Gastric Sleeve Member
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Last Activity
    10-31-2013 02:29 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Question Feeling very scared... HELP!

I had gastric sleeve surgery on the 8th in Texas, I live in Missouri. I feel upon returning home I have no educational tools on what to eat etc. While in the hospital the nurses kept giving me a blood thinner, which I had never taken ( I have no meds & rarely get sick) they kept giving it to me twice a day even tho I kept saying I believe that script is for once a day that their Dr called in. on our final day, we asked for pain medication since I would be taking an 8 hour trip back to Missouri the nurse told me if they did give me medicine they would have to keep me an extra 2 hours so I said well since we are done with everything I will just take the pain medicine I brought with me, which their Dr prescribed when you give it back to me. About 5 minutes after, still no pain meds, the same nurse was looking at my wonds etc and pulls my long drainage tube out of my stomach with no pain medication, OUCH! My husband asked her what do we do with that large hole in her stomach from the tube, she said it will close. Next we asked how long before I could take a shower she said I wouldn't rush it. Everything we asked was responded to with vain answers. I am very thankful the procedure seemed to have gone well, I guess as I have no idea what to be looking for but am just worried. We were sent home with no literature or directions etc, is this normal?
    I never was told what to eat etc besides the one nurse I felt was educated told me to get as much protein shakes in for the next three weeks before I could eat solids. I am scared to death about this drainage hole, not knowing what to eat, and just everything in general as I feel very uneducated about everything. I would REALLY appreciate any feedback to help ease my mind.

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Surgery date
    12/05/2013
    Surgeon
    Brennan Carmody
    Last Activity
    08-14-2014 10:09 PM
    Said "Thanks" 9 Times
    Was Thanked 109 Times in 105 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 778 Times

Default Re: Feeling very scared... HELP!

No that is not normal. They should be telling you step by step what to eat, how to take care of your wounds, etc. This is crazy. Get Dr. Alvarez's book that's advertised on this site. It's a really really good foundation.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Gastric Sleeve Member ltlsqueak's Avatar
    Name
    Sherri
    Surgery date
    11/20/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Kellum / VCU
    Last Activity
    08-10-2017 05:59 PM
    Said "Thanks" 47 Times
    Was Thanked 190 Times in 182 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 4,149 Times
    Blog Entries

I wish I could send you the booklet they gave me. What an awful feeling! Did they tell you the vitamins you needed to take? I'd be glad to provide you with this information. Private message me if you'd like the information until you can get the other book etc. Keeping you in my thoughts! Please keep us posted.

Gastric Sleeve Member Ms. Jupiter's Avatar
    Last Activity
    08-15-2016 08:33 PM
    Said "Thanks" 98 Times
    Was Thanked 71 Times in 62 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 696 Times
    Blog Entries

I am sorry you experienced this. No this not normal at all. I am not sure about the wound where the tube was, I did not have a drain tube. But I would see your regular doctor asap just to make sure. You might need cleaning instructions. I know every surgeon is different I just finished my first week. My surgeon for the first two weeks wants me reaching 85 grams of protein in a day and at least 64 ounces of fluids a day.
    I can have blended yogurts with no chunks or seeds. (vanilla and plain) Dannon Greek yogurt has a lite with X2 protein. It is good.
    Soup broths she said if it goes through a small strainer, it is fine. I have thinned split pea, strained, all the creamy soups, mushroom, cream chicken, cream broccoli, & Protein shakes. Five meals a day 1/2 cup at the most at a time. Hopefully that helps a little. You need to find someone to see close to home that you can work with. Wishing you well. Hang in there.

Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 98 Times
    Blog Entries

Yes!! Vitamins too I have the chewable children's twice a day and they recommended that I take 1 to 2 tablets of fiber choice prebiotic fiber, sugar free chewables to make things easier.

Quote Originally Posted by ltlsqueak View Post
    I wish I could send you the booklet they gave me. What an awful feeling! Did they tell you the vitamins you needed to take? I'd be glad to provide you with this information. Private message me if you'd like the information until you can get the other book etc. Keeping you in my thoughts! Please keep us posted.

7. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 98 Times
    Blog Entries

I found this link. It has some good information that can help you.
    http://www.brighamandwomens.org/Depa...ectomyDiet.pdf

9. Said thanks:

Name
    Sabrina
    Surgeon
    Dr. Patrick White
    Last Activity
    03-15-2017 08:42 AM
    Said "Thanks" 38 Times
    Was Thanked 134 Times in 125 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 4,661 Times
    Blog Entries

You should be on 2 iron kids chewables a day, getting as much protein you can with shakes, broth, etc. you need to be getting in at least 64 oz of water and be careful with fiber. It can bind you up if you don't drink a ton of water with it. Protein should be at least 40-50 grams at your stage. Keep the drainage hole clean and covered until it closes, once it closes let it air out. I had 2 drains from a previous procedure, it's not too bad. Try to read as much as you can about after care since they have not helped you. This can be a life threatening procedure If not done correctly! Best of luck to you!

Height 5' 10"

Weight 1st NUT appt- 342
    Day of surgery 7/11/13- 319
    One month 8/11/13- 290
    Two month 9/11/13- 273
    Three month 10/11/13- 264
    Four month 11/11/13- 260
    Five month 12/11/13-252
    Six month 01/11/14-248
    Seven month 02/11/14-243
    Eight month 03/11/14-240

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    07/22/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Watkins
    Last Activity
    03-24-2014 06:17 PM
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times
    Was Thanked 49 Times in 41 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,507 Times
    Blog Entries

I am a nurse who retired after 36 years of nursing. I am also 9 weeks post op gastric sleeve. No, what you experienced is not normal. Nurses are supposed to teach their patients how to care for themselves after they get home. You should have been instructed in wound care. ( For a drain, it is not all that complex ) You should have been given specific instructions on your medications - what to take and when. Once you asked about the "blood thinner" you should have been told precisely what it was and the purpose for receiving it and side effects. What you got was probably called Lovenox. It is not a blood thinner like you are thinking. It prevents platelets from sticking together and causing clots. Its main use post operatively in patients is to prevent blood clots in the legs and the next step which would be bloods clots moving from your legs to your lungs, heart or brain. There is a lot of research on this and this is a proven treament. Every Doctor is different. One will give a larger dose once a day, others divide it up to twice a day. Most hospital protocols are for twice a day. Once you left the hospital, the drug left your system. If I were in your shoes, I would find a local bariatric physican and ask if he would be willing to follow you after your surgery. Ask for a nutritional consult because it seems the nurses never thought to ask for one for you while in the hospital. ( I didn't get one because I got my information ahead of time.) You should be able to find someone to follow you. Once you get settled into your new routine, then think about calling the hospital and asking for the Director of Nursing and tell her everything you experienced. Highlight the lack of instructions on diet, activity, wound care and lack of concern for your pain . Name names if you remember. But even if you can't remember names, believe me, she can look them up either in a computer if they had electronic records or on the chart. It seems you had an extremely inexperienced nurse or a very lazy one. Even nurses with no experience with gastric sleeves should know enough to instruct you on wound care and call for a nutritionist to help you with your diet. I feel embarrassed by the poor care you received. Good luck! Call your primary care Doctor in the meantime and insist on an appointment ASAP.

Gastric Sleeve Member browncurlygrl's Avatar
    Name
    Heather
    Surgery date
    02/09/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Hector Perez
    Last Activity
    08-11-2016 04:16 AM
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times
    Was Thanked 23 Times in 23 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 19 Times

While I cannot comment on your meds only because I do not have the experience nor am I a medical professional, I will share with you this document that I used as my food intake guidelines after surgery. Not to mention, it is very important to sip, sip, sip all your fluids while you are healing. I remember sipping all day long for several weeks and at some point as the swelling of my new tummy subsided, I was able to take larger sips and then progressed to gulps which was scary at first but now feels completely normal. you just have to listen to your own body. Check out this VSG manual I think it will help you very much. Good Luck

http://www.peachtreebariatrics.com/d...ent-Manual.pdf

13. Said thanks:

Name
    Jen
    Surgery date
    12/10/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Eibes
    Last Activity
    10-21-2014 10:06 PM
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times
    Was Thanked 41 Times in 37 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 8 Times
    Blog Entries

This is the most comprehensive guide I have found. Good luck.
    http://www.muhealth.org/documents/ba...klet%20vsg.pdf

HW-2007 Lap Band - 304
    HW-2013 Sleeve - 284
    SW - 270
    1 mo - 254
    2 mo - 245
    3 mo -

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

So sorry this is happening to you, I'd be scared too! I had surgery Monday at North Kansas City Hospital. You're probably 3 hours away, but it might be worth meeting with the hospital nutritionist one time, unless there is something closer to you. When I go back to work in a week I'd be happy to copy my information and send it to you. The NUT did everything by date, and we would have the same dates. For the two weeks after surgery I'm on liquids and protein drinks, minimum 64 ounces of liquid and 60 to 70 grams protein. (You count the protein drinks toward your liquid total.) Third week pureed foods, and then adding different things until the 8th week when I can eat all foods.

There's a vitamin schedule too. I'm on a Bariatric one-a-day chewable and D now, and will start Calcium Citrate in 2 weeks. I also have lists of what protein drinks to buy, they have specific requirements they want you to look for.

My drain hole was the only incision not covered by steri-strips. I was told to cover it until it stopped seeping, and then to leave it clean and uncovered. No ointments or anything.

I have to do those shots at home every day for 7 days. It is to prevent blood clots.

Shower only (no baths) for the first month. Wash tummy with soap, rinse, and pat dry.

Private message me if you would like a phone call! I'm home another week, and not really going anywhere at the moment except for short walks. I'm still quite sore!

Sharon

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

The link to the guide jactkb sent you is exactly what my doctor gave me. Towards the end it lists what foods you need to add what weeks. Good luck!