Surgery date
    12/14/2017
    Last Activity
    03-10-2018 05:06 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default Not getting enough protein

Hello, this is my first time posting. I was wondering if anyone else was having trouble getting in enough protein? I am almost 4wks post op and I never feel hungry. And when I do eat after 2 or 3 bites I'm full. I'm also not drinking enough water. I know I should drink more water but I'm not really thirsty. I feel like I need to start working out but I'm always tired. I'm going to make myself go to the gym today even if it's just for 30 mins. Smh I need to do better

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Glenn
    Surgery date
    02/02/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Perrillo
    Last Activity
    08-23-2020 06:45 AM
    Said "Thanks" 259 Times
    Was Thanked 475 Times in 285 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 177 Times

Default Re: Not getting enough protein

Getting in my protein and water was a job for the first month or so. I literally had a stopwatch / timer that I set for 15 minutes and knew that I had to drink so much water every 15 minutes to get to my daily goal. I used Isopure Protein which I could mix with water for a double benefit. It was definitely not easy, but it gets better.

Keep working on it. Make it your job everyday to get to the goal. Keep a diary of what works, and how much you are getting each day. I still keep a diary and I am almost 1 year out from surgery. I also drink at least 80 oz of water (most days over 100 oz) daily!
    LOVING MY NEW LIFE!!!!

"Never take life to seriously, no one gets out alive anyway!"

Remember, in this thing, it's a good thing to be a loser!

High Weight - 317
    Pre Surgery Weight - 291
    Current Weight - 181 OMG
    Target Weight -205 That's right, 205!!!!

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    12/14/2017
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times

Thank you that is a good idea. I will start that today. When did you start working out.

Name
    Edie
    Surgery date
    11/07/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Phil lockie
    Last Activity
    04-27-2019 09:56 AM
    Said "Thanks" 854 Times
    Was Thanked 1,179 Times in 902 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hi, Yep protein and water is super important. I still drink a protein shake every day. Like Glenn said it is now your job!!! I didnt start running again till about 5 weeks out as I was so exhausted, that didnt really go away till 6 weeks out but has been heaps better the last couple of weeks. Start slow. You will find that if you want to feel healthy and have energy you will make it work. Feeling blurrrghhh is no fun. I keep a big water bottle with me all day and chug away and I often drink much more than I need because its summer in Queensland and i reckon I lose a bottle full in sweat during a run. Try some low carb and low sugar high protein and mix with water. Read the label as I was such a dork and was drinking a high carb one for weeks without realising!!!!!

Surgery date
    11/13/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Perry
    Last Activity
    01-31-2023 08:37 AM
    Said "Thanks" 39 Times
    Was Thanked 113 Times in 70 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2 Times
    Blog Entries

I am about a month ahead of you and it really needs to become a ritual as Glenn said above. I would wake up and drink about 10 oz right away in the morning with my morning medications (which hopefully go away soon!!). I would then have two eggs either hard-boiled or scrambled. It would probably take me 1/2 hour to 40 minutes to eat just two eggs, but that is a good chunk of protein right there to start. I would then start drinking again regularly until about 10am. I would then switch from water to a protein drink (Premier Protein/30 grams protein) and get that down during the next half hour. Then switch right back to sipping water until around 12 noon. Then around 12:30pm, I would have a single serving tuna pouch/various flavors (best thing invented), another 30 to 40 minutes to finish that. Then Drink Drink Drink!! It becomes redundant but it it SOOOO important. I bet you start feeling better once you start reaching that water goal regularly. I would then have another Premier Protein drink between 3pm and 4pm. Continue drinking until you are ready for supper. I would usually have a piece of fish or parts of a chicken breast. Then drink more. I would usually stop drinking a lot around 8 to 9pm as I did not want to be up all night going to the bathroom. I would, however, keep a water bottle by my bed and if I woke up during the night, I wold take two drinks. I am a very ritualistic or methodical about how I approach this and it seems to work for me. Granted, I am not that far into this thing, but we seem to be in about the same boat. Glenn was right on, your job is YOU and nothing but you so make it work at all costs. You can do this and we will walk through this journey on the same path!! (Can you imagine how you are going to feel on 1/8/2019???)

HW: 408 lbs
    Pre-Op: 370.7 lbs-37.3 lbs
    DOS: 354.6 lbs-53.4 lbs
    2 Wk: 332.4 lbs-75.6 lbs
    1 Mo:323.6 - 83.4 lbs
    2 Mo:310.4 - 97.6 lbs
    3 Mo: 297.4 - 110.6 lbs
    4 Mo: 285 - 123 lbs
    5 Mo: 276 - 132 lbs
    6 Mo: 268 - 140 lbs
    7 Mo: 262 - 146 lbs
    8 Mo: 254 - 154 lbs
    9 Mo: 251 - 157 lbs
    10 Mo: 242 - 166 lbs
    11 Mo: 239 - 169 lbs
    1 Year: 239 -169 lbs

7. Said thanks:

8. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Name
    Dale
    Surgery date
    11/14/2017
    Surgeon
    Kathrine Lamond
    Last Activity
    03-18-2019 09:24 AM
    Said "Thanks" 615 Times
    Was Thanked 416 Times in 264 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 141 Times

Great plan, hookydad! I agree, getting water in first thing is a big help. I then do a super protein shake (Fairlife milk with coffee and protein powder) to get me going and then back to the water. I like those tuna pouches, too. Or I cook chicken and either blend it with pickles & yogurt to make me feel like I'm having chicken salad or mix it with a lentils I cook up with curry, tomato sauce, onions, & garlic. Then back to more water. I love scallops, shrimp or salmon for dinner.
    BTW, I rarely feel thirsty either. You just need to drink.

