Last Activity
    01-31-2017 06:30 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 8 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Hello, I am new to site

Hello,

I have been reading and reading as I am very nervous. I am traveling to Mexico alone and have only told my boyfriend and my best friend. I have a BMI that ranges from 29-30...I have health issues and need to lose weight but lose and regain plus more....I was always of normal weight until approx six years ago. Medication and poor eating habits and here I am...I have some questions if someone can help me..

1) Hair loss - is it that bad? do you take vitamins - if so what are good ones? I see there are patch vitamins - never knew that

2) Am I going to be ok going alone? I am going through BeLiteWeight - anyone else used them?

3) On a pain scale 1-10 - how was the pain scale?

Thank you very much....I am scared and feel alone...because I am not "huge" people wouldn't/don't understand...I was born with an extra pathway to my heart - I have had two ablations - I have extra weight of approx 30-40 lbs - the extra weight needs to go...

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member Yellow Rose's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    08/24/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Elias Ortiz
    Last Activity
    01-18-2017 02:46 PM
    Said "Thanks" 7 Times
    Was Thanked 61 Times in 55 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 24 Times

Default Re: Hello, I am new to site

HI Abby and welcome to our forum.

I also has my surgery done in Mexico. My husnband insisted on going with me but I'm sure I could have done it alone. There was a girl in our group who was by herself and she did fine. Everyone there is so helpful.

I was lucky and didn't have much pain.

Good luck to you!

4. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    11/11/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr Jose Rodriguez
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Blog Entries

Thank you Yellow Rose for responding...you seem to be doing great!!! Good for you!!! Have you lost much hair? What vitamins do you take? I can't wait
    to have the surgery...I'm tired of the day to day struggles and worrying if the scale goes up another day...congrats to you��

Gastric Sleeve Member steven2016's Avatar
    I have not had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Steven
    Surgery date
    10/25/2016
    Surgeon
    Doctor Cirangle
    Last Activity
    01-17-2017 09:31 PM
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times
    Was Thanked 4 Times in 2 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times
    Blog Entries

Hello Abby2,

I am 50 and a male and having my surgery in about week in California. I too have about 40-50 pounds to get off due to a long-term medical problem. People think I am just a 'foot-ball' type of built and that I don't have inner health problems --- but I surely do.

Possibly because I am a male, I have absolutely no problem with letting people know what is going on, including my partner, who will be with me at the hospital all day and dealing with me as we drive an hour home, afterwards. I am surprised your not telling your boyfriend, I would want the most support I could possibly get --- but again, maybe women/females are more sensitive to that issue and want to keep it a secret and I must understand.

But speaking as a male --- please let it be known that we men want to support our significant others/spouse. We look up to a women (or man) who take the initiative to address a health concern.

I wish you the best in Mexico and hope we both have a painless procedure. And I guess you will have to actually get on a plane afterwards instead of a car drive.

Steven

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    11/11/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr Jose Rodriguez
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Blog Entries

Hi Steven,

I did tell my boyfriend and best friend...but I'm going alone to Mexico...I live in VA my best friend lives in TX..my boyfriend would go but it would be difficult for him to leave at the time I'm going...when I say I feel alone - I think most people feel that if you exercise and eat right you don't need to have surgery (including my boyfriend). The medication I have been on for six years for my heart (I was told at 18 I had panic disorder - at 41 - I'm now 47 - that panic disorder is actually a birth defect - extra pathway to heart - as I was getting older it was getting worse) I could be watching tv and could feel my heart beating as if it was going to beat out of my chest..I've been in ambulances so many times...my heart would get up to 200 plus...I was always thin and then with the medication and chocolate lol...I've tried so many diets to lose and then regain... Anyway, I'm choosing the surgery because after two ablations on heart to remove the extra pathway - I'm doing better but I need to lose weight and keep it off..Good luck to you and I'll keep you posted...

8. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Name
    Cyndi
    Surgery date
    12/30/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Robert Marema
    Last Activity
    01-09-2020 06:15 PM
    Said "Thanks" 1,143 Times
    Was Thanked 908 Times in 689 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2,250 Times

WELCOME!

It's normal to feel anxious/nervous/scared/excited all at the same time. This is a life changing decision...for the better.

[QUOTE]I have health issues and need to lose weight but lose and regain plus more....I was always of normal weight until approx six years ago. Medication and poor eating habits and here I am.../QUOTE]

Your experience is much like mine...I waited 8 years. It turned into 100 lbs.

[QUOTE]1) Hair loss - is it that bad? do you take vitamins - if so what are good ones? I see there are patch vitamins - never knew that/QUOTE]

Hair loss wasn't too bad. It happens to some extent to almost everyone. It stopped and started regrowth when I added prenatal and more protein. I use vitamin patches (PatchMD). My levels are all normal.

