Surgeon
    Dr. Helbling
    Last Activity
    11-18-2013 08:42 PM
    Said "Thanks" 219 Times
    Was Thanked 186 Times in 173 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 301 Times

Default Checking In and Rambling

It's been a long time since I've posted on here, and I guess I kind of feel like it's tim again. I don't recognize most of the names I see on the forums anymore, and that's kind of weird because when I was first researching and then had the surgery, this was my life-line and I pretty much knew everyone. It's kind of sad too, because I see people struggling with ALL the same things that I (and the rest of my cohorts at the time) did. Anyway, I digress..

I had my sleeve surgery on December 8, 2011. That's a day I will never forget because it changed my life. I had overblown expectations when I had my surgery.. namely that I would loose 100 pounds in 6 months, I would be at goal in a year, I would only ever eat a tiny amount, snacking on bad things would go away, and I would never be hungry again! Oh I know, I too kept telling myself "it's only a tool and I have to change me," and "My expectations are reasonable." For those of you who are currently sitting in a stall or who are feeling like you aren't going to ever make it, let me tell you that your expectations may not have been wholly realistic. Yes, some people do lose very very quickly, and actually I lost very quickly at first too- I dropped from 327 to 260ish in a matter of maybe four or five months. That's a HUGE amount of weight, and really it was kind of hard on my body, but it did get the jumpstart and provide motivaiton to keep going.

As of this morning I weigh 205. I'm only 5 pounds from onederland! Even two years ago, I certainly never thought I'd see that again. I am wearing a size 16, and when I started this I was in a 26 and kind of pushing maximum limits for a 26. I kept a pair of jeans from those days and put them on every now and then just to marvel at the difference. Oh.. also towels! I have big towels that, at my heaviest, I couldn't wrap around me and now they nearly go twice! It's staggering. ...but it isn't fast. I'm still losing weight. I don't work out as much as I should, but I do make a point to go walking and ride my bike. I have way more energy and am more inclined to just go do things than I was before. I still stall for months on end, but then I'll wake up one day, like today, and find that I've lost 4 pounds. I consider 1-2 pounds a month to be pretty good. Not so much because I'm completely satisfied with that, but rather because I know that I'm still losing and I'm not having to live off of shakes anymore.

I know my sleeve is bigger that it was at first, but 3-4 oz of meat with about 1/2 c of veggies will still fill me up and keep me going for awhile. I'm not always good about it though, and I've discovered some things that I thought I would share:
    1) chips (of any kind) go down real easy! Stay away! I occasionally treat myself with Beanitos chips, but I have to watch it
    2) I can eat a LOT of shrimp, but they are very low cal and low fat, so I don't worry about it
    3) soup is NOT your friend once you're past the healing stage. I've discovered that anything mushy or liquidy goes down fast and I can eat far more of it than anything else. It's best to stick to more dense foods in order to feel full.
    4) snacking can easily become a habit that leads to grazing. Even though the amount of food I can eat at any given time remains low, there are ways to defeat the sleeve and snacking/grazing is one of the things that I have to work on every day.
    5) the scale doesn't mean very much. I know, I still weigh myself and sometimes get judgey about it, but honestly what matters is how you feel every day and the changes in your body. Those of you who are early out of surgery and weigh yourself every day.. when you feel yourself start to get to the point where the scale is affecting your mood, please work on breaking that obsession. Once a week at most!
    6) work on yourself every day. What I mean by that is that every day you are still you. You still have the same tendencies and habits. Work on them every day! It's easy when you are post-op for the first six months or so, but once you are further out you will notice old habits start to creep back in. Be aware of what you are doing!

I think I've rambled enough. I just wanted to check in and say hi!

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member Harley Granny's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Sue
    Surgery date
    05/29/2013
    Surgeon
    Jawad
    Last Activity
    01-13-2014 09:05 AM
    Said "Thanks" 97 Times
    Was Thanked 324 Times in 312 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 607 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Checking In and Rambling

Thank you so much for checking in! It really helps when the long time sleevers come and tell us new losers their stories!

Surgery date
    06/20/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Nihalani
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 122 Times in 119 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3,878 Times

I turly LOVED your rambling!!!! Thank you so much for sharing your journey. I think it is important to set very realistic goals as well. When I had my lap band put in 2 1/2 years ago, I thought I would lose all of my weight in a short amount of time and be done with this weight issue once and for all....But, it seems that my reality wasn't what reality really was. Ultimately, I ended up with so many health problems because of the issues I had with the band, I put back more than half of the weight I lost. I finally had my band removed on April 25 and now I'm two weeks away from being sleeved and beleive me, I am going into this with my eyes WIDE open this go around! Your testimony shows that all things are possible with time, patience, and a shift in our own expectations!

Thank you again for sharing so much of yourself and don't be a stranger!!! There are plenty of new people (myself included) who can benefit from your wisdom!!
    Warm regards,

KB

Name
    Angela Butt
    Surgery date
    05/15/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr Jose Guadaloupe-Rodruguez
    Last Activity
    03-05-2021 12:37 PM
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times
    Was Thanked 53 Times in 46 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 91 Times
    Blog Entries

Thank you for this!

Gastric Sleeve Member Socaldixiegal's Avatar
    Surgery date
    02/11/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ariel Ortiz
    Last Activity
    01-04-2017 01:33 PM
    Said "Thanks" 4 Times
    Was Thanked 177 Times in 156 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3 Times

Thank you! I'm also a band revision and learned a lot from having the band but it's even more real now with the sleeve. Totally agree about expectations and so glad you shared your thoughts.

