Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

Blog Comments

I ordered 6 bottles from veryasian.com I havent noticed anything unpleasant about taking them, swallow them and that's it. However I've been taking them for a month. The major hair loss (fall out) has really slowed down. I'm 6 months out. I've not noticed any regrowth.
    I ordered the stuff and I have to say it is the most disgusting stuff I have ever tried! You better drink a lot of water with those things! They stink and when you burp it tastes just like the stink!! I have decided I can't do it and will let the chips fall (or hair) where it may!! Good luck with it!!
    Luckily my hairloss has slowed some,so I never got any, but I do take biotin!
    I have read loads that pre-pregnancy supplements work! I am pre-op and have started to take them already. My surgeon said they may help but its the protein we need. He told me it would stop after 6/12 months. I may be bald by then lol. I might invest in some funky wigs ha ha .
    I take Biotin and haven't experienced any hair loss and im going on 9 months post op
    Actually I've had hair loss for 5 years, since my thyroid cancer. I have been a vegan since then. Recently when I decided to get the sleeve my NUT evaluated what I was eating & told me hair was falling out b/c I haven't been getting near enough protein (10-15grams) at all. So i began eating some meats & dairy products & honestly my hair has stopped falling out in handfuls. I work so hard every day to get 60+grams if protein everyday.
    I guess I am saying try adding even more protein.
    All the posts I have read claim it often starts to grow back 9 months post-op, so having thick hair, it might just start growing back before it gets too thin.
    Mine has just started too, I'm about 3 months post-op. I haven't been taking a much Biotin as both of you though.
    i HAVE LOST A LOT OF HAIR TOO. i THINK IT COMES WITH NOT GETTING ENOUGH PROTEIN AND THE SHOCK OUR BODY GETS WITH THE SURGERY, i TAKE 5,000 UNITS OF BIOTIN DAILY. IT SEEMS TO HAVE SLOWED A LITTLE, i AM SIX MONTHS OUT. THERE ARE BLOGS THAT SUGGEST OTHER SUPPLEMENTS TO TAKE IF YOU TYPE IN HAIR LOSS. I KNOW HOW YOU ARE FEELING. gOD bLESS...MEM
    Super exciting! congrats!
    Welcome to onederland......that is onederful. Good going.
    Congratulations, I know how great you must feel
    My husband has been adding the "no taste" whey protein to his food. This has helped as well as making sure he has a protein shake every morning. It's tough to balance sometimes.
    One thing I do is pack a protein shake in a little cooler with ice and leave it in the car when I go to the gym. That way I can drink it immediately following my work-out on my way home. Its only 160 calories (which I more than burned off during my workout) and 30 grams of protein.

I stopped tracking my food and exercise after about 7 weeks post-op. I had the surgery to end my obsession with all of that. But I understand that some need the accountability - so whatever works, I say! I also feel that MFP really overstates number of calories burned. There was always about a 200 calorie difference between what MFP calculated and what my elliptical said after 30 minutes (MFP was higher).
    I start every day with an Almased protein shake made with 10 ounce skim milk. It has slightly over 300 calories (nearly half of what I take in daily) and 37 grams of protein (I take in 85 a day). It knocks a huge amount off! My other meals are quite small as I can only get 1/2 to 3/4 cup in at a time, depending on consistency. I supplement in the evening (if I need to) with another small protein shake (I have several to choose from ranging from 15-23 grams per scoop) made with water.

You need to increase your calorie intake (focusing on protein) on your workout days. I know it's hard to do when you are trying to burn calories off. But remember, our metabolism is like a fire...it needs to fed or it will go out. Check out some nutrition/excercise websites to figure out what your caloric needs really are. They vary person to person (of course) but also vary day to day depending on what you r activity level is. Also, as you build muscle-you will require more calories to keep them! You may also need to change the caloric calculator input from lose weight to build muscle to see what the differnce is.

Also, look into caloric deficit. Yes, we want to burn more calories than we consume-but there is a method to doing so. For example, if you know you will burn 400 cals at Zumba, you should consume a certain amount before and after to ensure that your body "knows" it has cals to burn but will also utilize the fat reserves.

Interesting facts:
    Calorie Deficit + Weight Loss

Why Big Caloric Deficits and Lots of Activity Can Hurt Fat Loss | BodyRecomposition - The Home of Lyle McDonald

