Dr. Ariel Ortiz
    Last Activity
    03-19-2014 08:57 PM
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 64 Times in 57 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 23 Times
    Blog Entries

Default What was this...what happened...a bit graphic

Many of my friends out here on Gastric Sleeve know I did a mini-trip the past few days back to my home-town of Providence Rhode Island. My sister, who I picked up in New Jersey (after I flew into LaGuardia Airport NYC and picked up a rental car) came with me. I try completing a trip to see my few living aunts/uncles, etc once a year or so. Most of them are my father's only living relatives and they are quite old and infirmed in nursing homes and/or assisted livings. I also always manage a visit with one of my BEST friends and his wife...a childhood friend...George...we've been buddies since we were 12 years old or so....visited the gravesites of my parents, etc.

Well...this is the first time I've been away from home since having surgery in Tijuana on 4/2/13. I traveled home from Tijuana alone and I thought that was hard enough but I did some food and beverage planning this time.

I already wasn't feeling right (stomach-wise) this one morning but pushed my thoughts aside. So, rushing around I picked up a small coffee with 1/2 tsp milk at Dunkin' Donuts along with a tuna wrap. Ate three teaspoons of the tuna only...tossed the tomato, lettuce, wrap, etc. There was some mayo on the tuna (I've not used mayonnaise, just Miracle Whip) but not a lot.

About one hour later, while pulling up to our first nursing home visit of the day, I knew I was gonna be ill. Tried quickly ambling to the lobby public restrooms but I just couldn't make it.

HORRIFIED...about 20 feet from the main door, my BOWELS LET LOOSE like I've NEVER experienced...first brown water...lots of it...then a brick (and I mean a huge, hard-ish brick) of stool came out...more water. Horrified, my sister and I stood there stunned.

The rest was a nightmare. Panic stricken, no one would help us. I cleaned up as much sidewalk stool as I could manage, given what few supplies we had in the car. Then, my sister and I raced to find either a self-service car wash, or an outdoor, filthy-skanky gas station restroom, so I CAN BEGIN CLEANING UP! FORTUNATELY, Rhode Island still has some full-service gas stations with outdoor restrooms.

You get the picture. Tossed all my clothes (yup...I DID ride...UGGGHHHH...to a Dollar Store with just paper towels over me-embarrassed...CAN YOU BELIEVE IT???) and my sister and I spent the remainder of the day cleaning me up first, then the rental car

WHAT HAPPENED TO ME????? Did something make me ill? Was this DUMPING SYNDROME???

I know I've gotta talk to my PCP about getting myself more regulated.

SORRY for being so graphic! Has ANYONE ELSE had this?????

MORTIFIED and AFRAID TO BE FAR FROM A RESTROOM NOW!!!!!

THANKS for reading this (If you made it this far).

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member Foxy'smom's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    05/10/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Last Activity
    11-13-2014 06:39 PM
    Said "Thanks" 7 Times
    Was Thanked 15 Times in 15 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 137 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: What was this...what happened...a bit graphic

That sounds like a horrible experience. I'm sorry that happened to you. I have not experienced anything like that.

Name
    Jill
    Surgery date
    10/22/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Oliak
    Said "Thanks" 145 Times
    Was Thanked 569 Times in 561 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 195 Times

Oh my goodness I'm so sorry to hear this, that must have been horrible. No explanations from me tho, I'm sure someone will chime in w/some thoughts.

Start weight: 286 (8/28/12)
    Pre-op weight: 272 (10/22/12)
    Goal to weigh what my drivers license says: 225 (3/9/13)
    First goal weight: 199 (7/20/13)
    Second goal weight: 186 - 100 lbs lost ( )
    Third goal weight: 175 ( )
    Fourth goal weight: 150 ( )
    Final goal weight: remains to be seen

Gastric Sleeve Member shortnsweet24's Avatar
    Name
    Mandy
    Surgery date
    03/15/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr Kemmerling
    Last Activity
    02-02-2014 07:52 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 36 Times in 35 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 28 Times

That does sound like dumping syndrome - not as common with the sleeve but some still experience it. I haven't had that experience but if it makes you feel any better Al Roker had a similar incident at the White House - at least you weren't at the White House?

