I have not had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Samantha
    Last Activity
    04-08-2012 07:59 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times

Default Wondering what my Life will be like after the Gastric Sleeve????

Hey, my name is Samantha Im 27 and finally doing something about my weight. Im no where near my surgery date for the gastric sleeve. I just had my first Dr's appt on Thursday but I have decided to get sleeved and wanted to get some feedback from folks who have already had the surgery on what I should expect, basically what my life will be like after Im sleeved. Any advice and feedback will be great!!!!

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Lisa
    Surgery date
    07/11/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Follwell
    Said "Thanks" 328 Times
    Was Thanked 89 Times in 62 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 203 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Wondering what my Life will be like after the Gastric Sleeve????

While I'm only about 3 months out, I wouldn't go back to my life before my sleeve. I've had an easier time compared to others but I know most people feel the same way after the first few weeks. It isn't easy and it isn't magic. It is just a tool for us to use to help us reach a healthier weight. I write down what I eat ... even the cookies or chocolate ... and keep track of my carbs, fat and especially protein. I'm satisfied with what I have done so far, as you can see from my ticker below. I can and still do go out to eat with my family. We went out for breakfast at a pancake place. I had 2 poached eggs and a piece of bacon. In addition, I had 2 bites of different peoples' pancakes. I didn't feel deprived but liberated to know that I have given myself a present to help me become healthier. Good luck and keep us posted.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Last Activity
    10-22-2012 11:27 PM
    Said "Thanks" 9 Times
    Was Thanked 68 Times in 52 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 317 Times
    Blog Entries

3 months out and you could eat 2 eggs AND a piece of bacon??? AND a few bites of pancakes? Really? thats amazing.

Gastric Sleeve Member Heather Honey's Avatar
    Name
    Heather
    Surgery date
    09/13/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr David Martin
    Last Activity
    12-30-2013 05:53 PM
    Said "Thanks" 21 Times
    Was Thanked 14 Times in 12 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3,811 Times

I'm wondering about when we go to places where a portion would feed half the street, how you get on when you want only the equivalent of a child-sized portion. I know that there will be some places that just will not get it, not that you necessarily want to have to explain your personal business to all and sundry either. Any tips???

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Marsha
    Surgery date
    06/14/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ariel Ortiz
    Last Activity
    02-15-2012 07:06 AM
    Said "Thanks" 40 Times
    Was Thanked 60 Times in 46 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 133 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Sam810 View Post
    Hey, my name is Samantha Im 27 and finally doing something about my weight. Im no where near my surgery date for the gastric sleeve. I just had my first Dr's appt on Thursday but I have decided to get sleeved and wanted to get some feedback from folks who have already had the surgery on what I should expect, basically what my life will be like after Im sleeved. Any advice and feedback will be great!!!!
    The first month might be a little tough. It is for many, however I had no problems what so ever. Do exactly what the doc says. Be prepared to encounter a little moodiness or possible depression. (this is strange especially since you are loosing, but it happens---Mine lasted for about 2-3 weeks just heavy blue feeling) Choose your doctor well, research. I personally think the more surgeries they have done the better. The first month varies because different doctors recommend different time periods for clear liquid stage -- broth, jello, etc. Full liquid stage -- protein drinks, smoothies, etc. Purreed/Soft stage eggs, yogurt, creamed soups, cottage cheese, tuna salad, etc. I'm now at 3 months and I am able to eat anything I want just in very small amts. I have heard some people are not as fortunate and can't eat bread, steak, etc. It's best if you track your food intake, carbs and protein.
    You need to make sure you always get your protein and water in. Always take your vitamins and follow doctors orders. Life is great after the sleeve. I love it! It is so great to feel full and not always be hungry. I'm off all bp meds after 27 yrs! My aches and joint pains are gone. I have my life back. I almost feel like a teenager again...no small feat for a 47 yr old! Excited for you. It's and awesome journey. Don't worry you will do fine. Good luck.

Almost forgot...I would suggest you start managing any food addictions now. Choose one at a time and set limits. I was drinking 4 or 5 sodas/day; cut back to 1/day first for abt 2 wks; then cut back to 1 wk before stopping. I limited my fast food to 1 time per week. After first month I found I forgot to go get fast food for a couple of weeks at a time. It was easy, but just choose one thing at a time. Doing it all at once is too hard.

7. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Marsha
    Surgery date
    06/14/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ariel Ortiz
    Last Activity
    02-15-2012 07:06 AM
    Said "Thanks" 40 Times
    Was Thanked 60 Times in 46 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 133 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Heather Honey View Post
    I'm wondering about when we go to places where a portion would feed half the street, how you get on when you want only the equivalent of a child-sized portion. I know that there will be some places that just will not get it, not that you necessarily want to have to explain your personal business to all and sundry either. Any tips???
    Ask for what you want or need most places are very accomodating. I say, "I'm not real hungry... instead of the full breakfast, could I just get 1 scrambled egg and 1 slice of bacon?" Or, "Is it okay if I order off the kids menu?...I just want one ckn strip." Frequently I ask for a side salad w/ cheese and then ask, could I order just a side of "whatever" . I have never had anyone refuse. One time they frowned at me, then I said, "sorry just had stomach surgery." That took care of it. He smiled and said, "of course." Just takes a little time to get past the anxiety of asking.

9. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Heather Honey's Avatar
    Name
    Heather
    Surgery date
    09/13/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr David Martin
    Last Activity
    12-30-2013 05:53 PM
    Said "Thanks" 21 Times
    Was Thanked 14 Times in 12 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3,811 Times

Thanks! Goes to show, it's easy if you word it just right. Thanks again!! : )

Name
    Drew
    Surgery date
    06/23/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ken Hollis
    Last Activity
    01-19-2012 04:44 PM
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times
    Was Thanked 54 Times in 46 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times

Life is the same, but better. What I mean is, some things are constant, i.e., work, bills. For me the big change is my indifference toward food and the weight loss. And I'm healthier and I've got my self-confidence back, too.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Last Activity
    06-05-2014 05:30 AM
    Said "Thanks" 546 Times
    Was Thanked 60 Times in 51 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 89 Times

Er... many of these comments are obscured by the banner adverts. is this a formatting mistake or is it just soviet- style censorship (vbg)?

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    09/12/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Guillermo Alvarez
    Last Activity
    09-27-2011 03:21 PM
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times
    Was Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2 Times

If you like leftovers, you can order a regular portion, and a to-go box right away when they bring your meal. Pack most of it up right away to get out of your way, leave your eating portion for now on the plate. then you have leftovers for you to take to work the next day or for your family to eat (you didn't eat off of it, you packed it up at the beginning of your meal ). Looks like a money saver! I am not on solid foods yet, but possible I will do that. Also good advice from Marsha! Oh, and my surgeon gave me a little card that said to please allow me to order off of the kids menu because I can only eat small meals. I think I will keep that in my purse just in case anyone gives me problems. Good Luck Heather! I had my Surgery the day before you did. I'm still on full liquids until NEXT Wednesday. How are you doing?

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    09/12/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Guillermo Alvarez
    Last Activity
    09-27-2011 03:21 PM
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times
    Was Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2 Times

I don't see any banner advertising? Only at the top of the page. maybe a virus? I don't know. Is it common when you go to websites that this happens?

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Last Activity
    06-05-2014 05:30 AM
    Said "Thanks" 546 Times
    Was Thanked 60 Times in 51 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 89 Times

Great idea, DJK.