10/27/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ewing
    Last Activity
    04-05-2012 07:28 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 11 Times in 8 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 25 Times

Default did anyone get depressed or become an emotional rollercoaster during 2 week pre op?

im all over the place, but feeling mostly tired and down the past two days. surgery is in one week. i wonder if its because of the change in the kind of food intake. and amount.

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member VSGOct2011's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    10/08/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr Guillermo Alvarez
    Last Activity
    07-04-2013 09:22 AM
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times
    Was Thanked 112 Times in 104 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 72 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: did anyone get depressed or become an emotional rollercoaster during 2 week pre op?

I had one meltdown moment that I broke down and bawled - my 7 yr old expressed her fears about me leaving to Mexico and from school had to call me at work (day before I left). I got off the phone after reassuring her and it broke my heart that I was leaving her at home and she was concerned. When I picked her up from school we had a big lovey-dovey evening together and lots of cuddles and I had a really long talk with her to reassure her I was coming home when it was done and I'd be in regular contact throughout the time I was away. That was it - otherwise I was a rock! I knew I was going through with it and I had lots of supportive people around me (I'm in social work so lots of people to counsel & support me on the journey...counsel the counsellor )

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    10/12/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr Forrester
    Last Activity
    05-22-2013 01:15 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 7 Times

Default Re: did anyone get depressed or become an emotional rollercoaster during 2 week pre op?

I had my meldwon in the hospital after the woman who was wheeling me from recover to my room stopped and called someone to help b/c she coudln't push me.. and I never cry!!! it's so normal, hang in there!

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    10/27/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Last Activity
    01-25-2013 11:45 AM
    Said "Thanks" 64 Times
    Was Thanked 61 Times in 36 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 11 Times
    Blog Entries

Honey my surgery is the same day as yours and I just scheduled my surgery a day ago! So tick tock tick tock, time is flying! Dont worry, its what you wanted, a fresh start, a new beginning. Too many people have been through this on here and with all of the positive testimonials I have been reading, I think we most definitely made the right decision. An easy decision? No. But the right decision for us Just think by June we are gonna be skinny! LOL! I cant wait to shed this excess baggage and run like the wind Thats what I am really looking forward to...to be able to run and not get hit in the face with my tit or my Jelly belly! LMAO! Ok , I hope this has made you feel a little bit better

Gastric Sleeve Member lavendargirl1's Avatar
    Surgery date
    10/12/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr Aceves
    Last Activity
    11-10-2014 07:14 PM
    Said "Thanks" 58 Times
    Was Thanked 35 Times in 35 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 21 Times
    Blog Entries

i have been really emotional. On verge of tears sometimes. I am positive it is due to food changes. I am 7 days postop and still feel tired.

7. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    Last Activity
    03-06-2013 09:30 PM
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times
    Was Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2 Times

I am somewhat apprehensive about my ability to be successful. No other wt loss plan has worked. This forum has been a great resource n

Gastric Sleeve Member shellnsons's Avatar
    Surgery date
    11/05/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ramos Kelly
    Last Activity
    04-11-2012 03:01 PM
    Said "Thanks" 45 Times
    Was Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 8 Times

OMG my surgery is November 5th going to Mexico alone and I have been so emotional..hubby not that supportive either..hang in there my sleeve sister

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    10/27/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ewing
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times

Quote Originally Posted by shellnsons View Post
    OMG my surgery is November 5th going to Mexico alone and I have been so emotional..hubby not that supportive either..hang in there my sleeve sister
    SHELLNSONS i a so sorry to hear that you are going to Mexico along and your husband is not all that supportive. Do you have any other support networks? I feel lucky to have a therapist, family that is supportive, friends that are supportive (well, some are and the others just are afraid of the risks). Reading this on line support group has also been helpful. I will keep you in my thoughts. I know it is not the same as "the real thing".

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    10/27/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ewing
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times

Quote Originally Posted by pedirn06 View Post
    I am somewhat apprehensive about my ability to be successful. No other wt loss plan has worked. This forum has been a great resource n
    I hate to admit it, but I am apprehensive about my ability to be successful after the surgery, too. I wasnt successful or good at following other weight loss plans and this isn't "magic" cure either. I think Im just getting more scared as the date gets closer. Next week at this time I will be going to sleep and waking up to go to the hospital for my surgery. Maybe we are just psyching ourselves out???? Maybe we just need to believe in ourselves and go with the process. Be thankful for this gift that we are being given? Just reframing my thoughts...

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    10/27/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ewing
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times

Quote Originally Posted by lavendargirl1 View Post
    i have been really emotional. On verge of tears sometimes. I am positive it is due to food changes. I am 7 days postop and still feel tired.
    I had to quit smoking and start my pre-op diet all at the same time. I am using the NicoDerm Patch, but its still so damn hard. Yesterday and Today i was it the hardest with the fatigue. I wonder if I am getting enough nutrients and protien. Is my body in shock? I don't feel like myself and feel kind of depressed. Will need to ask the doc what this is all about. It scares me because if this is what i feel like BEFORE the surgery, what am I going to feel like AFTER the surgery. I dont like to not be in control, do not like to ask for help and do not like to feel vunerable. I have been trying to prepare myself that i may be vunerable afterwards and need to rely on my fiancee and family for help. I dont like it, but its reality.

Gastric Sleeve Member TrailNurse's Avatar
    Surgery date
    10/31/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ramos-Kelly
    Last Activity
    06-03-2013 06:19 PM
    Said "Thanks" 36 Times
    Was Thanked 89 Times in 73 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 120 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by madona View Post
    Honey my surgery is the same day as yours and I just scheduled my surgery a day ago! So tick tock tick tock, time is flying! Dont worry, its what you wanted, a fresh start, a new beginning. Too many people have been through this on here and with all of the positive testimonials I have been reading, I think we most definitely made the right decision. An easy decision? No. But the right decision for us Just think by June we are gonna be skinny! LOL! I cant wait to shed this excess baggage and run like the wind Thats what I am really looking forward to...to be able to run and not get hit in the face with my tit or my Jelly belly! LMAO! Ok , I hope this has made you feel a little bit better
    It made me laugh! I am right behind you guys.

Add me on myfitnesspal.com
    TrailNurse

Gastric Sleeve Member TrailNurse's Avatar
    Surgery date
    10/31/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ramos-Kelly
    Last Activity
    06-03-2013 06:19 PM
    Said "Thanks" 36 Times
    Was Thanked 89 Times in 73 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 120 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sleeve2011 View Post
    I had to quit smoking and start my pre-op diet all at the same time. I am using the NicoDerm Patch, but its still so damn hard. Yesterday and Today i was it the hardest with the fatigue. I wonder if I am getting enough nutrients and protien. Is my body in shock? I don't feel like myself and feel kind of depressed. Will need to ask the doc what this is all about. It scares me because if this is what i feel like BEFORE the surgery, what am I going to feel like AFTER the surgery. I dont like to not be in control, do not like to ask for help and do not like to feel vunerable. I have been trying to prepare myself that i may be vunerable afterwards and need to rely on my fiancee and family for help. I dont like it, but its reality.
    It gets better.....I have actually been doing the preop diet (self imposed) for about 40 days now and at first I felt weak, had no energy and felt like crap. Now I can drink one protein shake and walk up four flights of stairs and run the hospital halls like a mad woman. I think your body just needs time to adjust to fewer calories. You might find this article interesting.

Brain serotonin, carbohydrate-craving, obesity and ... [Obes Res. 1995] - PubMed - NCBI

Add me on myfitnesspal.com
    TrailNurse