Dr Almanza
    Last Activity
    03-11-2013 07:46 PM
    Said "Thanks" 26 Times
    Was Thanked 42 Times in 30 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 155 Times
    Blog Entries

Smile My 2 months report

Hi to you all, I know it's been so long since I checked in but school kept me very busy and I hardly have time to read and post. Yesterday marked 2 months since I had the sleeve, all in all I feel great I'm able to eat pretty much anything I want I just started eating salads again a few days ago and my stomach has accepted it graciously. I went to a wedding a couple weeks ago I had a glass of champagne and a glass of wine and I didn't even feel dizzy I was scared. I'm not following a diet regimen per say I ate pretty much anything in moderation because I don't want to banned any foods from my diet unless my stomach doesn't want it. I always eat healthy food my weight gain wasn't due to what types of foods I was eating but the amount that I was eating. Although, It seems to me that some days I eat more than others by more I meant from 3/4 cup to 1 cup of food. It's very hard for me to go eat lunch with my classmates since they are not aware that I had the sleeve done because, I still have moment after eating when I feel a notch in my stomach and sometimes indigestion problem thank God for papaya enzymes they really help me with that. I started going back to the gym a few days ago I'm still in the soreness phase just doing cardio. I went from a size 16 petite to a size 12-10 petite. My weight loss is very slow sometimes it drives me crazy and sometimes I just forget about it. I always knew that my body was stubborn when it comes to losing weight. But, if I can lose 17-18 lbs every 2 months it will be wonderfull for me. My started weight was 165 and as of now it varies between 148-147 I can't complain because the last time I weigh that much was 6 or 7 years ago when I was doing LA weight loss. My goal was originally set at 120 lbs but it could be change depending on my clothing size and the way I look because I don't want to be bony. Everybody notices that I'm shrinking and some people even telling me not to lose anymore weight cause I look fine the way I look but, I don't think it would kill me to lose another 15-20 lbs. I'm looking forward for the next 2 months to see where I stand. So far, I'm taking it 1 pound at a time. No regret yet for getting the sleeve. Good luck to you all and much success on your journey.
    Talk to you all soon Angie!

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    09/21/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr.Strom
    Last Activity
    02-23-2012 06:18 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 12 Times in 10 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 13 Times

Default Re: My 2 months report

i'm curious your starting weight was only 165 lbs why on earth would you have this surgery ? also i am surprised that the surgeon even considered it. unless you are under 5 feet in height this doesn't seem like alot of weight to be considered for this procedure i am not trying to be critical just very surprised that someone of your weight even needs this. seems like some kind of excercise or nutritional program might have been better to lose whatever amount you need to lose which seems to me may only be 40 lbs at most ?

Gastric Sleeve Member ShellBell's Avatar
    Name
    Shelly
    Surgery date
    08/10/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr Bennedetto
    Last Activity
    11-02-2011 09:34 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2 Times

Afternoon all !
    Yes I agree and am a little shocked myself about having that starting weight and the surgeon allowing it , nevermind insurance allowing it. but first let me say Congradulations on your weight loss of any kind because no matter how much or little you want to lose it's hard to do either way! But, can i ask ? hwy not the lapband instead of VSG? I myself hit 2 months today.. exacactly 8 weeks and sometimes gets so frustrated that i've only lost a total of 23lbs in 8 weeks!! I mean two weeks prior to surgery i started my fast liquid diet and lost 20lbs even .. so i guess in 10 weeks it's 43lbs.. but still !! lol Does that seem slow to anyone?? Last year in September i had the band put in because i have osteoporosis and could not have the bypass because of the " No obsorbtion" VSG was NOT even an option at my surgeons office because it wasn't a stand alone procedure. It was only something that was done prior to having bypass . my starting weight sept 2010 when i started with the band was 350lbs... on 8/10/11 8 weeks ago.. they removed the band and gave me the Vertical sleeve because finally they accept it as stand alone procedure " yay for me " . anyway as of this morning my weigh in was 272lbs so yes about 70ish lbs lost in one years time.. BUT only 23 in the 8 weeks of the sleeve? is this good.. i mean i know the surgeon thinks soo but is anyone else losing this slow.. or did they? Granted i just got the ok to start back at the gym and still having a hard time getting all my water in.. i'm not drinking half enough of the water! Also i'm eating about every 2 hours because i get that empty pit feeling in my stomach.. not eating alot and making right choices but still having to have somethign small like melba toast with low fat/cal cheese.. maybe 2 toast crackers.. or a pack of 100cal almonds.. stuff like that

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    09/12/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Tanaka
    Last Activity
    04-11-2012 12:58 AM
    Said "Thanks" 4 Times
    Was Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 8 Times

Yes I'm having the same problem. I had my surgery on 9/12 came home 4 days later and was down 11 lbs. Since than (almost 1 mo) I've only lost an additional 4 lbs. Some days I'll be down a few more but than I'll weigh again the next day and I'll be back up again. I thought my scale was broke so I bought a new one and same results. I eat so good and follow the surgeons instructions and I just can't seem to lose. I'm getting really discouraged and starting to wonder if this was even worth it. I guess I could excercise more but I'm already eating 600 cal a day so I don't want to work out too much, I get too lethargic. I went to the doctors and they said my body could be in starvation mode and should pass but when? Ugh!!!!

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Lisa
    Surgery date
    07/11/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Follwell
    Said "Thanks" 328 Times
    Was Thanked 89 Times in 62 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 203 Times
    Blog Entries

You have to make sure you eat enough. 600 calories a day is not enough calories. I'm almost 3 months out and 50 pounds down. I find when I am stalling, I am either loosing inches or not eating enough or not eating the right things. I keep track of what I eat and drink through myfitnesspal.com. I usually find I'm not eating enough protein or getting in too many carbs. Keep track of what you eat and drink; that should help. Also, make sure you are measuring yourself so you know when you are loosing inches. I believe the closer you are to your goal, the slower it does come off. In addition, for someone who has 50 pounds to loose, it will be slower than someone who has 150 pounds. Good luck to all and keep us posted.

7. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    09/28/2011
    Surgeon
    Sanborn
    Last Activity
    12-25-2011 10:07 AM
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times
    Was Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

You MUST consume atleast 800 calories a day to maximize weight loss, anything less leaves your body in starvation mode and you will NOT lose anything but muscle

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    09/12/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Tanaka
    Last Activity
    04-11-2012 12:58 AM
    Said "Thanks" 4 Times
    Was Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 8 Times

Does that include your protein shakes? How many ounces of water should I be drinking a day?

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Last Activity
    10-22-2012 11:27 PM
    Said "Thanks" 9 Times
    Was Thanked 68 Times in 52 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 317 Times
    Blog Entries

Hey, if could lose a steady 10 lbs a month, i'd be thrilled. 15 would be better but 10 will work. I think the slower it comes off,the better for the skin. We'll see. I anticipate that my weight will come off very slowly because my metabolism is messsssed up. I am struggling to get the pre-op weight down so I can schedule my surgery. sighhhhhhhh.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    09/28/2011
    Surgeon
    Sanborn
    Last Activity
    12-25-2011 10:07 AM
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times
    Was Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

yes it includes protein shakes; other wise we would all be struggling to even get in 500 calories

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    08/04/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr Almanza
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 26 Times
    Blog Entries

I'm exactly 5 feet tall at my heaviest I was 176 lbs 8-9 years ago. I went on a bunch of different diet regimen workout with a trainer lose a few pounds and then gained it all back it seems like my metabolism got messed up after I had my children before the girls I weigh between 117-119 lbs. Even when I was successful on a diet which was LA weight lost I never went down less than 145. The funny thing about it is not my eating habit because I do eat healthy for the most part, I guess it was the amount that I was eating and the frequency. I didn't like the way I look I felt miserable all the time and if I didn't do something about it I was gonna get bigger and bigger and we all know as we get older it's harder to lose weight at 35 and 5 feet tall wearing a size 16-18 didn't look good on me. I took a loan and pay for my surgery in mexico no doctor here would have done it for me but, dr Almanza did my sleeve because my BMI was 33 and I was considered obese for my height. I didn't wake up one day and say I'm gonna get sleeve I came to this decision after a long journey and a lot of money and time spent to get my weight under control. I'm losing it slow it's ok because if I didn't do something about it maybe I wouldn't gain 17 lbs in 2 months but I'm sure I would have gained at least 5 lbs. The key to me now is not about how fast or how slow that I lose the weight but keeping it off for good.

Quote Originally Posted by spk398 View Post
    i'm curious your starting weight was only 165 lbs why on earth would you have this surgery ? also i am surprised that the surgeon even considered it. unless you are under 5 feet in height this doesn't seem like alot of weight to be considered for this procedure i am not trying to be critical just very surprised that someone of your weight even needs this. seems like some kind of excercise or nutritional program might have been better to lose whatever amount you need to lose which seems to me may only be 40 lbs at most ?

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    08/04/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr Almanza
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 26 Times
    Blog Entries

I didn't consider the lapband because of the refills and other complications that I read about it plus my surgeon was in Mexico and I wanted something permanent. I think you're doing good because 23 lbs in 8 weeks it's awesome I don't think I could have lose this much in 2 months even if I were to starve myself. Kuddo to you and beside you have to give your body time to adjust and your metabolism time to get use to your new eating habits. I did started to worried and complained about not losing it fast enough and then I think about it and realize that I wasn't in it for a quick fix but rather for a lifetime changement and commitment. If you can view it that way it will come off right under your eyes without you realizing it. Good luck and be strong it's a long road but we will make it.

