Blog Comments

My five reasons:

I'm active again
    I smile more
    I enjoy cooking and eating more
    I'm not afraid to sit on furniture in an unfamiliar room
    I fit into things better, like my car.
    Quote Originally Posted by Claudia B
    50's? Hell I thought the 60's are the new 30's!!!!
    LOL...... wooowhooo! I'm 26 then!!!!!!!!! Thanks for correcting me Claudia!
    50's? Hell I thought the 60's are the new 30's!!!!
    I'm sure I will figure that out on the other side. I actually can't wait, the 23rd is the day, I"m thrilled with all your help.
    Hey Lorna, Didn't you know that 50's are the new 30s!!!!!!! hahahaha.... Just think how wonderful you are going to feel in just a few months, 6 mos and at a year!!!! Whoot whoot!!!
    I have to say, I was apprehensive the entire 4 months I went through this whole thing, then I came upon this site, and you people are what pushed to me to go forward. I never realized how many people my own age (50ish) actually were having this surgery and how informative, kind, supportive everyone is at any age. I am proud to say that I will be sleeved June 23rd. I'm scared, nervous, apprehensive but feel I have a complete support system (outside of my inside system) that understand completely what I will be going through, how I will be feeling, and will gladly give advice, love, care and support. I am so happy to have been able to be connected to each of you for all these reasons. Thank you for my final push
    Well said
    BRAVO
    Outstanding
    Quote Originally Posted by Claudia B
    I think it is best for me to weigh myself weekly. So I had hubby hide the scale in the garage and only bring it out Saturday mornings. When I was on the Bernstein diet, they weighed me everyday, but that left me feeling bad the whole day if there wasn't a loss.

For me, without the temptation to hop on, every day is good now, instead of feeling a kick in my self-esteem.
    I must say that the Bernstein diet is one that I have never heard of and I thought I had been on ALL of them! LOL

The scales now for me do not have that dreaded emotional moment it once did. I think that I am now learning to have a healthy mental association with the scale because it is just a tool!
    Amen:-)
    I think it is best for me to weigh myself weekly. So I had hubby hide the scale in the garage and only bring it out Saturday mornings. When I was on the Bernstein diet, they weighed me everyday, but that left me feeling bad the whole day if there wasn't a loss.

For me, without the temptation to hop on, every day is good now, instead of feeling a kick in my self-esteem.
    Well said Seth! I would never make an awesome mental health provider as I am sure I would be canned the first day! I tell it like I see it and if you have issues then its time to get real, get help, hold yourself accountable, make changes, stop making the same changes over and over ( this is insanity) and stop expecting people to feed your insecurites and BS.... As far a being politically correct??? There is a time and place for everything.... I read the book, Co-dependant no more back in the early 80's... I learned a lot about myself and This is REAL life!! I am not here to enable anyone!

Have a great day!!!!
    Graciegurl you need to stop reading my thoughts and get out of my head. I have been wanting to write this for a while now but experience from working in this Politically Correct world that we now live in has stopped me. I am not one that likes the TRUTH candy coated in any shape, way or form. Since I have started on this site over a year ago, I have seen many people come and go. I will say that it appears to be more and more of the "WOE IS ME" type of post then ever before. I have been comptemplating my envolvement here more and more each day. So many people want this to become a touchy feely sort of forum instead of a FACTUAL one.

Yes we all have different experiences and yes we all have valued input of some sort. BUT bitching and whining gets absolutely nothing accomplished. IF you are sitting on the couch all day long eating Bon-Bons you WILL NOT LOSE WEIGHT. You have to WORK your butt off if you want to achieve maximum results. So many people want to eat at McDonald's then complain about the weight not dropping. I am one of the few that does weigh in every day and I pay very little attention to the weight. My scale gives me weight, fat in pounds, hydration, bone mass and BMI. I weigh on that scale daily to make sure my bone percentage and hydration percentages are staying where they need to be. The rest of the information is extra.

Keep the REAL post coming Graciegurl and I will keep reading them. Now I am going to be insensitive as hell and tell you that IF you are offended by ANY of my post you have to choices. You can choose to SUCK IT UP and move on or HIT the ignore button. I am way past trying to care about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by terrora
    Well I am not on the defensive since I have not had surgery yet, but I think that a little more empathy is needed.
    Any one person may be down and not rational at any given time. They know everything in the replies here , but need encouragement...encouragement...that is why they are here.
    We have all been on diets where the scale doesn't move and I am sure it probably feels the same to them in the moment.
    Poster,,,have you ever felt that way? Was it rational? Did someone chew you out?
    Be kind to people,,,they are here for kindness, not impatience or exasperated people who may be further along in their journey,,emotionally or otherwise.
    As I stated, some people may not like what I have to say.... Sorry, I am not going to change what I have written just to make you feel warm and comfy. I absolutely dole out the support in this group and I even have a group called, Positive Thinking That Lead To Positive Changes

Feel free to check it out! You don't agree with what I have written, move on. And before you decide that you have an idea of what I am all about??? Read all of my posts and check out my group and please do not assume that I am not kind!

Have a wonderful evening!
    Well I am not on the defensive since I have not had surgery yet, but I think that a little more empathy is needed.
    Any one person may be down and not rational at any given time. They know everything in the replies here , but need encouragement...encouragement...that is why they are here.
    We have all been on diets where the scale doesn't move and I am sure it probably feels the same to them in the moment.
    Poster,,,have you ever felt that way? Was it rational? Did someone chew you out?
    Be kind to people,,,they are here for kindness, not impatience or exasperated people who may be further along in their journey,,emotionally or otherwise.
    Quote Originally Posted by 12NVDiva
    You can eat and enjoy anything in moderation and you shouldn't feel guilty at all.
    Guilt like stress is a killer! Moderation is key!
    Quote Originally Posted by sociologist
    If I want something sweet, I wait 20 minutes then if I still want it, I eat it. I have to be careful though because I too fear the 1 becomes 2 becomes 20:-)
    Yikes, that is a scary thought! LOL
    Quote Originally Posted by ACE
    I have learned like you only to eat something I think i really want if its really worth it.
    I had to only over eat once.. and OMG... that was enough! Working at a hospital can be a dangerous place for sweets as pts. or their families like to give us nurses and staff treats. Also, there can be tons of food in the break rooms on every floor especially during holidays or some other reasons to celebrate. (We nurses do not need much of a reason for pot-lucks). Where before I would obsess about
    the sweets or the food I now can have a piece of chocolate and leave it at that! As for the food in the break rooms??? I look at it and both my stomach and brain say, Uggg.... not interested! I am amazed by my attitude towards food now...
    You can eat and enjoy anything in moderation and you shouldn't feel guilty at all.
    If I want something sweet, I wait 20 minutes then if I still want it, I eat it. I have to be careful though because I too fear the 1 becomes 2 becomes 20:-)
    I also eat sweets once in awhile. But I found a lot of good things that are sugar free even candy. But watch out it has a habit of upsetting the bowls
    Quote Originally Posted by bikrchk
    I have a small treat nearly every day without guilt or bad side effects. I work it into my nutritional plan for the day. I exercise 5x per week which helps. I'm 8 pounds from goal and still losing slow and steady. I'm grateful I can tolerate whatever I like in small portions.
    WOW, congrats on being 8lbs away from goal!!!!! I have yet to get into a routine of exercising but it is only a matter of time! Planning the sweets into your total goals for the day is very smart!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by smile38
    I love sweets. I can't imagine not ever having them again in my life. I've honestly found for me it's easier to just have a bite of whatever it is - and then I'm satisfied. I'm done with the internal, constant fighting of "you shouldn't have that". One bite - satisfied and done.

Before sleeve I'd try soooo hard - to avoid the sugary things I was craving - but in the process I'd eat 20 other things I didn't really want or need. Not anymore.

If course it also depends on your sleeve and if it'll tolerate it. I've never thrown up so far - almost 9 months -and I'm thankful for that.

Best Wishes!
    I sure can relate to life before being sleeved! I now find it amazing the mental changes as I now relate to food. I hope this isn't just some kind of honeymoon period! Knowing that a bite of this or that is not going to send me into a spiral has taken so much pressure off me! Satisfied and done~~~ sounds like a good song to me!!! hahahahaha
    Quote Originally Posted by candik
    I eliminated sweets during my 2 week preop diet and have chosen not to bring them back into my life. I too was addicted to sweets and the more I ate the more I craved them. After a couple of weeks of not having any type of sweets or added sugar I realized how much better I felt and I really wasn't missing that afternoon chocolate fix or that pastry from Panera. I am 6 months post op and yes, I could have sweets if I wanted them but I choose not to have them because I don't want to wake up that addiction that is quietly sleeping right now. I've also decided that my health is more important than satisfying my taste buds and mental hunger so I continue to keep them out of my life.

I think it's wonderful that you know that, for you, the sleeping addiction to sugar is best left sleeping! I just could not imagine life without a sweet treat now and then!
    Quote Originally Posted by bessie.marshall
    I eat whatever I want and have been at goal for 3 months.....of course in moderation.
    See Bessie, that's what I am talk'n 'bout!!!! Living life for the first time not ruled by food!!! Enjoying what I want, all healthy and in moderation!!!!
    For me it is a slippery slope. One bite leads to another, and another. If only I could just stick with the one bite....
    I have been sleeved going on 3 years and i never gave up sugar completely but that is because when i do i get terrible migraines (not just the detox phase) but you are right this is something new when it came to sweets. After I developed dumping syndrome last year at the beginning of my pregnancy the doctors said ti was due to carbs and sugar as I suppose most dumping is but after tons of trial and error I noticed my dumping wasnt from sugar and carbs but from chemicals and processed food. But since figuring it out and changing my diet i still eatt sugar actually quite often but its in small amounts and its usually AS A MEAL. I figured out for me that if i consider my "treat" an actual meal since i only eat about 4 bites per meal anyway then I dont over do it. But I also noticed if i eat ANYTHING processed my food obsession rears its ugly head and i literally can't stop till all of that food is gone and then i usually have a small withdraw period. I have learned like you only to eat something I think i really want if its really worth it.
    Treats do not taste as good as they used to. I still like my Saunders Sea Salt and Dark Chocolate Caramels (I'm lucky to get through one). My husband and children are really into treats, so I steal a bite or two of theirs and I am satisfied or I ask my husband, "If I get XXXX, will you eat the rest?" Unfortunately, that means that while I have been losing weight, he has been gaining from eating my leftovers.....
    I have a small treat nearly every day without guilt or bad side effects. I work it into my nutritional plan for the day. I exercise 5x per week which helps. I'm 8 pounds from goal and still losing slow and steady. I'm grateful I can tolerate whatever I like in small portions.
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast