wesley turton
    Last Activity
    12-24-2016 06:56 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 11 Times in 11 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 28 Times

Default Confused no direction

Hi Sleeve Family,
    I rely on this site because I feel like I have no direction with my NUT. I am almost 5 months out and have lost about 55 pounds. I pretty much eat what I want, but I am very mindful. Some days it feels like I can eat more than others. Does that make sense. Today I got fried chicken cabbage and sweet potatoes. I hate several bites of chicken, a couple of bites cabbage. No sweet potatoes and my stomach felt very full and hurting, At what point does the stomach stop doing like that or does it ever? Should I not be eating any bread at all? Should I not deny myself sweets? I have cut back a lot yes. but I guess I just need some helpful advice.

Thanks,
    Gailbee

2. Said thanks:

3. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Sandy
    Surgery date
    03/24/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    06-26-2019 05:45 PM
    Said "Thanks" 49 Times
    Was Thanked 120 Times in 91 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 104 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Confused no direction

Hi Gailbee, You should never be able to eat the way you used to that's the whole point of the sleeve. Do not push it and remember your only 5 months out so very new. You have lost allot of weight already which is great but be careful with your menu choices. Fried chicken once in a while is OK I guess but don't make it a habit or you could end up with a regain very easily down the road. Bread is extremely filling and at 14 months out I still can't eat more than one slice without the crust and then I am stuffed. For me I can't eat more than a few bites of anything still and I am full so I stop. Once you are able to eat and eat without consequence then it's time to reset the tummy. After goal you can eat whatever you want whenever you want but in MUCH smaller portions period. You need to be mindful of healthy choices for the majority and treat yourself every now and then. But if your looking for the day that you can eat and eat and eat without pain and discomfort then the sleeve may not have been a good choice for you. This is a tool and it tells you when you've had enough but sometimes the brain doesn't catch up to the stomach in time so be very mindful of that. You can stretch the sleeve if you constantly overeat from what I hear but you would have to do it all the time. I don't know if you've reached goal but if you haven't I would go back to basics and lay off the junk food until you hit goal at the very least. Good luck to you!

5. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgeon
    wesley turton
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times

Thank you so much. What is the restart? I don't always over eat but today it was like I ate but didn't feel that stop button until after I ate if if that makes sense?? What is your typical day?

Name
    Sandy
    Surgery date
    03/24/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    06-26-2019 05:45 PM
    Said "Thanks" 49 Times
    Was Thanked 120 Times in 91 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 104 Times
    Blog Entries

There is what they call a pouch test, I have never done it but you can Google it. I would put in "Pouch test after Gastric Sleeve". My day is pretty simple, my protein drink, a bowl of special K or an egg something along those lines. I do have a very hard time sitting down for an actual meal so I will have a bowl of grapes and some cheese maybe or yogurt for lunch a small piece of fish with a little vedgie, sometimes a little steak for dinner but really small portions. Sergento makes these little packets with cheese nuts and raisens and they have other kinds, super healthy and you get that sweet and salty so that's my go to snack. I will have chips or a couple cookies here and there but never touched that until after I hit my goal weight.

8. Said thanks:

Name
    Dede
    Surgery date
    03/06/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr Almanza
    Last Activity
    04-25-2017 08:27 AM
    Said "Thanks" 64 Times
    Was Thanked 63 Times in 42 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 8 Times
    Blog Entries

Can someone explain what is a NUT?

Heighest weight 253 pounds 3/2/2016
    Pre-op weight 244 pounds 3/6/2016
    1 week after surgery 238 pounds 3/13/16
    1 month post-op 227 pounds 4/6/16 lost 26 pounds
    2 month post-op 218 pounds 5/6/16 lost 9 pounds total of 35!
    3 month post-op 204 pounds 6/6/16 lost 14 pounds total of 49!
    4 month post-op 197 pounds 7/6/16 lost 8 pounds total of 56!

10. Said thanks:

11. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgeon
    wesley turton
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times

I know that is what your nutritionist is referred to.

13. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    03/15/2016
    Surgeon
    Almanza
    Last Activity
    01-22-2017 08:53 AM
    Said "Thanks" 5 Times
    Was Thanked 10 Times in 6 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times
    Blog Entries

Nutritionist....

15. Said thanks:

Name
    Katrina
    Surgery date
    11/04/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Borland
    Last Activity
    06-22-2023 07:11 PM
    Said "Thanks" 40 Times
    Was Thanked 388 Times in 276 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times
    Blog Entries

Just for the record, I eat fried chicken every day. 4 Chick Fil tenders, 3 Zaxby's tenders or 5 sweet n spicy wings, 3 Popeye's tenders, 3 Guthrie's tenders... Tonight it was 2 huge Champy's famous fried chicken tenders. (I usually eat it over a couple of hours time as I can't eat a full serving all at once obviously) Haven't gained a single pound.
    No pre-op diet
    Day of surgery 11/4/14: 5'4" 213lbs
    1 month: 187
    2 months: 171
    3 months: 155
    4 months: 148
    5 months: 142
    6 months: 136
    7 months: 131
    8 months: 125
    9 months: 120
    10 months: 114
    11 months: 111
    1 year: 109
    1.5 years: 105
    2 years: 108
    2.5 years: 102
    3 years: 113
    4 years: 115
    5 years: 115
    6 years: 117

17. Said thanks:

Name
    Cyndi
    Surgery date
    12/30/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Robert Marema
    Last Activity
    01-09-2020 06:15 PM
    Said "Thanks" 1,143 Times
    Was Thanked 908 Times in 689 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2,250 Times

Quote Originally Posted by gailbee View Post
    Hi Sleeve Family,
    I rely on this site because I feel like I have no direction with my NUT. I am almost 5 months out and have lost about 55 pounds. I pretty much eat what I want, but I am very mindful. Some days it feels like I can eat more than others. Does that make sense. Today I got fried chicken cabbage and sweet potatoes. I hate several bites of chicken, a couple of bites cabbage. No sweet potatoes and my stomach felt very full and hurting, At what point does the stomach stop doing like that or does it ever? Should I not be eating any bread at all? Should I not deny myself sweets? I have cut back a lot yes. but I guess I just need some helpful advice.

Thanks,
    Gailbee
    There are some excellent videos on YouTube... Search for Dr Matthew Weiner. His videos are full of direction to help.

Best of luck as you continue your journey!

19. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    12/12/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr Landerholm
    Last Activity
    02-13-2018 09:44 PM
    Said "Thanks" 9 Times
    Was Thanked 457 Times in 339 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 138 Times

I don't think there are hard and fast shoulds and should nots.... it is more like what supports your personal goals the best? I had to lose ALOT of weight and I didn't want to stall out before I got to goal - so I was pretty careful to eat right and exercise regularly during the weight loss phase. I have been maintaining for 3 1/2 years now and am still careful, but have a bit more flexibility.

A couple of things that have worked well for me:
    -stay well hydrated
    -don't eat till full, seek "absence of hunger"
    -use small plates and utinsils - I use appetizer sized or side salad size plates
    -if your stomach hurts or is uncomfortable or you vomit you probably ate too much, or too fast or both... or you should talk to your surgeon to rule out any problems. For me, it isn't normal to be in pain or vomiting
    -eat protein first, veggies second and then honestly there isn't much room for bread, rice and other stuff like that
    -watch out for sliders - food that goes down TOO easy. Classic examples are chips, crackers that sort of thing. be aware that if you start snacking on that stuff you are unlikely to feel "satisfied" and can eat too much of the wrong thing that way
    -consider taking a PPI to control acid. Acid often feels like gnawing hunger
    308# 12/1/2011 Start of Preop Diet
    300# 12/12/11 Lapband to Sleeve revision
    158# Feb 2013 - GOAL lost 150# 14 months post op
    150# 10/14/2013 - Plastics Dr Sauceda in Monterrey Mexico; removed 5.5# of skin
    140# Apr 2014 - maintaining 168# weight loss currently. Very happy with my sleeve and plastics results!

21. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgeon
    wesley turton
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times

Thank you so much. I am really trying. Some days are different, like today I can hardly take many bites of anything??? but I am glad because I know it will not always be that way. I ate some chinese child portion of beef, there was some rice and I took a little bite of each. I was out to eat with co-workers. snack later was chicken salad, and few wheat-thins same thing. ate a cheese stick just fine go figure. But thank you so much any advise is well taken and needed....

Surgery date
    08/23/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    11-08-2023 05:37 PM
    Said "Thanks" 65 Times
    Was Thanked 1,328 Times in 515 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3 Times

I don't think there are hard and fast shoulds and should nots.... it is more like what supports your personal goals the best? I had to lose ALOT of weight and I didn't want to stall out before I got to goal - so I was pretty careful to eat right and exercise regularly during the weight loss phase. I have been maintaining for 3 1/2 years now and am still careful, but have a bit more flexibility.

A couple of things that have worked well for me:
    -stay well hydrated
    -don't eat till full, seek "absence of hunger"
    -use small plates and utinsils - I use appetizer sized or side salad size plates
    -if your stomach hurts or is uncomfortable or you vomit you probably ate too much, or too fast or both... or you should talk to your surgeon to rule out any problems. For me, it isn't normal to be in pain or vomiting
    -eat protein first, veggies second and then honestly there isn't much room for bread, rice and other stuff like that
    -watch out for sliders - food that goes down TOO easy. Classic examples are chips, crackers that sort of thing. be aware that if you start snacking on that stuff you are unlikely to feel "satisfied" and can eat too much of the wrong thing that way
    -consider taking a PPI to control acid. Acid often feels like gnawing hunger

Uh.....what she said.

24. Said thanks: