11/15/2011
    Last Activity
    04-10-2012 04:58 PM
    Said "Thanks" 95 Times
    Was Thanked 9 Times in 9 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 56 Times

Default Pre-op and post op diet HELP HELP

Yes its me again.
    Also tried yesterday to get clear answer on pre-op, post-op diet. Only answer I could get was CLEAR LIQUIDS 2 weeks prior to surgery and CLEAR LIGUIDS 2 weeks post op surgery.
    Do I get protein powder and add to water, or something like crystal light. How do I get my protein in??? How man gm of protein a day should I be getting in???

Can anyone give suggestions on the best protein powders out there?? I have heard UNjury and Pure a really good. Does anyone know if they are on line only???

Any help would be appreciated.
    Sorry for the venting but, I cant seem to get answers and I am getting frustrated.
    Thanks,
    Katie

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member Sunflower's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    03/10/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr Ramos Kelly
    Last Activity
    09-08-2013 09:47 PM
    Said "Thanks" 682 Times
    Was Thanked 704 Times in 669 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 550 Times

Default Re: Pre-op and post op diet HELP HELP

Unjury is only online--very good too. I also like Nectars brand, which you can buy at Vitamin Shoppe.

Fast Weight loss Online at the Weight Loss Center

4. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    09/19/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr.Parker
    Last Activity
    05-09-2012 08:01 AM
    Said "Thanks" 88 Times
    Was Thanked 197 Times in 150 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 136 Times
    Blog Entries

According to the Mayo Clinic this is suggestions for a clear liqaud diet. Do NOT add Carbonated beverages since you are gastric patient . This is a good list for variety. The qauntities obviously are a lot but its just some suggestions of food. For Protien you can order GNC Iso whey protien. it dissolves well into everything. When you are on full liquads you can google a full liqaud diet. Hope this helps!

The following foods are allowed in a clear liquid diet:

Plain water
    Fruit juices without pulp, such as apple juice, grape juice or cranberry juice
    Strained lemonade or fruit punch
    Clear, fat-free broth (bouillon or consomme)
    Clear sodas
    Plain gelatin
    Honey
    Ice pops without bits of fruit or fruit pulp
    Tea or coffee without milk or cream
    Any foods not on the above list should be avoided. Also, for certain tests, such as colon exams, your doctor may ask you to avoid liquids or gelatin with red coloring.

A typical menu on the clear liquid diet may look like this.

Breakfast:
    1 glass fruit juice
    1 cup coffee or tea (without dairy products)
    1 cup broth
    1 bowl gelatin

Snack:
    1 glass fruit juice
    1 bowl gelatin

Lunch:
    1 glass fruit juice
    1 glass water
    1 cup broth
    1 bowl gelatin

Snack:
    1 ice pop (without fruit pulp)
    1 cup coffee or tea (without dairy products) or a soft drink

Dinner:
    1 cup juice or water
    1 cup broth
    1 bowl gelatin
    1 cup coffee or tea

Results

Although the clear liquid diet may not be very exciting, it does fulfill its purpose. It's designed to keep your stomach and intestines clear, limit strain to your digestive system, but keep your body hydrated as you prepare for or recover from a medical procedure.

6. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Sarah
    Surgery date
    03/03/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr Tulloch
    Last Activity
    01-05-2017 01:54 AM
    Said "Thanks" 38 Times
    Was Thanked 217 Times in 129 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 9 Times

Do Not worry too much about protein in your first 2 weeks post op. Its your liquids you need to concentrate on - not protein. Week 3 is when you should start really looking at adding in the protein.
    You'll get lots of different info on here as everyones doctor is different with what they suggest - surely your doctor has given you a diet?? If they haven't - ask!!
    BUT, don't stress, just sip, sip, sip fluids.

Surgery on the 03/03/11

8. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Monica_Lynn's Avatar
    Name
    Monica
    Surgery date
    09/28/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Rob Schuster
    Last Activity
    04-12-2012 03:16 PM
    Said "Thanks" 17 Times
    Was Thanked 16 Times in 15 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 50 Times

For pre-op my surgeon would like that I get in between 60-80 gm of protein a day along with all the clear SF liquids possible including popsicles, jello and broth. I cannot speak for post op until after Wednesday And I absolutely LOVE the Unjury Chocolate Splendor (I ordered 2 tubs pre-op and am almost thru one)

10. Said thanks:

11. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    Last Activity
    10-22-2012 11:27 PM
    Said "Thanks" 9 Times
    Was Thanked 68 Times in 52 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 317 Times
    Blog Entries

I'm going to order the Unjury Chocolate Splendor and the Chicken soup one as well...cuz I love soup in Fall and Winter and I figure I will probably be sleeved in one of those seasons.....I went to Sams Club today here in Central California and looked at all of their powdered and liquid protein options....I am following what folks say on here about flavor and I guess the Unjury Choc Splendor is high on the 'like-love' scale. I found a Greek Yogurt flavored with Strawberry and Blueberry with 11 grams of Protein so I bought some of those to check out. Compared it with the Yoplait or Dannon and beat them handsdown on the Protein content. Just doing my preliminary food 'research' now so that I know what I like and what will work. Good luck Katie.

13. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member VSGOct2011's Avatar
    Surgery date
    10/08/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr Guillermo Alvarez
    Last Activity
    07-04-2013 09:22 AM
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times
    Was Thanked 112 Times in 104 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 72 Times
    Blog Entries

Hi Alaska66,

I'm on the pre-op liquid diet right now...Have been since last Saturday - so today is day 9 of 21. What was explained to me is your length & if you require the pre-op diet is based on your weight & BMI prior to surgery. If your weight is 200'lbs you do 2 weeks, if you're closer to 300 you do 3 weeks, etc. The reason as stated by Lglow also is to clear the fat from your liver. Larger people have more fat in the liver and this enlarges it. When we do the clear liquids it flushes the fat from the liver and makes more room for the laparoscopic tools the doctors use for the surgery. As stated by LGlow it can be pretty boring, but it is essential for a better recovery & smoother outcome. What I can tell you is the first 3-4 days were the absolute worst because I was fixated on what I wasn't eating. Then it was like a fog lifted and as of yesterday I was down 10 lbs. I've been having 1 42 Gram Protein EAS Myoplex Shake (I prefer strawberry or french vanilla), 1 23 gm protein Protein Snack Jello (from bodybuilding store), and 1 10 gram protein Kaizen Protein H20 = 75 Gr protein/day and then filling in the rest of the day with Crystal lights & water, clear beef/chicken broths, and I'm allowed 1 can of fat free/low fat cream soup/day. My comprehensive list from Dr Alvarez' nurse allowed black coffee/tea (no sugar/no cream), and clear pulp free sugar free juices. I can tell you by following this I have broke all cravings, and don't seem to want sugar/carbs anymore. Preparing like this ahead of time will I believe make me better able to accept the dietary changes after surgery. Believe me, I could never walk into a movie theatre without stopping at the concession and loading up on popcorn and goodies before, but yesterday I went to a movie and was able to walk past the concession without a second glance. This was as Oprah says an 'aha' moment for me because I connected my relationship to food & social interactions. You will find after a few weeks on that diet you too will be able to do this!

Gastric Sleeve Member nycbiscuit's Avatar
    Surgery date
    08/12/2011
    Surgeon
    Dakin - NYP Weill Cornell
    Said "Thanks" 8 Times
    Was Thanked 87 Times in 75 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 20 Times

Katie -- your surgeon should give you written instructions or guidelines for both pre and post-op. I've heard a lot of talk about liver and fat and pre-op stuff, but that wasn't my case -- my surgeon only required two days of clears pre-op (and btw, I'm more than twice your size).

There's really not a lot of protein in a clear liquid diet, though. Unjury makes an unflavored and a chicken broth flavored protein powder. Special K makes Protein Water mix in Pink Lemonade and Strawberry Kiwi flavors (only about 5 g per serving, but it's something).

Avoid those shots or gelatins made from collagen protein -- it is not a complete protein. They are clear, they don't hurt, but don't think you're getting your nutritional needs met, either.

Here's info from the program I went through. There's dietary guidelines for the sleeve, pre-op shopping lists, and other stuff. Even if your doctor tells you differently, I found it interesting to read similar info from other surgery centers and programs to get a sense of what kinds of things are "universal truths" in regards to WLS and what things are a bit more subjective.

Name
    Drew
    Surgery date
    06/23/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ken Hollis
    Last Activity
    01-19-2012 04:44 PM
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times
    Was Thanked 54 Times in 46 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times

Sounds like the questions about the liquid stage have been answered. Let me ask - If you aren't happy with your surgeon at this stage, why stick with him?

17. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Katie
    Surgery date
    11/15/2011
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 95 Times

Thanks so much for the info. It is great information.
    How are you doing with your sleeve?? Looks like you are off to a great start.
    keep us updated.
    ONce again,
    Thanks

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Katie
    Surgery date
    11/15/2011
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 95 Times

Thanks for all the info. Where do you get the EAS Myoplex shakes??? How does the protein jello taste.I guess Im stressing about clear liguids because I get really bad headaches if i dont eat something. Asked my surgeon for any ideas on that and all I got was"TAke one day at a time". Wow 9 days into it, sounds like you are doing great. Let me know how you are doing and how the surgery goes.
    Thanks,
    Katie