Quote Originally Posted by ShellBell View Post
    Afternoon all !
    Yes I agree and am a little shocked myself about having that starting weight and the surgeon allowing it , nevermind insurance allowing it. but first let me say Congradulations on your weight loss of any kind because no matter how much or little you want to lose it's hard to do either way! But, can i ask ? hwy not the lapband instead of VSG? I myself hit 2 months today.. exacactly 8 weeks and sometimes gets so frustrated that i've only lost a total of 23lbs in 8 weeks!! I mean two weeks prior to surgery i started my fast liquid diet and lost 20lbs even .. so i guess in 10 weeks it's 43lbs.. but still !! lol Does that seem slow to anyone?? Last year in September i had the band put in because i have osteoporosis and could not have the bypass because of the " No obsorbtion" VSG was NOT even an option at my surgeons office because it wasn't a stand alone procedure. It was only something that was done prior to having bypass . my starting weight sept 2010 when i started with the band was 350lbs... on 8/10/11 8 weeks ago.. they removed the band and gave me the Vertical sleeve because finally they accept it as stand alone procedure " yay for me " . anyway as of this morning my weigh in was 272lbs so yes about 70ish lbs lost in one years time.. BUT only 23 in the 8 weeks of the sleeve? is this good.. i mean i know the surgeon thinks soo but is anyone else losing this slow.. or did they? Granted i just got the ok to start back at the gym and still having a hard time getting all my water in.. i'm not drinking half enough of the water! Also i'm eating about every 2 hours because i get that empty pit feeling in my stomach.. not eating alot and making right choices but still having to have somethign small like melba toast with low fat/cal cheese.. maybe 2 toast crackers.. or a pack of 100cal almonds.. stuff like that

Gastric Sleeve Member woodberries's Avatar
    Name
    Heather
    Surgery date
    07/29/2011
    Surgeon
    Djorstead
    Last Activity
    11-18-2021 02:26 PM
    Said "Thanks" 33 Times
    Was Thanked 30 Times in 27 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 6 Times

Afternoon all !
    I myself hit 2 months today.. exacactly 8 weeks and sometimes gets so frustrated that i've only lost a total of 23lbs in 8 weeks!!
    I have had a lot of frustration myself. The only thing that got it going was careful watching of calories, protein and carbs on myfitnesspal (its' quite easy). I have to limit my carbs as much as I can (usually <50 but some ppl manage <30). My doctor said 500-800 cals/day. But 500 is really SO little if you want to get at least 50g protein. And I want to get in veggies, even though I know my body has its vitamins. IF I have a carbie day (not even as much as I used to eat) I gain weight.

Today I got out the wii and played wii walk. It was quite fun and a good start to exercise (which I've been delaying!). And when I checked my test strips, I have ketones again--meaning my body is burning fat!

Having a great scale is helpful. My digital scale shows parts of pounds so you feel a lot better weighing 247.8 than staying at 248! I have the EatSmart Precision Premium Digital Bathroom Scale that you can get at walmart.com or amazon. What a great purchase!

The urine test strips I use mainly help me know if I'm getting enough fluids (specific gravity) and if I'm getting ketones (fat burning residue). So far I haven't got the specific gravity to normal range, but I'm working on those fluids! Kind of hooked on those strips!

Hope this is helpful. I understand your pain, for sure! I was so frustrated this weekend I ate a bunch of carbs and gained, but I'm back down past my lowest. sigh. it's not easy, is it?!

Gastric Sleeve Member Jessica D's Avatar
    Surgery date
    09/09/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Mandelbaum
    Last Activity
    08-04-2012 02:40 PM
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times
    Was Thanked 26 Times in 24 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 119 Times
    Blog Entries

I need to start tracking my calories. I have the app on my phone, but my phone is SOOO slow right now. I will be getting a new phone in a few weeks, so maybe that will help. I keep track of it on paper, and mentally, but some days, I only get in my 48 ounces of water, as I get tired of drinking, and then timing before I can eat, and after I eat. So I am going to try to add additional water in. It may get easier once I go back to work.

Name
    Rae
    Surgery date
    09/28/2011
    Surgeon
    Hoehn
    Said "Thanks" 114 Times
    Was Thanked 212 Times in 192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 132 Times

i'm not drinking half enough of the water! Also i'm eating about every 2 hours because i get that empty pit feeling in my stomach..
    That empty feeling is most likely thirst not hunger. If you really feel like you have to have something to eat it might be stomach acid causing this feeling and you can try eating a couple of Tums with calcium and continue drinking fluids. It has done wonders for me. Good luck!

Gastric Sleeve Member supersmile37's Avatar
    Surgery date
    09/01/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr Noel Williams
    Last Activity
    04-10-2012 01:34 PM
    Said "Thanks" 4 Times
    Was Thanked 61 Times in 51 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 39 Times

I track my calories and protien and carbs on sparkpeople.com it is a great site. They also have boards for Sleevers. so it is a good resource. I have had horrid gastirc reflux and only getting in 300-400 calories. My weight loss stalled.

The nutrionist said 800-1000 calories once you are 8 weeks out to maximize weight loss. I am trying it will be difficlut. But I am going to Rome at 9 weeks out so I think I might be able to get some good Italian food to boost the calories. But will need to watch the carbs.

Good luck with your weight loss and keep on swimming.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast