10/19/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Kelly
    Last Activity
    03-12-2016 09:52 PM
    Said "Thanks" 42 Times
    Was Thanked 38 Times in 36 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 47 Times

Default Well my Hubby WAS supportive.....

....and now...it doesn't seem so at all. In August, I was visiting a friend and she was telling me about a friend of hers that had gotten the sleeve. I had never heard of such a thing. So that night I googled "WLS Sleeve" and started reading...and watching youtube videos. The more I read and the more I watched, the more excited I got.
    I asked my friend if I could talk to her friend. Come to find out it was someone I actually knew. (small world) She and her husband had both been sleeved by Dr. Ramos Kelly. She couldn't speak highly enough about him and his staff.

It felt as though a ray of hope had just been given to me. Like many of you, I have been battling this weight thing for the majority of my life. I have tried so hard, so many times to lose weight ... only to regain it all back. I battled a rare strain of Breast Cancer, and I am 4 year survivor. I have really bad scars left over from my mastectomies, and I want to have breast reconstruction. However, I want new ones, on a new body.

At first my hubby was on board with me. I asked him and he said yes. I booked the flight long ago, with his ok. Now, granted at the time I had no idea where I was going to come up with the money. We don't have an extra surplus of cash on hand, nor do we have insurance. I have been saving money for the past month and I did have a rummage sale so I was able to have the deposit. I was approved for a loan on Friday, so everything is a go.

He won't stop me from going. But it still would be nice if he was just excited about this as I am.

Every time I think about this surgery I just get butterflies. I really haven't stopped smiling since I made the decision to go. Just thinking of this coming year and the things I will be doing-- without weight restrictions. Going to the Amusement Park-- riding on all the rides, including the water slides! Getting our pictures taken at the old tyme photo shop. Rafting with my kids. Biking, hiking, finding the geo caches up in the mountains. Going down the zipline, and the alpine slides...the list is endless.

Reading all of the success stories, looking at the pictures, and knowing...that too - will be me. The feeling can't be described, only understood by all of you. Press on...

Blessings,
    Tracy

Highest Weight 6/24/11 • 287
    Starting Weight 9/7/11 • 275
    Pre-Op Weight 10/5/11 • 258
    Surgery Weight 10/19/11 • 245

Weight Loss since Sept 5th • 68 pounds!!

Loss shown below is from the day of surgery • • •

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

2. Said thanks:

3. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member VSGOct2011's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    10/08/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr Guillermo Alvarez
    Last Activity
    07-04-2013 09:22 AM
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times
    Was Thanked 112 Times in 104 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 72 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Well my Hubby WAS supportive.....

Perhaps his excitement is masked by fear and concern - once you're through it on the other side he'll be your greatest cheerleader. Soon enough my friend, soon enough. 18 more days for you, next Saturday for me. Then our hubbies will see this was what we needed to give us the momentum to get back in the game of enjoying life.

Gastric Sleeve Member Anita4426's Avatar
    Name
    Anita
    Surgery date
    09/19/2011
    Surgeon
    Proff Sue Taylor
    Last Activity
    01-04-2012 08:06 AM
    Said "Thanks" 4 Times
    Was Thanked 13 Times in 12 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 288 Times

Ditto. My hubby was great about it but did have a few weeks where he was more stressed about it as the time go closer. Now I have had it done he is 100% on board. PLUS. congrats on the cancer win.

Gastric Sleeve Member flowergirl's Avatar
    Name
    Lisa
    Surgery date
    11/01/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Fernando Garcia
    Last Activity
    12-21-2014 11:40 PM
    Said "Thanks" 7 Times
    Was Thanked 9 Times in 8 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 11,158 Times
    Blog Entries

Hi,
    As the others noted....your husband will feel better once he starts seeing the results and how much healthier you are. My husband was more excited about it than I was, once I decided on the doctor (Dr. Fernando Garcia), and actually scheduled a surgery date (11-1-11). The date alone is a good omen for me. My husband wants me slim again to ride behind him on the motorcycle, and do other things that I don't have the energy to do. I did warn him that it's not an overnight thing....it takes time and my eating habits will drastically change. But I think he will be very supportive and is going along with me to Tijuana. I have only told my sister and not my daughters or mother and brother. We are telling everyone that we are going to San Diego for a second honeymoon. Married 38 years on Sept. 22, 2011. So hang in there. He will come around.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Marsha
    Surgery date
    06/14/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ariel Ortiz
    Last Activity
    02-15-2012 07:06 AM
    Said "Thanks" 40 Times
    Was Thanked 60 Times in 46 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 133 Times

Same here. Now he's thrilled and treats me better than he ever has! We've been married 29 years and I feel like a newlywed! Lovin' my sleeve! Good luck.

8. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Surgery date
    10/08/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Mc Arthur Conrado Salonga
    Last Activity
    11-08-2011 01:00 AM
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times
    Was Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 9 Times
    Blog Entries

men are not really showy about their feelings...i also experienced it with my boyfriend...a month or weeks ago he used to be excited and all, but now all he does is worry. he couldn't show his worries towards me right away but he keeps on telling his friends and my friends that he's having a hard time sleeping coz he worries about me. why do i have to this and that blah blah blah...he even cried when he found out i was about to collapse on my first day of pre-op...so i guess, your husband doesn't wanna let you know he's worried about you...
    i am with hope.
    Surgery Date: October 08,2011
    Pre-Op diet: Clear liquids. Date started: September 30, 2011
    First weight in is 271 lbs. Date September 28, 2011

Gastric Sleeve Member Shoppingbeemom's Avatar
    Surgery date
    09/22/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr Almanza
    Last Activity
    07-22-2013 04:34 AM
    Said "Thanks" 48 Times
    Was Thanked 106 Times in 94 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 123 Times

My husband had seen how hard I have always worked to keep the weight from coming and had seen a loosing battle. He had backed me completely....until the surgery date had gotten closer. Then he tried every conversation to not get the surgery. He was afraid and in his fear it had shaken me. I asked myself if I should have a surgery with my husband in this state. My answer for my life was, I can not be put under glass and preserved. I needed this opportunity to put some change in my life. I told him I understood it is scary, but I need to do this for me. During the time before the surgery I could tell he still was stressing over it, however after he is happy that I am happy and even speaks of the good it has done. I hope this helps. Best wishes

Gastric Sleeve Member britiajon's Avatar
    Surgery date
    09/15/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Last Activity
    04-22-2015 11:56 AM
    Said "Thanks" 10 Times
    Was Thanked 84 Times in 66 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 20 Times

My husband was not really supportive either. I know it was fear though. He's lived through all my health issues, surgeries gone wrong, etc. I just approached it with a determination that couldn't be questioned. It was my decision and although I appreciated his thoughts, at the end of the day I made this decision for me. End of story.

He brought up the money once, and then I pointed out how much he spent on jukeboxes just last year, and asked him if I was worth as much as a jukebox. He shut up after that lol.
    Hit first goal of 155 at 9.5 months. Setting new goal of 145 which is less then I've ever weighed in my adult life. Woo hoo!
    Hit 2nd goal of 145 at 12 months. Room for 1 more goal, I want to be less then half the person I used to be which means 139

12. Said thanks:

Name
    Linda
    Surgery date
    05/31/2010
    Surgeon
    Aceves
    Last Activity
    01-19-2016 10:18 AM
    Said "Thanks" 87 Times
    Was Thanked 60 Times in 49 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 18 Times
    Blog Entries

Tracy, you are going to love Dr Kelly! I had my surgery done a year and a half ago with Dr Aceves but when my daughter had hers done a few weeks ago, she choose Dr Kelly ($3000 less then my doctor!!). I went with her to Mexico so I've been through this twice now and I have to say that even with the 'cheaper' doctor, the care, hospital, total experience was amazing....it fact if I had it to do over, I myself would go with Dr Kelly! Reassure your husband that you are in the best of hands, he'll be ok once it's over. =)

Blog (with pictures): http://mwlj2010.blogspot.com/

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    10/19/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Kelly
    Last Activity
    03-12-2016 09:52 PM
    Said "Thanks" 42 Times
    Was Thanked 38 Times in 36 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 47 Times

He seems to be a bit better about the whole thing today...****************************************** ********************** SNIP

Before I even knew what the Sleeve was, I had planned on starting a weight Loss plan using Isagenix--- so expensive!! But basically its 2 protein shakes a day and a sensible meal. When I got the pre-op diet -- I thought -- Wow, this is what I am doing already! No one will expect anything differently from me at work. In the past month I have lost 15 pounds.. enough to have baggy bottom jeans and get my wedding ring back on. I think that bit of loss has helped him see the bigger picture and what the end result will be. I explained to him more about the loan and what that will end up looking like. I shared my game plan in how I will be paying that off.