Surgery date
    10/19/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr Ramos Kelly
    Last Activity
    04-18-2015 09:04 AM
    Said "Thanks" 46 Times
    Was Thanked 419 Times in 405 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 5,435 Times
    Blog Entries

I am so sorry to hear about this.

When was your previous bowel movement? Was it normal (for you)?

7. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member iamredforever's Avatar
    Name
    Rona
    Surgery date
    03/04/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ben-Meir
    Last Activity
    10-21-2015 12:46 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times
    Blog Entries

I have had something similar happen to me a few times. I was lucky to be near a bathroom. It is like an explosion, with very little warning. I noticed that this happens when I eat something I am not used to. So I only eat new things at home or somewhere close to a bathroom. I am so sorry this happened to you. They say this should not happen when you have the sleeve but I know different. I did notice that it happened when I ate lettuce or vegetables. So I stick to protein most times. You are not alone.

Surgery date
    04/08/2013
    Surgeon
    Sidney Hu
    Last Activity
    06-09-2014 08:25 PM
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 23 Times in 20 Posts

I am really sorry you had to go through this! I have had some urgent, run to the bathroom moments, but I think it is because I had my gallbladder taken out when my sleeve was done. It has gotten better, and the only thing that causes it now is greasy food.

I hope you get some good answers and find a way to avoid this in the future. {{{hugs}}}

Surgery date
    07/12/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr Justin Greenslade
    Last Activity
    04-23-2014 02:09 AM
    Said "Thanks" 8 Times
    Was Thanked 107 Times in 93 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 117 Times
    Blog Entries

god you poor thing! im so damn sorry, but I've not had this experience to be honest, I just felt so bad for you that I had to give you my support, be glad that you didn't know anyone and they don't know you. thirty years from now maybe you can laugh about it but right now you have my utmost sympathy and yes it sounds a lot like dumping syndrome to me too.

Gastric Sleeve Member CidCherise's Avatar
    Name
    Cherise
    Surgery date
    05/22/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Brad Watkins
    Last Activity
    08-28-2014 06:59 AM
    Said "Thanks" 8 Times
    Was Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts

Yep, I will step up and say, that has happened to me. Thankfully, I was in my own home and had my shower to jump into and my washer within a few feet. I was horrified it happened to me at home, I can only offer my condolences that it happened to you out in the public. Thank God, (seriously, thanking the Big Guy) you had your sister with you to help with the clean up. This happened to me after I tried something new, although it was the next morning from me trying it the night before. I would dare to say, the tuna and mayo didn't set well with your new tummy. I will always travel with an extra set of clothes and baby wipes since my tummy seems to be fickle! You might want to as well.

I'm assuming what we experienced is a dumping syndrome moment, I prefer to call it a "tummy tantrum". Good luck and be aware of what goes in and where you are when it does

214 First day of liquid diet (heaviest) 5/6/13
    199 Onederland! 5/19/13
    196 Day of Surgery 5/22/13
    190 First Goal weight 6/2/13
    170 Second Goal weight 8/26/13
    150 Third Goal weight
    135 Last Goal weight.. someday (weight the day I met my husband)

Name
    Toni Lee
    Surgery date
    04/02/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ariel Ortiz
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Blog Entries

WoW...you all are so GREAT! I felt so so so stupid posting such GRAPHIC details about my incident by I only know I can turn here for help, support and no sense of embarrassment. I'll ask my PCP on Monday but it DOES sound a lot like Dumping Syndrome. I guess now I know this might happens 1) when trying new foods not previously re-introduced, 2) with dis-allowed foods (that may be too rich or fatty), 3) with too much of some type of the "wrong" food that quickly makes it's way through the tummy and into the small intestine.

I also have to talk to my PCP about getting more "regular." Trying to increase my fluid intake to 64 ozs daily. UGGGGHHHH. What an experience.

Poor Al Roker!!!

Thank you everyone for the help! I'm DEFINITELY gonna stick with primarily protein (which I do anyhow) and "tried 'n true" foods (been doing great with ALL types of fish...shrimp, cod, scrod, scallops, lobster) whenever I'm out and about. I also like the idea of carrying a change of clothes and cleaning goods around with me in the car...GREAT IDEAS everyone! THANKS AGAIN!

Gastric Sleeve Member nana banana's Avatar
    Surgery date
    03/26/2014
    Last Activity
    07-04-2014 09:28 PM
    Said "Thanks" 43 Times
    Was Thanked 38 Times in 37 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 275 Times

You poor thing. I'm going to remember some of the advice you've gotten. I wonder if it was the mayo. Yeah for having the group to turn to!

Gastric Sleeve Member dawnbarnard's Avatar
    Name
    Dawn
    Surgery date
    04/02/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Fernando Garcia
    Last Activity
    05-15-2014 10:23 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 24 Times in 14 Posts
    Blog Entries

Toni - something similar happened to me BEFORE my surgery - twice to be exact. Once I was on my way to a Halloween Costume Party. I was a kitty cat and at least I was a black cat. I "scampered" off to my house in tears and changed into a black angel. LOL. Then another time while I was hiking - about 2 miles out from civilization. Yeah. Fun. Not. Hang in there friend. I've been trying to call you but I know now that you were out of town. I had you on my mind and wanted to check in. I hope all is well now!

Name
    Jen
    Surgery date
    05/10/2013
    Surgeon
    Jon Armstrong
    Last Activity
    04-06-2015 05:35 AM
    Said "Thanks" 331 Times
    Was Thanked 252 Times in 241 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 4,922 Times
    Blog Entries

Yep - happened to me 2 days ago. Egg is what did me in and perhaps the common thing between your experience and mine was the mayo.
    Seriously, I really feel for you - that would have been such a disturbing thing for you both to have happen.
    My experience - homemade egg salad, nausea all afternoon, no inkling that I'd vomit or anything else, until I started to walk home. I got about a block away and I knew it was going to be a close finish. Thankfully it was dark and thankfully I was heading home where I have a loo on the ground floor just near the front door. It all 'happened' as I put my key in the lock. Thankfully wearing pants, thankfully able to skittle sideways like a crab to the loo in about 5 steps and thankfully the floor is tiled and thankfully the laundry is the next room along. Got myself sorted, clothes in the wash - everything, tops, bottoms, jacket, everything to be washed and marched upstairs buck naked to have a shower.
    It's a nasty business when something doesn't agree with you. I don't think it is dumping syndrome - but I do think that whatever it is that doesn't agree with us finds its way out quickly.
    Highest weight ever - 108kgs, Surgery weight -101kgs, Goal weight - 65kgs

Name
    Toni Lee
    Surgery date
    04/02/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ariel Ortiz
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Blog Entries

I'm actually a bit surprised that this "situation" has happened to a few of us here (who have posted). Gotta wonder how many others it has happened to, as well. Nasty, awful feeling.

Seems like we should have been warned-smile.

I feel like I should start wearing diapers or Adult Pampers

Name
    Toni Lee
    Surgery date
    04/02/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ariel Ortiz
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dawnbarnard View Post
    Toni - something similar happened to me BEFORE my surgery - twice to be exact. Once I was on my way to a Halloween Costume Party. I was a kitty cat and at least I was a black cat. I "scampered" off to my house in tears and changed into a black angel. LOL. Then another time while I was hiking - about 2 miles out from civilization. Yeah. Fun. Not. Hang in there friend. I've been trying to call you but I know now that you were out of town. I had you on my mind and wanted to check in. I hope all is well now!
    LOOK AT YOU!!!!! You're losing weight fast, girl! You go, friend! Hey, John told me he spoke with you during my sojourn. We gotta catch up soon. Miss you and love you!