Scott
    Last Activity
    10-01-2014 06:41 AM
    Said "Thanks" 4 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default Sleeve or band?

Hi,
    I have a date set for 1/17/11. I still need to pick why I should pick the Sleeve or the Band. Does anybody have an opinon on whitch one I should do?
    Also would like to know what I can eat after surgery. Should I stock up on some baby food? (like should I look for a sale get food for a week or 2). I am not good in looking up stuff on the net, it would be helpful if I could get help.

Thanks SCOTT P, NY

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member me1issa80's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Melissa
    Surgery date
    04/01/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr Peter Rantis
    Last Activity
    11-23-2013 07:07 AM
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 43 Times in 28 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 45 Times

Default Re: Sleeve or band?

I have had both the band and the sleeve. My experience with the band was very up and down, from what I have read from others they also experienced the same. When I had my band I would get a fill and I would be fine for a week or two but then what seemed to happen out of no where my band was then too tight and I started to throw up and couldn't eat or drink anything and usually ended up in the ER to have some of my fluid removed. I had really bad heart burn with the band. My band ended up slipping after all fo the vomitting and I started to throw up blood. So I have to choose if I wanted to have my band put back into place or convert to something else. I now have the sleeve and my experience it much more pleasant. I no longer experience heart burn and overall I am very happy with my choice to convert to the sleeve.

4. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    10/17/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. David Kim
    Last Activity
    11-01-2012 08:06 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 92 Times in 80 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3 Times

The band just hasn't shown very good results. I know a lot of docs have even stopped doing them. Personally I think you will likely have better success with the sleeve and likely less complications longterm. This is a discussion that should happen between you and your doc though. As far as what to eat after I wouldn't recommend baby food. Most of it has lots of carbs and not the nutrition you need. I know I've heard some people use those tiny meat only jars but they are SO nasty. All docs post op meal requirements are so different so you'll have to see what your doc requires. I was on clear liquids for one week. There is a clear Isopure that you can have in this phase to get protein. Other than that broth is good and gentle on your sleeve. Any drink that's sugar free. Caffeine free hot tea is soothing. For 2 weeks after that I was on full liquids so basically everything from week 1 plus protein shakes. Two more weeks after that were mushies. Basically it was a pretty long list of foods but they all had to be run through the blender first. There is a unflavored protein powder by Unjury that's awesome to have to put in soups and other stuff to boost your protein. Your 2 main goals in the weeks post surgery will be protein and fluids. This forum is an awesome source of information. Before surgery I just went from post to post and read for hours. You will learn a lot on here. Good luck to you.

6. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member lisamarie0814's Avatar
    Name
    Lisa
    Surgery date
    12/14/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    10-15-2013 12:49 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 32 Times in 32 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 52 Times
    Blog Entries

I would recommend the sleeve. I'm 11 days post op from band to sleeve revision and it's a good thing I got it taken out because it was damaging my stomach - which my surgeon said is not unusual for the band to do. I had it in for 5 years and I guess I just "got used" to things getting stuck, vomiting things up all the time, and constantly worrying if I would vomit when I was out to eat so I'd scope out the bathroom when I first walked in. I'm already feeling better than I ever did with the band! I had scrambled eggs this morning which was a "no no" with my band because they got stuck. It's ultimately your decision but with the sleeve there's no fear of things getting stuck and having to vomit them up. Fills are tricky too - I was never able to get a good fill where it wasn't too tight or too loose. So that is my personal opinion and my experience that I went through. My only regret I'd that I didn't have the revision surgery sooner!!! Good luck with everything and Merry Christmas!

