Surgeon
    Dr Alavez
    Last Activity
    06-12-2014 08:47 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default Years???

Hi all. I'm wondering if there is anyone on here that's is post sleeve surgery for years? I had lapband and had lots of trouble never really lost much weight. I got really sick iron potossium levels. My hair fell out and got 6 ulcers in my stomach. I was always told there should be no absorbing problems but somehow u e
    Need up really sick. I had removed but really want to loose weight I talked to people who've just had the sleeve and no problems but I'm wondering about someone who has years behind them if any health problems occurred and if they have gained the weight back? Anyone that didn't loose? Not being negative but I fear I would be the ONE who wouldn't loose or get really sick. Can't wait to read all the post. Thanks for the help

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Brigitte
    Surgery date
    08/24/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Said "Thanks" 159 Times
    Was Thanked 400 Times in 330 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 140 Times

Default Re: Years???

There's not many of us that still post on the board after 1 year, let alone multiple years. The need for support diminishes the farther out you get, generally speaking.

I'm 1.5 years out.
    Nov. 15/17 - re-sleeve, hiatal hernia repair, gallbladder removal with Dr. A. Lopez from AloBariatrics in Puerto Vallarta

Gastric Sleeve Member secretblonde's Avatar
    Name
    Karin
    Surgery date
    03/14/2014
    Surgeon
    Almanza
    Last Activity
    05-10-2017 12:24 PM
    Said "Thanks" 23 Times
    Was Thanked 50 Times in 49 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,400 Times
    Blog Entries

Dr Almanza was sleeved 3 years ago.. he appears to be in PERFECT health... and quite the 6 pac (abs)..... there were 3 or 4 folks down in mexico, having lap bands removed, repaired, and having the sleeve done....

Surgery date
    04/22/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Elias Ortiz
    Last Activity
    02-20-2024 01:57 AM
    Said "Thanks" 206 Times
    Was Thanked 504 Times in 372 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 231 Times

Truffles, thank you for continuing to post. More people in your position should because it gives the new people hope when they see that long term weight loss can be maintained. Thank you! Along with your husband (he said you were Truffles), please don't stop.

"Lee, by "own it!" your daughter means that you should be proud of your accomplishment and understand that you deserve this. Not because you have to pay it forward or backward to justify your own benefits. She means that this is YOUR accomplishment, and accomplishing that for yourself is enough. You do not have to fix everybody. And you do not owe anyone for the benefits you have earned. They are YOURS!" Ann2

Name
    Danielle
    Surgery date
    05/22/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Murphy
    Last Activity
    06-06-2015 12:55 PM
    Said "Thanks" 66 Times
    Was Thanked 134 Times in 121 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 336 Times
    Blog Entries

Like Brigitte said we seem to be few & far between on here, i think part of that is we get out there living our lives again & dont think to jump on as often as we use to. I'll be 2 years out in May & am still loving my sleeve! I've maintained about the same weight for well over a year now & have no new health issues. After surgery my blood pressure, which was barely controlled w/meds pre-op, is now dead on & losing 100+ lbs has taken so much pressure off my joints & back - its amazing! I'll have my levels checked again in a couple months but they too have been right on the money. I take 2 gummy vitamins & 2 gummy calcium twice a day & a B12 every other day & haven't had any absorption issues at all. I did go through the hair loss, started around 2.5 months out & it lasted until 6-7 month post op. Its now just normal shedding but is definitely thinner than before, some of it has grown back but not as much as I'd have liked! For me the hair loss was tough, but it wouldn't stop me from doing it again had I known! There is a risk of ulcers just like there would be w/out this surgery but because of the size of our stomach's I hear it can be more miserable. They tell us to avoid Nsasids, aspirin & ibuprofen because of this risk but I have taken all of them at some point since surgery w/the drs OK because it was the only way to get pain relief but I'm VERY aware of the warning signs & will quit taking them immediately if those surface. I also take a daily med for heartburn that coats my stomach so that gives med a lower risk of ulcers.

All things considered I would absolutely make the decision to have this surgery again, aside from my husband & kids this is hands down the best decision I've ever made! I feel better, my self confidence is out of this world & I'm able to truly enjoy my life! Good luck wherever this journey takes you! Its not always easy, but for me it was 100% worth it!!

November 3, 2011 - First Visit to Bariatric Center 277 lbs
    May 1, 2012 - Start pre-op diet 251 lbs
    May 22, 2012 - Surgery weight 236 lbs
    May 22, 2013 - 1 year anniversary 160 lbs

The more you love your decisions, the less you need others to love them too

7. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgeon
    Dr Alavez
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times

Thanks Truffles. Do you have any problems with energy iron pit. I'm soooo afraid. I'll get sucker. Do you feel better? Or not so great? Do you know of anyone that has not lost ? Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Truffles View Post
    There's not many of us that still post on the board after 1 year, let alone multiple years. The need for support diminishes the farther out you get, generally speaking.

