Surgeon
    Dr. Lyass
    Last Activity
    09-08-2015 02:31 AM
    Said "Thanks" 13 Times
    Was Thanked 104 Times in 70 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,803 Times

Default The upcoming holiday season!

I'm really DREADING the holidays coming up... Are there any sleevers who've been thru a holiday season? How'd you fare and what did you do?

1 month post op 04/22/2013 - 232
    6 month post op 09/22/2013 - 176
    ONE YEAR SURGIVERSARY!!!! 03/22/2014 - 151

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    I have not had a gastric sleeve.
    Said "Thanks" 7 Times
    Was Thanked 20 Times in 19 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 97 Times

Default Re: The upcoming holiday season!

I'm newly sleeved so haven't been through a holiday season yet, but I too am dreading it! I'm only about 4 weeks out and I'm doing well, but I still haven't lost my taste for food of any kind. Little stressed about how to get through the holidays without overdoing it. At least with my sleeve I can't eat too much or it makes me feel sick.
    Thanks for asking! Hope some veterans can share some advice!

Gastric Sleeve Member bestnester's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Chelsea
    Surgery date
    02/13/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Hendricks
    Last Activity
    05-15-2014 02:11 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 40 Times in 33 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times
    Blog Entries

You decide now what your plan is. If that means 1 sweet treat on the holiday, then great. I view it as 4 holidays coming up: Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years. I don't plan on having a single candy over Halloween. Even if its a mini sized one, I'm choosing now NOT to have any. Instead, I'll make some delicious healthy cider to treat myself with. For Thanksgivng, I won't have pie. I will enjoy some mashed yams or stuffing. Start with turkey and a few nibbles of the sides. Etc.etc.etc. If we choose now how we want the holidays to play out we will succeed. I think exercise will play a huge part. If we eat a few more savory items, we just need to step up the exercise, simple equations. Also, I find it helpful to tell my husband my goals so I feel accountable to someone. My birthday was this weekend and my Mom bought a delicious red velvet cake. I had one small bite of just the cake. That's it. I made that decision before that day, so my choice was so easy and I felt no guilt.

Name
    Linda
    Surgery date
    05/31/2010
    Surgeon
    Aceves
    Last Activity
    01-19-2016 10:18 AM
    Said "Thanks" 87 Times
    Was Thanked 60 Times in 49 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 18 Times
    Blog Entries

I don't mean to make it sound like it's no big deal but you do what you've been doing and know to do! You're on a mission, a quest! You are working to gain your life back...don't let a cookie ruin it for you. Enjoy a nibble if you wish BUT if sweets are a trigger for you, abstain! Do it for you!

Blog (with pictures): http://mwlj2010.blogspot.com/

Surgery date
    03/22/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Lyass
    Last Activity
    09-08-2015 02:31 AM
    Said "Thanks" 13 Times
    Was Thanked 104 Times in 70 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,803 Times

I'm fairly lucky, I am one of the few sleevers who can not tolerate sugar post surgery! So I'm not worried about that, I know it makes me ill so it's a complete turn off. I'm more concerned about head hunger when all the wonderful smells are going on in the kitchen. I, myself LOVE to cook and cooking Thanksgiving and Christmas dinner is the highlight of my year. I'll make a plan and stick to it, and I also like the idea of telling my husband so I'm accountable. That's a fabulous idea. Thank you all for the positive reinforcement! It's truly been a blessing for me.

I'm so close to my goal of 170 that I can taste it. I know I'll be there and maybe below by the time the holidays come around. I'm so blessed, I've had so much positive reinforcement from all around!

1 month post op 04/22/2013 - 232
    6 month post op 09/22/2013 - 176
    ONE YEAR SURGIVERSARY!!!! 03/22/2014 - 151

7. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Name
    Melody Green
    Surgery date
    06/27/2013
    Surgeon
    Kenneth Hollis
    Last Activity
    12-16-2013 02:27 PM
    Said "Thanks" 4 Times
    Was Thanked 17 Times in 17 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 23 Times
    Blog Entries

I tell my husband and my BFF. I know then, I am accountable. I think the most upset will be family, I just dont really want to participate. I'd rather go camping. Empty nester now, but only child.

Surgery date
    04/08/2013
    Surgeon
    Sidney Hu
    Last Activity
    06-09-2014 08:25 PM
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 23 Times in 20 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

I am looking forward to the holidays! Fall and winter are my favorite times of year. I did not have this surgery so that I could spend the rest of my life afraid of food, and I will enjoy the holidays in moderation.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    02/04/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Schmitt
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 16 Times in 16 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 104 Times
    Blog Entries

My birthday was last weekend and my sister brings in a dulce de leche cake and a red velvet cupcake....She knows I had this surgery :/ Luckily, she just dropped it by on Sunday. I didn't even open that sucker or the cupcake...Instead I asked my husband to take it and the cupcake to his work on Monday morning and share it with anybody who would eat it and to please not bring any of it back home. It's not that I'm scared to eat the stuff, but I know I don't need to and plus...do you know how many extra minutes on the treadmill/stair climber one little teensy bit of that would make? Nah...not worth it. So, when my co-workers asked me what I wanted for my birthday, I got creative:

Attachment 14485

And I didn't feel bad for having some of this "cake" ... For the holidays, I'll do the same. Take something protein-ish that I know I can eat and enjoy the smells of the holidays. My family is large and I don't mean that in the number sense of the word...They're large people and I DON'T want to be bedridden like my mother by the time I'm 50 because of obesity. Maybe I'll get creative and take something good for me and everyone else will like it too...Plus you can't go wrong with turkey or ham. Good protein. The holidays may not be easy, but by golly, I'm gonna succeed!! I'm also not one of those who will beat myself up if I do eat something that I shouldn't...I'll do better the next time. Sheli said it best...Enjoy the holidays in moderation...Great advice

Gastric Sleeve Member sleeve-me's Avatar
    Name
    Bette
    Surgery date
    09/10/2011
    Surgeon
    Almanza
    Last Activity
    09-28-2015 03:41 PM
    Said "Thanks" 169 Times
    Was Thanked 59 Times in 54 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 33 Times

I have been thru 2 holiday seasons. the first year i was 3 months out for the first year i went to a group dinner. this way it looked "normal" just to taste a little bit of this and a little of that. i think i took on my plate a couple teaspons of stuff that looked good. concentrating on the turkey and veggies. i think i brought a steamed veggie item. if you go to someones house opt to bring something you know will be safe and may not be at the party. also going somewhere makes it so you dont have left overs.

ok second year i cooked but i only made my fav things and 1 request from my bfriend. so i made turkey/steamed green beans/stuffing/mash pots/yes even 1 pie. i was really listening to my body. i tried all the flavors i wanted so i wasnt deprived or jealous. but i made sure to stay under my barfy level. we ate outside and enjoyed the sun and the sounds. make it more about the people the crisp weather the music, the gratitude. i believe we went for a walk or did some exercise. i think we went to one of those late night sales just for the heck of it to see what that is all about. i used to supersize cook everything for holidays. the more the better. not so now. make normal portions. this will limit left overs - give the food away - share with elderly friend or a neighbor. keep a moderate amount of left overs. for me extra food can cause graze opptys esp on carb rich foods - that really derail us.

i find that getting up and moving even a bit can help alleviate any uncomfortable feeling. even doing the dishes can help with this or its not uncommon for others to want a walk after a large meal. hey another way to change not only our habits but our families who can also have struggles. dont know if that helps but that is what i did.

ps i also stopped drinking after surgery. didnt want to hurt my stomach or get empty calories or any type of carbonation. so this presents its own challenges too. its def a refocus for me way from the food and into the true holiday spirit

Name
    Peggy
    Surgery date
    07/24/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Lalor
    Last Activity
    04-22-2015 04:45 PM
    Said "Thanks" 197 Times
    Was Thanked 346 Times in 318 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 107 Times
    Blog Entries

I am over a year out, I met my goal around 11 months and I follow the "everything in moderation" plan. I do follow the protein first rule, but I also believe that on special occasions, I will eat a tiny bit of whatever I want. I am famous for my desserts. Now I try to make those healthier, and instead of a full size serving, I'll take just a bite or 2, even if it's several different desserts. I don't want to feel deprived, and no, sugar doesn't send me in a tither. I always plan ahead, like I will just have a protein shake for the 2 other meals for the day, "saving" my calories and carbs for the big meal. I will also adjust the rest of the week, eating fewer calories. I try to concentrate more on my calories for the week, than for each day.

If sugar/carbs set you off, avoid it, but other-wise, stick with protein, and go from there.
    ~~Peggy~~
    Highest weight: 249
    Weight at pre-op: 224
    Weight at surgery: 216