[QUOTE]2) Am I going to be ok going alone? I am going through BeLiteWeight - anyone else used them?/QUOTE]

I can't speak to going alone, or BeLiteWeight...my husband was with me through it all, and I had my surgery in St Augustine, FL.
    Is it possible for your boyfriend or bf to travel with you?

[QUOTE]
    3) On a pain scale 1-10 - how was the pain scale?/QUOTE]

I didn't experience any pain immediately after surgery.

[QUOTE]because I am not "huge" people wouldn't/don't understand...I was born with an extra pathway to my heart - I have had two ablations - I have extra weight of approx 30-40 lbs - the extra weight needs to go.../QUOTE]

This is hands down the best decision I ever made for me and my health. My ONLY regret is that I didn't do it sooner!

My self-esteem is not wrapped up in what others think of me. I didn't share my decision with everyone...especially the usual "Negative Nellies".

Best of luck as you embark on your journey!

Name
    Sandra
    Surgery date
    01/20/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr W
    Last Activity
    06-25-2020 09:15 AM
    Said "Thanks" 290 Times
    Was Thanked 1,067 Times in 752 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 480 Times
    Blog Entries

Hello Abby,

It's normal to be scared before surgery, I was sleepless for day and really nervous.

Many people in this forum went alone to Mexico.
    They seem fine! And you don't need to tell anyone about your surgery, people are quick to make comments and start useless discussions: it's your life, your health, your decision.
    In here people did fight weight issues all their life, they will not judge you! We all know how difficult it can be.

About your questions:

1) hair : it will mainly depend on your genetic. Basically I always had a tendency to have huge hair loss for anything and everything (pregnancy, medication, new diet ....you name it). So I had some hair loss on day 3 (because of the blood thinning medication) for around one week. Then from month 3 to 6 it was bad. Now it's stating to grow back a little. I took biotin (10000) since one month before the surgery up to six months post-op. I did stop it because I had hair growing on my chin and it did nothing for my hair. I think the worth for me it to maintain my iron level, I had huge deficiencies until month 6 (Iron and D) even with all the vitamins I was taking. My advice would be to try as much as possible to be always at least at your minimum level of protein per day (for me it was 60gr but it can vary with your guidelines, many here have 80gr ) drink your protein shakes and have regular blood tests to check any deficiencies. Hair will grow back...right now I'm hiding my hair loss with keratin powder (Toppik or Fusion) or even head bands (I have great ones from Lullu Lemon, they don't move)...It's worth it and I don't have any regrets about my hair! It's just hair and my health is more important...it was getting bad...I don't think I would have reach retirement with all my problems.

The vitamins I take...I took many brands over the last 9 months. I'm telling you what I take right now. My fav so far are the Flinstones (complete) easy to take even when I was not well (my surgeon approved it), but I also take organic vitamins (Bcomplex and D from Vitacost), Omegas 3/6/9, Probiotics, Iron (Rainbow Light, Certified Plant-Source Iron)...etc...You need to take your vitamins religiously because it's compulsory after bariatric surgery. You eat so little, you really need it.

2) sorry, can't help here

3) pain should be little. I'm an exception because something got lost in translation (Chinese...I'm not really fluent) and they didn't install the morphine pump before I woke up. And the staff didn't understand what I was saying. But as soon as my surgeon arrived it was solved and done. I used it less than one day and didn't even take pain killers after that (woke up at 9...then a few hours after was at 3 or 2..no worries!)...from what I've been reading, in Mexico they don't wait for you to wake up in pain...different country, different habits..I think you will be fine!

Good luck and take care!

HW : 150 kgs
    09/02/2014 : 142 /1st apt
    01/20/2016 : 134 /surgery
    01/30/2016 : 130 /1st post-op
    02/27/2016 : 126 /2nd
    04/23/2016 : 118 /3rd
    07/16/2016 : 109 / 4th
    10/01/2016 : 103 /5th
    01/21/2017 : 98 /1 year post-op
    February 2017 : 100 lbs lost
    07/22/2017 : 96
    10/21/2017 : 93
    12/22/2017 : 91
    01/02/2018 : 96!! regain (medication)

Gastric Sleeve Member Cyndy-loo's Avatar
    Name
    Cyndy-loo
    Surgery date
    05/12/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Last Activity
    11-13-2018 08:44 AM
    Said "Thanks" 11 Times
    Was Thanked 78 Times in 67 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 252 Times
    Blog Entries

Hello and good luck on one of the best decisions you have made. I went to Mexico alone and even though I was scared the people were all supportive and helpful. I too was not "huge" and did not tell a lot of people but still had the courage and conviction that this was the right decision for me. As far as the hair loss, I found the vitamins did not help and the hair did fall out. The biotin did help the new hair growth and it came in fast. I noticed it but only my hair dresser was the other one. No one else did. Pain was minor. I was tired during that first week, but went to work 5 days later. I can't begin to describe all the good that has come out of my decision. I am just so happy that I did not give into the fear.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    11/11/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr Jose Rodriguez
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Blog Entries

