Surgery date
    01/06/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr Almanza
    Said "Thanks" 23 Times
    Was Thanked 57 Times in 45 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times

Default Almost 2 years out

In a couple of weeks it will have been two years since I went to Dr. Almanza to change my life. Since then I have gone from 216 lbs. down to a low of 137 lbs, and now am resting at 144 lbs. I was busting out of my size 14's, and now am comfortably in a size 6. Everything in my life has improved- my confidence is up, I have more self-esteem than I have ever had, and as a result I am not allowing people to walk on me as much as I had. I don't feel self-conscious in public anymore, and don't have the painful experiences with overhearing people calling me fat behind my back, seeing looks of disappointment on a blind date's face, etc. (both of these things happened to me a LOT before the surgery).

Anyone who wonders what it looks like after two years, let me tell you: it looks wonderful. My scars are so faded that if you didn't know they were there you probably wouldn't notice. I feel normal, and can eat just about anything (though dairy is still hit or miss- mostly miss if something has fat in conjunction with dairy such as cream). I still stay away from carbonation out of fear of stretching the sleeve, and high-sugar items that sometimes make me feel gross. I stick to a pretty healthy diet, but every once in a while have a small treat of some kind (like a fun-size candy).

The sleeve is amazing- it is a life-changer for sure. If there is even one person reading this who is on the fence, GO FOR IT! Your only regret will be not doing it SOONER!!

Also, undecided people out there: if you go forward, please carefully consider who you tell about it. There is still a lot of stigma around it as being the "easy way out" and this forum is full of horror stories of sleevers telling someone and later wishing they hadn't. Food for thought!

Good luck to all my fellow (and future) sleevers

2. Said thanks:

3. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member FadeToBlack's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Anthony
    Surgery date
    12/04/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Amit Trivedi
    Last Activity
    11-17-2014 06:08 PM
    Said "Thanks" 18 Times
    Was Thanked 32 Times in 28 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 12 Times

Default Re: Almost 2 years out

Congratulations on your tremendous success! I have some questions that maybe you'll be able to help me with....
    1) How do you handle going out to eat? I do a lot of business lunches/dinners and am terrified that if I eat like a parakeet I'll look like a weirdo!
    2) Have you had any issues with loose skin? If so, were you able to tone up with weight training or possibly a more drastic route? surgery?
    Thanks again!

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    11/19/2013
    Surgeon
    Mr Jon Armstrong
    Last Activity
    04-20-2015 12:54 AM
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 110 Times
    Blog Entries

Congratulations to you. I'm only fairly new to the group, had my surgery 4 weeks ago. I am happier than I have been for a long time - the weight is coming off and I am inspired to move more.
    My loss was rapid for a few weeks but has slowed some, however I am noticing changes with my measurements, instead of on the scales. Just hope that I can be like yourself.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    08/06/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Marsden
    Last Activity
    09-07-2016 05:25 AM
    Said "Thanks" 77 Times
    Was Thanked 69 Times in 66 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 69 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by FadeToBlack View Post
    Congratulations on your tremendous success! I have some questions that maybe you'll be able to help me with....
    1) How do you handle going out to eat? I do a lot of business lunches/dinners and am terrified that if I eat like a parakeet I'll look like a weirdo!
    2) Have you had any issues with loose skin? If so, were you able to tone up with weight training or possibly a more drastic route? surgery?
    Thanks again!
    I worried quite a bit about business lunches and dinners. If you only eat about 1/2 cup of a large salad and just tell people you are watching your weight, it looks like your being ridiculous about it, and wasteful besides. I had to take a week long business trip recently with two women who I had just met, and I broke down and told them at our first meal together. I guess I lucked out, because they were both wonderful and supportive about it. I appeased the "wasteful situation" by taking left overs back to the hotel in a doggie bag, sometimes I ate a few more bites later, sometimes I just dumped it. I hope it works out well for you!

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    01/06/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr Almanza
    Said "Thanks" 23 Times
    Was Thanked 57 Times in 45 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times

I usually go out to eat with my boyfriend, who knows that I had the procedure. Luckily he is a naturally light eater, so I don't look weird next to him. A couple of tricks I have though: stay away from bread and pasta of course- too filling. I like broth soups, salads, or crab legs. All of those make it hard to tell how much you have (or haven't) eaten. Crab legs are awesome for a nice dinner since they take forever to open and eat, and create a lot of discard with the shells. Trick is to think about what won't be obvious (a big steak would be pretty obvious). Also, once you get further out you will be able to eat a more normal-looking amount. It won't be as much as non-sleevers, but it will be less conspicuous!

I do have loose skin on my stomach for sure- its not pretty if I lean over. Yikes! I know that I won't be able to get rid of it without taking measures. I don't want to consider a tummy tuck since I don't want the scar. There are lasers out now that can tighten skin, and I have seen some great before-and-afters. I don't have the money right now for that, but maybe in the future

8. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents