03/02/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Van Wagner
    Last Activity
    03-14-2015 09:38 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default Weight loss not the problem... and I'm scared!

First, I'm getting more terrified each day as my surgery is on Monday and I keep questioning myself if this is right or not. Is this a normal response? Does everyone have doubts beforehand? Second, I have read many things about the weight loss and how it is a great tool to help. Weight loss is not the problem for me. Keeping it off is the problem so my question to those who have had the sleeve and reached a weight where they are comfortable - does it aid in keeping the weight off? I have tried every diet, and been successful, but then over time I put all of the weight back on (and of course a few extra). Investigating the gastric sleeve, it seemed that this would help me by not allowing me to go back to eating gigantic portions of food. I know I can make poor choices and that doesn't help, but my larger issue has always been portion control. Can anyone give me some thoughts and experiences on these two things? Thanks!

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    I have not had a gastric sleeve.
    Last Activity
    06-10-2015 09:54 AM
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times

Default Re: Weight loss not the problem... and I'm scared!

I was very scared, very skeptical. I have absolutely no health problems, no stomach problems. I have no history of nausea, vomiting, ulcers, heartburn, etc. I am very healthy, just obese. Here I am potentially changing all that. I changed my mind so many times. On the way to the airport, in the plane, in the hospital, on the operation room, etc. The only reason I didn't jump off the operation bed and run out of the room is because they put me to sleep.

I have not had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgeon
    Dr Baker
    Last Activity
    04-05-2016 11:06 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 41 Times

I'm scared too! I'm still in my preparation phase and have lost 10lbs of the 20lbs required for scheduling my surgery. It has been slow going for me so I've had time to ponder and change my mind back and forth. As time goes on I have become more comfortable with my decision to proceed and second guessing myself less. I started attending a support group with both preop and postop members. It was very helpful to ask questions about what it will really be like and realize that I am not alone in my struggles. The more I prepare the less I worry. I tell myself it is normal to have concerns about making such a big change and also actually good to get all of my questioning in now. This site helps so much also as the success stories and information are very motivating.

I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    09/13/2011
    Surgeon
    Rothchild
    Said "Thanks" 181 Times
    Was Thanked 530 Times in 430 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 12,041 Times
    Blog Entries

Sounds like you dont make a permanent lifestyle change when you go on diets and this may be a good option for you in the fact that its more permanent. I used to be able to lose weight but i would put it back on like you say and now for me I am able to stay on a much better portion controlled lifestyle because i have changed everything bout how i look at food but it will take you changing your thoughts that this isnt an "until;" thing its a rest of your life thing. if that makes sense
    "Its Not Hard Its Just New!"
    Transforming from caterpillar to butterfly to phoenix!

Surgery date
    04/29/2014
    Surgeon
    David Schroeder
    Last Activity
    12-26-2015 07:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 145 Times
    Was Thanked 106 Times in 82 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 4 Times

My problem was always portion size - now, that option has been taken away from me. I can eat whatever I want, just a small amount. But what's really freaky about the surgery, is that it changes something in your brain too (only the sleeve and bypass do this, according to a doco I watched a few years ago). I don't get cravings like I used to, I don't feel "denied" foods like I used to on a diet, I simply don't want a lot of foods I used to eat daily, like chocolate. Took me 8 months to have chocolate after surgery :-)

I'm now in maintenance, and I'm honestly finding it a breeze, you become much more aware of what you're consuming. You also become much less interested in food, I find I'm not thinking about it all the time like I used to on a diet. If I start gaining, I become more careful about what I'm eating. I also fast sometimes and skip dinner which drops the weight, but it's not something I do often. I don't get hungry, which helps, but this isn't the case for everyone.

