Surgeon
    Carlos Ferarri
    Last Activity
    05-27-2015 09:16 PM
    Said "Thanks" 31 Times
    Was Thanked 11 Times in 11 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3 Times

Question Making to feel that I'm taking the easy way out

Yes I do feel that I havent' tried hard enough to lose weight and yes I may have told the doctor that i tried harder to lose on my own then I actually did. But does that make me not qualified to get the sleeve? I mean my bmi is 40.4...I need this tool to help me because mentally I have no control anymore. Does this make me eligible to get the sleeve.

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member ScouterJim's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Jim
    Surgery date
    01/02/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Neal Church
    Last Activity
    05-20-2015 02:10 PM
    Said "Thanks" 35 Times
    Was Thanked 81 Times in 72 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 314 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Making to feel that I'm taking the easy way out

I'm not a doctor but it sounds to me like you are as viable of a candidate as there is. Let's be honest, if any of us found losing weight to be simple we wouldn't be here. I tried to lose weight but continued to gain. Could I have tried harder? YES! Does that mean that I shouldn't have had the surgery? NO! If most of us are totally honest we have our own personal issues that get in the way of succeeding at losing weight. I was a closet snacker. A large bag of chips was nothing for me to consume. Neither was a 2 lb. bag of jelly beans. The reason I chose to have the surgery is because I am not able to control myself with plain willpower. Having an additional tool to help me keep on track is the only way I could possibly succeed.

Try to remember that you are human and not a machine. Don't beat yourself up for not trying hard enough. I am willing to bet that you tried as hard as you were able to and now you are courageous enough to step back and say "I need the surgery to help me with this." The easy thing to do would be to sit back and say that you can't do it. Be proud for taking all the steps you need to in order to succeed at getting your health back.

4. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member ellymae71281's Avatar
    Name
    Elly
    Surgery date
    12/31/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Jeffery Baker
    Last Activity
    11-22-2014 10:09 AM
    Said "Thanks" 13 Times
    Was Thanked 29 Times in 27 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 12 Times
    Blog Entries

Honey, this is FAR from the "easy" way out. I am 8 days out from surgery and I miss eating food so bad it is unreal!!! Tonight, my family had spaghetti while I drank my muscle milk (yuck)...and right now, if I could go backwards nine days and NOT do the surgery, I would. Will I feel that way in a year? I don't know...but I miss food, I miss eating, and I am so sick and tired of muscle milk I could puke. THIS IS NOT THE EASY WAY OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You have to decide if you are prepared for this surgery but don't sell yourself (or how difficult this surgery is) and call this the easy way out. Maybe you could do more, maybe you could try harder...but this surgery is going to be the hardest thing you will ever do.

Surgery date
    12/17/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ricardo Bonnor
    Last Activity
    11-07-2015 08:29 PM
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 17 Times in 15 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 72 Times

This is not easy at all. Oh, btw, we have the same surgeon and live in the same town!

Gastric Sleeve Member Jerzygirl's Avatar
    Surgery date
    12/02/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. O
    Said "Thanks" 20 Times
    Was Thanked 41 Times in 40 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,500 Times

Easy Way Out. ummm.. No Way.

8. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Name
    Joanne
    Surgery date
    08/05/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Zeni
    Last Activity
    12-01-2015 08:42 PM
    Said "Thanks" 7 Times
    Was Thanked 42 Times in 41 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 51 Times
    Blog Entries

You have to be happy with your decision. I would say to do some research on what to expect before and after surgery, then decide if this is the easy way out. Most doctors have a pre-op diet that is 1-14 days on a liquid diet and a few days with restricted calories. After surgery is 1-2 weeks liquid diet, at least 1 week pureed, and at least 1 week soft foods before introducing regular food slowly.

I was at a 40.3 BMI when I started this process. I had a consultation with my surgeon at the beginning of June, insurance approval at the end of June, and surgery in August. When my PCP brought up surgery in January, I felt that it was the easy way out and said no way. After researching, I had a consultation with a surgeon I did not like in April then discussed the process with my nutritionist before setting up the second consultation in June.

There are lots of appointments, insurance requirements, and hoops to be jumped through before surgery is approved, unless you are self-pay. The process seems easy at times, but there is a TON that goes into losing the weight.

I am not trying to sound like I know what everyone has gone through, I'm just saying that if you think this is the easy way out you need to do more research.
    Joanne