I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    01/06/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr Almanza
    Said "Thanks" 23 Times
    Was Thanked 57 Times in 45 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times

Default getting sleeved with Dr Almanza on Friday- what do I need to bring with me?

I am getting sleeved with Dr Almanza on Friday. I have my gas-x strips, some comfy clothes, I am bringing my laptop and cell phone with chargers. What else? The post-op instructions recommend washing with a non-body wash soap, and using Wound Wash spray. Do they have those things there? I have some for at home, but the bottles are too big to fly with?

What do I bring for post-op besides my gas-x strips?

2. Said thanks:

3. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Name
    Val
    Surgery date
    01/24/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Said "Thanks" 556 Times
    Was Thanked 320 Times in 264 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 14,570 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: getting sleeved with Dr Almanza on Friday- what do I need to bring with me?

I have seen several people recommend a heating pad.

I was also told to bring anti-embolism stockings, since I am flying from the east. Don't forget $20, if you want your xrays.

This is the first that I have heard of using the wound wash spray.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Carrie R.
    Surgery date
    12/29/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Gonzalez
    Last Activity
    01-03-2012 12:00 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default Re: getting sleeved with Dr Almanza on Friday- what do I need to bring with me?

Hello Angel. Im 6 days post op here. Gas x chewables worked better for me then those strips. I had severe nausea the whole time I stayed in the hosp up until the day I came home 2 days later. one thing i would suggest is a good lip balm. Your lips will dry and crack and peel. I forgot mine and I payed dearly for it..lol I used hibacleanse to wash before and after surgery. My doctor recommended. I brought my laptop and my tablet and my phone but i was so sick and medicated I didnt use any of it. Of course everyone different and I wish you well..Bring a rob and some comfy slippers because they will be making you get up and walk even if you dont want to. It helps move that post anesthesia gas which is killer. Im doin better now but at first i had my doubts. Im just telling you about my experience. I dont mean to scare you if I did. Just some things to make ur stay a lil better. Good Luck!!

Name
    Val
    Surgery date
    01/24/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Said "Thanks" 556 Times
    Was Thanked 320 Times in 264 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 14,570 Times
    Blog Entries

thanks for the suggestions, Carrie! Hadn't thought about a robe or slippers. forgot about the lip balm.

Is Hibiclens the same thing as Wound Care? I have some it, instead of the Wound Care.

Gastric Sleeve Member devilishlilcat's Avatar
    Name
    Catty
    Surgery date
    12/18/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Mario Almanza
    Said "Thanks" 35 Times
    Was Thanked 12 Times in 10 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 4 Times
    Blog Entries

Unless you have someone to carry your stuff for you, try and travel as light as possible. I wish I didn't carry my laptop because it was heavy. Half the time you can't get connection anyways and the other time you can just borrow theirs.

change of clothes: I only was able to shower once after surgery on day three, changed my clothes the next day then leave. Don't bother packing too many change of clothing. Its better to travel light but warm, you won't want to strain youself after surgery.

ear plugs : you might be sharing a room with 5 others and not all will be silently asleep, some might even snore.
    cashfor messages: Somehow I had alot of back aches after, cheapest massage was $30. Sleeping pills to take home were also $30. And maybe extra cashfor other drugs that you might need too. That is just from my experience, others might have a different experience.

8. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Name
    Felicia
    Surgery date
    12/14/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Last Activity
    10-14-2012 07:50 PM
    Said "Thanks" 17 Times
    Was Thanked 36 Times in 32 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 86 Times

You will not need wound wash there they will take care of that for you. They have a computer at the recovery house and I would recommend using there phone while at the house. Cell phone rates can be very high. You do need your own soap. I was able to shower each day so I would suggest at least 3 outfits. I had a room with just my husband and I but some of the other people did share with 5 people and resting was hard without the ear plugs because they had snorers or people with sleep apnea and hearing someone stop breathing in their sleep kinda scared them. Earplugs may b a necessitie!

10. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    05/14/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    04-15-2013 10:49 PM
    Said "Thanks" 16 Times
    Was Thanked 78 Times in 59 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 176 Times

There is a phone at the hospital and the recovery house that you can use anytime. I took my laptop and had no problem connecting. Tell the airline you need extra help and they will take care of you. I small tip goes a long way. The heating pad is a must I think. I was up and shopping on day 3. I never needed any sleeping pills after I left and they supply them when you are there. Watch that your cell phone does not charge extra for Mexico. I think most do and some are very high. You can look at your xrays and not buy them. If you need xrays after you get home I can bet where ever you go they will take there own. We did not buy ours and never need them. The pain is different for everyone. There were 6 in my family that had it done this last year by Dr. Almanza and we are all very happy. I had very little pain along with the other 5. The first day is the worst but you sleep a lot of that away. Praying things go as good for you as the did for us.

12. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    01/06/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr Almanza
    Said "Thanks" 23 Times
    Was Thanked 57 Times in 45 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times

Thanks for all of the tips! I was only planning on bringing my cell as I am job hunting right now, and didn't want to miss a call just in case, and find out days later that I had a voicemail. Still plan on using the house phone to call my mom and my boyfriend to tell them I am ok. I wouldn't have even thought of a heating pad. Good idea!