11/01/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Adam Smith
    Said "Thanks" 6 Times
    Was Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3,220 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: An Ugly/Scary Question To Ask

Well I admit..... I am doing this now.....my pre op liquid diet starts tomorrow so I am getting the munching out the way... I haven't gone too crazy but I am craving Grands Biscuits and promised myself I will have them for dinner. And I am not even a bread/ biscuits person! I guess like the previous poster said kinda feels like I am thinking about all the food I can't have starting tomorrow. ...But I am so ready to be on the other side--the sleeved side!
    Goal 1 299 - met 11/15/13 @ 298
    Goal 2 250lbs met 04/28/14 @248
    Goal 3 220lbs met 11/22/2014 @ 218
    Goal 4 199lbs
    Goal 5 175lbs
    Final Goal: We'll see

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member ThisIs4Me's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    12/06/2013
    Surgeon
    Ernest Rehnke
    Last Activity
    01-04-2015 01:44 PM
    Said "Thanks" 31 Times
    Was Thanked 214 Times in 211 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,012 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by FARROUTLIPS View Post
    I find myself saying no don't and then doing , I cant believe how similar we all are ! Im so glad you shared this question as now im at least not feeling as guilty and not beating myself up so badly for it which is how I wound up here in the first place. Thanks for your honesty I think this will help me be better to myself before surgery!! This kinda felt like some weight lifted off my shoulders reading all this that you have all written. All we can do is try our best and remember to not be so hard on ourselves when we do mess up a little. I think the harder we are on ourselves the more or bigger we mess up! REMEMBER we are only human and we really need to learn to love ourselves . Give credit where credit is due and don't beat ourselves up to badly when its not!!!! GOOD LUCK to all of you on your journeys!!!!
    Very well said!

Im 6'2"...any questions? Lol

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    10/07/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Alexander Barkan
    Last Activity
    03-15-2017 01:40 PM
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3 Times

I'm being sleeved by Dr Barkan tomorrow!

Gastric Sleeve Member BellaTrix's Avatar
    I have not had a gastric sleeve.
    Said "Thanks" 12 Times
    Was Thanked 11 Times in 10 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 92 Times
    Blog Entries

I've caught myself doing this as well! Not so much of overeating, but definitely more relaxed with food choices and having the occasional dessert! And where before I would have beat myself up for this, I honestly haven't felt too guilty. I know I can make the changes when it comes time, so I think my mind has been telling me to enjoy while I can!

Surgery date
    11/11/2013
    Surgeon
    elias ortiz
    Last Activity
    07-19-2014 09:01 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3 Times
    Blog Entries

You said exactly what Ive been thinking. I wondered what was up. Why am I going overboard with the food (more than usual)? Im glad Im not alone . My tactic now is to not bring home my trigger foods. I seem to be in better control again. Im so looking forward to the surgery and not having to fight this battle every minute.

7. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Name
    Daphne
    Surgery date
    09/17/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Daniel Huacuz
    Last Activity
    06-03-2014 07:15 PM
    Said "Thanks" 8 Times
    Was Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 126 Times
    Blog Entries

Hi Debbie,
    I think the biggest thing is "tomorrow is a new day". Don't beat yourself up and you are never hopeless. Don't hate yourself, just learn and grow.

Gastric Sleeve Member DebbieLvswknds's Avatar
    Surgery date
    11/15/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Christopher Hart
    Last Activity
    10-23-2016 06:06 AM
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times
    Was Thanked 30 Times in 28 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 33 Times
    Blog Entries

Wow - Thank you ALL so much for the replies. I have debated days over whether or not to post that question. I am so appreciative for all the responses. I had to leave right after posting and have just gotten back on. I feel so much better and am actually going to bed tonight thinking today was not so bad. Best of luck to each and everyone of us on this journey we share. Thanks again

Surgery date
    09/06/2013
    Surgeon
    Washington
    Last Activity
    07-31-2020 04:16 PM
    Said "Thanks" 48 Times
    Was Thanked 44 Times in 41 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 22 Times

Oh yes!! It was only about 7 weeks from the time I first met my surgeon to my actual surgery date. About 3 weeks before my surgery I ate like an animal!! I was not required to diet before my pre op diet. I knew I would not be able to enjoy these foods for a while or ever again. I gained about 7 lbs in 3 weeks and really did not care. Now I do not even crave any of those foods. The only thing I really miss is the buttered popcorn I use to make my husband and I on the weekends.

Surgery date
    11/05/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Alejandro Lopez
    Said "Thanks" 114 Times
    Was Thanked 213 Times in 187 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 108 Times

I'm glad I'm not the only one. I picked up a loaf of brioche from trader joe, yesterday I stupidly kept slicing pieces off and ended up having 4. With butter, like brioche needs added fat to it. Not even part of a meal.

I may try baking a red velvet cake, but even if I do it won't be as good as how my Mom used to bake it. Same recipe but mine comes out dry, don't know why. Anyway I should probably avoid it but afraid if my tastes change I'll never be able to enjoy a bite of it again.

Surgery date
    10/19/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr Ramos Kelly
    Last Activity
    04-18-2015 09:04 AM
    Said "Thanks" 46 Times
    Was Thanked 419 Times in 405 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 5,435 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dair67 View Post
    Hey Debbie, I have been the same way. I started out 50 days pre-surgery with the two week pre-op diet I was given. I made it three days and then started eating my fool heart out. That was about two weeks ago. Maybe a little more. I am 30 some days from surgery now and I am going to slowly make the changes I need to so that the two week diet doesn't feel so overwhelming. I've read so many times on these forums that this surgery is just a tool and won't fix the head games we allow ourselves to play. It's scary and exciting all at the same time. Lean on the people here on the forums because we truly know what you are going through. Good luck and take care of yourself.
    I have mostly been making changes over the past few months. I eliminated Diet Coke several months ago and have really been working at increasing my water intake during this time. I have cut way down on coffee and tea, and most of the time am drinking decaf. I have experimented with making soups and have some pre-prepared in little ziplock bags frozen for single servings. I have ordered a supply of protein drinks, and have a shopping list of the last few essentials I need. I was not this prepared for the birth of either of my children (in my defense one was 4 weeks early and the other over 8 weeks early.) I have started packing, since that always seems to take some time.

We all prepare differently, I have really tried to focus that energy of 'wanting last meals' into preparation for my future. So far, its working for me and the only two things I really want I have to drive 3 hours one way to get, which doesn't seem very realistic!

Surgery date
    09/26/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Sowemimo
    Last Activity
    01-10-2014 06:06 AM
    Said "Thanks" 4 Times
    Was Thanked 166 Times in 153 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 25 Times
    Blog Entries

Wow, that was exactly me. I didn't have to do a per-op diet so I ate every thing I wanted especially since I knew I wasn't going to enjoy them again. I gained 3 pounds in the 3 months prior to surgery!
    Quote Originally Posted by florabug View Post
    Oh yes!! It was only about 7 weeks from the time I first met my surgeon to my actual surgery date. About 3 weeks before my surgery I ate like an animal!! I was not required to diet before my pre op diet. I knew I would not be able to enjoy these foods for a while or ever again. I gained about 7 lbs in 3 weeks and really did not care. Now I do not even crave any of those foods. The only thing I really miss is the buttered popcorn I use to make my husband and I on the weekends.

Gastric Sleeve Member purplhouse's Avatar
    Surgery date
    09/30/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Cabera
    Last Activity
    05-07-2014 02:27 AM
    Said "Thanks" 72 Times
    Was Thanked 43 Times in 40 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 68 Times
    Blog Entries

I said goodbye to a lot of foods before surgery, but I didn't overdo it and was able to lose or maintain the entire time. Could I have lost more without one last sushi trip or one last BBQ fair? Almost certainly, but my mental attitude affects recovery too and I didn't want to go into this depressed and pining for food. I made a short list of special foods and enjoyed them with family. On some 'last meals' I practiced chewing for post-op life, which made the meal last longer and me eat a lot less. I don't think of it as cheating. I'm not sorry I did it. More importantly, I can look at the future without them without getting depressed. In fact, I've since found a few recipes to help tweak some of my fave foods into healthier versions I won't have to give up after all.