To be honest, I feel like there's a before me, and an after me. I'm not talking about physically, though the weight loss is obvious. I mean mentally, I feel such a different person now. I feel "normal" :-)
    1 month post op - 17.2kg/37lbs/2.7st lost
    2 months - 8.6kg/18lbs/1.37st
    3 months - 5.1kg/11lbs
    4 months - 5kg/11lbs
    5 months - 4.1kg/9lbs
    6 months - 4.5kg/9lbs
    73.1=50kg 7/12/14
    72.8kg=8st 10/12/14
    68.1=55kg,SURGEON'S GOAL!! & "normal" BMI - 20 Jan 15

66kg=9st, MY GOAL!!! 12 Feb 2015!!!

7. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Name
    Heather
    Surgery date
    10/14/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr.Selim
    Last Activity
    06-08-2016 01:58 PM
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times
    Was Thanked 272 Times in 222 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 97 Times
    Blog Entries

Losing it was not the problem for me either. I'd lost the same 60 pounds several times over and always gained it back with interest. I'm an optimist by nature. Was I scared, of course, but I was MORE afraid of life without the procedure than getting it done. I watched my dad commit slow suicide by knife and fork at 52 and was rapidly headed down the same road. Today, I enjoy all the things I did before, just in very small quantities. If I begin to drift outside my goal range of 135-145, it's only by a pound or 2 and I'm able to get it in check within a week. I've developed a daily exercise habit which helps a lot! You DO have to make a permanent lifestyle change. Difference is now if I step outside the boundaries, there is a consequence that typically puking and pain and it's not a mistake I make very often anymore. Best gift EVER to have my health and a tool to help maintain control!

Don't worry about hurting my feelings because I guarantee you not one bit of my self esteem is tied up in your acceptance.

Surgery date
    03/02/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Van Wagner
    Last Activity
    03-14-2015 09:38 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times

Thank you so much everyone for your comments and insight. This is truly beneficial. I'm still nervous, but know in my heart this is the right decision for me. This site and these posts are a God send for me. Portion control long term is my greatest need and I believe this is the right tool! Thanks again!!!!

Surgery date
    09/22/2012
    Surgeon
    Mr Chris Sutton
    Last Activity
    11-10-2015 06:02 PM
    Said "Thanks" 37 Times
    Was Thanked 748 Times in 671 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 482 Times
    Blog Entries

First, I'm getting more terrified each day as my surgery is on Monday and I keep questioning myself if this is right or not. Is this a normal response?
    Yes! I was shitting myself beforehand. Just reminded myself it was a rational, not an emotional decision and kept going. I cried going into surgery

Second, I have read many things about the weight loss and how it is a great tool to help. Weight loss is not the problem for me. Keeping it off is the problem so my question to those who have had the sleeve and reached a weight where they are comfortable - does it aid in keeping the weight off?
    Yes! I've maintained with very little difficulty for about 18 months now. Not managed that kind of maintenance before, but had successfully lost weight a number of times, before piling it back on (and then some)

I know I can make poor choices and that doesn't help, but my larger issue has always been portion control.
    Portion control is hugely changed - I'm grateful every time I have to stop eating because my wee tummy says stop

You're welcome to have a look at my blog (you can find it from my profile) if you want to see the journey for someone 2.5 years post-surgery. I'm still completely happy with my decision.

Name
    Janice
    Surgery date
    09/24/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Boorse
    Last Activity
    01-14-2021 06:57 AM
    Said "Thanks" 135 Times
    Was Thanked 199 Times in 117 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 113 Times

I totally get it!!!!! I feel exactly the same way. It is much easier to push the plate away, say no to foods that were your favorites. I go to a support group monthly and most of the people that have years in, say that this doesn't last. So I want to enjoy this feeling for as long as it lasts. This is a great opportunity to create the new habits that will keep us on the normal side of the scale.

Surgery date
    03/03/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr Frank Felts
    Last Activity
    01-30-2018 01:25 PM
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times
    Was Thanked 15 Times in 12 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 572 Times

I know how you are feeling, my surgery is Tuesday, March 3rd, I was feeling the same way but after my pre-op appts and EGD I am finally at peace. My problem has always been portion control, I come from a family of big eaters and some big health issues that for the most part I have fortunately not acquired ..yet!! This is the main reason I'm doing this WLS is to hopefully head off the health problems.