12/22/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Hany Basson
    Last Activity
    12-29-2022 08:02 AM
    Said "Thanks" 72 Times
    Was Thanked 63 Times in 31 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default Hotel Buffet Breakfast Suck, And other things...

Gang,
    Not sure you will agree with me 26DPO, arrived in Milan yesterday afternoon, didn't pack my normal GSS food supplies, I am 26 Days old and I am in Italy. What could go wrong....... Monday's, many nearby walkable restaurants are closed, I found this out by my keen sense of the Italian language plus the doors were locked and the lights were off.... The select few do open at 7:30 PM. Walkable in Italy could mean 3 to 4 kilometers or better, Night Air @ -5 with the north wind coming off the lake was an added extra..... Actually, I am in Arona at the base of the Italian Alps, we are definitely not in Kansas anymore JoJo... Go up this street about 2 klicks the oxygen station will be on the right, then turn and go straight up the hill, before you get to the top (Summit), you will see a sign entering Switzerland. I was waiting for Bear Grylls run past and tackle a mountain goat to feed the celebrities...Didn't happen.... Anyway, Well I didn't make it to the top, upon returning back to the Hotel a chorus of, "come è stata la passeggiata" .... Happy strolling or some such nonsense!

Okay that was the preamble.

I woke up this morning with a killer headache, phone buzzing congratulation on exceeding my steps goal, mostly vertical, calorie count for yesterday was below 500. Went down stairs for breakfast, OKAY... Plate loaded, espresso poured, 2 bites, 50 chews and it was all over....

I did ask the waiter why no one was swiming in the lake.. "come un pesce"

Everyone Have a Great Day!! ""Vi auguro una buona giornata""

When in Rome....... J Out

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have not had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    10/26/2016
    Surgeon
    Taiwan Kim
    Last Activity
    08-02-2019 07:10 AM
    Said "Thanks" 4 Times
    Was Thanked 199 Times in 138 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 7 Times

Default Re: Hotel Buffet Breakfast Suck, And other things...

I went to a buffet the other night at my club, just to be sociable...waste of money for me. I WANTED everything, couldn't eat much at all. Oh well, at least I didn't gain 5 pounds overnight like I would have before the surgery!

Gastric Sleeve Member Leslieann's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    leslie
    Surgery date
    01/05/2017
    Surgeon
    Shillingford
    Last Activity
    02-05-2019 07:55 PM
    Said "Thanks" 77 Times
    Was Thanked 88 Times in 76 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 41 Times
    Blog Entries

Italy!! Awesome! Enjoy

Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

How was your walk? is the phrase. Sorry, I am 1/2 Italian. At any rate, Italian breakfasts are not what you normally find in the US. While hotels will provide eggs, deli meats, yogurts, cereals, and breads, most Italians have a coffee and brioche for breakfast. Or maybe some melba toast with jam. I laugh that you brought up buffets because every time I see a buffet commercial I think about how now it would be such a waste to go to one with my 2-3 bites of food. Not that I mind, I am glad not to be a glutton anymore. Buffets always made me feel like I had to eat a lot just because it was a buffet. It was a twisted kind of mentality. Glad to get that out of my system. LOL.
    Is this your first time in Italy? It makes me sad that you're doing it at 26 days when you cannot really enjoy the foods that Italy has to offer. I am most likely going back in July as my dad is getting remarried. (My mother passed 2 years ago and thankfully he has found someone to be happy again.) I will be 8 months post op. Wonder how much I will be able to enjoy my meals there. Even small amounts of it will be heavenly.

Gastric Sleeve Member julieaponte's Avatar
    Name
    Julie
    Surgery date
    12/06/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Yamamura
    Last Activity
    07-22-2019 12:26 PM
    Said "Thanks" 71 Times
    Was Thanked 41 Times in 34 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 17 Times
    Blog Entries

I am due to have my surgery in June 2017 and have a vacation planned in August for Italy for a family reunion in Lettere. I debated postponing my surgery until after my trip so I can enjoy the food but decided nothing is stopping me from this goal. I have to stop postponing my health (which I always do). I'm so excited for both the surgery and the trip. I've never been out of the US. I would really like to make this trip a thinner me though. Hopefully I can drop enough weight from now until the surgery to make a difference being comfortable on the plane because there is not much time between my surgery and my trip. Any advice on traveling so soon after surgery are welcome. I hope you have any amazing time!

7. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

Compression socks for the long flight. Make sure you have your vitamins. Stay hydrated. You'll be surprised how much you'll drop in 2 months. Just know you most likely won't be able to eat more than 2 bites by then. I'm almost 11 weeks and I eat between 2-3 bites at a sitting still. Regardless, it's Italy. You're going to enjoy it!!!

Gastric Sleeve Member julieaponte's Avatar
    Name
    Julie
    Surgery date
    12/06/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Yamamura
    Last Activity
    07-22-2019 12:26 PM
    Said "Thanks" 71 Times
    Was Thanked 41 Times in 34 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 17 Times
    Blog Entries

Great advice, thanks!! I not disappointed at all about not being able to eat much of the food. I am sooo looking forward to that part actually. I can't wait to lose the weight. I'm so ready to stop carrying all this around on my body. You are absolutely right...it's Italy! Woohoo!

Name
    Sandra
    Surgery date
    01/20/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr W
    Last Activity
    06-25-2020 09:15 AM
    Said "Thanks" 290 Times
    Was Thanked 1,067 Times in 752 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 480 Times
    Blog Entries

I travel often and took my first long flight (12 hours) when I was 6 weeks out. The most important for me is to get a bottle of water right after security/immigration because you don't want to wait for the flight attendant to come, it could take a while. One time I forgot and was really thirsty. I usually traveled with protein bars in my bag because I was not sure I would find something I could eat on the tray (usually when I travel I usually order vegan) mainly because I was nauseous for more than six months and sometimes couldn't stand food smell, especially in planes. I was able to find a little something to have for each flight and only used my protein bar once.
    If I stay more than one week, I order one protein tub so it's there when I arrive and don't have to go through custom with some unidentified powder in my carry on. Usually when I travel with my kids I never get controlled but by myself always. So I don't take my protein powder with me, it saves time. Also keep all your vitamins and medication in their original container. Don't put it in a pill box because customs could take it too. If you have "strong" medication with you don't forget your prescription.

HW : 150 kgs
    09/02/2014 : 142 /1st apt
    01/20/2016 : 134 /surgery
    01/30/2016 : 130 /1st post-op
    02/27/2016 : 126 /2nd
    04/23/2016 : 118 /3rd
    07/16/2016 : 109 / 4th
    10/01/2016 : 103 /5th
    01/21/2017 : 98 /1 year post-op
    February 2017 : 100 lbs lost
    07/22/2017 : 96
    10/21/2017 : 93