Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Last Activity
    11-26-2013 01:39 AM
    Said "Thanks" 6 Times
    Was Thanked 23 Times in 16 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default Need Help - have stopped losing weight!

My surgery was Feb. 9th and it went great I lost 30 pounds it seemed like right away and then beggining/ mid April I only lost 5 pounds from then to now. I know there were a few things that I did wrong. I forced myself to eat more than I was hungry for because I was afraid I was losing the weight too quickly and didn't want to gain it back or have it be obvious to people I had gastric surgery. Two I was really happy with the weight I lost at first and said to myself that even if this is all the weight I will lose I would still of done the surgery. (I think being satisfied at that moment killed my motivation)

So here I am I went from 265 to 230 and pretty stuck. I also think I have stretched my stomach out since I can eat a lot my frequently then when I first had the surgery. Also my stomach can hold more before I get that really full feeling.

So here I am stuck for the last 2 months has anyone else expierenced this and still have lost more weight?

What advice does anyone have to get back on track?

2. Said thanks:

3. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    06/08/2011
    Surgeon
    Buckley
    Last Activity
    04-08-2012 08:39 PM
    Said "Thanks" 8 Times
    Was Thanked 25 Times in 20 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 23 Times

Default Re: Need Help - have stopped losing weight!

Hi there -
    Are you by any chance going to any support groups or follow up meetings with nutritionists? I am only one month out from surgery, and really don't have enough experience - but one of the requirements of my having the surgery is attending a mandatory weekly group meeting with nutritionist and fitness instructor to "instill" positive eating habits...which I hope will keep me on the right track...are you participating in anything like that ? is there anything available in your area? Best of luck..!

Gastric Sleeve Member sqezybabe's Avatar
    Name
    Mandy
    Surgery date
    04/11/2011
    Surgeon
    Miss Chang
    Last Activity
    08-03-2016 11:51 AM
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times
    Was Thanked 50 Times in 19 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 13 Times

I have lost nearly 100lbs...and my weight keeps stopping/starting...i have found what works for me is to eat more protein (especially fish) and less carbs...going away in 3 weeks, so when i come back i'm gonna start going to the gym...i hope that helps me more!!!!

Good luck with your weight-loss, and if you have any problems then write them on here...i'm sure someone out there can help you or if not are always give some advice, if your stuck!!!!

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 6 Times

Thanks! I am re-reading gastric surgery for dummies in hopes of re-educating myself. I have not attended a support group since my surgery I need to start going. The protein is a good idea I was doing two shakes a day then switched down to one after I graduated from soft foods. So perhaps I need to go back to that since I was losing more then. Also at that time I was cutting out cow's milk and only doing soy or almond. Advice to people who are going to have the surgery write down what you are eating since by making changes later it will be easier to pin point why you might not be losing weight down the road.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 6 Times

If anyone has had 2 month go by without losing weight and then started losing again let me know

8. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    12/12/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr Landerholm
    Last Activity
    02-13-2018 09:44 PM
    Said "Thanks" 9 Times
    Was Thanked 457 Times in 339 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 138 Times

I have not yet been sleeved, but was banded 10 years ago. I did not have support groups available to me where I lived - and I would strongly suggest to anyone to take advantage. You learn so much - tips and tricks, get support and I think it is a critical factor for success.

My sleeve surgeon also requires support groups and ongoing nutrition sessions - because his historical data shows it makes a difference in how much people lose. I figure do everything to try to stack the deck in your favor!
    308# 12/1/2011 Start of Preop Diet
    300# 12/12/11 Lapband to Sleeve revision
    158# Feb 2013 - GOAL lost 150# 14 months post op
    150# 10/14/2013 - Plastics Dr Sauceda in Monterrey Mexico; removed 5.5# of skin
    140# Apr 2014 - maintaining 168# weight loss currently. Very happy with my sleeve and plastics results!

Gastric Sleeve Member MissDeidre's Avatar
    Surgery date
    03/02/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Anthony McLuney
    Last Activity
    10-14-2011 08:03 AM
    Said "Thanks" 110 Times
    Was Thanked 472 Times in 251 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 147 Times

I was sleeved on March2 and have never been to a support group meeting ... I found their timing, unfortunately, to be the WORST possible for me so I use the online boards as my support group.

I have plateau'd a few times ... most notably I plateaued for almost a month just about 3 weeks post op. It's 100% normal and 5000% annoying as hell ... keep doing what you know works ... make sure you get your water and your protein in EVERY DAY ... increase your carb intake just before working out to kick start everything.

Don't fall back into bad habits ... don't FORCE yourself to eat something if you aren't hungry ... make an appointment with your nutritionist and see if there is a daily caloric requirement they want you to hit every day ... You didn't mention if you are working out/walking/exercising ... this will also trigger weight loss ...

CHEERS!
    ----
    Sleeved 2 March 2011
    <a href="http://asinglebite.com/">A Gastronomical Journey to Skinny</a>

11. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Cassie
    Surgery date
    05/12/2011
    Surgeon
    Almanza
    Last Activity
    05-11-2012 10:01 PM
    Said "Thanks" 36 Times
    Was Thanked 9 Times in 8 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 7 Times

Frustrating as hell I know! Had surgery in Tijuana, so no pre-any classes or post any classes - just this forum or I'd be flying blind! Hang in there - and keep a food journal. I've found this helps me lots! Count every calorie like it is the same as your money!! You will start losing again-

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    07/01/2011
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 11 Times in 10 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2 Times

Water and laxatives!

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Angel
    Last Activity
    11-14-2011 08:07 AM
    Said "Thanks" 63 Times
    Was Thanked 102 Times in 28 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 4 Times

I know how frustrating this is. You start to think that you're broken or that you've farted away your surgery. It's normal. I lost weight twice before getting sleeved. It seems that 70 lbs lost is a major plateau point for me. I gained the weight back twice pre-sleeve, but I've busted through it since having surgery last October. I'm up to 123 lbs lost and I've still plateaued so many times. When I got really frustrated, I started eating really light meals throughout the day. This was easy because I move around a lot at work. So I started eating "portable" food. Protein bars, dehydrated veggies, cheese sticks, etc. all day and a nice meal in the evening. This served a few purposes. Among them, by the time I ate in the evening, I couldn't eat much because I'd been eating such small amounts during the day. And, I was able to get plenty of protein in and still stay within my calorie bank. It helped tremendously. I didn't feel "broken" anymore.

I have started an organization and I hope to develop it into a non-profit. I want to help people like us along this journey. I have a blog and I posted a link about this very issue and i hope you get a chance to read it. It just kind of breaks down some conclusions I've come to over the course of my weight loss journey.

Here you go:
    What Is Your Answer?

I wish you all the best and I'm here for you!

Angel

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    07/21/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr Diaz
    Last Activity
    04-10-2012 11:07 AM
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

OMG! I am going through the same thing and actually going crazy. I haven't lost weight in the past 3 months. I am excercising, visiting a nutritionists, etc, etc. When I read your post it's the EXACTLY same thing thats happening to me.

Gastric Sleeve Member michelleb's Avatar
    Name
    Michelle
    Surgery date
    09/16/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr Aceves
    Last Activity
    06-12-2016 11:20 AM
    Said "Thanks" 537 Times
    Was Thanked 572 Times in 521 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 5,488 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sleeved View Post
    OMG! I am going through the same thing and actually going crazy. I haven't lost weight in the past 3 months. I am excercising, visiting a nutritionists, etc, etc. When I read your post it's the EXACTLY same thing thats happening to me.
    What are you eating/drinking daily? Are you exercising?