George Hopkins
    Last Activity
    11-23-2013 08:07 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Question Booked for Gastric Sleeve Surgery 11/12/13

Hi Everyone,
    I have come to the decision that I need to take action!
    I'm just going through what I feel is normal fear before surgery, given all the problems that obesity brings with it, but I also know that doing nothing is not an option.

I have spoken with my surgeon, who tells me that I won't miss the food I love (mostly healthy, and I don't love sweets) so I guess that's a big bonus! I do however, love good savoury food and wine!
    I'm told that over time, these things can be incorporated back into my diet with restraint, and I'm happy with that, maybe 1 to 2 years?

I'm also concerned about the excess skin as I need to lose about 60kgs.
    Any comments/insights would be greatly appreciated from those who have been there and done that.
    Many Thanks,
    Kazzy

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member specialkai's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    12/09/2013
    Surgeon
    aceves
    Last Activity
    11-14-2014 02:22 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2 Times

Default Re: Booked for Gastric Sleeve Surgery 11/12/13

I am getting a sleeve in a few weeks so I can't speak from experience with that. But I can tell you my dad has had a lap band for about 6 years, which is supposed to be more restrictive, and he absolutely loves it. I will say maybe you should not follow his example - he literally eats whatever he wants. He doesn't follow rules about protein first - we go out to eat and he usually eats fries first, and is so full he takes the main course home for another meal. He drinks while he eats - another no-no. But he has maintained his weight loss pretty effortlessly (though he only had to lose about 40 pounds, same as me). My main concern is the high complication rate with bands and if he ever has to give it up, he has not learned new habits about eating. But this is his journey, not mine.