Thank you all for responding...it helps tremendously and I'm so glad I found this site!! I am 47 and can hide my weight as my weight is at the top and middle with thin legs and don't have a big butt...lol (nothing like boobs on chest and back) My mom knows I've gained weight and she lets me know...I was never a compulsive eater until the last few years...A dear friend of mine committed suicide last year and I've put on 16 just this past year...I've read it doesn't take away the compulsion to overeat - but knowing it will make me sick and the money I'm paying wasn't just laying around (I'm using retirement funds) that alone should make me stop...I can't wait as I feel I have to get my health under control....I sincerely thank you for responding and god bless you all

Also, seeing people go from 200 and up to 115-125 that's so wonderful...❤️

13. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Yellow Rose's Avatar
    Surgery date
    08/24/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Elias Ortiz
    Last Activity
    01-18-2017 02:46 PM
    Said "Thanks" 7 Times
    Was Thanked 61 Times in 55 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 24 Times

I haven't lost any hair yet but my sister in law who had it done said it happens at about the 3-month mark. But, it does come back! I'm taking chewable Biotin vitamins, twice a day. It's on the list of vitamins that was given to me by my doctor and is supposed to help with hair loss.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    I have not had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    10/18/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Marcelo Hernandez
    Last Activity
    11-28-2016 06:24 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 7 Times in 3 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

I'm at the airport about to get in this plane to head to San Diego to be in Mexico tomorrow for surgery. Super excited and prayed up and I know without a doubt that God will see me thru this. God does not give us the spirit of fear. The devil does that to make your faith and trust in God waiver. I ain't having it.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    11/11/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr Jose Rodriguez
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Blog Entries

Hey Vibrown sugar,

I'll pray for you and know you will do great!!! Are you alone? Please let me know how it is....You've Got This ❤️

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Last Activity
    06-30-2017 12:01 PM
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times
    Was Thanked 19 Times in 11 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 137 Times

Congratulations on your life changing decision. I also went to Mexico alone and only my best friend knew. You can do it, remember that you can only lift 10 lbs after surgery so don't overpack. After surgery you will regret your decision although some people have no problem. Make sure you tell them that you're sensitive to anesthesia because they mix it in bulk and if you're grouped with someone very obese you will get more than your share and it will make you very nauseous. Walking, Gas X strips, ice chips and gatorade really help. The cold ice chips help to heal your stomach. The gas pain in my case was brutal and walking really helps but don't overdo it. I went shopping and to the beach. I stayed longer because I was alone and I'm glad that I did. I was the skinniest of three and the anesthesia really made me nauseous so it took much longer to leave my system. Everyone is very friendly so reach out, we're all going through the same thing. Fantasize about your new body and think positively. Follow directions, they know what they're doing. I started the hair and nails vitamins months before the surgery. You can add biotin which decreases hair loss. After surgery you will have to crush your pills so you may want a pill crusher. The pain I felt was from gas, they dosed me twice a day with pain and anti-nausea medication as well as antibiotics. I washed my wounds as directed and had no problem. The most important thing that I could tell you is to follow directions, walk, walk and walk but don't overdo and eat ice chips continuously, the gas pain can be excruciating. It's amazing how your body heals more and more everyday. You will notice the day to day improvements. Stay positive and follow directions. Broth then protein shakes then purees. Picture the inside of your body, you don't want to do anything that will cause the sutures to open. Good luck, you can do it. Monthly B12 shots were also recommended because your stomach makes B12 and now it's making a lot less. Educate yourself on nutrition. I used weight loss agents, Dr. Almanza was my surgeon, they were great. As far as the pain scale, the gas pain can be an 8 so take the gas X strips. The sutures don't hurt but the nausea for me was horrible(due to the anesthesia). You are doing the best thing for your condition. Good luck.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    11/11/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr Jose Rodriguez
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Blog Entries

Thank you Vicki your post was extremely helpful...I stay in a private room for 3 days - I fly from VA to El Paso TX...I've been worried that once I get home should any problems arise - will my health insurance deny coverage anything relating to the surgery.. that's my biggest fear at this point..I'll keep you posted and I'm sure I'll have more questions for you �� I can't imagine paying for this out of pocket and going through it all and not do what your told... I have every intention of following Dr orders... I can't wait to see 130-140 ...you have done a great job and I know it has to be a great feeling... ❤️

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Last Activity
    06-30-2017 12:01 PM
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times
    Was Thanked 19 Times in 11 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 137 Times

I was also worried about not being covered for an operation which was done in Mexico. Due to Obamacare, an insurance company cannot deny you because of a pre-existing condition. I'm not positive but it should also apply to situations like these, however, that fear made me very careful, so I was really careful to adhere and even follow the diet longer than necessary. (I stayed on broth, protein shakes and puree longer than the recommended time). So far, so good I'm sure that my stomach has healed by now. Now I'm just dealing with the psychological, social and physical difficulties of having only 15% of my original stomach, but it was worth it, the best decision I ever made for myself. Good luck.