Surgeon
    Dr. Gabrielsen
    Last Activity
    10-01-2012 05:20 PM
    Said "Thanks" 48 Times
    Was Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2 Times
    Blog Entries

Default has anyone used independence blue cross for their sleeve?

I was considering the band, and after much research, I decided to get "sleeved". My insurance is from PA, and is independence blue cross, and it covers the two part procedure of the sleeve first, then the bypass. I don't want the by pass, only the sleeve. I was wondering if anyone could help me? I have two months to go to complete my 6 month pre-surgery requirements. EXCITED!!!

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Kim Hess
    Surgery date
    07/11/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Jon Gabrielsen
    Last Activity
    11-03-2011 08:55 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 9 Times

Default Re: has anyone used independence blue cross for their sleeve?

Hello! I'm from PA, and my sleeve is scheduled for next Monday... hoping 7-11 is a good omen! My husband's Blue Cross (independent) insurance is covering my surgery. I had contacted the company months ago to ask if the gastric sleeve would be covered and was told they were not opposed, but a case needed to be made in order to be considered. I was thankful to receive the green light. I hope you too will be successful in your journey!

4. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    11/23/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Gabrielsen
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 48 Times
    Blog Entries

Thank you very much!! I called and they said it was covered, but when I looked it up online, it is covered only if it is a part of the two part procedure. sleeve first, then bypass. I don't want the bypass at all. I'm sooo very glad to hear that. Geisinger said they would send a letter and fight for it. Thank you again, you have given me hope. I haven been so worried about it. I will find out next month when my surgery date is. Good luck, and 7/11 will be a great day for your new start in life!!

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Kim Hess
    Surgery date
    07/11/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Jon Gabrielsen
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times

Smile Re: has anyone used independence blue cross for their sleeve?

Dear Kathleen,
    I wish you the best of luck with your insurance provider, I am hopeful for you as obviously they are now open to the sleeve as a standalone procedure. Please let me know when you hear back from them, and when you receive your surgery date. Little nervous about the surgery, but am very grateful and anxious at the same time. Take care! Kim

7. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    11/23/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Gabrielsen
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 48 Times
    Blog Entries

how are you feeling? I was thinking about you Kim, and wondering how you were doing. I hope you are well. Prayers are being sent your way

9. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Kim Hess
    Surgery date
    07/11/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Jon Gabrielsen
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times

Thank you for writing, Kathleen! Came home last night. The surgery went very well, would highly recommend Dr. Gabrielson @ Geisinger, Danville PA. I had some chest pains in the recovery room, and had an EKG while there. All seems okay... probably came from the gas they used to inflate abdominal area in order to operate. The nurses were all exceptionally nice at Geisinger too. Getting around pretty well, have a little nausea so it's a bit challenging to get the protein shake in. I'm sipping about 2 oz. at a time for now. Will try to up that slowly. I came home with teds and an abdominal band/support. I can take the teds off while moving around during the day, and put back on to sleep. The nurse said to wear the support until I feel comfortable without it. I have some coughing today, so I'll keep the support on till this stops. When I weighed in at the hospital yesterday afternoon, I had gained just under 3 lbs from the 11 lbs. i lost on the 2 week diet.
    However, this morning I weighed myself here at home and I've again lost those 3 lbs and a couple more! Yea! It's taking me a little longer to bounce back than I expected, but it's been over 10 years since my laparoscopic gall bladder removal. So perhaps the extra mileage (age) is affecting this. I did come home with a drain, which will be removed on Tuesday, July 19th. Another hurdle! All in all, glad to be home and mending and looking forward to watching my weight over the next few weeks, and also to see the addition of cottage cheese and soft scrambled eggs in my diet later on. The insurance company has been surprisingly nice too, I guess I expected the worst. I hope you'll be able to get the surgery you want. Please write back and let me know how everything is going for you... K

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    11/23/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Gabrielsen
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 48 Times
    Blog Entries

Hey Kim - glad you are feeling a little better, each day will get easier. And guess what? I also go to Geisinger in Danville, i wonder if we were ever in a support group together? I hope I get Dr. Gabrielsen, since you liked him so much. It's good to hear stories from people who have had doctors. Next month, August, is my 6th month, and I am suppose to meet with the surgeon sometime after that. Is it long after until the actual surgery? I didn't get my psych yet, they are pretty busy, and will try to get me in august. It's a waiting game with the insurance I guess. I suspect that i will not know if it is covered until i meet with the surgeon and they write to the insurance for the approval. Keep up with the protein and positive thoughts!! You are thought of, and best wishes are sent your way. Everyday inches you closer to a brighter tomorrow Talk to you soon

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    11/23/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Gabrielsen
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 48 Times
    Blog Entries

How have you been doing? Hope you are well and feeling better every day!!!! I am in my sixth month, and will see the PA on Sept 2nd, and she will set a date to meet with the surgeon. I will be having Dr. Gabrielson. The PA said he is really good. They are pretty backed up though, and it could be 8-10 weeks until surgery because the only have 3 surgeons now. They hired another who will start in Sept. Hope all is well!!

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Kim Hess
    Surgery date
    07/11/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Jon Gabrielsen
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times

Good morning and congratulations! I'm glad everything is positively moving along for you.
    One month plus one day surgery anniversary today! I've had a little trouble getting my protein and liquids in, anything that contains artificial sweeteners is totally abhorrent to me, and I can't get it down. The excellent news is that last night I was able to eat a small amount of Lactaid cottage cheese, and it was wonderful... especially after six weeks of mostly liquids!! Today I will try scrambled eggs! I seem to be in the minority of people who still have pain at one month post surgery, but I'm sure that will improve with each day. And the best news of all... as of today I am down 35 lbs. from my highest ever weight (my weight crept up to this high point again right before starting my liquid diet)! I wouldn't say this has been an easy journey, but I am so grateful to be finally watching the scale go down, and keep going down... instead of swinging up and down a few lbs. each week. Please keep in touch and let me know how you are progressing!
    Take care and good luck with your upcoming appointments! Feel free to ask me questions anytime...

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    11/23/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Gabrielsen
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 48 Times
    Blog Entries

Wonderful to hear your good news!!!! That is awesome!! I picked Dr. Gabrielsen for my surgeon as well. I guess I will get a date to meet with him. My weight keeps fluctuating whenever i go for my weigh in. I have green lights in everything, except psych. She says I need to relieve stress. I have a yellow light. Funny thing is that I am a licensed professional counselor, go figure. I did everything she asked, now I have to contact her by email or phone to get my green light. I am excited to hopefully get a date soon. How did the eggs go? Were you able to tolerate them? I think I may have difficulty with getting all the protein shakes in. Did you find any you really like? Sorry about all the questions. It was great hearing from you. Hope to keep in touch. You are doing great with your weight loss!!!

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    11/23/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Gabrielsen
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 48 Times
    Blog Entries

Hi Kim! I finally got my surgery date...November 23rd, the day before thanksgiving! Anyway, the hospital is not sure if my surgery will be covered by the insurance because it is not a 2 part procedure. I am so sick I could just throw up. After all these months! I hope Dr. Gabrielsen will write a letter on my behalf. I cannot have the bypass due to Irritable bowel. This is just horrible. I hope you are doing well. How are you feeling? Well, I better get back to worrying...... have a great night!!
    Kathleen

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Kim Hess
    Surgery date
    07/11/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Jon Gabrielsen
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times

Hi Kathleen,
    Been away from the forum for a bit. I'm so glad you have your surgery date. Insurance did pay for my surgery, so I hope you will also have good fortune. I've had a bit of a rough ride since my surgery, had quite a lot of stomach pain afterward, they said I have mild gastritis and an ulcer. If this has been mild gastritis, I truly feel for anyone who has had worse! I think it's slowly improving, but I can't eat or drink the amounts they want me to. While this aspect has been trying, I have lost about 60+ lbs. from my highest ever weight, and am grateful for that at least. I find sweets almost impossible to eat, as they cause nausea... so it's difficult for me to drink the protein shake that I used to like. I'll try to keep you posted. If I had known it was going to be this difficult afterward, I might have been a little more hesitant... but I think I would have done it anyway. From the research I've done, it seems that I'm in the minority of people who have troubles after sleeve surgery. I hope all will go well for you, and please write back. Kind regards, Kim
    P.S. I also have irritable bowel, plus fatty liver, thyroid disease, sleep apnea, etc. The apnea seems to have improved greatly, hoping that is true for the fatty liver too.