right now, it's not related to the weight loss but it's not helping either...
    I don't believe you are done Sandra. It may take a while but I know you will get there. I think that you also have a lot going on right now with the move and the injury. I know it is rough to have to track but it may be helpful in achieving your goal. I am pulling for you. I know you must be feeling frustrated but know you have a lot of friends here to root you on. Big hugs!
    Sandra, I went up and down between 201 and 205 from December to March. Saturday down to 199.6, Sunday 198.4. Keep plugging away.
    research is research and facts are facts......

1. sleeve...average loss is 65% of excess weight (calculate 100 lbs for 5 ft, +5 for each inch after) subtract that from your high weight...this is your excess. multiply that by .65. This is the "average loss" nationally by year 2. By year 5, bypass and sleeves average 50% of excess weight.

2. The "honeymoon" ends sometime between 9 mo and 12 mo for sleeves. That is, we could eat and do whatever those early months and lose (not that we should). Then, it becomes "work". Your body catches on to the new normal. You have to work your nutrition and exercise starting here and you continue to lose. yay.

3. stabilization.....when we see a stall of 3 months...where weight hovers up and down 2 - 5 pounds....our body is telling us "I like it here". Now, if that is not your magic goal weight number, then it will take work to go lower. period. Advice for us was to then set 5 lbs goals and lose the goal weight mentality. I want to lose 5 lbs. Work to do that. Re assess. Want to lose more? 5 more lbs. your body may fight you to stay where it is, so, if losing 5 is too much of a battle, focus on staying at current weight for 3 months. Re assess. Enjoy your new healthier life or go back to trying for 5 more.

3. mentally...try to lose the goal weight as the end all be all. Set other goals and see how many you have met or are close to (to focus on). For me....I have a goal weight number (highest weight in normal bmi), a goal weight range of 10 lbs set with my doc (that is about 10 lbs higher than I "want" to be), size 10 - 12 as a clothing size and waist under 35 inches (better heart health). I also had health goals...maybe your health is markedly improved since surgrey too?
    Hi Sandra, I believe you are capable of doing and achieving your total weight loss goal. You've already achieved quite a feat. It sounds like you're tired, a little depressed, and afraid of failure. You're in an emotional rut. Not to worry. As continue to move/walk, the stress of your feelings will be relieved because you're giving it an outlet. Even if you sat in a chair and exercised your arms and legs, you will feel better. This mood will change, hang in there, thank yourself for all that you've done for yourself - and be proud.

Regarding your husband's comment: that's sweet and supportive but don't let anyone dictate what your goals should... well, except your doctor, you need her/his approval.

You are a winner in a funk - it's alright! You are alright! Keep believing, because it is true.
    Sandra, I have read several books on the ancient medical practice of Ayurvedic. Two of my books Conscious Eating and Food as Medicine have extensive information on the practice.

Key is consistency. And western medical reports on tumeric and collagen have found benefits of collagen do not show until after six months. There still needs to be extensive long term studies on benefits turmeric because as of current short term studies benefits are minimal. Just be consistent and as long its not interfering with any other meds or supplements keep doing it.

You know I'm a huge advocate of supplementation and have taken both long term.

By the way, I started upping my iron before my menstrual period these past couple of months, and they haven't been as bad. I have had less bad days so that is really excellent news for me.
    I try to take different supplements with each meal. I ask advice to my nut but so far there's many things I take she never heard of (well in Asia they use Chinese medicine...that's why also) but currently my cousin who's a physician is doing a post-grad degree in nutrition and trying to look for infos for my case, it's really complicated with all my different issues.
    But so far so good...I might try the treadmill tomorrow. Can't wait to be back on my bike!

That's great news for the iron!
    One thing that I've been taking for years is mainly evening primerose oil and also sometimes borage oil. Evening primerose is a huge help for my crazy hormones, at some point last year I did run out, couldn't find it here and my next period was one of the worth ever. My endometriosis got worth over the years, it's so bad it's visible on scans, so I do take that religiously because one bad time can send me to the hospital...can't wait for meno...a friend (who has the same kind of issues) and I will make a big party to celebrate...
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamera2
    Hope that continues to help. I have one knee that's really bad and full of Arthritis. Will have knee replacement sometime after I turn 50. I'm 46 now. One exercise that doesn't really make it hurt worse is the elliptical. My knee hates walking and requires a brace and it still a painful experience when the cortisone injections wear off. Food for thought if you haven't tried. Take care
    I've been taking turmeric for almost one month now and I can see a big improvement. I was able to walk 3 k yesterday without pain. For the past weeks I couldn't walk more than 2 K, stand or go down the stairs without excruciating pain. Pain woke me up at night at some point, it was that bad. Unfortunately the elliptical is not for me. Tendonitis is different than arthritis/cartilage damage. So far my cartilage is actually really good to my biggest surprise. I have what's called a "jumper knee" I was asked if I play basketball, made me smile. But apparently it could also be a consequence of my intensive ballet program done 30 years ago (??! WTH).
    Anyway, in my case cortisone injections wouldn't help. I was advised to do PRP injections (wich is my own blood in a centrifuged) and the plasma re-injected would be the only thing that could help repair the damaged ligaments. We are waiting to see if it would be necessary, hopefully I can pass it because that's quit expensive.
    Just curious, how far out were you when you started taking? My doctors office told me absolutely not to take turmeric as I inquired due to my hip issues, I am only 4 weeks out from surgery. I am however going to start taking Arnicare quick dissolving tablets. They are homeopathic and my doc and pharmacist said is Ok. I hope they help. Anyone with any experience?
Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast