Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Last Activity
    07-22-2016 07:46 AM
    Said "Thanks" 131 Times
    Was Thanked 50 Times in 36 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 43 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Still Researching, Gastric Sleeve Only not planning on band or bypass-Dr. Almanza? or another physician?

I have been researching and entertaining this idea of surgery for a long time, I really started by homework and research/investigating since 5/15. I am planning on using Dr. Almanza for the procedure, he is in Mexico. Alternatives either in the U.S. or another physician in Mexico or other country. So far in all my research since May, I have not seen really any negative remarks or issues with the physician or the location that would alarm me. I have sat down and watched you tube videos, read blogs and posts, etc... Also interviews the physician has done regarding his practice too. So happens, after I decided on a date ? 8/17/15 for the procedure, behold, a video pops up claiming at least 10 people injured from this physician, but the video only showed 4. I did investigate these issues with the Weightloss agents, but of course if the problems are with them and the doctor ?would they admit their wrong doing to me, don't think so. Even though I can honestly say after talking for hours with them, I ended up pretty satisfied with their Reponses to my question. Was I brained washed, lol? But as I am reviewing so many posts and comments, I see hundreds of different physicians that everyone has gone too. I thought this site was somewhat a connection with Weightloss agents and the practice physician and patients, but I guess not. So that's a bit alarming for me on its own. If that makes sense.

Based on research the U.S. has the worst healthcare in the world, which I have been studying this for years. It is different researching and investigating another country and physicians since the laws, regulations, reporting, etc... are so different. They do not have the same criteria as the U.S.

These our my concerns?

Also anyone else might be going on August 17 for surgery, I am not committed to this date, so if you are a couple of days out the way or sooner, maybe I can make arrangements to do this earlier. Let me know, we can talk

HW 231
    Pre-Op Weight 226
    SW 8/17/15 215 down 11lbs
    9/17/15 191 down another 24 lbs.

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgeon
    Dr. J
    Last Activity
    08-20-2017 12:22 PM
    Said "Thanks" 47 Times
    Was Thanked 136 Times in 114 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 127 Times

Default Re: Still Researching, Gastric Sleeve Only not planning on band or bypass-Dr. Almanza? or another physician?

Lady,
    I've been reading the Dr. Almanza posts too. When I first started on this forum a year ago, I heard nothing but praise. I also know that media can do a poor job of reporting. I was told that his name was mentioned but there were many more surgeries that he did not perform. The way it was presented, it sounded like he did all of them. I also heard that other physicians can have people get on the forums and bad mouth a surgeon so they can get the business. I think the best thing is to post on here asking Dr. Almanza's patients to give their opinion. This forum is suppose to be for those of us who are researching, will have, or have had surgery.

4. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Karen
    Surgery date
    04/30/2015
    Surgeon
    Almanza
    Last Activity
    04-08-2019 06:08 PM
    Said "Thanks" 45 Times
    Was Thanked 31 Times in 20 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 32 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Still Researching, Gastric Sleeve Only not planning on band or bypass-Dr. Almanza? or another physician?

I used Dr. Almanza for my surgery on April 30, 2015. I had a friend that went the same day and had the same surgery. I was pleased with the facilities, staff, surgery and care I received. We traveled from Mississippi to San Diego, then were transported to the hotel in Tijuana. We used the weight loss agents to set everything up, and as I said, we were pleased. We decided to only pay the deposit, so if we had even a smidge of unease we wouldn't have to fight for a refund. Never saw or heard or experienced anything to make us uneasy at all. Happy to say we both did great through the surgery and have both healed well, and have no complaints. We did our research also, and were as well informed as we could be before we went. Lots of the other patients seemed to not even know what to expect, did not do their pre-op diets, and did not know what to expect for the after care. That being said, I think most of them did just fine in spite of themselves. Good luck whatever you decide!

6. Said thanks:

Name
    Val
    Surgery date
    01/24/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Said "Thanks" 556 Times
    Was Thanked 320 Times in 264 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 14,570 Times
    Blog Entries

He did mine Jan 2012. I have not complaints and have such wonderful success.

8. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member MirandaBarya's Avatar
    Surgery date
    08/06/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr Almanza
    Last Activity
    02-14-2016 12:52 AM
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

I'm going there August 6th. Well arriving August 5th. Going alone if you want to bump your surgery date up maybe we can meet there!

10. Said thanks:

11. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Surgeon
    Dr. J
    Last Activity
    08-20-2017 12:22 PM
    Said "Thanks" 47 Times
    Was Thanked 136 Times in 114 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 127 Times

I know someone who went down there last week (don't know the surgeon). She did no dieting, psych evaluation, nutrition education etc. I think that is a huge mistake. Make sure you learn everything you can to educate yourself. You can even do the above education on your own by going to your family doctor. Make sure you have someone in the field to assist you if you have problems when you get home. It would be great to go to a support group too.

13. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member culpepperbaker's Avatar
    Name
    Sarah
    Surgery date
    07/06/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr Almanza
    Last Activity
    01-01-2016 10:54 AM
    Said "Thanks" 19 Times
    Was Thanked 8 Times in 7 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2 Times
    Blog Entries

I had surgery with Dr Almanza on Monday (7/6). I am home and feeling GREAT!! I had no problems at all. A couple people had nausea (I think they didn't follow the liquid diet, which could be the cause). The group of people I was there with even started our own Facebook page so we could keep in touch and offer support. If anyone ever asked me my opinion, I would tell them to go to Dr Almanza in a heart beat. Best thing I've ever done (down 21 pounds). If you want more info, I would be happy to tell you anything you want or need to know. Good luck to you

15. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    06/08/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr, Chae
    Last Activity
    05-24-2016 05:28 PM
    Said "Thanks" 57 Times
    Was Thanked 135 Times in 120 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 984 Times

I doubt that not following a pre op diet was the cause of nausea. There are many surgeons who don't do pre op diets anymore. I had no pre op diet and didn't have nausea post op.

Gastric Sleeve Member TravelinGal's Avatar
    Surgery date
    07/27/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ariel Ortiz
    Last Activity
    01-29-2016 07:46 PM
    Said "Thanks" 17 Times
    Was Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 179 Times

I chose Dr. Ariel Ortiz because, first and foremost, I couldn't find anything bad about him. The other main reason I chose him is because he over-stitches the staple line and I feel like that makes it more secure, reducing the (already low) chance of leaks and also making the stomach more resistant to stretching out over time.
    I had originally looked at Almanza, but he just didn't "click" for me. I do not know if he does the over-stitching or not. And now that I've read these bad reports on this site, which promotes him, I'm glad I went a different direction. That is my two cents. (and with inflation, that's not worth much at all, I'm sure... LOL)

Research is key, regardless of who you choose.

If you want to know more about the over-stitching you can google "Inverted Gastric Sleeve" The doctor in TX that did the video has the best description of it. (He's trademarked that name, but not the procedure and since I'm self pay, I couldn't justify his $17000 price tag)

18. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    07/07/2015
    Surgeon
    Broussard
    Last Activity
    02-17-2017 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 83 Times
    Was Thanked 98 Times in 57 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3 Times
    Blog Entries

This seems to be a touchy subject here, as many seem to have gone to Mexico for the surgery. I do believe this is Dr. Almanza's site.

In the end you have to be comfortable with your decision. I will never buy that the U.S. has the worst healthcare in the world.

For me I ran the numbers and I had my sleeve done for about $12,000 including complication insurance. I was able to get it done about an hour drive away in Edmond, OK. Going to Mexico would have been a little cheaper but, when it is all added up but it wasn't worth it to me. I like knowing my surgeon and staff are only a short drive away.

Best of luck on your journey, I hope you succeed and do so without much concern on your mind.

20. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member LadyLitteRock's Avatar
    Surgery date
    08/17/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Last Activity
    07-22-2016 07:46 AM
    Said "Thanks" 131 Times
    Was Thanked 50 Times in 36 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 43 Times
    Blog Entries

thanks to all, who responded to my questions and offered additional insight, helps a lot

HW 231
    Pre-Op Weight 226
    SW 8/17/15 215 down 11lbs
    9/17/15 191 down another 24 lbs.

Gastric Sleeve Member TravelinGal's Avatar
    Surgery date
    07/27/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ariel Ortiz
    Last Activity
    01-29-2016 07:46 PM
    Said "Thanks" 17 Times
    Was Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 179 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Brandonf150 View Post
    This seems to be a touchy subject here, as many seem to have gone to Mexico for the surgery. I do believe this is Dr. Almanza's site.
    This is not Dr Almanza's site. He is a featured physician, but nope, not his site. Just like it is not a Mexico surgery only site or a US only site etc. It IS a gastric SLEEVE site, so a band or bypass member, while allowed, would not "fit in" as well as all of us who are getting the sleeve. If it was a site on just one doctor or clinic, I would not feel right posting here if it wasn't my doctor.

When people express opinions it can always be touchy. I did not speak ill of Dr A - I simply said he didn't click with me. I also said that after reading the same posts the original poster mentioned it was a concern to me.
    The OP asked for info on him "or another physician?" so I shared my reason for why I chose who I did.

I am not attacking you, but trying to be clear. After all, I'm not judging you for having chosen to see a US doctor and spending more money than I feel was necessary. (that would be like judging someone who chooses to drive a Geo Metro because I drive a Jaguar {I don't BTW} or vice versa.)

LadyLittleRock - do your research and do what makes YOU comfortable. That is all that matters - other than all of us improving our health! Thinner days ahead for all!

23. Said thanks: