Surgeon
    Dr. Fearing
    Last Activity
    02-09-2016 10:14 AM
    Said "Thanks" 4 Times
    Was Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 280 Times

Default How to decide if the sleeve is my choice

I have gone to two seminars and I feel more confused than anything. The last one was conducted by a coordinator and she spent 5 minutes covering the sleeve. She stressed that this is the one that will cause the most leaks. Although she spent 40 minutes talking about lapband and and it seemed to be her favorite. The other seminar was conducted by the surgeon and he seemed to prefer the sleeve. He won't even do the lap and anymore because it has pretty much been a failure. I won't do lapband but am wondering if gastric bypass is a better surgery than sleeve. Confused!

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member barrbdoll's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Emily
    Surgery date
    04/16/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ariel Ortiz
    Last Activity
    07-24-2017 06:31 AM
    Said "Thanks" 109 Times
    Was Thanked 132 Times in 114 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 14 Times

Default Re: How to decide if the sleeve is my choice

I would never ever recommend that anyone have bypass surgery..... I know so many people that have gone that route and I would have to say that 80% of them have gained all of their weight back and then some! Also, the vitamin malnourishment from bypassing the intestines is nothing to mess with. The sleeve just gives you a smaller stomach.. There is no blocking of nourishment, no dumping syndrome, nada.... I will be 2 years post op this April and having my sleeve surgery was the absolute best decision I have ever made and I researched procedures for 8 years before making my decision. I am soooooo happy that I waited for the sleeve. It's amazing the comments that I get from folks... they are always saying... "Emily.. you look so healthy"....your skin, color, etc... everyone that I have met that has had bypass has this "look" about them... Their color is off or the skin on the face is sunken in a bit.. Just off in my eyes...

To me there is absolutely no question as to which the best procedure is... Do your research... someone who spends 5 mins talking about the sleeve obviously doesn't have enough experience.. I would find another seminar asap to ask your questions. Also, find other sleeve patients that you can talk to.. This forum is a great place to meet others in the same boat as you....

All the best!!

4. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Elevendawgs's Avatar
    Name
    Cary Sheffield
    Surgery date
    12/11/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Paul Macik
    Said "Thanks" 47 Times
    Was Thanked 6 Times in 4 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 48 Times

I chose the sleeve because all the potential complications are within the first month of the surgery. Once you are healed, you are just like everybody else except you can't eat as much. There are no malabsorption issues. The lap-band has way to many complications. The bypass has complications that can crop up two years after surgery. Both of those options scared me. the sleeve just felt right for me. Overall, it is a very personal decision. Do your research and decide what is right for you.

6. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    12/17/2013
    Last Activity
    07-11-2015 10:06 AM
    Said "Thanks" 7 Times
    Was Thanked 36 Times in 34 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 83 Times
    Blog Entries

Keep looking for different advice! That woman sounds crazy if she prefers lapband. The sleeve is awesome for all the reasons mentioned above and more but YOU need to be comfortable with it.
    Good luck.

Gastric Sleeve Member girliegirl777's Avatar
    Name
    Erika
    Surgery date
    09/25/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Nguyen
    Last Activity
    09-28-2014 11:15 PM
    Said "Thanks" 61 Times
    Was Thanked 136 Times in 127 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 150 Times
    Blog Entries

I completely agree with Emily on her assessment of sleeve vs. bypass. I think the lap band is becoming very passe except for at medical centers where they specialize in lap band only for a low fee. I would recommend you avoid those places.

If you are still in a decision mode, peruse this board for a while and you will learn a ton about the sleeve. You are at the same weight I was less than 4 months ago and I think the bypass would be overkill for the amount of weight you need or want to lose.

9. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Surgery date
    03/03/2014
    Surgeon
    Derek Weiss
    Last Activity
    05-14-2014 08:26 PM
    Said "Thanks" 4 Times
    Was Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3 Times
    Blog Entries

I picked the sleeve because of all the issues with bypass. Dumping, malnutrition, weight gain, life long supplements, starching of the pouch, needing a revision... All of those things are NOT an issue with the sleeve. A cousin of mine had bypass. She was about 325. She lost down to about 175 then gained it all right back. She ended up 400+ lbs. She passed Easter of last year at 35 yes old due to heart complications. I'd suggest calling your insurance company and speaking to their nurse. She may be able to answer your questions and point you in the right direction. If you are close to KY call Georgetown Hospital. That's where I'm going and they are very knowledgable. Good luck and I hope you find what's right for you.

Surgery date
    03/23/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Fearing
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 4 Times

I didn't think gastric would be good at my weight either. This hospital is the only place I can find locally that will accept my insurance. They are known for excellent doctors and not so great bariatric support staff. I love this hospital myself. The seminar lasted 3 grueling hours and I think the surgeon should have spoken about the surgeries at least. I have been reading daily on this forum for over a month and have learned everything and way more from it. I really think the sleeve is what I am comfortable with.

Surgery date
    03/23/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Fearing
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 4 Times

I told her about this forum and she said don't believe everything you read online. She said people get paid to say things. I say "Whatever". I have learned so much about eating and how to take care of yourself on this forum. She worries me some but then, I am not instantly trusting of people. The doctor is the one I need to trust so i am looking forward to meeting him!

Surgery date
    02/07/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr.Kim Celebration,Fl. 2/7
    Last Activity
    05-11-2016 10:36 AM
    Said "Thanks" 57 Times
    Was Thanked 275 Times in 247 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 435 Times

Well .. Never got paid to write anything on her .. Found this site at the same point in making my decision as you did . Followed it about a month while still very confused on what I was going to do.
    I found a wonderful hospital . With a great Bariatric program and staff.
    Went to my first group meeting .. The doctor did over views on each WLS option .
    He still does the sleeve if it is the only surgery a person will consider . He did say it is not his choice and explained how it can be high maintaince . His choice of the three is the bypass so it seemed he focused on that more . He prefers to do that surgery on his diabetics .. So I thought my choice was made but there was just so many things I did not like .
    The first being absorbtion issues .. Possibility of
    Having iron and B12 shots the rest of my life ..
    Dumping ... He really did not say a whole lot about the sleeve
    So I started researching it on my own . The more I did read the more I felt this was the best option for
    for me .. I like that my stomach will work the same ..
    and better absorbtion of vitamins .
    I made an appointment to sit and talk to my doctor before surgery
    Told him I was leaning toward the sleeve . He did say his first choice for me
    As a diabetic was the bypass but he would be comfortable doing the sleeve. ..
    He had he has done over 500 and had 2 leaks .. One was at 7 day and one at 10days .. The 7 day one was not really following
    Post op limitation of lifting . He had no reason for the second . I was glad that he was honest with me . I am now a week post op and I still have an RN that will call and email to see how I am doing .
    The choice is yours do your research and ask to sit with your doctor to talk about your choice .Good luck in which ever you choose.
    01/2013 information group 225. ,ht 5' 5". BMI. 37.5 ,01/30 /2014. Start pre op diet 218 lbs 2/7 .. Surgery. ..214. ..2/14...204. 03/1..206 ??.. March 6 (4 week check up 202lb. March. 8.. First goal . 199.4. BMI. 33.1. April1. .192.5. May 7. 188.6
    Jun 1. 178. BMI. 29.2. .reached a Goal.. No longer obese!!!? 7-01. ..174 , 08/1,..1965.. 08/7......14 months. 149...a normal BMI ...

