Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

WeaponofMassInstruction

Why, oh why? Good question.

Rate this Entry
When visiting the surgeon, Dr. Roslin, for the first time, he asked why I wanted to have the surgery. My response was, "I am doing it for my health." He replied, "I call bullshit. Fat people are trained to give that answer." He proceeded to tell me there isn't any woman who wouldn't give anything to be a size four, implying vanity could be the catalyst and confusing me because I have a penis!
I thought about his question more deeply and admit it is not about vanity for me. No, not this guy. I mean, I still wear my hair long from my rocker days and sport an outdated goatee, looking like a chunkier version of the Undertaker, or so my students tell me. And health is a concern as I am on the wrong side of 40. But is that the sole reason? Hm...
I realize there is a lot more. Loads more. Boxes filled with dark corners and suppressed hurts and denied feelings that, once the cobwebs were brushed away, I unpacked slowly and reacquainted myself with the bittersweet contents. I am having the surgery because I would like to visit a restaurant and not panic if I only see booths, fearing I will not fit, or if there are tables, worrying if they can support my 400 lb frame. I am having the surgery so when I book a flight to my next destination, I can save the extra fare from the extra seat and avoid the stares of utter fear from passengers troubled I may be seated next to them. I am having the surgery so I can return to Europe, particularly Sweden, and not be laughed at, pointed at, or be ridiculed by people I don't know simply because of my size. I am having my surgery so I can wipe my own damn ass and be sure it is completely clean! I am having the surgery so I can retrieve a dropped item without having to kick it over to a wall so that I have a support to lean on to bend and pick it up. I am having the surgery to change my life for the better. I may still be an ugly (expletive deleted), but I will be a happy one.

Submit "Why, oh why? Good question." to Digg Submit "Why, oh why? Good question." to del.icio.us Submit "Why, oh why? Good question." to StumbleUpon Submit "Why, oh why? Good question." to Google

Tags: health Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

I had my surgery for the same reasons. My goal is not to be a knockout but just normal. It doesn't mater what he says...you know your heart.
    You are so right - but when I say I did it for my health there is a lot packed into that word - my heart, my lungs, my legs, my liver, but also my mental health (and all the reasons you listed). I hated that people would go out of their way to accomadate me. People still look at WLS as the "easy" way out, and we really do love our food - so as we trade off our love for food we find we can love ourselves more and enjoy other things in life.
    I understand exactly what you are saying.
    [QUOTE=healedheart;bt71489]I had my surgery for the same reasons. My goal is not to be a knockout but just normal. It doesn't mater what he says...you know your heart.[/QUOTE]
    Hey, we are already knockouts! Ha.
    [QUOTE=Lucy61;bt71491]You are so right - but when I say I did it for my health there is a lot packed into that word - my heart, my lungs, my legs, my liver, but also my mental health (and all the reasons you listed). I hated that people would go out of their way to accomadate me. People still look at WLS as the "easy" way out, and we really do love our food - so as we trade off our love for food we find we can love ourselves more and enjoy other things in life.[/QUOTE]

Fortunately there is so much to love in life, it is an easy trade. And from what I hear, you don't even trade your love of food but modify it. Either way, I am looking forward to the change!
    I hear you! It would be nice to able to clean your own ass! I just want to go to an amusement park and get to ride something! My kids know I will not be able to ride and know to get in line without even asking me!
    I had my surgery for health too. I suffer from chronic low back and leg pain and walk assisted with a walker. (or a cane). I am so damn sick of living my life like this, I am only 42 and to be having to use a walker was unacceptable to me. Oh yeah being able to wipe my own ass was a bonus too And hey, I want a pair of thigh high boots and they just dont fit my bigger body lol!
    Same here I always say that getting thinner is just the BONUS to this surg...being able to move and get up without asst ...travel with confidence ( we travel a lot) and not break out in a sweat and hyperventilate just going to the bank or grocery store...BS to ur Dr!
    [QUOTE=Jeanie;bt71497]I hear you! It would be nice to able to clean your own ass! I just want to go to an amusement park and get to ride something! My kids know I will not be able to ride and know to get in line without even asking me! :([/QUOTE]

My wife and I visited Disney when I was at an educator's conference, and she fails to see me for my size as she sees me with her heart, not her eyes. (I am blessed.) She pleaded with me to go on The Haunted Mansion ride. My heart sank. I agreed but had to get my own car as we truly would not fit in one coaster. Well, she was ushered in, barred in place, and whisked off. Then came my turn. I sat, pulled the bar down, and it stopped on my belly... the beads of sweat broke out on my forehead from the nerves. The park attendant smiled and tried again with no luck. He called over another worker. I offered to leave the ride, my self-esteem not only in the toilet but flushed and lost in that place where all the goldfish end up. He said, "No, dude, it's cool." They both pushed down on the bar as my wife looked on smiling lovingly and tourists gawked. I wanted to die or turn back time and diet! They called a third guy over and all three pushed while I sucked on. (I imagine this was akin to women putting on a corset) and finally it clicked into place. I was whisked away as well.

I loved the effects on the ride but the shame and embarrassment from the start made me slink back to the hotel afterwards and not leave until it was time to check out.
    I think when we say we do this for our health, mental health plays a role as well. Always feeling a bit ashamed to be the fattest person in the room or not going on the Boy Scout hike with my son cause I couldn't keep up or being horrified if my husband peeked in the shower while I was in there. All these things and more take a toll on your self esteem and after a while leads to depression even if we try and tell ourselves it doesn't bother us. I still have self esteem issues and probably always will even after the weight loss but now I know people aren't pre judging me based on my weight. Best of luck with your surgery!
    Very well put
    I felt your words as i read your post.. thank you for sharing your thoughts and experiences ..knowing others have the same fear i do for rides, restaurants and just being in the public eye that others just simply dont understand is somewhat comforting.. I am sorry you have to have the same fears and experiences that i do... I hope soon for all of us we are on the right road to change all that.
    ~R
    Updated 04-12-2013 at 07:49 PM by Risty (typos)
    Thanks for sharing!!!
    [QUOTE=Risty;bt71512]I felt your words as i read your post.. thank you for sharing your thoughts and experiences ..knowing others have the same fear i do for rides, restaurants and just being in the public eye that others just simply dont understand is somewhat comforting.. I am sorry you have to have the same fears and experiences that i do... I hope soon for all of us we are on the right road to change all that.
    ~R[/QUOTE]

It always amazes me at how we are perceived as weak for being obese, that we are responsible for our condition and, therefore, subject to ridicule or scorn. Ironically, it requires far more bravery for us to do may things most of our thinner brethren take for granted simply because of this prejudice, yet we wake up, dress, and go out and do it over and over. I think we deserve a little applause for this.
    The truth you tapped into and wrote about has really resonated with me (and others it seems).
    I'm always sizing up chairs to determine their strength, my high heels don't get worn now as I'm too heavy to be comfortable, my bras cut into me and I'm feeling terribly isolated.
    Wishing you all the best - you're going to rock the socks off the psych if you're obliged to see one.
    My health and my family i have had both knees replced dont want to have them done againg because of my weight my mom passed from heart and diabetic problems.
    [QUOTE=Truebody;bt71517]The truth you tapped into and wrote about has really resonated with me (and others it seems).
    I'm always sizing up chairs to determine their strength, my high heels don't get worn now as I'm too heavy to be comfortable, my bras cut into me and I'm feeling terribly isolated.
    Wishing you all the best - you're going to rock the socks off the psych if you're obliged to see one.[/QUOTE]

Already wrote about that nonsense. A five minute visit for them to tick off another box on the insurance claim checklist. Apparently I am "sane" Mooohoohahahahahaha!
    Amen!
    Amen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Your raw honesty touched me. I cannot wait to read more from you as you progress on your journey! These things you want to do will happen. You are going to amaze yourself!
    [QUOTE=OOOWEEBABY!;bt71559]Your raw honesty touched me. I cannot wait to read more from you as you progress on your journey! These things you want to do will happen. You are going to amaze yourself![/QUOTE]

Ha. I am not worried about being amazed as I believe I have a pretty amazing life and have managed to pull that off despite what society sees as a setback, my ample frame. I mean, I have been to Sweden, Russia, Poland, Latvia, Canada, and all over the USA. I have played guitar and piano and sang for years as well as had the pleasure of gracing a stage to tell jokes for the first time in May of last year as a comic and caught the bug and am working on the as a second career. I have worked in an alternative transfer high school taking many violent gangbangers in Brooklyn and getting them into college or into a new mindset where they are not so nihilistic. I can't fly or leap buildings in a single bound, but am working on a book for new teachers as well as a comic book about the gastric sleeve process for comic fans as well as hoping to break ground on a new idea for the medical field, a graphic introducion to the surgery. Not to toot my own horn, but I have blown a high C from time to time. The sleeve for me will allow me to do the things I have held myself back from doing because f the weight. Getting on a smll boat for a romantic row through Central Park with the wife. Riding a bike around the neighborhood. Those sorts of things. Thanks for the well wishes. This is our life and we all deserve to make it into an amazing experience. You only get the one go around after all. Ha.
    Oh, and I plan to take my wife back to Mickey's kingdom and get on every effin ride!!!
    Rock on, friend!!!
    You go Brother!!!!!!!! And very well said......
    [QUOTE=ibcopperfire67;bt71604]You go Brother!!!!!!!! And very well said......[/QUOTE]
    Thank you. I try,
    Word
    LOOKING BACK AT THE LITANY OF REASONS POSTED ABOVE, I HAVE MANAGED TO BE ABLE TO PUT THOSE CONCERNS ASIDE IN ONLY ONE MONTH. YAY ME!
    Yay, you!