I asked him earlier if he was doing better about the whole thing now... he brought up that dream again....LOL Guess he will be just fine
    Reason: Didn't mean to offend anyone----- sorry....

Highest Weight 6/24/11 • 287
    Starting Weight 9/7/11 • 275
    Pre-Op Weight 10/5/11 • 258
    Surgery Weight 10/19/11 • 245

Weight Loss since Sept 5th • 68 pounds!!

Loss shown below is from the day of surgery • • •

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Name
    Connie
    Surgery date
    08/18/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Last Activity
    06-19-2016 11:29 PM
    Said "Thanks" 746 Times
    Was Thanked 355 Times in 317 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 325 Times

Guys are just big babies---almost every one of the people that I have talked to on here or even at the recovery house, their husbands and boyfriends all shared the SAME behavior. My husband did too---for SOME reason---(in my experience) most guys just don't know what to do when they are not able to DO anything. I would not let my husband go with me to Mexico because he would have been more of a hinder than helper. I know that this hurt his feelings, but feelings change and quite frankly, MY SLEEVE IS ABOUT ME!!! I wanted to totally give myself my complete attention. Best thing I ever did---now that I am living a different life, the influence it has had on him is that he WAS a pack plus a day smoker. He has since been able to quit smoking---he uses those electronic things--WHAT A BLESSING---Remember--you are doing this for YOU so you can be there for him. Blessings to both---Connie

Banned
    Name
    Christy
    Surgery date
    09/08/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    02-16-2014 05:35 PM
    Said "Thanks" 645 Times
    Was Thanked 491 Times in 418 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 493 Times
    Blog Entries

MEN! I agree with everyone above. He is just worried but guys don't know how to just say that! Good luck! And, have fun with that dream.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Marsha
    Surgery date
    06/14/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ariel Ortiz
    Last Activity
    02-15-2012 07:06 AM
    Said "Thanks" 40 Times
    Was Thanked 60 Times in 46 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 133 Times

Lol....just wondering why we haven't had any input from the guys on this forum...maybe you could explain your gender to us....we are TRYING to understand you all. Tell us what goes in that brain/heart of your species!

Gastric Sleeve Member elizabethhg's Avatar
    I have not had a gastric sleeve.
    Last Activity
    10-06-2011 01:25 PM
    Said "Thanks" 6 Times
    Was Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy's Place View Post
    He seems to be a bit better about the whole thing today...he mentioned something about the dream he had last night...and the fact he could help me out with my protein needs (BLUSH)

Before I even knew what the Sleeve was, I had planned on starting a weight Loss plan using Isagenix--- so expensive!! But basically its 2 protein shakes a day and a sensible meal. When I got the pre-op diet -- I thought -- Wow, this is what I am doing already! No one will expect anything differently from me at work. In the past month I have lost 15 pounds.. enough to have baggy bottom jeans and get my wedding ring back on. I think that bit of loss has helped him see the bigger picture and what the end result will be. I explained to him more about the loan and what that will end up looking like. I shared my game plan in how I will be paying that off.

I asked him earlier if he was doing better about the whole thing now... he brought up that dream again....LOL Guess he will be just fine
    sorry, but TMI! I am glad you are excited and I wish the best of luck...but that first part was seriously TMI.

Gastric Sleeve Member sleeve-me's Avatar
    Name
    Bette
    Surgery date
    09/10/2011
    Surgeon
    Almanza
    Last Activity
    09-28-2015 03:41 PM
    Said "Thanks" 169 Times
    Was Thanked 59 Times in 54 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 33 Times

Quote Originally Posted by elizabethhg View Post
    sorry, but TMI! I am glad you are excited and I wish the best of luck...but that first part was seriously TMI.
    not sure i understand what this person is talking about this forum is a free place to express your thoughts and feelinga about your journey with the sleeve. please dont let one critical voice hamper your expression on this site!!!