Dr. Manish Parickh
    Last Activity
    10-28-2021 05:25 PM
    Said "Thanks" 62 Times
    Was Thanked 31 Times in 30 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 24 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Feeling guilty about not telling

Since my weight loss is noticeable, friends have been asking me what is my secret.
    Since I am a very private person, I didn't tell many people I was having the surgery so as not to be the object of conversation or judgement.
    It's tricky now since the sleeve has been such an amazing tool for me and I have no regrets, and I couldn't have lost 70 lbs (and counting-I'm 5 months out from surgery) without it, but I am not telling people. I tell them that I went to a nutritionist, drink lots of water, take vitamins, and portion control, and working on emotional eating. Which is all true. I saw a friend of my good friends today who is very overweight and has been struggling for years. I want to tell her since I think it would be a great option for her. She is doing weight watchers and exercising, but easily has 100 lbs+ to lose. She asked me about my weight lose. I didn't tell her about the sleeve since I don't want the word to get around, but I am feeling conflicted....thoughts?

5/7 date of surgery after 2 week pre op diet- 233 lbs

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    09/22/2012
    Surgeon
    Mr Chris Sutton
    Last Activity
    11-10-2015 06:02 PM
    Said "Thanks" 37 Times
    Was Thanked 748 Times in 671 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 482 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Feeling guilty about not telling

I felt the same. It was people who are also overweight and struggling asking me about how I'd managed it that made me decide to be more open further along - I didn't want them to feel bad about themselves assuming that I had some willpower that they couldn't muster. I'm glad I didn't tell people in the early days while I was getting my head around it. You could tell her and ask her to keep it quiet if you want to. Or wait until you're further along. But if you want to, you can choose to never tell anyone.

Once I got close to my weight, I was less worried about other people knowing. But it's your life, your body, your story. Your choice.

Surgery date
    06/07/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Shillingford
    Last Activity
    05-02-2016 06:01 PM
    Said "Thanks" 175 Times
    Was Thanked 291 Times in 272 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 250 Times

I felt the same way as you when I first had my surgery. When it got closer for me to go back to work (I am off in the summer) I found a friend of mine at work also had the surgery. I was totally conflicted because she was telling everyone and I didn't want people to think I was losing the traditional way and give her flack for having surgery. So, I opted to tell only those who asked what I was doing and said thank you to those who complimented me. This has worked so far and I am glad that I went this way. You have the right to keep this to yourself if you chose. I just didn't want people to find out later and think I had been lying to them which would have been unfair on their part. Non the less that is how I felt they would interpret it. Since then I have been able to help several people with advice on wls. Remember it is your life and your decision on whether you want to disclose your surgery and you shouldn't feel guilty of your decision.

Gastric Sleeve Member Shirleybird's Avatar
    Surgery date
    10/11/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Last Activity
    05-31-2015 03:06 PM
    Said "Thanks" 17 Times
    Was Thanked 58 Times in 56 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 98 Times
    Blog Entries

I feel exactly the same. The only person that knows is my husband and he is sworn to secrecy . I worry about people talking about me. I think that comes from always wondering if people judge me for being fat, or is it pure insecurity . I'm not sure, but I have alot of head-talk. You know things like -ya, she lost weight, but cheated to do it or people just not understanding. I worry that my friend and x-weight watchers coach will be disappointed in me for just not sticking with the program and fighting the battle of the bulge in their way of reducing weight . My friends and family think I am going on a 5 day trip to Mexico [that is where my surgery is on Oct.11.]. My husbands boss thinks I am having intestinal surgery so my husband could get time off to come with me. Otherwise, he could not get any time off because it is seasonal work and holidays are out of the question. I understand feeling bad about telling someone. My mom doesn't ever know. I don't want any negative feed back on a personal decision that is mine and mine alone to make and as far as trying to help a friend, she has her own journey to go through and if she ever learns about it for herself and asks what you think you can support her then. That still does not mean you have to tell her about yourself, but you may decide by then you can. I hope this helps. I am determined not to let anyone know. Good luck Shirley.

Surgery date
    12/05/2013
    Surgeon
    Brennan Carmody
    Last Activity
    08-14-2014 10:09 PM
    Said "Thanks" 9 Times
    Was Thanked 109 Times in 105 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 778 Times

I haven't had surgery yet but I have opted not to tell people as well. I have told my mom and that's about it. I'm a private person by nature so I don't usually share my business so this is no different. I have seen posts where people have talked about criticism for having surgery. I know from what I've read that you go through a lot of emotions after the surgery for many reasons. I didn't want one of those to be dealing with people and their opinions. I actually recently decided to pursue the Sleeve after wanting RNY for many months. You drop weight so fast with RNY that it would be difficult to tell people you're just changing your eating and exercise. To me the Sleeve provides a slower, sustained weight loss that I think you can get away with telling people what ever you want. You're telling them the truth actually, as you said. People don't realize you have to do all those things with surgery.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

7. Said thanks:

8. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member inarakatra's Avatar
    Surgery date
    10/28/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Colleen Kennedy
    Last Activity
    10-28-2014 08:42 AM
    Said "Thanks" 4 Times
    Was Thanked 31 Times in 31 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 80 Times
    Blog Entries

I started telling people then I stopped because of the more judgmental friends started making me feel bad. I don't mind anyone knowing except my mother and sister (which means anyone who would tell them). Everyone has different reason for being private/open. I would do what you feel is best. We are here for support.

