Dr. Shillingford
    Last Activity
    08-17-2015 02:49 PM
    Said "Thanks" 54 Times
    Was Thanked 21 Times in 20 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 46 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Gastric Sleeve - Husband Not on board

In the same boat...found that if I gave him bits and pieces to "chew" on and not overwhelm him with everything at once, that helps. DH wasn't a fan either, and said he would give his blessings as long as I did this in the states. OK... show I showed him all the info of having it done in the states (price $19-22K) AND the doctors' experiences. THEN I showed him Dr. Alvarez's information, his prices and stats. No it's not all on price, but to explain that I am going to see someone who 1) specializes in bariatrics, and not just "one of the many types" and 2) has been doing this MUCH longer and 3) My brother was sleeved last week, a second brother about to do the same thing and now, me. He gets it now and is on board with me.

Not just this, but learned to just give hubbie enough to think about. A previous poster said that we have been OCD'ing the videos, researching, boards, so for us, we are passionate about our decision. I would bet that he's just as excited and passionate about something he's been investing his time (and money) that he would be disappointed if your reaction wasn't the same.

I also had a REALLY bad experience with a doctor--was given two different diagnoses and they were blatantly wrong. Once I got a copy of my med records and the lab results, I have no idea why I was lied to. My point is that US doctors are not infallible. There are also plenty of doctors who get their medical degrees elsewhere and come to the US. And plenty of procedures that are done elsewhere--and safe--but the US won't allow/won't adopt that protocol for what ever reason (OT case in point...did you see where British women are given laughing gas in labor???) There is a need, insurance is enough of a problem, and qualified doctors all over the world to do this. I also have a hard time thinking that THIS many people do travel out of the country for WLS why they would recommend it if it was seedy, creepy, unsafe, etc. Foreign doctors are capitalizing on an opportunity when the healthcare system isn't working for us. Why WOULDN"T they want us to be healthier thus allowing WLS?

Sorry for the digress, but just give hubbie some time. There are many of the MX doctors that have been featured on US networks and publications...maybe he would be more open if he saw something like that.

Good luck...its hard when family doesn't understand or support you 100%. BTW, I'm a mom of two, one being a special needs child. Trust me, the thought has gone through my head hundreds of times. But for the first time in prob 10 years, I am doing something Just.For.Me. They will benefit from it, but I am doing this for me.

Follow my VGS journey on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Shadow__Cruiser (2 underscores b/t names)
    Follow my VGS journey on Blogger: http://lacesinthemiddle.blogspot.com/

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    07/24/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Yu
    Last Activity
    08-26-2013 12:54 AM
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times
    Was Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 6 Times

My husband was like that when I had my Lap Band put in...After he saw how much weight I lost his attitude changed! Maybe show him some before and after photos????

Banned
    Name
    Melanie
    Surgery date
    10/05/2012
    Surgeon
    Last Activity
    10-17-2016 08:04 PM
    Said "Thanks" 195 Times
    Was Thanked 375 Times in 289 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times
    Blog Entries

I had surgery with Dr. quinones in Oct. of last year, he is AMAZING. My fiance was wary of me having surgery in MX as well, but it was the best decision I have ever made. If you have any questions feel free to ask. Best of luck on your choice.

Gastric Sleeve Member Enfury8me's Avatar
    Name
    Terrie
    Surgery date
    10/23/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr.Sergio Quinones
    Last Activity
    12-08-2015 05:43 PM
    Said "Thanks" 57 Times
    Was Thanked 135 Times in 127 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 74 Times

Trish, I had my surgery with Dr. Quinones in Mexico and found out that it is as safe as having it here in the states. You will be in great hands with Dr. Quinones and his team!! Good luck to you!

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
    Blessed to have had my Sleeve and now the Journey Ensues:
    Highest Weight 2012 - 272 lbs
    Lowest Weight 1999 - 150 lbs
    Start pre-op diet - 272 lbs
    Date of surgery - 272 lbs (10/23/12)