Surgery date
    03/03/2014
    Surgeon
    Derek Weiss
    Last Activity
    05-14-2014 08:26 PM
    Said "Thanks" 4 Times
    Was Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3 Times
    Blog Entries

Lol Totally not getting paid! I found this when I was looking for answers to dietary questions pre op & post op. Lol

Gastric Sleeve Member sociologist's Avatar
    Name
    Margaret
    Surgery date
    11/18/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr Borland
    Last Activity
    03-01-2020 07:27 PM
    Said "Thanks" 21 Times
    Was Thanked 263 Times in 255 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 170 Times

I thought about my options for two years. I was a self pay and wanted to make sure I wasnt throwing away my money. My ex sister in law had lapband yrs ago and lost 75 pounds and has kept it off....of course shes had two additional surgeries, each for the band eroding into her stomach and she pretty much gets her calories from smoothies, etc. I never considered gastric bypass because of the malabsorption issues but do have a friend that had it and it was highly successful for her. Of course her skin doesnt have a normal pallor, she looks kind of pastey and run down. Two of my coworkers had the sleeve, one male, one female. Both have been successful and I was able to go in depth with them about the good, bad, and ugly about the surgery.

For me, the sleeve was an easy choice. I am a few days shy of 3 months out and am down 45 pounds...halfway to my goal! I could never have done that on my own. In the past, I would lose and gain the same weight and it always brought friends! I dieted myself up to 219#. I am 57 and 5 feet tall. We are helping our son raise his wonderful 4 yr old and I need energy to keep up with him!

In the end, you have to go with your gut and make the best decision for you. What works for one person may not work for someone else. Read, read, read about the surgery. Go in armed with questions to the surgeon. Do not let someone talk you into anything you do not truly want. Best of luck with your decision.

I was not paid for this message:-)
    Margaret
    1 month: 25 lost (194-10 day stall)
    3 months: 9 lost (173-halfway to goal!)
    5 months: 7 lost (161-1week stall)
    7 months: 4 lost (152-4 week stall)
    9 months: 1 lost (145-1 month stall)
    10 months: 0 lost (145-2month stall
    14 months: 0 lost (145-7 month stall)

My goal: 145...originally 129 but my body said no!

Gastric Sleeve Member barrbdoll's Avatar
    Name
    Emily
    Surgery date
    04/16/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ariel Ortiz
    Last Activity
    07-24-2017 06:31 AM
    Said "Thanks" 109 Times
    Was Thanked 132 Times in 114 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 14 Times

LOL about the paid comment!! I would be RICH if that were the case.....

Name
    Heather
    Surgery date
    10/14/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr.Selim
    Last Activity
    06-08-2016 01:58 PM
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times
    Was Thanked 272 Times in 222 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 97 Times
    Blog Entries

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE my sleeve! Yes, the risks of leak with the sleeve are slightly higher as the staple line is longer, but I didn't want the malabsorption issues caused by the bypass, or to leave my "other stomach" hanging there producing hunger hormones. There are other risks with the bypass as well that made it a wash as far as risk goes in my mind. The band was not even in my picture. Too many failures, prolapses, removals, revisions to sleeve (yes, I personally know one of each), and a foreign thing in my body that I have to manage for the rest of my life... No. If possible, attend a different sleeve info session with a different surgeon\clinic\hospital. You can't get educated enough no matter which procedure you choose if any. Good luck!

Don't worry about hurting my feelings because I guarantee you not one bit of my self esteem is tied up in your acceptance.

18. Said thanks:

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

I couldn't imagine doing the lap-band, besides it not working for so many people, you have some foreign item under you skin permanently. Yuck. Plus you have to go in for adjustments, and the price of that would add up. I chose the sleeve because once it's done, it's done. Love it! My doctor didn't recommend bypass as I had less than 100 to lose.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    12/12/2013
    Said "Thanks" 20 Times
    Was Thanked 37 Times in 36 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 56 Times

Only you can decide. My doctor is fabulous, fabulous. He said that the bypass is most risky as far as leaks. I've heard many stories of failures due to the lap band. No surgery is perfect and all come with risks. I am thrilled with my sleeve. It's truly a blessing. Best gift I've ever given to myself. Had I had less to lose? I probably would have chosen the lap band.... But who knows. Interview all the doctors you can. Try to stick with "A center for Excellence". Best wishes