Surgeon
    Dr Jose Guadaloupe-Rodruguez
    Last Activity
    03-05-2021 12:37 PM
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times
    Was Thanked 53 Times in 46 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 91 Times
    Blog Entries

Default You know, I'm a little suprised....

So far I have lost 52 lbs since May, 42 of them post surgery. That is a lot of weight! The puzzling part to me is that I can still wear my size 22 and am just barely into and 18 (22 same size as pre surgery). Also, I have seen people lately who have not seen me since I had my surgery and I don't have people saying anything about it so it must not be that noticeable. My husband who sees me everyday says he can tell but people who have not seen me in months or weeks can't? I just don't get it?

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Linny
    Surgery date
    01/16/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Sergio Quinones
    Last Activity
    05-24-2015 05:50 PM
    Said "Thanks" 5 Times
    Was Thanked 53 Times in 52 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 95 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: You know, I'm a little suprised....

I don't know if this is what is going on with you, but here's what happened to me down 55 so far.... My fat was really hard-packed behind my skin As I've lost the pounds it's all much squishier in there. I'm sure people will soon be able to tell. Just keep on going!

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    08/29/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Hoehn
    Last Activity
    02-08-2014 04:31 PM
    Said "Thanks" 24 Times
    Was Thanked 43 Times in 40 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 7 Times

I started out in jeans size 22 or 24 and yes it took a while to start going down in jean size. But the more weight u loose the faster your jean size will go down. When I reached size 14 it only took about 12 more lbs and I could wear a 12. After I reached a size 18 it seemed like I was always having to buy new clothes because I refuse to wear baggy clothes!

Gastric Sleeve Member christine53's Avatar
    Surgery date
    03/15/2013
    Surgeon
    Alejandro Lopez
    Last Activity
    03-01-2015 10:24 PM
    Said "Thanks" 84 Times
    Was Thanked 229 Times in 213 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 162 Times
    Blog Entries

Same thing with me, just wait they will notice

Gastric Sleeve Member Hopefuljourney's Avatar
    Name
    Amy
    Surgery date
    07/16/2013
    Surgeon
    Alok D Gandhi, DO
    Last Activity
    09-24-2015 01:14 PM
    Said "Thanks" 7 Times
    Was Thanked 26 Times in 26 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2 Times
    Blog Entries

I think it is one of two things...people are not observant. I have found that most people don't pay that much attention to others around them or they have noticed your fantastic loss and have not said anything because they are a bit taken aback by the fact that you have lost weight...jealous. Keep up the wonderful path you have set up for yourself.

7. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member HopeFaithLove's Avatar
    Last Activity
    08-04-2013 10:00 PM
    Said "Thanks" 45 Times
    Was Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Just wait sister... You will blow their minds in a few months! Eye on the prize!!

Surgery date
    07/12/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr Justin Greenslade
    Last Activity
    04-23-2014 02:09 AM
    Said "Thanks" 8 Times
    Was Thanked 107 Times in 93 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 117 Times
    Blog Entries

your body will catch up believe me, as long as you know your losing the weight, people will begin to notice in a while, mine took a while to be noticeable too. was great when people started exclaiming about my weight loss. as long as you are losing your fine. Good Luck.

Name
    Sabrina
    Surgeon
    Dr. Patrick White
    Last Activity
    03-15-2017 08:42 AM
    Said "Thanks" 38 Times
    Was Thanked 134 Times in 125 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 4,661 Times
    Blog Entries

I'm having the same issue. I'm losing everywhere except my belly. I suppose if I keep going it has to come off sometime.

Height 5' 10"

Weight 1st NUT appt- 342
    Day of surgery 7/11/13- 319
    One month 8/11/13- 290
    Two month 9/11/13- 273
    Three month 10/11/13- 264
    Four month 11/11/13- 260
    Five month 12/11/13-252
    Six month 01/11/14-248
    Seven month 02/11/14-243
    Eight month 03/11/14-240

Gastric Sleeve Member ShadowCruiser's Avatar
    Surgery date
    05/09/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Shillingford
    Last Activity
    08-17-2015 02:49 PM
    Said "Thanks" 54 Times
    Was Thanked 21 Times in 20 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 46 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hopefuljourney View Post
    I think it is one of two things...people are not observant. I have found that most people don't pay that much attention to others around them or they have noticed your fantastic loss and have not said anything because they are a bit taken aback by the fact that you have lost weight...jealous. Keep up the wonderful path you have set up for yourself.
    Quote Originally Posted by mskitti View Post
    your body will catch up believe me, as long as you know your losing the weight, people will begin to notice in a while, mine took a while to be noticeable too. was great when people started exclaiming about my weight loss. as long as you are losing your fine. Good Luck.
    These two took the words right out of my mouth! Give your body a chance to catch up with what you see on the scale. I would also encourage you to use your own victories, both on the scale and NSV, to be the source of your proof, motivation, inspiration, and not others. It might be disappointing if you expect others, esp others that don't see you on a regular basis, to be as excited as you are in your own journey and personal milestones. I am also learning that unless people have been on "this side" do not comprehend what we do to loose the weight and the significant milestones we accomplish. That's one reason I find forums like this are what I need.....y'all get it!

Funny, I am saying to have patience...the one thing I lack as well! Easier said than done, huh??

PS I get the clothes thing. I *refuse* to buy any more plus size and will wear what I have until it falls off or won't stay up. I did pick up my first pair of ladies (not womens/plus) pants on clearance, so I have something to wear when that day comes.
    Reason: grammar

Follow my VGS journey on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Shadow__Cruiser (2 underscores b/t names)
    Follow my VGS journey on Blogger: http://lacesinthemiddle.blogspot.com/

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    12/14/2012
    Surgeon
    William H. Johnson
    Last Activity
    05-13-2014 10:50 AM
    Land of the free and the home of the Braves!
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times
    Was Thanked 83 Times in 78 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 42 Times

Seems like many of us lose in different places in a very random order. I lost a ton of weight in my butt and hips first, then started losing in my arms and chest, then it finally started in my stomach. Once I started going to the gym and lifting weights and using the elliptical it finally started coming off in my stomach and sides. Maybe you can change your exercise routine and do something that focuses on your core - swimming, elliptical, an exercise class where you move around a lot like zumba, kickboxing, step aerobics - any of those might "wake up" that part of your body and make it start shaping up the way you want it to.

In any case 52 lbs in just a couple months is amazing, keep up the great work!

Gastric Sleeve Member
    I have not had a gastric sleeve.
    Said "Thanks" 118 Times
    Was Thanked 85 Times in 80 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,736 Times

We recently had a family reunion, there were people there that we had not seen in 7 years. Some of them have lost weight and some of them had gained, however my husband and I said nothing to any of them about weight. We typically wait until we are in the car leaving and then talk amongst ourselves as to not offend anyone. Think about it, if someone says "WOW you look so good now" What did you no look good before were you just a pile of poo before...etc I agree with the above posts, your victories both on the scale and off to determine your success. Good luck

Name
    Peggy
    Surgery date
    07/24/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Lalor
    Last Activity
    04-22-2015 04:45 PM
    Said "Thanks" 197 Times
    Was Thanked 346 Times in 318 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 107 Times
    Blog Entries

There are several things that contribute weight-loss vs size loss. First, when you stall (and everyone panics about stalls) this is when you're body actually shrinks in size, or inches come off. That's why I never got worked up about "stalls", because I knew that's when I'd drop sizes instead. Also, someone had posted about this a long time ago...sizes only go up so big so the weight/size ratio in the plus section is really quite large. I know I had to lose about 45#-ish to drop a size, then once I got out of plus sizes, it was like every 8-10# I would drop another size.

It also depends on where you carry your weight, and where you are losing it first. It the past, with other diets, my butt and belly were always the last to go and my boobs first. This time, well quick background, I had breast cancer and had a double mastectomy with reconstruction, meaning they took belly fat and made new boobs. So, now after the sleeve, my butt and the rest of my belly were the first to go. Next were my thighs and arms, and thankfully my boobs haven't completely disappeared. So, if you carried your weight evenly, most likely you'll lose evenly as well. If you were top heavy, or bottom heavy, those areas are going to take a little longer. Like someone else said, after some weight-loss, certain areas would be "squishy", then I'd plateau, and then the inches would come off, then the sizes would drop, and then the weight would drop again. So don't sweat the stalls or plateaus, that's when the inches come off and the sizes go down.

Here was my size/weight break down:
    my largest 249 - snug 18w
    post mini tummy tuck and pre-op diet 209 - 16 (without the mini tummy tuck, it would have been 16w for sure)
    190 - 14
    180 - 12
    170 - 10
    160 - 8
    150 - 6
    140 - 4
    ~~Peggy~~
    Highest weight: 249
    Weight at pre-op: 224
    Weight at surgery: 216