--> Follow my journey on YouTube! RNstudent0814
    Weight on Day of Surgery: 218 - 12/14/11

8. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member newme2011's Avatar
    Surgery date
    11/10/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Kelly
    Last Activity
    06-07-2013 11:37 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 89 Times in 82 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 368 Times

I would say the sleeve!! The Dr. that did my surgery refuses to even do the band any more. That speaks volumes to me..
    I also had a friend that had the band and had to have it removed due to complications.
    Julie

10. Said thanks:

11. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    I have not had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Scott
    Last Activity
    10-01-2014 06:41 AM
    Said "Thanks" 4 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

thanks for input it was very helpful

Gastric Sleeve Member swarizonaone's Avatar
    Name
    Kris
    Surgery date
    12/07/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr Alan Saber
    Last Activity
    05-29-2014 12:33 AM
    Said "Thanks" 13 Times
    Was Thanked 46 Times in 38 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 11 Times
    Blog Entries

I'll add DITTO DITTO DITTO to all the posts................I got the band in 2006. Lost a ton of weight (because I threw up EVERYTHING I tried to eat.) I got so good at throwing up because stuff was always "stuck" and I ended up having all fluid removed.............which I went to doc to check things out, 30 lbs heavier than when I started, to find out the band caused me a hiatal hernia, it slipped, all kinds of problems.................and so the doc said, "out it comes!" and now I have the sleeve and 20 days out, I'm so so so happy with it! I have two friends who still have their band, both having problems, both heavier than when they started.

yep, I'd go with sleeve!

Gastric Sleeve Member swarizonaone's Avatar
    Name
    Kris
    Surgery date
    12/07/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr Alan Saber
    Last Activity
    05-29-2014 12:33 AM
    Said "Thanks" 13 Times
    Was Thanked 46 Times in 38 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 11 Times
    Blog Entries

I'll add DITTO DITTO DITTO to all the posts................I got the band in 2006. Lost a ton of weight (because I threw up EVERYTHING I tried to eat.) I got so good at throwing up because stuff was always "stuck" and I ended up having all fluid removed.............which I went to doc to check things out, 30 lbs heavier than when I started, to find out the band caused me a hiatal hernia, it slipped, all kinds of problems.................and so the doc said, "out it comes!" and now I have the sleeve and 20 days out, I'm so so so happy with it! I have two friends who still have their band, both having problems, both heavier than when they started.

yep, I'd go with sleeve!

Gastric Sleeve Member WorkInProgress's Avatar
    Surgery date
    01/10/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Diego Velarde
    Last Activity
    10-31-2012 07:44 AM
    Said "Thanks" 11 Times
    Was Thanked 67 Times in 62 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 63 Times

I was all gung-ho for the band but after I talked to the surgeon, he recommended the sleeve for me. He does both procedures but felt for me the sleeve was better. I can't believe that you are so close to your date and still don't know which one! I would be a basket case! People do well with both but there seem to be a lot of "follow-ups" with the band. Both can have complications. Just do more research... you have to do what you and your surgeon feel is right for you.

Gastric Sleeve Member Puppylovemommy's Avatar
    Name
    Lori
    Surgery date
    05/13/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ramos-Kelly
    Last Activity
    06-19-2012 10:19 PM
    Said "Thanks" 16 Times
    Was Thanked 136 Times in 91 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 17 Times

There was no question about it! I was NEVER doing the lapband and happily waited for the sleeve and I am happy as a lark!

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    09/21/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr.Strom
    Last Activity
    02-23-2012 06:18 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 12 Times in 10 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 13 Times

well my opinion is the sleeve without a doubt. i can say this cause i had the band for 4 1/2 yrs lost 70 lbs then developed bad acid reflux the band had to to emptied therefore leading to gaining 35 lbs back. my surgeon and i decided the sleeve was the appropriate course of action. i only wish the sleeve was an option back when i had my sleeve in Mar. of '07 . that all being said everyone is different i know several co-workers who have the band and are happy and very successful with it. the decision is ultimately yours but you can get alot of opinions on here regarding it especially from people like me who have revised from the band to sleeve. my wife has the band she got it in Aug and has no complaints,she opted for the band even after the seeing me deal with my band for 4+yrs it was her decision and i didnt push her to get the sleeve i told her i support her decision no matter what she chose. anyway good luck in whatever you decide on

Gastric Sleeve Member sqezybabe's Avatar
    Name
    Mandy
    Surgery date
    04/11/2011
    Surgeon
    Miss Chang
    Last Activity
    08-03-2016 11:51 AM
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times
    Was Thanked 50 Times in 19 Posts