Dr. Mehta
    Last Activity
    03-25-2020 07:44 PM
    Said "Thanks" 560 Times
    Was Thanked 365 Times in 229 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Guess nsv

When I was a kid, there were things all the other kids would wear. The "cool kids" got mini skirts, parachute pants, jordache jeans, and so many others. I could never wear any of it because they weren't made big enough for me. One thing I always wanted was Guess jeans. Everyone was wearing them and I even got made fun of because I was too fat for them and didn't have them. I got teased pretty bad and it has stuck with me my whole life. I have ALWAYS wanted a pair of Guess jeans but I'm not a stick girl and they only make them for skinny girls.
    Well GUESS what??? I went out on a limb and went into the Guess store to browse today. Then i saw those jeans sitting there. It's like they were mocking me saying "you'll never have me, ever" so I said what the hell??!! I'm trying them on!!! Since 1982 i have wanted to see that little Guess triangle on my ass and today I DID!!!! I HAVE GUESS JEANS!!!!!! I was in shock when they fit and they are 27's, so not even the biggest size!! I finally have Guess jeans and I plan to wear the hell outta them damn jeans!! Woohoo!!!

You don’t have to be perfect. You just need to be better.

Revision stats:
    3/2/20 Pre-op: 197.5

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member Granna1965's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Gwen
    Surgery date
    09/24/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Brad Snyder
    Last Activity
    03-09-2018 09:19 AM
    Said "Thanks" 10 Times
    Was Thanked 54 Times in 52 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 5,458 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Guess nsv

LOL! Yea. Good for you! My goal is a pair of Miss Me.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Highest Weight: 302 (2007)

4. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    04/22/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Elias Ortiz
    Last Activity
    02-20-2024 01:57 AM
    Said "Thanks" 206 Times
    Was Thanked 504 Times in 372 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 231 Times

So glad you fulfilled that dream!

"Lee, by "own it!" your daughter means that you should be proud of your accomplishment and understand that you deserve this. Not because you have to pay it forward or backward to justify your own benefits. She means that this is YOUR accomplishment, and accomplishing that for yourself is enough. You do not have to fix everybody. And you do not owe anyone for the benefits you have earned. They are YOURS!" Ann2

6. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member jessiejess's Avatar
    Name
    Jessie
    Surgery date
    11/13/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Mehta
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 560 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Granna1965 View Post
    LOL! Yea. Good for you! My goal is a pair of Miss Me.
    My gift to myself when I hit goal was to get a pair of Miss Me's. Well, i hit goal and I got them. They are 30's and I love them, but they are actually too big now!!! I just got another pair of 27's in those too. I can't believe i actually enjoy shopping for jeans. I used to dread it because nothing ever fit right and they were so uncomfortable. Now I've got a TON of them. And I just added GUESS JEANS!!! I swear I am going to wear them to the next high school reunion so those brats can kiss that label on my ass!!! Lol!

Revision stats:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Joy
    Surgery date
    07/28/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Jose Rodriguez
    Last Activity
    10-05-2016 07:21 PM
    Said "Thanks" 6 Times
    Was Thanked 30 Times in 27 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,549 Times
    Blog Entries

Yeehah!

9. Said thanks:

10. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Surgery date
    04/22/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Elias Ortiz
    Last Activity
    02-20-2024 01:57 AM
    Said "Thanks" 206 Times
    Was Thanked 504 Times in 372 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 231 Times

You do that!

"Lee, by "own it!" your daughter means that you should be proud of your accomplishment and understand that you deserve this. Not because you have to pay it forward or backward to justify your own benefits. She means that this is YOUR accomplishment, and accomplishing that for yourself is enough. You do not have to fix everybody. And you do not owe anyone for the benefits you have earned. They are YOURS!" Ann2

12. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Cathy
    Surgery date
    09/03/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Dexter Turnquest
    Last Activity
    08-27-2015 03:44 PM
    Said "Thanks" 4 Times
    Was Thanked 26 Times in 25 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2 Times
    Blog Entries

Congratulations!!!! I haven't worn jeans since High School maybe I'll be able to eventually. My surgeon says when he does the skin surgery, I should lose another 40 pounds or so. My goal is to be able to play some basketball with my son. He's 24 now, but that's still my goal. or to ride on a rollercoaster with him and his fiancee. Congratulations everyone.

14. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Kathysangels's Avatar
    Name
    Kathy
    Surgery date
    02/11/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Brethauer
    Said "Thanks" 98 Times
    Was Thanked 88 Times in 66 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 364 Times

So happy for you.

It was sad to hear you say how you felt as a kid. Why do kids treat someone who is different so badly? They have no idea what damage they do to our minds. I would bet that there are at least one of the hurtful memories that each of us could share about the hurt we have carried for years. I want to hold each of our "little persons" inside and hug them and tell them that things will get better. I want to remind them that they are of infinite worth - and nobody has a right to make them feel anything less than great!

I saw a reunion type show and someone who had been bullied as a kid - ridiculed for weight, wearing glasses, no designer clothes, etc. Well she had lost the weight, wore contacts and got a great job and went to the reunion as the best dressed there. She found the courage to go up to the bully and tell him off for what he had done. He looked at her in surprise and said - "I don't even remember saying/doing those things. That was so many years ago - get over it." Never apologized, never even thought about the fact that what he did must have hurt her pretty bad if she brought it up all those years later. Nobody has any idea how hurtful words and actions can be to a young person.

Sadly my "Moment" came from my brother (who I am still not close to - haven't seen him in years, and never talk on the phone unless there is a family issue we need to discuss. We were at High-school - I was a Freshman and I was with a group of my friends. I saw him coming towards us on the sidewalk with a bunch of his friends, and because I loved him and was proud of him at that time, I told my friends, "there's my brother" and then I said hi to him. His answer? "Get out of the way you big fat pig". Oh my how those words stung and they have hurt our relationship all these years later. Words do hurt!!!

Congratulations on your nsv and you loss!

Hugs,
    Kathy

16. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    02/07/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr.Kim Celebration,Fl. 2/7
    Last Activity
    05-11-2016 10:36 AM
    Said "Thanks" 57 Times
    Was Thanked 275 Times in 247 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 435 Times

Why is it no matter what we accomplish we still remember that bully ? I was thin when I was younger so that was not my bully's hit point . My Mom was mentally ill and very sweet but different . i had a friend who's Mom was from Germany . Her Mom was vert strict and she really resticted some of the clothing she wore Most often not the "in"clothes .Our bully thought she she was everything..cute , a cheer leader in the "group with the kids that had it all".. Looks , money , sports.. Really looked down and teased those she thought "less than ..
    Years later she was very over weight .Got married right out of high school than divorced .. Married again and divorced .. I went to college while marryied to my husband . We will be married 45 years in Nov. and are enjoying a great retirement . The bully recently got a job as an personal aid to those who are Mentally Ill.. When we are visiting our home state and she passes , she always says "HI!"..
    I am even at this age tempted to ask her what she remembers about how she treated some of us .
    It is funny that we still want to go to that High school reunion and show them where we are at.. A funny thing it .. My 45 th class reunion is in Oct . The same day as I will be reaching one of my NSV 's .. Doing my first 5 K ! It is actually to help prepare me for the Disney 5K in Feb.
    01/2013 information group 225. ,ht 5' 5". BMI. 37.5 ,01/30 /2014. Start pre op diet 218 lbs 2/7 .. Surgery. ..214. ..2/14...204. 03/1..206 ??.. March 6 (4 week check up 202lb. March. 8.. First goal . 199.4. BMI. 33.1. April1. .192.5. May 7. 188.6
    Jun 1. 178. BMI. 29.2. .reached a Goal.. No longer obese!!!? 7-01. ..174 , 08/1,..1965.. 08/7......14 months. 149...a normal BMI ...

18. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Dawnrogers7's Avatar
    Name
    Dawnie
    Surgery date
    03/25/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr Almanza
    Last Activity
    10-19-2020 02:30 PM
    Said "Thanks" 42 Times
    Was Thanked 77 Times in 52 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 58 Times

Good for you!! Fullfilling those dreams feels wonderful! I had a few bullies but the one I remember most was my mother. She was very heavy and didn't want me to be heavy. She went overboard. She always told me my sister looked better than I did because she was slim. She took me to weight watchers when I was ten years. To spite her I would bring a candy bar with me and after weigh in I would pretend to go the the restroom and then I would eat it.

To make a long story short-I have dealt with eating disorders my whole life. Now I feel better than I ever have in my life! I hope my mother is looking down from heaven and is happy for me. I don't blame her, she was trying to keep me from having the same hopeless feelings she had. She just went about it in a way that hurt my heart.
    Starting weight from pre op. Weight on day of surgery 232.5

20. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member jessiejess's Avatar
    Name
    Jessie
    Surgery date
    11/13/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Mehta
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 560 Times
    Blog Entries

It's amazing the impact these things have on us. And it's even worse when the bully lives with us. Kathy - my worst bully was my brother. We are now estranged and I haven't spoken to him in 7 years. He always made me feel SO HORRIBLE about myself. He teased me relentlessly. He physically abused me as a child. When my parents would leave me alone with him, he'd beat me up and tease me until they got home. I was always too afraid of him to tell so they never knew until I was in my mid-twenties and finally told my mother. She confronted him and he bragged and said it was payback for me always getting him into trouble, and that he'd do it again if given the chance.
    He actually called me "lipid" instead of my name. And he did it in front of all of my friends so everyone always joined in the teasing and laughed at me. He'd tell people how much I ate at meals and call me a pig. I'd hide and eat so he wouldn't see me. His teasing only made me worse. He is 7 years older than me so it put me at quite a disadvantage. And the saddest thing is I looked up to him and loved him so much! All I wanted was for him to be proud of me. Well, 7 years ago I realized he was holding me back and was still making me feel bad about myself. It took a lot of time on a therapist's couch to face that. So, he went off on me one last time and that was it. We don't speak because I stood up to him and now he "hates" me. Typical. Bullies can usually dish it out, but they can't take it. The worst part of it all is the fact that my Mom can't have Christmas or Thanksgiving or anything with her kids because he won't even be in the same room with me. If she even speaks my name, he goes off. I've grown past him. I couldn't care less anymore because now I see how horrible he was/is. But it's Mom who suffers. People are just so cruel and they don't care what they leave in their wake, as long as they get their egos satisfied by picking on someone to make themselves feel better. It's just pathetic.
    SO - LIVING WELL IS THE BEST REVENGE!! My Mom said she is going to get a picture of me and my kids and just casually send him a pic of "the kids" with me in it so he can see me now!! Even she wants to rub in his face how thin I am now because she realizes how horrible and hateful he is to me. That must be hard for a Mom.....
    I see my daughter gaining weight now and I hear her twin brother call her fat and a pig and it makes me want to crawl out of my skin because he has no idea what those words can do to her. I will NOT watch a re-run of that part of my childhood so I'm on top of it and will not let him treat her badly, nor will I ever let her feel like less of a person because she weighs more than the "ideal" childhood weight. I know I can't protect her from everything, but I can make her feel good and boost her self-esteem while I'm with her. And I can teach him the meaning of hurtful things so he'll think before he says them. Kids can just be so cruel but I'm going to do my best to teach them both to think of others feelings as they would of their own.
    I'm so glad I'm a grown up now. AND I'M THIN!!!!

Revision stats:

Gastric Sleeve Member Kathysangels's Avatar
    Name
    Kathy
    Surgery date
    02/11/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Brethauer
    Said "Thanks" 98 Times
    Was Thanked 88 Times in 66 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 364 Times

Jessiejess:
    It is amazing to me how similar our stories are. I think the fact that our bullies were in our homes gave us no place to go when they hit. And, I mean literally hit US. When my parents would leave us alone - either I was left alone to care for my two younger siblings (while he was placed in charge and would leave the minute their car did and miraculously returned home minutes before they did and swore he was never gone.) OR, he would literally chase me into the front bathroom where I would lock the door and stay there until my parents came home. (I always left a book, a snack and a glass so that I could drink some water, and often sat in the bathtub with a towel as a pillow.) On a few occasions, his rage (and that is what it seemed to be) would continue and he would kick a hole in the door or his fist would go into the door. It scared me, but he couldn't get in. Of course when my parents got home, he denied everything and for whatever reason, they chose to believe him.

I have often wondered where his rage came from - I have always been someone who wanted peace and hated any confrontation. But there were a number of reasons why we were left alone so often; as many as why he blow up at me; and these reasons affected each of us children differently. In my case I became the "little Momma" helping to care for my younger siblings. I am still the one they turn to since both of our parents have died many years ago.

Sometimes the past is overwhelming as I think back. Sigh - amazing how in my mind as I wrote this - I could see myself holed up in that bathroom hearing the kicks at the door and knowing if he ever got into the room it would mean real pain for me.

Sigh - I loved my parents so dearly - but I wonder if the parents of overweight kids back then ever thought why their children had problems that eventually followed us into our adulthood. I have a feeling that they themselves had a rough bringing up and just didn't know what to do. It has made me ever more diligent with our son and our foster daughter (both adults now). I know that I bent over backwards to make sure that they never experienced anything so serious - sigh - and yet I wonder if I was too soft?

Oh well - walk down memory lane complete for tonight.

Thanks for sharing and I pray that your journey will continue to be a successful one!

Hugs,
    Kathy