10/18/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Nguyen
    Last Activity
    12-20-2011 06:19 PM
    Said "Thanks" 28 Times
    Was Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default Food Smells Better Than It Tastes?

I feel like this was normal even before the surgery, but after the surgery, its so extremely difficult to pass like a NYC street vendor who is selling hot pretzels, or sweet nuts... the smells are amazing... but what about the taste? I can't imagine that the taste is as good...

I am a little over two weeks out and I've been eating organic low sodium fat free butter nut squash soups, vegetable soups (with teeny tiny veggies i can chew in my mouth), and some other soups... but I cannot taste them. I chose the low sodium for a reason - Most soups sodium levels are like between 300-800 mg...it's way too much for us who have had the sleeve; so I like to get the low sodium, or no salt added (so I can add my own to my taste)

But still...I am having a very difficult time tasting things. I can smell things and fantasize about eating some tuna or some lovely baked salmon with lemon sauce, but I can't taste it for the life of me. Anyone else having difficulty tasting what they are eating?

I made sure I was eating VERY slowly...It takes me like half an hour to an hour to finish 8fl oz of soup lol

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    09/19/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr.Parker
    Last Activity
    05-09-2012 08:01 AM
    Said "Thanks" 88 Times
    Was Thanked 197 Times in 150 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 136 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Food Smells Better Than It Tastes?

I agree! Things smell so good but I don't necessarily desire to taste them either. lol. I am eating regular now and do enjoy a few bites of food that I never thought I could eat again but its all in moderation now for my sleeve.

Name
    Grace
    Surgery date
    08/22/2011
    Surgeon
    Portsmouth Regional Hosp
    Said "Thanks" 919 Times
    Was Thanked 1,296 Times in 1,005 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 5,008 Times
    Blog Entries

I think it's a matter of your brain noticing you aren't eating as much so it makes your sense of smell stronger to tempt you to eat.
    Just a hypothesis....
    And, no, those pretzels would NOT feel good....
    Best NSV - fitting on a kid's amusement park ride with my 4 yr old grandson!
    CFIDS =Chronic Fatigue Syndrome) Also dx with post-bariatric reactive hypoglycemia; and chronic gastritis (both sleeve complications). Permanently disabled.
    Start weight 335, down to 218, up during gastritis. Have accepted there is no way to lose it with my hypoglycemia. Current weight 260. Currently doing 10 day sleeve reset and determined to get back down to my post surgical weight or close to it.

Surgery date
    10/31/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Le
    Last Activity
    07-31-2013 11:15 PM
    Said "Thanks" 16 Times
    Was Thanked 13 Times in 13 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 12 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Lglow View Post
    I agree! Things smell so good but I don't necessarily desire to taste them either. lol. I am eating regular now and do enjoy a few bites of food that I never thought I could eat again but its all in moderation now for my sleeve.
    So - you can eat a couple of bites as soon as 2 months out? Makes me a little more excited about Christmas dinner!

I'm not having any trouble tasting things. In fact it would probably be better if I couldn't taste as much! I can't stand much of the items I can eat - yogurt, cottage cheese - it would be nice if it was tasteless to me. Smells are killing me!! We walked by a Subway making fresh bread and all I could do was sit there and inhale the smell - I wanted to inhale the food, but I know better.

Gastric Sleeve Member Kay Black's Avatar
    Name
    Kay Black
    Surgery date
    08/18/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr Aaron Cernero
    Last Activity
    04-04-2013 06:05 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 53 Times in 52 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 70 Times
    Blog Entries

For me it really depended on the food. Some things still don't taste right, and others the taste is coming back. After I was allowed to drink coffee again (which I LOVE) it took until about 3 weeks ago, for me to finally say yum! Salty things are good to me right now, and I've heard that could be a lack in iron.

7. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Judie
    Surgery date
    06/17/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Kelly
    Last Activity
    06-03-2015 09:10 PM
    Said "Thanks" 32 Times
    Was Thanked 417 Times in 281 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 382 Times

I wish I were there with you - my sense of smell is now tied with my gag reflex... anything in a can sends it over the edge. I walk around trying to avoid any smell at all because I dont know what will set it off! :-)

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Surgery date
    02/10/2011
    Last Activity
    04-22-2012 03:27 AM
    Said "Thanks" 29 Times
    Was Thanked 338 Times in 168 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 90 Times

For me things smell and sound much better before I eat them. I am getting better in the sense that I have "relearned" the smells and tastes that my stomach likes a lot and those things now "wet" my appetite, but for a long time, I would smell and desire things that I know weren't going to work for me. I still do wander around the grocery store trying to find something that interests me food wise. My biggest problem is that I live on my own 5 days a week, only spending time with my partner on weekends, which means that I tend to eat a lot of maintenance foods during the week (mostly nuts and cheese) because I know anything else 1/2 of it goes uneaten.