02/07/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Sebesta
    Last Activity
    03-23-2014 04:19 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times

Default Shapewear, Your post op MUST Haves, No pre surgery liquid diet??

Hi all,

I have a few questions. My surgery is 11 days away and I am trying to purchase my needs now before I get in a panic and have to rush. I have known some people have opted to wear a shapewear top to help with the pain.

Does anyone recommend a specific shapewear top? Is it worth it to wear one? I am thinking of my pain more than how I look.

What were your must haves after surgery? I have already ordered a few sample packs of protein shakes and liquids. I am planning on buying some more protein shakes but I know I should be stocking up on others as well. What would you say you couldn't live without?

My surgeon told me that he did not do a pre op diet because he said that he didn't see big differences in people who had and had not done the liquid diet. Has anyone elses DR said the same thing? I trust him but I have researched this for a very long time and I thought you always had a liquid preop diet.

Thank you all for the info. I have a toddler and I am trying to set myself up now so when my husband goes back off of leave I am not in a bind.

2. Said thanks:

3. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Dana
    Surgery date
    01/20/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Said "Thanks" 11 Times
    Was Thanked 21 Times in 20 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3 Times

Default Re: Shapewear, Your post op MUST Haves, No pre surgery liquid diet??

My understanding of the pre op liquid diet was to shrink the liver, because fatty livers (which many of us have to varying degrees) are a problem during surgery- as far as getting in the way. I was told to do a 3 day clear liquid diet, others were longer.

Name
    Diane
    Surgery date
    01/13/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Patricia Choban
    Last Activity
    02-19-2020 02:04 PM
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times
    Was Thanked 43 Times in 40 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 95 Times

My surgeon only has you do the day before clear liquids. No other special pre-op diet. It worked fine for me. (They did tell me after surgery that my liver looked great)

As far as shapewear, I didn't buy any and my surgeon orders a special binder to wear immediately after surgery until the first pre-op appt. I think it helped right after surgery, but I was REALLY glad to get it off at my pre-op visit!!!

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Be happy you don't have to do the pre-op diet! Every doctor is different.

I have never heard of wearing shapewear after surgery. I was happy in my loose clothes, but once again, every doctor is different.

7. Said thanks:

Name
    Omayra
    Surgery date
    12/09/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Judd
    Last Activity
    11-11-2014 04:37 PM
    Said "Thanks" 35 Times
    Was Thanked 15 Times in 15 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 170 Times
    Blog Entries

I love my eas advantage carb control ready made shakes. These are my go to when running out the door. As for shape wear right after surgery? No. I did wear a slim belt. Kept my tummy wrapped and was in less pain, because it is adjustable I still wear it for working out now.

9. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member LivelyTerry's Avatar
    Name
    Terry
    Surgery date
    01/13/2014
    Surgeon
    Guillermo Alvarez
    Last Activity
    06-15-2014 08:42 AM
    Said "Thanks" 4 Times
    Was Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3 Times

I had to do a one week liquid diet. It depends on the surgeon and your BMI. Higher BMI's usually have to do longer pre-op diets.

I can't imagine wearing shape wear after surgery. Heck no….I liked my loose clothing, and it's what my doc recommends.

Gastric Sleeve Member christine53's Avatar
    Surgery date
    03/15/2013
    Surgeon
    Alejandro Lopez
    Last Activity
    03-01-2015 10:24 PM
    Said "Thanks" 84 Times
    Was Thanked 229 Times in 213 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 162 Times
    Blog Entries

Shape wear, omg. I didn't want anything touching me. And as far as diet went I had to do a 2 week liquid diet but ate chicken and vegs for dinner.

Gastric Sleeve Member lornadoone629's Avatar
    Name
    Lorna
    Surgery date
    08/05/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Jon Bruce
    Last Activity
    02-02-2015 12:56 PM
    Said "Thanks" 64 Times
    Was Thanked 102 Times in 84 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 77 Times
    Blog Entries

sheesh...I had a 4 week pre-op diet with 2 protein shakes a day and one lean protein meal (and a couple of veggies from a specific list), then 1 full week of 5 protein shakes a day and 1 day of clear liquids. I lived through it. lol

Shape wear? I didn't use anything either. I do, however, now wear a "shaping" camisole under my shirts. It just makes me feel a little firmer since I've lost some of my top roll, but it's a little more jiggly. I actually picked up a white, black and nude color ones from Ross for $4.99 each.

Protein drinks and buying for afterwards. I wouldn't go out and spend a lot of money right now since your taste will probably change after surgery. I couldn't drink much of my protein drinks after surgery...too sweet and any liquid or supplemental protein made me sick to my stomach. Then they were too sweet to drink when I got over that. I wasted a lot of money 'getting prepared". You'll be driving within a week or so, if not sooner, so you can go and get what you need when you graduate from clear liquids after surgery. good luck!!!!

Gastric Sleeve Member princessdi's Avatar
    Name
    Diane
    Surgery date
    03/14/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Way Lee
    Last Activity
    01-15-2018 11:35 AM
    Said "Thanks" 311 Times
    Was Thanked 54 Times in 47 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Abdominal surgery isnt fun! I heard about shapewear but truth is that stuff is toooo tight! You will be more comfortable carrying a small pillow with you. Esp on the ride home, or when you sneeze and cough! Hold it against your belly at those times and it lesses the lain in great amounts!

Name
    Heather
    Surgery date
    10/14/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr.Selim
    Last Activity
    06-08-2016 01:58 PM
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times
    Was Thanked 272 Times in 222 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 97 Times
    Blog Entries

Shapewear for pain management? I could not have tolerated anything tight over my incisions for the first month and didn't need it as the incision pain was minimal anyway. Today, now that my skin is getting all "loose" I wear shapewear every day. I don't like the "wear your own bra" ones. They pinch near my underarms. Post-op, I preferred non milk based protein drinks. Syntrax Nextar makes several. Just easier to get down for me.

Don't worry about hurting my feelings because I guarantee you not one bit of my self esteem is tied up in your acceptance.

Gastric Sleeve Member barrbdoll's Avatar
    Name
    Emily
    Surgery date
    04/16/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ariel Ortiz
    Last Activity
    07-24-2017 06:31 AM
    Said "Thanks" 109 Times
    Was Thanked 132 Times in 114 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 14 Times

I took my Spanx with me to Mexico and was soooo glad that I did! They feel like a 2nd skin to me and gave me some added support! If your experience with shape wear is that it's too tight more than likely you are buying the wrong size. Just my opinion.....

As far as pre-op diet.... all surgeons are different.. Personally, I had started my pre-diet early, about a month before surgery. The surgery was going to be a shock to my body so if I could ease that shock by starting my diet early than so be it.. Was smooth sailing for me.... At almost 2 years post-op, it still is..

Best of Luck!

Name
    Roy
    Surgery date
    04/29/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Chae
    Last Activity
    09-11-2016 04:46 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 45 Times in 39 Posts

My doctor did not have me do a pre-op diet other than liquids the day before, I think it is more common than you realize because people don't have to struggle with it. No one is going to post, "I'm on day 3 of my normal diet and having a tough time."

Other than the protein drinks stock up on some clear soups. Or if you enjoy cooking make your own chicken and beef stock and freeze it. That is the far superior option.

Name
    Laura
    Surgery date
    08/21/2013
    Surgeon
    Hawasali
    Last Activity
    10-13-2014 07:31 AM
    Michigan by way of England, Mumbai, Cairo and Boston
    Said "Thanks" 25 Times
    Was Thanked 440 Times in 415 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 829 Times

My doctor gave me a compression garment which helped the first few days post of with the incision site pain. I would have warn it longer except it started to be too loose lol.

Gastric Sleeve Member JustWantToBeHealthyAgain's Avatar
    Name
    Katherine
    Surgery date
    12/16/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. DiBenedetto
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times
    Was Thanked 143 Times in 133 Posts

I had 5 days of a liquid diet. Every doctor is different. Mine just does it for all his patients so that their liver will shrink and make surgery easier.

I didn't wear shapewear afterward and probably never will. I squeezed a large pillow when I felt pain and that help. I didn't have incision pain that much. It was more gas pain and pressure pain. I also had wicked heartburn immediately post op but that's gone now.

Get your protein shakes and ask your surgeon about getting something like omeprazole for heartburn. Gas X helps some. Get a large insulated bottle to carry around for your liquids.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    11/04/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Carlin
    Last Activity
    08-09-2015 01:53 PM
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times
    Was Thanked 68 Times in 64 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 405 Times
    Blog Entries

Didn't have any type of shapewear or banding or dressing either. Just wanted comfy sweats and no bra! Good for you to not have to do the pre op liquid! It might shrink the liver, but really doesn't prepare you for life post op! You may or may not tolerate the protein shakes, so don't stock up too much. Sugar free jello and popsicles are good to have on hand. Some type of broth (you can strain chicken noodle soup and feed the noodles to your little one). Check the stages of your diet, once you're cleared for "full liquids" you can have skim milk (a little carnation instant breakfast adds a bit more protein and tastes good) and creamed soups (I used campbells cream of chicken, made with milk, don't eat the chunks the first few days) Sugar Free pudding and greek yogurt (no chunks) will be added pretty quickly. You'll probably be able to have cream of wheat or cream of rice cereal the first week, made very thin with milk. You'll be amazed, one can of soup will last you 2 or 3 days, so you don't really need to stock up much. If you end up lactose intolerant, it could be more difficult. Good luck!