Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

Just2Blessed

Pre-op Diet Question

Rate this Entry
Surgery for both me and my hubby is scheduled for the end of March, but I've been told we won't be required to do the pre op diet. Both our BMIs are 48, so not sure why we don't need to do the pre-op.

We have already started to make changes to our eating habits and may want to do the pre-op on our own. What were your pre-op diet requirements? I know it is to shrink the liver, but what other benefits does it provide?

Blessings to all our new sleeved or sleeved-to-be friends!

Submit "Pre-op Diet Question" to Digg Submit "Pre-op Diet Question" to del.icio.us Submit "Pre-op Diet Question" to StumbleUpon Submit "Pre-op Diet Question" to Google

Comments

I was required to do a two week liquid diet before surgery and was told before hand it was to shrink the liver. The day of my surgery I was told it was also implemented to see if I was serious about having the surgery and to see if I was going to be able to follow through with the diet requirements after the surgery (basically a test) and he said that he has cancelled peoples surgeries for not following the diet. Also it is done so people don't gorge themselves on food they feel they will never be able to eat again and gain more weight before surgery. Personally I'm glad I did the liquid diet 1st it was a great jump start on my weight loss and it was an easier adjustment to the new diet post surgery. Also it really got my head into the game as far as my dependence on food was concerned. Good luck to you both!
    I did not have a preop diet. Just liquids the day before surgery. Best of luck to you both on your surgeries:-)
    My 2 week preop consisted of lean protein, veggies, and less than 20 grams of carbs a day. I am so thankful for this diet as it gave me the chance to kick my carb and sugar cravings. I'm a little over 3 months post op and haven't reintroduced any of those foods into my diet and I never have any cravings for them.
    Thank y'all for your input. Just counting the days now. I think beginning the protein, fruits and veggies is the way to go for now, and I agree it will help break some bad habits. Carbs have always been my Achilles heel.