01/14/2013
    Last Activity
    03-19-2014 01:17 PM
    Said "Thanks" 5 Times
    Was Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 10 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Sugar Addiction! Struggling.

I am going to be boldly honest here in the hopes that I get the support I need. I am 8 months out and I am failing! I have been struggling all summer! I have a good day followed by several days of over-eating. I have gained 14 pounds. I didn't realize how huge of a sugar addiction I have until I had the surgery! I have these uncontrollable cravings that will not go away! I don't know how to get myself back on track again. I even tried the 5 day pouch test back in June. I was successful for about a week after.
    Starting the Sleeve Process: weight 340 lbs (March 2012)
    Starting the Liquid Pre-Op Diet: 304 lbs

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member bestnester's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Chelsea
    Surgery date
    02/13/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Hendricks
    Last Activity
    05-15-2014 02:11 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 40 Times in 33 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Sugar Addiction! Struggling.

Ok, so it took me a minute to grasp the 14 pound gain. To gain weight you have to eat more then you burn, so I am thinking you aren't exercising? That in itself is a huge component to losing weight.

Detox from sugar once we've had it is so hard. Same with carbs. Our body clings to those things and we almost have to have them to gt through. You need to completely detox from the sugar. Like cold turkey. If you buy these items you will eat them, so make a shopping list, and stick to it. What is it exactly you are eating that you can't live without? Could you try fruit for the sweetness?

I just hit 7 months and I know its harder and harder to stick with it. You need to decide what you want, you've got the tools to do it.

Name
    Cindy Barrie
    Surgery date
    10/22/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Alejandro Lopez
    Last Activity
    04-10-2015 04:43 PM
    Said "Thanks" 165 Times
    Was Thanked 220 Times in 207 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 403 Times
    Blog Entries

Mykids0818, I am right there with you! My mistake is that sugar is everywhere and in so many processed foods -- that is why we crave it! I have sugar in the house for baking (I have a 21 year old and 18 year old) when the kids have friends over, holidays, birthdays, etc -- if I bake I eat it! When I keep busy and am eating natural sugars in fruit (watermelon and peaches are my favorite right now) I do so much better. Try to find those foods that will satisfy your sugar craving without the sugar! With the advent of fall - squash is a great source of sweet and it is good for you too! Try, try, try to find those foods that are good for your that taste sweet -- try ginger or peppermint teas between meals, they have no caffeine and will help with your liquid load. One thing that helps me is that when we have something that I shouldn't really be eating I store it in the garage (in weather proof containers) so if I am going to eat it I have to get it out of the hot or cold garage -- it makes me think twice about eating it! If you really need something sweet find something that you can add to plain Greek yogurt (I use a Fiber One lemon bar) for a snack 1X ONLY daily, make it special -- take your time and enjoy! This is one of the big addictions right up there with alcohol and drugs! Remember the "Serenity Prayer!"

5. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member gemini*eyes's Avatar
    Surgery date
    11/09/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Sergio Quinones
    Last Activity
    02-05-2014 11:15 AM
    Said "Thanks" 16 Times
    Was Thanked 72 Times in 70 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 35 Times
    Blog Entries

I would suggest either a therapist or some serious soul searching. What you are doing is gonna cause diabetes and sugar makes you CRAVE more. You have to stop eating sugar for several days before you can get it out of your system and stop the cravings. I struggle too and im 9 months out. I love milk chocolate but I only let myself buy dark chocolate. That way I eat a small bite to get the chocolate craving gone. If I buy milk choc ill eat the whole thing... I havw not gained at all and I would freak out at the rate your going.. the surgery was for NOTHING! Is that what you want to hear.. Please get some self control and read some self help books or something.. I will keep you in my thoughts and really hope you find the strength with in to stop sabatoging yourself. It all boils down to how bad you really want it . 14 pounds is SERIOUS business at only 8 months out. you can do it.. If YOU want it. now.. Go throw away all that crap in your kitchen and get your butt to the gym! YOU CAN OVERCOME! Google sugar addiction.. Do it for yourself.. If you gain anymore you will give up completely. sorry I dont SUGAR coat things when the truth is what is needed! You are in charge not the sugar!

Surgery date
    07/15/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Kim
    Last Activity
    07-31-2014 11:36 AM
    Said "Thanks" 11 Times
    Was Thanked 26 Times in 24 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3,927 Times
    Blog Entries

I totally understand. Instead of sugar mine is carbs. I discovered if I try to eat a little bit - I want a bunch - so I am trying to just avoid them like the plague. I quit smoking this year and have been completely tobacco free by not taking another puff. Not a single one. I know me - If I take a puff - I will want the whole cig - then I will want another - then I will be back to full time smoking. I won't allow myself the puff. I think I am going to have to treat my carb addiction the same way. One chip or cracker (even healthy hummus chips and rice crackers) are going to have to be a total no go with me - when I eat one I want the whole bag - and I just can not do that...

8. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member greenmomma's Avatar
    Surgery date
    09/20/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ragui Sadek
    Last Activity
    12-20-2023 04:35 PM
    Said "Thanks" 5 Times
    Was Thanked 168 Times in 150 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 65 Times
    Blog Entries

Just because you made poor food choices yesterday, doesn't mean you'll make them today. To quote Pumbaa, put the past in your behind. Make mindful choices going forward. Good luck. And don't forget that you've already lost nearly 70 pounds. You can do this!

10. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member sleeve-me's Avatar
    Name
    Bette
    Surgery date
    09/10/2011
    Surgeon
    Almanza
    Last Activity
    09-28-2015 03:41 PM
    Said "Thanks" 169 Times
    Was Thanked 59 Times in 54 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 33 Times

i am so glad you posted this.... i can so relate but havent had a gain from it and have been doing it from 6 months on. i havent admitted this here at all but i love love love that sugar in the raw. i add a ton and i mean a ton to my ice tea daily. there is something about the crunch. no i dont blend it in. in fact i hate sweet tea if you can believe it. its the crunch i am after. in some ways i think that it keeps me from eating more then my meal plan during the day. like it is my safety net. as a part of this program i stopped drinking. i try to tell my friends its the only bad thing i get. if i can get off of it for a few days it can really help and stop the cravings. that is one of the reasons i am doing the pouch test. to stop it .... i think i might be having withdrawls from sugar but i am hanging in. i am sure if i stopped the sugar i would def have less cravings for other bad carbs. it could really help my loss but i feel pretty satisfied where i am so i dont quit. its a terrible terrible habit for me.

Gastric Sleeve Member Dunnbyrobert's Avatar
    Surgery date
    02/15/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Last Activity
    09-18-2013 11:52 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times
    Blog Entries

Can you tell me what the leak test diet is you did for 5 days? I am 7 months out and for the last 6 weeks been struggling and gaining a few pounds. I need a reboot. My Dr's office said to come back and get things tightened back up. I am about ready to.

Name
    Jen
    Surgery date
    12/10/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Eibes
    Last Activity
    10-21-2014 10:06 PM
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times
    Was Thanked 41 Times in 37 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 8 Times
    Blog Entries

There are some studies out there that suggest that artificial sweeteners can contribute to sugar addiction. If you are having trouble truly detoxing from sugar and you are using artificial sweeteners, the artificial sweeteners may be the cause. I would suggest doing a trial of only eating whole foods. Lean meats, whole raw or cooked veggies, whole raw fruits. Make sure any broth/sauce/etc does not have any sugar or artificial sweeteners. I have a blog post that contains info about items that do not use artificial sweeteners. I plan on using stevia, but for your detox I wouldn't risk using even it.

I also suggest finding a good therapist that has experience with eating disorders or addictions. If money for therapy is an issue, most areas have therapists that charge on a sliding fee scale. Google "sliding fee therapist" and your geographical area.

This is my greatest fear with having this surgery. I had lap band previously and failed with it. I have already started working with a therapist to help me succeed.

Good luck and keep posting, we will be here to support and help you in any way we can.

HW-2007 Lap Band - 304
    HW-2013 Sleeve - 284
    SW - 270
    1 mo - 254
    2 mo - 245
    3 mo -

14. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Dunnbyrobert's Avatar
    Surgery date
    02/15/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Last Activity
    09-18-2013 11:52 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times
    Blog Entries

Pouch diet????????? What does it consist of?

Gastric Sleeve Member gemini*eyes's Avatar
    Surgery date
    11/09/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Sergio Quinones
    Last Activity
    02-05-2014 11:15 AM
    Said "Thanks" 16 Times
    Was Thanked 72 Times in 70 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 35 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dunnbyrobert View Post
    Google it. 5 day pouch test. Its just a liquid diet people think it helps shrink the stomach or something. Its not a leak test.. And what do you mean your doc said to come back and have things tightend up???? Not possible unless you havr a sleeve revision and cut more off.. ?? Elaborate please!

Gastric Sleeve Member mykidz0818's Avatar
    Surgery date
    01/14/2013
    Last Activity
    03-19-2014 01:17 PM
    Said "Thanks" 5 Times
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 10 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dunnbyrobert View Post
    Surgical Weight Loss 5 Day Pouch Test
    Starting the Sleeve Process: weight 340 lbs (March 2012)
    Starting the Liquid Pre-Op Diet: 304 lbs

Name
    Jen
    Surgery date
    12/10/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Eibes
    Last Activity
    10-21-2014 10:06 PM
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times
    Was Thanked 41 Times in 37 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 8 Times
    Blog Entries

HW-2007 Lap Band - 304
    HW-2013 Sleeve - 284
    SW - 270
    1 mo - 254
    2 mo - 245
    3 mo -