Gastric Sleeve Member Ms. Jupiter's Avatar
    Last Activity
    08-15-2016 08:33 PM
    Said "Thanks" 98 Times
    Was Thanked 71 Times in 62 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 696 Times
    Blog Entries

I am having my procedure in a week. I haven't told anyone except 3 people, all family.
    I have lost 60 pounds so far since May seeing the dietician through the WLC. Just this week my co-workers started asking me what I have been doing.
    So I have told them the same thing.
    But now I am worried they are really going to notice, ( I am taking three weeks off from work.) When I get back.
    They don't need to know but I am feeling guilty too. Especially that I haven't even told my best friend. I was hoping they would not notice I am missing work, but with the attention this weekend I think they are going to start asking what's up.

Gastric Sleeve Member nana banana's Avatar
    Surgery date
    03/26/2014
    Last Activity
    07-04-2014 09:28 PM
    Said "Thanks" 43 Times
    Was Thanked 38 Times in 37 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 275 Times

I have not had surgery yet. Only my husband, adult children & 2 friends know at this point. Both friends are status post WLS & great sources of info. I have told my supervisor s that I'll be having surgery later this year & will be out x4 weeks. I don't know if I will share this with others but time will tell.

Perhaps talking with your frirnd privately is the thing to do. I have no doubt she would be grateful for the info, the support & would maintain your confidentiality.

Congratulations on your incredible success.

Gastric Sleeve Member healthier86's Avatar
    Surgery date
    09/16/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Scott Um
    Last Activity
    10-26-2018 06:40 PM
    Said "Thanks" 16 Times
    Was Thanked 96 Times in 95 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 267 Times
    Blog Entries

I was comfortable with telling people that I was having WLS until the some of those same people kept saying I was not fat enough to need the surgery. I even had one person pledge with me on my last day at work, not to have the surgery. Therefore, I will be less willing to talk about it upon my return from medical leave.

Starting weight: 207
    Day of surgery 9/16/13: 195
    Day released from hospital 9/18/13: 210
    First follow up appt. 9/24: 200
    Second post op appt. 10/1: 188
    Third post op appt. 11/12: 176
    Fourth post op appt: 2/20/14: 155

I can do all things through Christ who strengths me.

Gastric Sleeve Member scottbe1969's Avatar
    Name
    Scott
    Surgery date
    10/14/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Silva
    Last Activity
    10-14-2014 01:38 PM
    Said "Thanks" 24 Times
    Was Thanked 11 Times in 10 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

I have been telling people I am having it. I even posted it as a Facebook status and have been given much support from friends and family. Everyone is different and it is a personal thing to have done so you must do what is right for you. My friend is 4 months out and only told us at 3 months he had it done and avoided us all summer. Everyone is different. Good luck in the choices you decide.

Gastric Sleeve Member Ladyinwaiting's Avatar
    Surgery date
    08/01/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr Patel
    Last Activity
    02-13-2014 07:04 PM
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times
    Was Thanked 81 Times in 80 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 612 Times
    Blog Entries

I feel the same way. I was at a wedding with old coworkers who asked how I lost weight. I told them just diet and exercise. But, why do we feel so bad about doing this? Why do we care what people think about having the surgery?

Surgery date
    01/09/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Lautz
    Last Activity
    02-09-2015 07:21 PM
    Said "Thanks" 154 Times
    Was Thanked 299 Times in 286 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 76 Times
    Blog Entries

I think of this as a medical condition. It is not something that I want to share with just anybody. So don't feel guilty.

People usually just like to judge so why put yourself through that.

Gastric Sleeve Member sleeve-me's Avatar
    Name
    Bette
    Surgery date
    09/10/2011
    Surgeon
    Almanza
    Last Activity
    09-28-2015 03:41 PM
    Said "Thanks" 169 Times
    Was Thanked 59 Times in 54 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 33 Times

i used the same type of lines but they are true - i see a nut, portion control, working on head etc. very very few people know about it. many people in my life now dont even know i had as bad of a weight problem in the first place. if you can believe they cant picture me heavy at all. this has become the new me. i sometimes feel a bit guilty that i am not open about it but i dont want judgement. i sometimes say i had stomach issues and had surgery to remove a portion of my stomach and have to be careful what i eat but for the most part dont even go into that. i eat somewhat normally at 2 years out. like half portions and eat just a bit of the carbs but that is normal eating for many people so i assimilate easily at this point. people just think i eat a protein rich balanced eating program that requires me to eat smaller meals 6x a day. you would be surprized how many normies also eat this way. i think its a choice and you can keep as private as you want. i really am interested in this post string though bc i struggle with this thought process as well.

Gastric Sleeve Member releasenready's Avatar
    Surgery date
    01/27/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr Vulpe
    Last Activity
    06-24-2019 12:00 PM
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times
    Was Thanked 16 Times in 16 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 4,704 Times

The first thing you can say is that there are no secrets. It takes making the right choices and finding out what works best for yourself.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Dan
    Surgery date
    07/26/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Carbrera
    Last Activity
    11-26-2013 04:58 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3 Times

Hey:

Well, let me add to the "I feel the same way" club. I was having a hard time when people asked me what I was doing, and all the other questions and a friend of mine simply said.." Dan, you don't owe anyone an explanation".. what a thought! She said just say that I was working with a nutritionist and changing my lifestyle. which is true and it made it so much easier for me.. no guilt, no bending the truth, just I am working with a nutritionist. Made it simple and easy for me and made my head much clearer too.
    Sometimes my mind really complicates things for me... I think it is from my years of feeling not good enough, or not worthy of happiness, but that is simply the old tapes trying to convince me that I don't deserve it.. being happy and at a healthy weight.
    Just hang in there and keep commin back. :-)

Take care
    Dan in Albuquerque.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast