Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

Blog Comments

A common phenomenon the first 3-6 months after WLS is that, as our fat breaks down and we lose weight rapidly, a lot of hormones and toxins that have built up over time and are stored in our bodies amidst our fat cells start leaving the body through our circulatory systems, kidneys and digestive systems. As they flood into these areas, our bodies reabsorb some of them -- making us (ahem!) cranky, moody, weird or even occasionally just nuts.

Many women and men report that early on post-op they feel more grief, anger, fear, and anxiety than they normally do. There are tears, short tempers, outbursts, and worries about what the hell is going on with us?! In other words, you are experiencing what many (most?) people feel post-op -- not quite yourself. Because you're not.

This is just one more good reason to drink lots of water to help your body that's working so hard flush out the toxins and extra hormones flooding out of your body.

BTW, here's a good thing to remember to be successful with your WLS -- just take this one day at a time and never expect that tomorrow or next week or next month or next year you'll be dealing with what's happening at this moment. When they say it's "a journey" they are not kidding!
    Same thing here!
    I lost the same amount of weight and see it a little on clothing but don't really feel it either.

Last time I lost weight it took me months and around 60 pounds to really see a difference.

So let's wait, it's coming!! and it will come quicker than we think....

My brain is probably not ready to cope with a smaller body, soon I will really exercise, it will help for sure. May be also massages like lymphatic drainage will help too, it did in the past.

I just think I will leave the scale alone, see my weight at my next visit, and focus on other priorities like drink enough.
    A positive attitude will take you far! Embrace it! Enjoy the journey.
    This journey is not only changing our eating habits but changing our minds, the way we think, the way we cope. Amazing how large of a part food plays in our lives.
    Sounds like your doing great. It was hard for me to see changes when other people saw them. I suggest taking a selfie once a week or once a month. Wear the same outfit each time. Full body shot and just a face shot. It's really neat to see the changes.
    If you not keeping much down then you definitely need to slow down. I was liquid diet first 3 weeks. 4th was puree, 5th softs. No steak for 6 months. You really do need to chew till its mush. If you feel like your taking too big of bites then go out and buy a baby spoon. Eating too fast? Set up your timer on your phone, take a bite, chew it for one minute. Wait 2 before the next bite. This isn't forever, just for now. You don't want to be vomiting.
    I'm two months out and down 35 pounds, and I can't get a full egg down. Eggs are weird, so don't get caught up in that. But I can eat half a sandwich or half a breast of chicken. That tightness is your signal to stop, if you don't and keep eating you will throw it up. That won't change. In two hours the pouch will be ready for a snack. I can get about four ritz crackers w fat free cream cheese in and that's it. You need to always eat protien first.,scallops have the highest protien more than tuna or any other fish. I also drink a protein shake every morning to get immediate protien into the body after eight hours or longer with nothing from the night.
    It's going to be trial & error until you find what your new tummy likes. Take it slow and steady, and you'll get the hang of it. I too found eggs very hard in the beginning, and now only like them a couple of ways. Continued success!
    I amazed at the taste, low sugar/high protein, count of Fairlife non-fat milk, and its lactose free. for 13 g protein a cup it might be a good option throughout the day
    I agree with what Kindle mentioned. I will also add that eggs to this day (1 year out) make my stomach queasy. You are going to find some foods will just not set right while others are fine. Good luck
    I don't think it's what your eating, it's how much you are eating. I could eat no more 1-2 tablespoons of anything solid for at least 6-8 weeks. It was several months before I could finish a whole egg, and it took me at least a week to eat a whole avacodo. So keep trying, but go super slow. You'll definitely be able to eat a lot more later on, but remember the goal isn't to eat until you're full, it's just to eat enough to satisfy the nutrients your body needs. We've let our screwed up obese brains control our portions for so long, it's hard to think about food that way, but it's the best lesson I learned.
    Hi! I'm two weeks out and experienced the same thing. I was so scared because I felt hungry almost the whole first week. I was only on clear liquids but once I went to full liquids and puréed I didn't have that hungry feeling. So far I don't necessarily feel "full" it's more of learning when your sleeve has had enough, you're physically unable to eat more. Don't worry, it's totally normal. I think as we progress to more solid foods that hungry feeling will subside. You should have guidelines as to the quantity you should be consuming at one sitting so just stick to that. Right now you are healing so just follow the rules like Teriona said and make sure you're getting enough protein!
    John, stay positive and follow the rules. Don't get nervous, it's a new start and you will do great. Your skin will love the fact that you are losing slower, it did not come on over night so as long as it is coming off celebrate it!
    I wish you the best recovery possible (regarding number 3 issues )...hopefully you will better soon!