Hussman Fitness - The Scale: Caloric Deficits and Fat Loss

Best wishes to you...
    I am right there with you. My surgery was April 18. So now at two months out and recovered from surgery the stall hits. It is so frustrating cause I could not eat any more than I am, I no longer have any interest in food, I am forcing myself to eat the little I can and that's just barely 600 to 800 calories a day. Lately I have been getting enough protein but for the last week and a half no improvement at least on the scale. I am told this will pass so I am not too worried but I am a bit frustrated. I am interested to see how others respond.
    I know exactly what you mean, especially when working full time.
    Good luck.
    Hi Cookie - how did you copy with taking the vitamins?
    So glad that you seem to be doing so well post surgery. I cannot ever read enough of the experiences in having and coping soon after surgery.
    I have that same pain. I noticed it is worse when I bend over or if I am leaning on that left side but it is not unbearable just annoying.
    They told me to keep walking to get rid of gas that may be lodged in places in your body! Feel better ... Take it easy ...
    the pain in your side is normal. it last for about 10 to 14 days. If you wear a compression garment it helps alot. The pain is from the surgery. it is where your tissue is healing. if it gets to bad to handle I would talk to your Dr. But mine was just a pain that felt like a pin or pinched nerve in my side. congrats on lose. it just gets better from here. you will have you highs and lows but its all worth.
    My doc says you don't have to have to finish it all. Congrats. I am 1 week out too. Down 16 lbs.
    I read something about the pain, maybe talk to your doc., as for protein there are some really great raw protein drinks that are organic, and loaded with protein. Also there is a Whey shot you can get at Walmart they are good and have 45gm protein!! Worth a try.
    this sounds terrific. You are doing so good! Do you feel weak? Tired? Does eating tiny amounts freak you out? I am not there yet so don't quite get it!! Keep it up and keep us posted!
    Congratulations on your surgery!!! It took me about a month to heal 10o%, that month was a good one for weight loss, though!! The fun starts now of losing weight and feeling great!!!!! Work that sleeve!!! It's a great tool, but it's partly up to you working it, too!!
    I'm with ya on being woke up for vitals!! That was my main annoyance. I was so exhausted because the 3 nights I was in the hospital I don't think I slept more than a few hours at a time. And every time I finally was able to get comfortable enough to fall asleep someone was coming in needing to take my vitals or my blood sugar. I even asked the last night I was there if I could get an ambien and left alone that night. That was a big fat no. But I was very grateful to my nurses and aides and all the people that helped me and I was even more grateful to GO HOME!! I am glad you are doing good and it really does get better every day!
    Thanks so much Speedracer and Sleeve326.

I am not a single parent, but I am the one who does most of the work with the children, so by normal I meant, being able to function like a mother ( give the kids a bath, cook dinner etc etc) i know carrying the kids will be a no- no, but I want to be abe to do as much as possible ( kinda a control freak) I do have a really good support system so they will help if needed.

As far as work, i work from home on the computer, so i plan on "working" as soon as i come home from the hospital (after all i can work in my jammies and just answer emails and run the reports i need to)
    Hi, I am so excited for you...the longest part of this is the wait for approval from insurance. I am a single parent of two daughters and I am their sole support...emotionally, financially, and physically. I am 10 days postop and I feel great. However, I was advised that I would be in the hospital for 1 night...it turned into 4 because I developed a sinus infection and all of the drainage went to my stomach...a 3 oz stomach...need I say more. It was rough for those 4 days..I was weak and did not eat for 4 days either...my only nourishments were iv fluids. On my 5th day post op...I started feeling like myself...and I was even driving and walking more. I have taken 2 months off of work because I am a single parent and I don't want to have anything happen to set me back. If you are financially able to...I would say take as long as you can...if not you can possibly return in 2 to 3 weeks. I am able to drink fluids and walk on treadmill...i am massively excited...

if you need a support system you can always call or shot me a message on here...but you will do great. good luck
    Hi there, Welcome-
    #1 Take advantage of extra care, espically if it is not a financial burden to you, and if you have a support system at home (spouse/in laws/family etc)
    #2 What is your definition of normal? I had one friend take off two weeks (10 days), one friend died on the table 3x, and was in a coma for 4 months, and was on FMLA for 11.5 months, and one lady at work (not a friend) took 6 weeks, due to underlying issues that arose during surgery, but is fine now.
    #3People who have been Obese for LONG periods of time, will have sagging. This is good you are planning ahead. Start a "jar of funds" for the MMO (mommy make over). But your Dr is right it depends on the skin/the person, etc- my sister lost a lot of weight, and has NO sagging, no skin, nada. Just needed a boob job, because she became flat chested when she lost the weight. (She lost all her weight naturally through diet, and exercise however).
    Personally, Id rather have a little sag vs being obese ANYDAY!
    #4 Consider adoption. You have 2 beautiful children, Lucky you! We cant have kids, sadly. There are 1000's and 1000's of children in foster situations awaiting their forever home! (Sorry, I had to go there) But as a guy, I will have to refer you to my fellow female sleevers, who have insight.

Few things to consider:
    A- During your journey, you should try and find out why your a over eater, and conquer it! Talking about it is the first step, congradulations on that! This will help you with your long term goals.
    B- The Sleeve is a "tool" not a fix all, if you over eat, and eat sweet treats you will not lose weight, and be on here later, complaining about going through all of this, and not losing any weight. This is why A is important, it helps you fine tune the issues before hand, and tweek any patterns, and make new habits.
    C-Do not wait til the day of the surgery to start losing weight, as you said your doing the 5 days of exercise a week, that is KEY to your success, and keep that up, good job! But you can start today with meal plans, so you wont go into SHOCK (yes shock) when you start liquids, and phase diets for being sleeved.
    D- SUPPORT SYSTEM: In laws, parents, spouse, kids, friends etc. Your support system is VERY vital to your success (well, at least recovery). So choose who you tell carefully, and talk about any issues in advance with spouse. Often times, spouses feel 'cheated' or 'left out' when the new you comes home, and that can really wreak havoc on your life, the kids life, and your recovery.

Best of luck to you!