10/09/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Hugh Houston
    Last Activity
    10-29-2013 11:38 AM
    Said "Thanks" 34 Times
    Was Thanked 35 Times in 34 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2 Times

Default Is there an age requirement in order to have a Vertical Gastric Sleeve?

I have a niece who is 14 and she weighs at least 270. She doesn't want to ride the school bus because she is being made fun of and somedays refuses to go to school. Kids in School can be so cruel! She has seen my success and really wants to look into having this surgery. I imagine that each situation is diffrent, but I was wondering if anyone knew of a young teenager having this surgery. I know I wished that I could have had my sleeve when I was much, much younger!

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member marrington34610's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Melissa
    Surgery date
    03/25/2013
    Surgeon
    Gary Grinberg
    Last Activity
    05-13-2013 04:14 PM
    Citrus Heights, California, United States
    Said "Thanks" 43 Times
    Was Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Is there an age requirement in order to have a Vertical Gastric Sleeve?

I believe they do not operate on teenagers. I do think you have to be 18

4. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Mayflower's Avatar
    Surgery date
    03/17/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. VR
    Last Activity
    05-09-2013 05:33 AM
    Said "Thanks" 8 Times
    Was Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 4 Times

Default Re: Is there an age requirement in order to have a Vertical Gastric Sleeve?

I have read about 12 and 14 year olds operated on. It was highly successful on them too, as they get in the habit of eating intelligently from that young age. Much easier than older ppl to change eating habits,to stay till the end. You should really talk to the best doctor around to see what he/she thinks.

6. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member DImplez610's Avatar
    Name
    LaVonya
    Surgery date
    08/29/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Meireles
    Last Activity
    01-31-2017 05:34 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 15 Times in 14 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 6 Times
    Blog Entries

Yes, certain hospitals do operate on teens. Where do you live? I am getting Sleeved at Mass General Hospital in Boston and They have a special team specific to adolescent sleevers. There is probably somewhere in ur area that also does it. Look into it.

8. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member WaywardSmiles's Avatar
    Name
    TJ
    Surgery date
    04/08/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Boutt
    Last Activity
    06-28-2014 03:35 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 34 Times in 32 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 45 Times
    Blog Entries

Did she approach you about this? Do her parents know she is interested? Would they allow it? There are surgeons who will sleeve teens and preteens. (I came across success stories during my research). Does she have co-morbidities? First thing would be to check with her insurance provider to see if they have an age requirement. No point in getting her excited if she needed to wait for 2 years...if no age requirements, she needs to immediately get it on record with her family physician that she is trying to lose weight-how (calorie restriction and excercise) and why (self-esteem issues, health problems like high BP or prediabetes). Then follow through with insurance requirements (nutritionist/dietician for 3-6 months, psych eval, etc), but the weight thing with the doctors seems to be what we have all had to do. Best wishes to you both...
    I am 5'8" large frame

Heaviest: 314 pounds
    Night before surgery:301.2
    "Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, any one can start from now and make a brand new ending"-Carl Bard

10. Said thanks:

11. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    Last Activity
    11-18-2013 04:13 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Yes, I'm 15 and I'm going to be having VSG in december if everything goes how I planned. It all depends where you like, they do it in NYC, Cincinnati, Texas etc. You have to research places near you. being a teen myself I think its best if they have had failed diet attempts because if not it not likely for them to get it. Btw Im 15 I turn 16 in june 6ft tall and I'm 310 lbs and I'm on the border of having diabetes and I have high cholesterol. I make youtube video maybe they could watch me if they want to see how I'm going (Im pretty mature for my age so it might be boring lol :-]) my name is TeensNGastricSleeve on there

13. Said thanks:

Name
    Linny
    Surgery date
    01/16/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Sergio Quinones
    Last Activity
    05-24-2015 05:50 PM
    Said "Thanks" 5 Times
    Was Thanked 53 Times in 52 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 95 Times
    Blog Entries

I think Dr. Alvarez in MX operated on his young niece. The surgery could change the trajectory of her life... I cringe at how hard it will be if she stays where she is at or continues to gain. The weight will cripple her in so many ways & cut her life short. The only thing is that she will need a huge amount of support to change her lifestyle permanently. Otherwise it will not be a fix. She can still gain if she doesn't make the changes. Also, I'll bet her family is kind of a mess too. I don't mean to be critical, but because she is so young, someone must be providing the wrong kinds of foods for her to eat & not insisting that she exercise. That will need to be addressed also.

15. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Beverly
    Surgery date
    10/09/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Hugh Houston
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 34 Times

Thanks everyone! My niece called asked me about the surgery. My sister-in-law is going to check with their insurance to see what their requirements are. I advised her to hang out on this site to get a feel of what it is like both pre & post op. lyiona, I think she would be really interested in hearing your story. I plan to try and send her these responses and that may get her introduced to this site. Thanks, Beverly

Name
    Brigitte
    Surgery date
    08/24/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Said "Thanks" 159 Times
    Was Thanked 400 Times in 330 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 140 Times

There is a novel that my tweens and I have read that I highly recommend. The book is called "Skinny" by Donna Cooner, and it is about a teen that gets an RNY. Even though the sleeve is a different surgery, the book is still relevant.

Here is a link to a review:

Book Review: 'Skinny' by Donna Cooner : NPR

The book deals with the psychological impact of obesity and WLS. EXCELLENT book.
    Nov. 15/17 - re-sleeve, hiatal hernia repair, gallbladder removal with Dr. A. Lopez from AloBariatrics in Puerto Vallarta

Name
    Laurie
    Surgery date
    08/21/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Liao
    Last Activity
    07-15-2014 02:20 PM
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times
    Was Thanked 15 Times in 15 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times

Thanks Truffle. I just ordered it!

Pre-op weight: 208 (3/27/13)
    Day of Surgery: 203 (8/21/13)

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Beverly
    Surgery date
    10/09/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Hugh Houston
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 34 Times

Thanks. I will order for my niece. I am so glad there are options now for kids fighting obesity. Obesity has caused so much pain in people's life of all ages for way too long!