I'm 1.5 years out.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgeon
    Dr Alavez
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times

Thanks so much for writing me it really helps to hear from someone post surgery. I really didn't know about the hair loss. Why goesdo people loose their hair? I lost mine when I got really really suck a couple of years ago. Do you know of anyone that hasn't lost after having sleeve? I read about someone on here last night that was a month out and hadn't lost any? Thanks again for knowledge😄

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgeon
    Dr Alavez
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times

Really that's interesting to know. A dr that's had surgery. Do you know of anyone that hasn't lost with sleeve? I'm so afraid I'd be the one not to loose. Does everyone loose hair? Does it all fall out or just some? Thanks so my h for your help��

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgeon
    Dr Alavez
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times

Really that's interesting to know. A dr that's had surgery. Do you know of anyone that hasn't lost with sleeve? I'm so afraid I'd be the one not to loose. Does everyone loose hair? Does it all fall out or just some? Thanks so my h for your help

Gastric Sleeve Member Dawnrogers7's Avatar
    Name
    Dawnie
    Surgery date
    03/25/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr Almanza
    Last Activity
    10-19-2020 02:30 PM
    Said "Thanks" 42 Times
    Was Thanked 77 Times in 52 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 58 Times

dackn8tr-that was an AWESOME post!! Thanks so much for sharing. My surgery is 3/25 and I feel as prepared as possible, however, I can't help but be a little nervous. I know this is the start of a fantastic journey but it sure is reassuring to read a post like yours! Thanks again
    Starting weight from pre op. Weight on day of surgery 232.5

Gastric Sleeve Member Kathysangels's Avatar
    Name
    Kathy
    Surgery date
    02/11/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Brethauer
    Said "Thanks" 98 Times
    Was Thanked 88 Times in 66 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 364 Times

Thanks for sharing this information Danielle. It is nice to know that those who have lost so much are busy with life - which is how it should be. But I agree it is nice to hear from those who have gotten and KEPT the weight off.
    Good luck on your continuing journey.
    Hugs,
    Kathy

Name
    Brigitte
    Surgery date
    08/24/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Said "Thanks" 159 Times
    Was Thanked 400 Times in 330 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 140 Times

Hair loss is one of those things that is either going to happen or it doesn't. The best you can do is to keep your protein intake up PRIOR to surgery as that is when the body decides to have a spaz regarding protein.

In a nutshell, major trauma (ie. surgery) tells your body to preserve its most important areas, the internal organs. It diverts its efforts to healing those internal organs at the cost of hair and nails (and skin sometimes).

All the extra "hair" vitamins and shampoos will do nothing to prevent hair loss whilst you are in the middle of losing it. Biotin, et al. will help with the re-growth, though.

It's a crap shoot. However, if you do lose hair, you'll grow it back.
    Nov. 15/17 - re-sleeve, hiatal hernia repair, gallbladder removal with Dr. A. Lopez from AloBariatrics in Puerto Vallarta

Name
    Leann
    Surgery date
    04/10/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Emma Patterson
    Last Activity
    09-18-2016 03:32 PM
    Said "Thanks" 47 Times
    Was Thanked 154 Times in 143 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 323 Times

I'm just short of a year out and couldn't be happier with my sleeve. I had no pain after the surgery. I spent 1 night in the hospital, home by 11 the day after surgery and grocery shopping the next day. Now everyone isn't as lucky as I was. But.... in July I ended up getting gallstones and had to have my gallbladder removed. That was also done by my sleeve surgeon. Day surgery and was up with no pain or complication the next day.

The last year and my weight loss has not come without a lot of work. I'm constantly aware of what I should be eating - always focusing on protein first and liquids. I have fallen off the wagon a couple of times (holidays were tough for me, too many Christmas cookies), but it is easy to get back on the wagon. Focus on protein and liquids. I also have my special deals with myself. I allow myself pizza once a month. I can hold 1 piece. I don't always have it once a month, but I'm ok with it if I do.

Last but not least - this forum is wonderful. The people here are , always offering information and support. The immediate support that I find here works great for me, much better than meetings that only occur on set dates. There is always someone here to listen and advise.

Good luck to you.

Dec. 19, 2012 - 309 pounds
    April 10, 2013 - 266 pounds
    April 12, 2013 - 272 pounds (I gained 6 pounds after surgery but have been steadily losing since then)
    November 21, 2013 - 209 - 100 pounds lost!!!!!
    January 1, 2014 - 205 - down is down after the holidays
    January 30, 2014 - 199.4 - first time in the 100's in over 30 years!

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgeon
    Dr Alavez
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times

Dawnie ong you are almost there can't wait to hear how goes. I'm sure surgery will be fine can't wait to hear about loosing after. Good luck! What surgeon are you using? ��

Gastric Sleeve Member Dawnrogers7's Avatar
    Name
    Dawnie
    Surgery date
    03/25/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr Almanza
    Last Activity
    10-19-2020 02:30 PM
    Said "Thanks" 42 Times
    Was Thanked 77 Times in 52 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 58 Times

I am using Dr Almanza and I have heard only wonderful things about him. Can't believe I'm flying out day after tomorrow!
    Starting weight from pre op. Weight on day of surgery 232.5