Starting weight for lap-band = 252
    miserable 5 years later
    Starting weight for VSG = 229
    Pre-op weight = 219

7. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Name
    Maia
    Surgery date
    03/25/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Randall Baker
    Said "Thanks" 28 Times
    Was Thanked 54 Times in 52 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 4,758 Times
    Blog Entries

Thank you for an amazing share. I am 10 weeks out and you addressed almost every one of my concerns and I thank you for it. Congrats on your current and continued success.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    05/08/2013
    Surgeon
    Ramesh Ramanathan
    Last Activity
    10-14-2014 08:34 AM
    Said "Thanks" 23 Times
    Was Thanked 62 Times in 61 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 117 Times

Can't thank you enough for this post!

Gastric Sleeve Member jerzeygirl's Avatar
    Surgery date
    07/20/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Louis Balsama
    Last Activity
    01-22-2020 03:10 PM
    Said "Thanks" 166 Times
    Was Thanked 924 Times in 694 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 485 Times
    Blog Entries

"Long time, no see". So nice to know you're still around and doing well. I enjoyed your sharing of information, and agree with what you're saying. I think it helps the new people to see that even we "old-timer" have some difficulties, and that we have to be mindful about our road to success, and maintenance. You've always been an inspiration, and continue to share some great information. Continued success, and don't be a stranger.

Gastric Sleeve Member shaun27565's Avatar
    Name
    Shaun
    Surgery date
    05/02/2013
    Surgeon
    Dana Portenier
    Last Activity
    09-25-2014 07:12 PM
    Said "Thanks" 54 Times
    Was Thanked 17 Times in 16 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3,800 Times
    Blog Entries

Thank you I love this because its true at least for me this was very informative.

Name
    Rochelle Dean
    Surgeon
    Dr. Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    01-03-2019 08:31 AM
    Said "Thanks" 5 Times
    Was Thanked 78 Times in 61 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,197 Times
    Blog Entries

Thank you so much, I think I did have some unrealistic goals. Good to know going in so I can check myself and be more realistic at the outset.
    Thanks for posting.

Name
    Tami
    Surgeon
    Dr M. Hatter
    Last Activity
    04-07-2016 07:19 PM
    Said "Thanks" 35 Times
    Was Thanked 18 Times in 17 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 63 Times
    Blog Entries

I too have not been on here for awhile.. and this is the first post I've read. What a great way to start my day! You said it all exactly like it is! I think having all those unrealistic expectations are hard to overcome. I have been in a stall for several months.. ( my fault.. I don't eat enough protein or drink enough water) I also do not eat junk food, or graze. I do feel good and have a lot of energy! I haven't been this weight is years, and I am loving it. I would like to lose another 30lbs, but if I don't get there, I am still much healthier and happier than I have ever been, but I have to be careful not to become complacent about it. Anyway, I thank you so much for your post!!! Tami

Gastric Sleeve Member reading mom's Avatar
    Surgery date
    05/28/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr Borland
    Last Activity
    02-25-2015 06:40 AM
    Said "Thanks" 123 Times
    Was Thanked 218 Times in 210 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3,641 Times

Thank you so much! I hope you check in frequently and share your wisdom and experience! I'm taking it all to heart!

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    05/02/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Jason Harrison
    Last Activity
    07-10-2014 12:36 AM
    Said "Thanks" 90 Times
    Was Thanked 113 Times in 83 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 247 Times

Gwynn, I could have written this post! This is me exactly! I am a little farther out than you, even (surgery was May 2, 2011). I have been the same weight for months now, up and down about 5 pounds. I have said it on here before many times: if I never lost another pound, it would still be worth it: I am so much healthier and happier than I was 124 pounds ago! I exercise (not as regularly as I should), I can do things around the house or shop for hours without getting winded, and most importantly, I can get down on the floor and play with my grandbabies, and even get back up again!

Thanks for your post! It's good to see that a fellow long-timer has some of the same issues I have.

16. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    12/08/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Helbling
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 219 Times

Quote Originally Posted by jerzeygirl View Post
    "Long time, no see". So nice to know you're still around and doing well. I enjoyed your sharing of information, and agree with what you're saying. I think it helps the new people to see that even we "old-timer" have some difficulties, and that we have to be mindful about our road to success, and maintenance. You've always been an inspiration, and continue to share some great information. Continued success, and don't be a stranger.
    Hey! Good to see others are still around! You look amazing! I've decided I need to keep in touch with the community, even if it's only occasionally. Only other sleevers know and fully understand what we're dealing with, especially the mind part.

18. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    12/08/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Helbling
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 219 Times

Quote Originally Posted by RoDean View Post
    Thank you so much, I think I did have some unrealistic goals. Good to know going in so I can check myself and be more realistic at the outset.
    Thanks for posting.
    Good luck with your surgery! Just remember everyone is different and everyone can reach their goal but in their own time and their own way. I told myself I would never compare my progress with anyone else, but I ALWAYS did and it really hurt me mentally, especially when the loss started to slow down. I am much better now at just keeping pace with myself. I would like to lose about 50-60 more pounds, and I may get there, but even if I don't, I have smaller goals along the way that I fully intend to celebrate!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast