Surgeon
    Dr. Soong
    Last Activity
    08-10-2013 07:59 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times

Unhappy Contemplating Sleeve Surgery

Hi all. Michael here. im contemplating sleeve surgery. im 29 i have high blood pressure that i am on medication for and about every 8-12 months i get hospitalized for celliltis and staff infection which they are saying is part of the over weight thing. when i was younger i was tall and lean with an athletic build. when i turned 18 i was a passenger in an accident where i broke my femur. they inserted a rod and screws into my leg and was bed ridden for about 10 months. my body changed and was never the same. i got super heavy and no matter what i ate or how much i gained and gained. when healing was done, i had to roll out of bed. i was then 6'5 and over 500 lbs. before that i was 6'5 and 210 lean and solid muscle. i was apalled and depressed and worked out and got down to my lowest weight which was 385. smaller, and settling into this new body and lifestyle. since healing the leg i have always been active. i am a performer and started dancing and doing musical theatre again. there are limitations but at least i can still do the things i love. then i was diagnosed with high blood pressure and all that jazz. he put me on bp meds and weight loss pills to curb my appetite. with the pills i am now down 25 pounds at my current weight of 360. im not seeing any real change in my body but friends and family say they do. i think theyre being kind. the doc wants me to get down to 230 or so. he has recommended sleeve and the more i read online the more nervous im getting. i would love to have the procedure and lose a ton of weight and be happy and healthy. but something in my head is saying its not going to work that way. im starting to get super scared. i want to lose the weight and hit the target set by my doctor but here are my worries..... 1 i really dont like the fact that i will have multiple inscisons on my body.... How many do they make? are they ugly bumped up scars? if i get thin again, is that going to be one more thing why i dont want to take my shirt off at the beach or pool? because i feel like the scars will be a constant reminder of the betrayl by my body and my failure to get it back under control. 2. will i get thin again with this surgery? will i be able to achieve a flat stomach? 3. rapid weight loss due to these surgeries usually entails the excess skin factor.... will that tighten up and go away? or do i have to have surgery again and add more hideous scars to my body to get rid of it? 4. once i start losing the weight and work out hard to achieve the body i want, with the sleeve will i be able to intake the calories needed to work out so hard? this is irreversable and permanent. does eating like a bird work for someone like me? i have tons of questions and fears. but i feel like im stuck in a catch 22. i need to lose the weight to save my life. but at what cost? sorry this turned into a rant but im pertrified even after writing this....

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member vickybeads's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Victoria
    Surgery date
    11/19/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr Stewart, Denton TX
    Last Activity
    11-09-2015 08:48 AM
    Said "Thanks" 112 Times
    Was Thanked 100 Times in 96 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 146 Times

Default Re: Contemplating Sleeve Surgery

Costumeguy ~ we've all been there and had the same questions. You have to decide if your health and happiness are worth the permanent changes. Right now it doesn't sound like your head is where it needs to be.

The doctor will make 6 very small (3/4 to 1.5 inch) incisions in your belly for all the equipment. I went online to ORLive, Inc.: Online Surgical and Healthcare Video and Webcasts and watched a couple of the surgeries being done. Not for the squeamish, but I wanted to know what I was getting into. I still went through with it and wouldn't change a thing.

I had surgery on the 19th of November, and as of this morning I am down 60 lbs. I'm not the best at sticking with a healthy lifestyle and I definately do not do any extra exercise, but I am happy with what is going on. Do I have a flat belly, only when I lay down . I still have to watch what I eat because my tummy lets me know if it's not happy, which is a good thing.

As a dancer/actor, you would have to make sure you got in extra protein, but I think it can be done. You have discipline and that's important.

It is a lifelong committment and there are permanent changes to your diet, but you can do it.

I think you'll find the majority of people on this group would agree, we love/like our sleeves and the health benefits we've gotten from it. We wouldn't change a thing.

The very first thing you need to do is get your head into the discussion and decide what is more important to you. Once you have your head on board, it will make it easier. It's the hardest part to get around the success of your surgery.

Best of luck. Keep us posted on what you decide.

Cheers.
    <small>
    MyFitnessPal - Nutrition Facts For Foods</small>
    GOAL! Woo hoo! Now to maintain, or maybe add a few!
    Last Weigh-in: 1/13/15, 136.4
    Next Weigh-in: 1/19/15

Gastric Sleeve Member LagunaLucy's Avatar
    I have not had a gastric sleeve.
    Said "Thanks" 9 Times
    Was Thanked 48 Times in 44 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 982 Times
    Blog Entries

There are different procedures out there. Mine will be done using the DaVinci Spider method and will be scarless meaning the incision will be inside my belly button.

I have been a member of this website since early May when I was in your shoes considering the best options and or what I should do since at my age, 56 I am sick and tired of the repercussions of dealing with past health issues and surgeries...

My suggestion would be to begin the process, its not a quick one as there are many tests and evaluations taken. However if your PCP is recommending the procedure, it's one that none have had any regrets with and a wonderful lifestyle change that will certainly have rewards.

Best to you on your journey!

The intellect has little to do with the road to discovery. There comes a leap of consciousness, call it intuition or what you will, and the solution comes to you and you don't know why or how.

Last Activity
    04-10-2016 07:32 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2 Times
    Blog Entries

500 pounds, and you're worried about five little scars c'mon man you need to do something, or your next decision will be burial or cremation. As far scars go, say you stabbed five times by a jealous husband.

Gastric Sleeve Member jennie from the block's Avatar
    Name
    Jennie
    Surgery date
    06/13/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr Potter
    Last Activity
    05-01-2015 06:08 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 10 Times

Michael
    you have a lot to think about, as for your questions you should speak to your pcp or have a consult with the surgeon and discuss with him/her. You have to want this for you and for your health and for no other reason. the day of my surgery my sister asked if I was scared, I wasn't scared, it was something I wanted and waited 8 months for going through group behavioral med meetings, nutrition appts and so on. I am just over a week post op and feel great.

7. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Surgery date
    08/27/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Jeffery Allen
    Last Activity
    04-08-2015 10:50 AM
    Said "Thanks" 4 Times
    Was Thanked 122 Times in 115 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 370 Times
    Blog Entries

You have to ask yourself if being healthy is more important than a few scars? If I win my battle I will proudly "show off" my battle scars. But then I am also 50 and not 29. You have a long life to live and being overweight makes it hard. Best of luck to you.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    06/17/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr De La Cruz
    Last Activity
    12-31-2023 02:28 PM
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times
    Was Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Michael

I had my sleeve done last Monday.

I had been thinking of doing it for 3 years and Doctors told me to do it 5 years ago .

I even made an appointment with the surgeon 2 years ago and canceled.

I am 51 years old with diabetes,high blood pressure,cholesterol,heart disease,bad back and a BMI of 38.

I was scared of the surgery due to the anesthesia .

Boy was I an idiot.

At the moment you are young enough to think that you do not need it.

But for me the day they rolled me out of surgery the diabetes has gone and so has a lot of my other ailments.

I wished I had done it years ago,just for the diabetes alone.

Take your time and research it and when you are ready you will do it.

I hope this helps.

All the best to you.

Surgery date
    06/12/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr.d.davey
    Last Activity
    03-26-2014 12:51 AM
    Said "Thanks" 4 Times
    Was Thanked 12 Times in 11 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 16 Times
    Blog Entries

I agree with what Matthewsiv said. Research research research, the Internet awesome and has great information. You can find out everything you need to know from pre-op diet to post op everything. Hair loss may happen, protein deficiency etc.. There are probably way more pluses than minuses though. Look at your family history also , if you keep the weight on are there other treats like diabetes and heart problems waiting for you? You are the only one who can decide for yourself what kind of future you want to have. Compile all your information and be informed, this is Not an easy fix it takes lots of determination and discipline. Good luck to you in your weight loss journey.

Start weight 274
    Highest weight ? 298
    Height 5'4 1/2" (that half inch is important)
    Bmi start 46.3
    Bmi now 38.5
    First goal under 200 yahoo! Sept 30/13 198lbs
    Second goal. bmi under 29= 171lbs
    Third goal bmi under 25 = 147lbs. final GOAL!!

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    08/23/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Curtis Peery
    Last Activity
    05-11-2019 12:07 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 18 Times in 16 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 10 Times
    Blog Entries

I am 10 months out and the scars are not noticeable at all - in fact I have to look to find them. So the scaring issue is a non-issue as far as I am concerned. I spent my entire adult life overweight and the sleeve was exactly what I needed to become the best me possible. I am down 90 pounds and below my goal weight - I walk 10,000 steps a day for exercise - I take NO meds at all and I am 62 years old. I have never regretted the sleeve for one second but there are some things that take patience and dedication - especially not drinking for a half hour before or after eating - that is really hard, esp. when out to eat and everyone else has a beverage. But this is so small in the bigger picture which is a normal weight and BMI and one's health. My advice is to do it - no more excuses. Get your life back and carry on with your dreams.

Surgery date
    05/10/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Donald Schwab
    Last Activity
    06-13-2016 02:14 PM
    Said "Thanks" 25 Times
    Was Thanked 274 Times in 246 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 5,770 Times
    Blog Entries

I was sleeved in May and I had a total of 5 incistions. Three of them are barely noticeable already, the other two are about an inch long. They do not stop me from taking my shirt off right now at the pool. As for getting in enouch food to be active we have members on here that run half marathons so I dont think it will be a problem.

What you need to ask yourself right now is do you want to do the things you love for 10 years or for 30. You have your first co-morbidity and you are only 29. You can rest to sure that there are many more to come. You have this procedure and you cant always reverse damage but you can prevent further damage.
    LIFE is NOT a Spectator SPORT!!

Highest weight ----343 lbs 2008
    First Consult weight--288 lbs 3/10/13
    Surgical weight ---266 lbs 5/10/13
    Lowest adult weight 237 lbs 12/03/13

Gastric Sleeve Member vickybeads's Avatar
    Name
    Victoria
    Surgery date
    11/19/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr Stewart, Denton TX
    Last Activity
    11-09-2015 08:48 AM
    Said "Thanks" 112 Times
    Was Thanked 100 Times in 96 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 146 Times

Jingles - my NUT says I can drink, but have to wait 15 mins before eating after that. Still have to wait 1/2 hour AFTER eating to drink, but I can live with that! Great job!
    <small>
    MyFitnessPal - Nutrition Facts For Foods</small>
    GOAL! Woo hoo! Now to maintain, or maybe add a few!
    Last Weigh-in: 1/13/15, 136.4
    Next Weigh-in: 1/19/15

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Michael
    Surgery date
    12/05/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Soong
    Last Activity
    08-10-2013 07:59 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times

i am not currently 500 pounds. but i was at one time. i am currently 353.