Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

Blog Comments

Congrats that is awesome!!!!
    Thank you so much for your story! Like you i felt for years that my body was working against me. I tried so hard to lose the weight only to lose 30lbs and gain back more. I even had to be very strict just to not gain every day. I felt so alone with my body's betrayal. No body understood, helpful friends and relatives assumed i didn't try hard enough. Strangers just assumed i didn't care and had an "over eating" disorder. Only my Family Dr. knew my struggle and understood it! He ran a lot of test and proved all the complex issues with insulin resistance, hormonal imbalance, metabolism issues that were keeping me fat. I was so fortunate to have a DR. that knew what was going on, and didn't give up on me! He is the one that encouraged me to get the surgery, and it has saved my life! For me the Diet part of this is pretty easy- I have prepared for this for 20 years- and it is so awesome to have my body actually respond the way it should!
    I realize that there are many who have even more complex issues with "overeating disorders" that can make the surgery even harder to live with, and my heart goes out to them. The counseling is so important to help treat the emotional side of this process! You are going to make such an AWESOME counselor because of you first-hand knowledge and insight! I am just so grateful that we all have this amazing tool to get to a healthy happy place that we deserve!
    Love Rainbow
    Hi Katemom,
    I can totally relate. I have been a very high achiever as well. I'm a nurse and have worked in ICU, Palliative Care, administration and middle mamagement. I have been teaching clinical nursing for the past 10 years. Being obese has been such an ill fit, though very common in nursing.
    My husband is a chef and we opened a restuarant 4 years ago, and I manage the servers and marketing as well, when not teaching 1/2 time. I have hauled this 300lb body around for 35 years and just got sick of it. My main motivation for surgery was to reduce muscle and joint pain. By the end of Friday nights i can barely sleep due to so much pain. I can't use the hot tub because my varicose veins are too severe. The surgeon will not touch my veins until i loose 100bs. I am 55yo and have so much I want to do, and slowing down is not one of them. So I did my research and I am now 1 week post op and can not even begin to imagine how much easier it will be to get through the day. I am either chasing student nurses or running around a busy restaurant. People thouht I had a lot of stamina before, well I am looking forward to more ENERGY!! I can't even imagine life at a normal size!!! I look forward to moving through the day without having to force myself to move, but to move effortlessly!!
    Yours is a fabulous story and thanks for sharing it with us. Welcome to the sleeved side if life and the very best decision you have ever made for yourself and your future. This is a wonderful gift we've given ourselves. I identify with so much of what you said here. Now we have the proper tool to help ourselves. Part of the reason I chose the sleeve was for the fact of the restriction, that I would not regain the weight I would drop. It too always seemed to find me just around the corner and added more. Finally at 100 lbs overweight with morbid obesity yet again on my medical charts, I said ENOUGH! Keep us posted on your progress and kudos to you. Here's to so many more years with your husband and family.
    What a great story! I agree - with everything you said. I never thought I would ever be one of those people who needed surgery. Well - I am, I did, and I wouldn't change a thing. I am 55lbs down since surgery on March 31st. I need to lose 40 more lbs to reach my goal. (I have the great luck of only being 4 ft 10 in, so I need to get down to 110 or less). Please stay in touch on this site so that we can see and hear about the next stage of your journey.
    Very inspiring story. I can't wait to have my sleeve done!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by cab1965
    Now, I eat to live and although I enjoy the taste of good food, it doesn't hold me in its grip any longer. I have a few bites, savor it, then I push it away. Hallaluejah, free at last!!! Best of luck to you and enjoy the ride!
    Yes! That is exactly how I want to live. I, too, feel like I have given a gift to myself, and second to marrying my husband and having our children, I believe this is the best thing I've ever done. Congrats on your success and your healthy new life!!
    Katemom, wonderful story and I am rooting for your success! I am 4.5 months post sleeve and am almost to my goal. I can happily report that it's the greatest gift I have given myself. My starting weight was lower than some people on this site but our stories are similar...years of obesity and the related self esteem issues...years on successful weight loss "schemes" followed by the crushing defeat of weight gain. I lost and gained the same 50 pounds for 30 years. So very sick of it but so emotionally connected to my bad relationship with food. Now, I eat to live and although I enjoy the taste of good food, it doesn't hold me in its grip any longer. I have a few bites, savor it, then I push it away. Hallaluejah, free at last!!! Best of luck to you and enjoy the ride!