Dr. Velasquez
    Last Activity
    04-16-2018 07:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 147 Times
    Was Thanked 32 Times in 23 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 188 Times
    Blog Entries

Talking 11 days post op & my first blog since surgery 3-15-16

Hi all past and future Gastric Sleevers! I am very proud to say I am now a Gastric Sleever & very proud of this as well as the choice to have it done in Tijuana, Mexico.! I will do my best to recount to you my experience as best I can from the day before surgery through today. Please be patient with the length of the read, I believe this will appeal more to those yet to go through the process.

3-14-16 Mom and I took a flight from Atlanta to San Diego via Phoenix, AZ. Before we got to security, mom asked why I did not request assistance with a wheel chair. We went back out and submitted the request. As a result, I had someone waiting for me when I departed the plane & all through the process until I returned home that I did not walk through the airports. You see, due to fibromyalgia & the weight on my back, I could not walk for too long without getting into severe pain. (Remember this for later in my journey.) I made the mistake of not putting my bullion cubes in my purse so I did not have anything but some water all day. Please do better than me. I called in San Diego as instructed after getting to the area outside. We had to wait for another young lady & her travel companion before our driver arrived. However, there were no problems making it through to Tijuana & only because of our arrival time to the hotel, we were scheduled to do our lab work the next day. We had a nice light dinner (me according to my pre-op plan) and relaxed for the evening. I warn you that the Wi-Fi is not the greatest at the hotel, but it is there and useable.

3-15-16 DAY OF SURGERY We were told to be in the front at 10:30. Thought this was a little late, but oh well, rolling with the punches. Carried too much stuff with me to the hospital, but I was prepared with my heating pad, pajamas, Gas X, C-PAP DVD movies, and my medications, etc. All of these items turned out to be necessary & everything else was not. In the waiting area, I met others waiting to be prepped & even someone who lives 10 minutes from me! WOW! What a really small world. We all went through the lab process & then out of 8 there were 3 of us left & the three of us roomed together. We were prepped for surgery & I was the last one taken into surgery that day for Dr. Velasquez. My only disappointment with the whole process is that my Dr. never came out to meet us or take a picture with us as I had seen Dr. Almanza do with so many of his patients. Oh well. he did a great job with my surgery, which I guess is the most important thing. I will post some photos from my phone of us in the prep stage. Most of us that were in the waiting room were having surgery performed by Dr. Velasquez, so it was very late in the afternoon, maybe 5ish that I received my surgery. Long time to wait when you have not eaten/drank anything since the night before. I remember coming back into the room & my mom helping me into my pajamas & I was so happy about that. The visitors had to leave right way & then we were experiencing our first post-op evening. We walked as groups as we were instructed & even walked by myself late after midnight. After I was fully awake, I watched some movies did not pass gas or burp until it was time for me to get dressed to leave the next day. So happy for that tiny gas sound. (Haha you will understand). I believe you receive your discharge information this day so put it somewhere where you can locate it later because you will reread it several times to make sure you are doing everything correctly.

3-16-16 Last in, first out in the morning & a nurse was waiting for us in the hotel lobby with instructions. Awesome! Followed instructions to Sip, Walk, Rest for the next two days. Cannot praise the nurses and hotel doctor enough! It was like you were still in the hospital in the care & attention you received. I must interject that my mom was thoroughly impressed with EVERYTHING! They provide you with everything you need & are only a phone call away if you do need something. Also, someone mentioned Carlos from the hotel & he is everything they said he is & MORE.

3-17-16 You receive very clear instructions to prepare you for the next day to have your X-Ray done of your stomach. They leave nothing to chance or for you to misunderstand. The van picks you up & takes you for your x-ray. Then later they take you out for sightseeing & shopping, after you have been seen by the doctor at the hotel & he reviews your x-ray with you. Yes, you will be well enough to do this if you choose. Push yourself to be as mobile as you can, even if it is slow plodding. Later that afternoon/evening, you will have your drain tube removed. It isn't as bad as you think, though I told my "mommy" to come hold my hand just in case.

3-18-16 Depending on your flight time, it could be a real early departure. Be patient because it took us almost 3 hrs. to get to the airport due to the traffic with the border. But it was great because all of us were sleeved & happy with our decision & heading home. The driver also is really nice with watching the bumps for us. So I had my wheelchair assist from San Diego, Phoenix City and home in Atlanta. If you do have to do this, please remember to keep plenty of singles, because you'll be tipping a lot. Since I would be home by myself until my husband came in, he wanted me to stay at my mom's for the week, so I did until Thursday 3-24 when I returned to my house. Boy did I miss it!

3-19 to 3-25 Got out & walked at Wal-Mart & any other place that I could. Stayed mobile as much as possible, but I also rested. On Monday 3-21 I called my PCP & scheduled to have my stitches removed. I answered all the questions & shared I had a bariatric procedure done internationally & that was it. Remember my inability to walk through the airport? How about Tuesday I did 10 laps on the track at my mom's Family Life Center at her church where they have a walking track, basketball court, and weight lifting cardio gym! Yes I did! Also did 15 laps on Wednesday! My hubby told me not to push it & to keep it at 10 laps after he heard about the 15 laps. No back ache & no pain! Hallelujah!!! I have also been able to walk around in stores & do some shopping without having to get a scooter, & only get a shopping cart because I needed it for the grocery & not to rest on/help me walk.

3-25 This is the last part of my journey to share, my doctor visit. Wow! My doctor blew my mind! She was so open & understanding. She immediately asked me the cost for the procedure & what all was included. I shared everything. My PCP is Indian & does not understand why other PCP look down on this as a solution. She then went on to share with me how she saved over $150,000 by sending her mom to India for back surgery and how much more she received than she would have here in the US without any insurance. Remember the young lady that lived near me? Well I had been keeping in touch with her to make sure she was alright. Unfortunately she had not been having the same reception with others in the medical field, so she was happy to be referred to my PCP & now has an appt. for Monday. She also found out she had been at the facility before & her info was in the system, what a blessing!

So, I am doing quite well, just really working on sipping because I forget sometimes & it does hurt going down, though not as much as in the beginning. I am really ready for something more than broth, jello, pops & protein shake & to stop hearing my stomach growl so much. I really want to be successful & I am doing my best to abide by my post-op diet. On a funny note, my dad was horrible with offering me food that he knew I couldn't have. So one night I accepted a tiny piece of his steak & sucked every bit of juice out of it I could! Figure I did not break any rules since I did not eat anything, but that juice sure was good! Also trying to get in more liquids, sure I am not getting enough, but I'm working on it.

One thing I want to share is from my mom's perspective. She really felt for the people who did not have a support person to come with them or for those who could not share with the most important people in their lives their decision. This really grieved her. She would encourage everyone to bring someone with them if at all possible. It's the little things that the person does for you physically after surgery & the emotional support you receive from them as well. Also, do your best to stick to your pre-op diet. We believe that adhering to the pre-op & also the covering of prayer before, during and after has made all the difference in the world.

I hope this has helped someone & feel free to ask me any questions. Have a blessed evening!

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    04/07/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Carlos Velasquez
    Last Activity
    07-18-2022 10:29 PM
    Said "Thanks" 35 Times
    Was Thanked 38 Times in 34 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2,575 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: 11 days post op & my first blog since surgery 3-15-16

Thank you, this was very informative. I really appreciate you sharing the start of your journey.

4. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    03/31/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Velazquez
    Last Activity
    10-26-2016 03:38 PM
    Said "Thanks" 12 Times
    Was Thanked 41 Times in 34 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 5 Times
    Blog Entries

You are such a Blessing!

HW 210
    SW 193
    2 weeks 180.3
    3 weeks 177.6
    4 weeks 173.8
    5 weeks 172.6
    6 weeks 171.6
    3 months 165.0
    4 months 159.8
    6 months 154.5

6. Said thanks:

Name
    Rochelle Dean
    Surgeon
    Dr. Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    01-03-2019 08:31 AM
    Said "Thanks" 5 Times
    Was Thanked 78 Times in 61 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,197 Times
    Blog Entries

Angelia, I too was there and had surgery on the 15th, I don't think we were introduced. I appreciate you telling your story and I am so happy for you that things are going great and you are walking so much. I went to my Dr. the day after we got home to Montana to have her examine me and look at the x-rays and make sure is all as it should be. She too is so supportive and understanding, especially since this was my second time and I did not tell her I was having it done. I go in on Tuesday to have my stitches removed as last time I had an incision that did not close all the way so I am leaving them in a little longer to hope that helps. I am very much looking forward to starting Pureed foods on Monday for week 3.

8. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Purple Queen's Avatar
    Name
    Angelia Byrd
    Surgery date
    03/15/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Velasquez
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 147 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RoDean View Post
    Angelia, I too was there and had surgery on the 15th, I don't think we were introduced. I appreciate you telling your story and I am so happy for you that things are going great and you are walking so much. I went to my Dr. the day after we got home to Montana to have her examine me and look at the x-rays and make sure is all as it should be. She too is so supportive and understanding, especially since this was my second time and I did not tell her I was having it done. I go in on Tuesday to have my stitches removed as last time I had an incision that did not close all the way so I am leaving them in a little longer to hope that helps. I am very much looking forward to starting Pureed foods on Monday for week 3.
    Rochelle I am sorry we did not meet. I tried to meet as many as I could. Wait, were you sitting at pool at all?

10. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Name
    Rochelle Dean
    Surgeon
    Dr. Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 5 Times
    Blog Entries

yes, just putting my feet in the water with my husband.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Gabriela V
    Surgery date
    03/15/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Velazquez
    Last Activity
    05-18-2017 12:21 PM
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times
    Was Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

I seen her at the pool

Name
    Angelia Byrd
    Surgery date
    03/15/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Velasquez
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 147 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RoDean View Post
    yes, just putting my feet in the water with my husband.
    Then we did meet. I stood there talking to you all & someone asked if I was a nurse. If not that day, then another when I was walking by & I stopped & said hello.

Name
    Rochelle Dean
    Surgeon
    Dr. Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 5 Times
    Blog Entries

Oh, ok, I remember you now. Sorry I didn't before. I am so glad that things are going so very well for you. I am also very glad you had your Mom, I know exactly what you mean about the support. I don't think I could have done this, either time, without my husband.

Name
    Angie
    Surgery date
    12/15/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Lahmann
    Last Activity
    03-06-2018 03:02 PM
    Said "Thanks" 7 Times
    Was Thanked 41 Times in 38 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3,258 Times
    Blog Entries

Welcome to the sleeved side ladies!

16. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    03/08/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Amanda Parker
    Last Activity
    01-02-2017 04:35 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 7 Times in 3 Posts

So happy that you are doing good. I had my surgery on March 8th and I am at the puree food stage, but really just prefer to do liquid, because it is just so little food that you would want to puree... but overall I am doing good, trying to get as much liquids and walking in as possible.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    04/26/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr Hernandez
    Last Activity
    09-18-2017 02:39 PM
    Said "Thanks" 8 Times
    Was Thanked 21 Times in 15 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 44 Times
    Blog Entries

Are you able to drink coffee??

Name
    Angelia Byrd
    Surgery date
    03/15/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Velasquez
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 147 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Drea335 View Post
    So happy that you are doing good. I had my surgery on March 8th and I am at the puree food stage, but really just prefer to do liquid, because it is just so little food that you would want to puree... but overall I am doing good, trying to get as much liquids and walking in as possible.
    Hi Drea, have you consulted with WLA. There is so much more we can have than what is on our exit paperwork. They email you an eating plan with much more detail. It has helped me tremendously! I am still losing weight & no longer limited to a liquid diet.

Name
    Angelia Byrd
    Surgery date
    03/15/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Velasquez
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 147 Times
    Blog Entries

Yes I am able to drink coffee. However, by the time I have my morning protein shake I don't have a desire for coffee.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    03/15/2016
    Surgeon
    Almanza
    Last Activity
    01-22-2017 08:53 AM
    Said "Thanks" 5 Times
    Was Thanked 10 Times in 6 Posts
    Blog Entries

Thanks Angelia for the post. I'm doing well over here as well. Just a note though, we are actually 19 days post op so we're getting a lil closer to solids than you posted......lol.