Beginning weight: 265
    Weight at surgery: 255
    M1: 240 (-15)
    M2: 232(-8)
    M3: 227 (-5)
    M4: 221 (-6)
    M5: 215 (-6)
    M6: 210 (-5)

Name
    Shirl
    Surgery date
    12/20/2017
    Surgeon
    Doucette
    Last Activity
    07-05-2018 04:47 PM
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times
    Was Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

I’m glad I’m not the only one, and I’m a little more than a week behind you. The struggle is real, but I a, super tired of the blahhh feeling. I’ve got to wrap my mind around doing better. Thanks for posting because the answers that you received will help me dearly.

Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

It is vitally important to provide your body nutrients. If you are not getting it in with food you absolutely HAVE to drink protein shakes. And since you sound like you are consuming very little, opt for the higher protein ones such as Premier. Remember that the shakes count towards your fluid goals as well. Sip all day long if you must. You can get really ill if you do not get enough nutrients in. And hopefully you are taking vitamins as well. Good luck.

Gastric Sleeve Member Luv49ers19's Avatar
    Name
    Cody
    Surgery date
    05/23/2017
    Surgeon
    Daniel Leslie
    Last Activity
    09-27-2018 08:02 AM
    Said "Thanks" 760 Times
    Was Thanked 547 Times in 375 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 275 Times
    Blog Entries

Welcome! It literally took me months to get any sort of energy...like almost 3 months! I forced myself to walk. Just get out and moving.

Like everyone else has said sip sip sip! It is soooo important to get your fluids and protien in. Just do the best you can. It does get easier!
    Hw: 260
    Sw: 260 10/23/16
    Weight at time of sleeve 209 (-51)
    Sleeve date 5/23/17
    1 month:187 (-22)
    2 month:178 (-9)
    3 month:172 (-6)
    4 month:162 (-10)
    5 month:150 (-12) (10/28/17) 6 month goal!!!!
    6 month: 143 (-7)
    7 month: 136 (-7)
    8 month: 131 (-5) made goal weight 130 (2/8/2017)
    9 month: 125 (-6)
    10 month: 120 (-5)
    11 month: 115 (-5)
    1 year: 114 (-1)
    16 months: 120 (+6)

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    12/13/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Dietrick
    Last Activity
    07-12-2018 10:40 PM
    Said "Thanks" 4 Times
    Was Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts

My surgery date is one day before yours. What I realized is at least for me in this first month making sure I'm eating all of my requirements is my job I am lucky that I'm retired I'm not sure I would be able to stay on top of everything if I went to work . Although a lot of people that I talk to feel that going to work has really helped them to get into a structured plan for their food and water . Since I am on purées until Wednesday I have just look for interesting ways to get a high-protein meal in. Chicken salad and egg salad or scrambled egg with cheese have all tasted really good to me To get all my protein in I always have a Premier protein shake and at least one bottle of Isopure. Between those two things you have your 70 g of proteins those two items also count as numbers in your fluid intake per day I think the water gets boring for me and I'm trying to put some additives into it I Crystal light or drops of grape or orange flavoring Keep the faith my friend you will make this work and best way possible for yourself this site has been a godsend for me

Name
    Shirl
    Surgery date
    12/20/2017
    Surgeon
    Doucette
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times

Thank you! I’m so confused. I’ve seen where everyone is drinking Premier. I like Premier but my surgeon and dietician is against it. All of the other bariatric shakes I’m trying, are blahhhhh!! One of the reasons I’m having a problem. Im that person that don’t like things too sweet and I definitely can’t stand artificial tasting drinks or foods.

Name
    Shirl
    Surgery date
    12/20/2017
    Surgeon
    Doucette
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times

Thank you

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    12/14/2017
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times

Thank you all for the advice. I went to the gym today. Yaaayyy me lol. I did 35min on the treadmill and 20min on the bike. B4 I left I made a protein drink. Just water and 1 scoop. I wasn't able to finish it all but I did drink about 4oz. When I got home i had a cup of tea and yogurt. I am now sipping on water. I know I just have to wrap my brain around the fact tht basically all day o need to eat or drink something. It just feels so time consuming lol

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    12/13/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Dietrick
    Last Activity
    07-12-2018 10:40 PM
    Said "Thanks" 4 Times
    Was Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts

Gbear what you may be disliking about the prtein shakes is that they are all sweet flavored have you tried any of the bariatric soups that are sold a bariatric eats it's a more savory taste and it might not turn you off as much

Aslimmerme. I know that at this moment it all seems like it's forever but I kept telling myself that this is just a small segment of time and the greater scheme of things so I hang on it does get better and as I've seen on the site so many people have succeeded by following all the rules that I have hope that I can succeed also if I do the next right thing

Name
    Glenn
    Surgery date
    02/02/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Perrillo
    Last Activity
    08-23-2020 06:45 AM
    Said "Thanks" 259 Times
    Was Thanked 475 Times in 285 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 177 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Aslimmerme View Post
    Thank you that is a good idea. I will start that today. When did you start working out.
    I started walking immediately after surgery. Within 3 weeks I was walking 2 - 3 miles daily (we have an aggressively happy chocolate lab so there was a continuous reminder about walks!).

I started running daily in mid April (about 10 weeks post surgery). Haven't looked back since.
    LOVING MY NEW LIFE!!!!

"Never take life to seriously, no one gets out alive anyway!"

Remember, in this thing, it's a good thing to be a loser!

High Weight - 317
    Pre Surgery Weight - 291
    Current Weight - 181 OMG
    Target Weight -205 That's right, 205!!!!