01/19/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Soong
    Last Activity
    10-01-2015 05:47 PM
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 7 Times

Default Went to a Seminar today...............

I went to a seminar today with wanting to have the lapband done. Well now I am gearing towards the sleeve. Just a couple questions I have since I been home......

1. I was reading on the Consumer Guide of Bariatric Surgery that the "Sleeve" is a two part surgery. That approximately 6 months to a year after surgery, you doctor will suggest to do a Gastric Bypass. Does anyone out there know anything about this?

2. What has been the recovery time to go back to work for some of you who have already been "Sleeved"?

3. Seminar was in Las Vegas with Dr. Atkinson, any feedback on him and his staff?

Deana

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    08/01/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr Barry Greene
    Last Activity
    03-22-2013 05:15 PM
    Said "Thanks" 9 Times
    Was Thanked 9 Times in 9 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 95 Times

Default Re: Went to a Seminar today...............

Hi, welcome.
    The sleeve started out at the first of a 2 step WLS process but doctors saw that many patients were so successful losing weight with the sleeve that they didn't need to go on to the second step, bypass. I think almost everyone on this form looks at the sleeve as their solution for losing and keeping off the weight, I know I do.

For what I've seen, most folks go back to work about 1 to 2 weeks after surgery unless they have a physical job that requires lifting. It make take 4 to 6 weeks recovery to lift more than 20 lbs. I sure others will chime in with their knowledge. I was sleeved last Monday and will work part-time from home next week and go back to the office the following Monday.

Good luck!

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    08/03/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr Scott Stowers
    Last Activity
    04-15-2012 04:37 PM
    Said "Thanks" 27 Times
    Was Thanked 73 Times in 68 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 35 Times

Hi, Deana! Welcome! I was in your exact shoes 6 months ago. A friend and I went to a presentation intending to start the process for lap band, and by the time we left we were both convinced we wanted sleeves instead. And last Wednesday, we both did it! I am so glad that's what I chose, because of the many many people I know who got lap band, only one has been really and truly successful at losing the amount she wanted to lose. I know of two people who eventually were bigger than they started out after lap band. Not that I'm knocking lap band, because for many people it seems to be the surgery of choice.

I was told by my surgeon's office that if I had the surgery on a Friday I'd be good to go back to work on Monday (I'm a teacher). I'm so glad now that I did this in the summer, because there's just no way. I still have sharp pains in one incision, and I still use my little pillow to get up and down quite a bit. But I've had startlingly good results in lowering my blood sugar, and I know I made the right choice for me.

Best of luck to you!

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Last Activity
    10-22-2012 11:27 PM
    Said "Thanks" 9 Times
    Was Thanked 68 Times in 52 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 317 Times
    Blog Entries

I went into this process knowing several women who had successful bypasses and have kept their weight off. I also knew two women who gained their weight back. I went in looking for more info on the lap band but when the sleeve was explained, I went home and did my research, joined forums such as this, asked a zillion questions and came to the conclusion that this is what will work best for me. Lap bands slip and it's weight loss is not as effective, plus you have lots of ongoing doctor appts for forever. I didn't like the bypass because the malabsorption issue was huge with me. I am pretty healthy, overall, and have a great immune system and rarely get sick so the thought of doing the bypass and not being able to continue to have premium nutrition really bothered me. The sleeve allows for the body to continue to absorb the nutrients from the food we eat and I have read that it is a fully functioning stomach, just severally reduced in its holding capacity. My problem is food volume....I can out eat alot of men......so I was looking for something that would allow me to continue to eat healthy but in smaller doses and the sleeve fits all that I was looking for. NOW, having said that, I do have concerns about the hormones and other attributes of the rest of the stomach that is removed. The Ghrelin is in our body for some purpose and I am somewhat concerned as to the long term affects of this loss of Ghrelin, particularly as I age....(I'm 58) so I am continuing to read about this hormone. I just like doing my homework and because this is MAJOR body altering, I want to be sure before going forward. I know of a 21 yr old girl who just had this and she is doing nicely but I keep thinking that, man she has her whole life ahead of her and will she have long term problems........but anyway, you have to read and make an informed choice regarding this because, well, this is not something to do lightly. Good luck on your decision!!!

6. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Kristina Lynn Edmonds's Avatar
    Name
    Kristina
    Surgery date
    10/18/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Carlos Godinez
    Last Activity
    09-04-2011 03:14 PM
    Said "Thanks" 19 Times
    Was Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 41 Times

That is exactly what I did!

8. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Name
    Susan Y
    Surgery date
    04/12/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Robert Zane
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times
    Was Thanked 69 Times in 51 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 25 Times
    Blog Entries

You either get the sleeve or the gastric bypass. I have never heard of anyone getting a gastric bypass after a sleeve.

Name
    Brian
    Surgery date
    08/04/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr Stephen Hamn
    Said "Thanks" 7 Times
    Was Thanked 23 Times in 15 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 18 Times

The Gastric Sleeve was originally designed to help extremely obese people (50 BMI +) lose enough weight for a safe Gastric Bypass Surgery. What ultimately happened was people were so successful on the sleeve that many never got the bypass. In fact, the only way my insurance would pay for a sleeve was if I was over 50 BMI (37, sorry) and only if it was to be followed with a gastric bypass.

"The opposite of win is LOSE- The opposite of tight is LOOSE! When you LOSE weight, your clothes will be LOOSE!"