I was reading that many people take Gax X strips to help with the pain from the CO2 but have no idea if it's really effective!

take care
    1. Are you a side sleeper? I have one of those body pillows and was able to sleep partially on my left side while hugging the top of the pillow and having the bottom section between my knees. Usually, I'd wake up on my back, much more comfortable for incisions but hard to fall asleep on. Never was I able to sleep on the right side. That's where my big incision used to pull out the separated section of my stomach through. You can have your mom get one of those body pillows from Target for 9.99. I wouldn't expect a full nights sleep for a while since you'll probably be sleeping on and off during the day.
    2. You need the full dose of pain meds for incision pain! Your mom shouldn't even think about reducing the dosage until you're like a week out. Mine felt like I was being stabbed all the time to the point where I couldn't get up and down on my own or even bend over to wipe. I loved the hospital beds bc they have those adjustable backs making it easier to get comfortable and get in and out of bed. The only relief I found for incision pain was through the pain meds. I did try ice packs which had a numbing effect but one they thawed out it hurt all over again. As far as gas pain, the only thing that works is walking, even if it's just a shuffle. Some use heating pads on their backs but I have not tried this. Drinking smaller amounts and slowly can help prevent more gas pain too.
    3. I wanted to strangle my mom, who was my care taker right after surgery, and she was a registered nurse! I had the opposite issue where she hovered over me too much and would nag me about everything especially drinking water. Maybe your mom should watch a YouTube video of the surgery to see how serious it is so she can realize how much pain you're in and how much support you need at this time. My husband is the worst caretaker so I was actually lucky to have my mom but sometimes moms just don't seem to listen. Earplugs may help you tune out the snoring. You need to put your foot down and make sure she doesn't try to take things away that you need. Does she have some way to keep herself occupied like a book or something? Can she make jello for you? Maybe you could have her write a log of the medicines you're taking and at what time. That was helpful for my mom and I as it kept us from arguing over how long ago I had taken pain medicine. Plus, it may keep her busy. She could even log your water intake since that is so important right after surgery.
    Just remember, each day will get better and things will become a little easier. I'm 9 days post op and the first few days after are the worst! Best of luck during your recovery!
    Hi John,
    Good luck and best wishes for tomorrow!! and please, please please, don't say anything about what's happening on Downton Abbey in your next post , I'm keeping it as a treat to watch after surgery when in hospital (Jan 20).
    I'm the same, nobody around me to share experience about weight loss surgery.
    Actually I'm not talking about it with my mother, she thinks that surgery is "cheating" well, of course she eats like if they were no tomorrow and is like a stick...obesity is from my dad's side.
    Parent's are not always the best to deal with, but they can't help it and are to old to change, with internet at least we can share experience with new pals online! take care!
    You are gonna do great! Dont worry about a thing.
    Good luck to you, no worries. I had double hernia repair along with the sleeve. Two days in the hospital. Biggest problem was not being able to pee. Had to be cath'd both days. Found out it is a common issues for men. Only spent two weeks after surgery on liquid protein due to I was losing weight too fast. Put me on soft food at week two due to constant diarrhea on the protein shakes. Heck of an effective way of losing weight. I wish you well, you got this!
    DON'T FORGET TO BREATH, SURG. WILL BE OVER SOON AND THEN YOU CAN MOVE FORWARD. WE HAVE ALL BEEN THERE. HUGS AND BEST WISHES.
    It is small steps but I would be a little ticked off if my family wanted to plan something and came up with breakfast. Even lunch would have been better because you could order broth. Your right tho, all the family parties and gatherings include food, used to be something I looked forward to at parties. I was always by the food table. Now I look forward to getting ready for the party. I still have the munchies that are out, but instead of a little bit of everything I have a little bit of one thing.
    It gets easier with each day.