Surgeon
    Chris Edwards
    Last Activity
    04-08-2013 09:04 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default 3 Weeks post-op with regrets

I am new here. I had my procedure on March 11. Nothing has gone as I anticipated it would. I must say tonight, after a bad afternoon, I am having regrets. But it is not like I can have this reversed. So I have to learn to live with it and make it work for me.
    I know I don't get in enough protein. I hate yogurt and I hate cottage cheese. And I am so weary of drinking protein shakes that it almost makes me sick. I did progress this week to soft foods and have tried scrambled eggs. I can eat about 1/2 of an egg. My biggest problem is nausea. I have been wearing the patch to combat that. But everything makes me feel sick and I spit up a lot of food. I had an upper GI series done on Wednesday to rule out any issues with my sleeve. The tech said he did not see any problems, but I am waiting for confirmation of that from my surgeon. I tried to force myself to eat yogurt today (at the suggestion of my nutritionist), but it made me so sick and I went to bed for the afternoon - after I cancelled an hair appointment.
    I want this to be a positive life-changing event for me, but so far it's been a negative one. I have lost 25 pounds, but even that seems low compared to what I eat and the weight-loss. I am not a negative person, so this is hard on me.
    Suggestions?

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Julie
    Surgery date
    10/23/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Stephen Malley
    Last Activity
    03-19-2021 08:01 PM
    Said "Thanks" 128 Times
    Was Thanked 158 Times in 148 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2,246 Times

Default Re: 3 Weeks post-op with regrets

I agree that protein shakes get old after a while. By week 3 I was able to eat oatmeal, sugar free pudding, refried beans, jello, and other soft foods. Also, Unjury chicken soup is a good alternative to the shakes. Are you trying to eat very small portions (like 1/2 cup) at a time?

I am sorry you are having regrets. Hang in there. The first month to 6 weeks is tough. It DOES get better!
    Good luck to you.

Highest Weight 2001 - 282 lbs
    Lowest Weight 2002-2005 - 182 lbs
    Start pre-op diet - 266 lbs
    Officially Overweight with BMI of 29.7 on 5/4/13
    "Onderland" - July 20 - 198#

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    02/27/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Brad Watkins
    Last Activity
    09-24-2013 09:52 PM
    Said "Thanks" 12 Times
    Was Thanked 11 Times in 10 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 5 Times

I too struggled 3 weeks out. I couldn't do the "artificial protein" in shakes and had to get all protein by foods I ate. I was complete liquids for 4weeks and just transitioned to soft and mushy. My typical meals now are tuna (1can with plain yogurt, small amt of mayo, mustard, and dill) my tummy loves it. I couldn't do cottage cheese and ate yogurt only in smoothies or blended with something. I also could only tolerate Greek yogurt thinned with skim milk. Last night I just experimented with a healthier version of buffalo chicken dip with (can chicken, plain yogurt, small amt mayo, and small amount of buffalo sauce). I don't eat much but it awakens my taste buds.

Regarding Nausea, the patch didn't work for me but I was given zolfram (sp?) and it worked really well. Including an anti-acid to get rid of sme of the stomach acid build up. Once under control I could tolerate more things. i also found out i had to have my galbladder removed 3 weeks after my surgery. It was rough up until last week. But the regret passes when you find things that work. As you stated, this is not something that is reversible and we have to find a way to live with it,but when you do it is a world of good. Best wishes, hang in there it does get better.
    "Always remember you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think." ~ A.A. Milne (Winnie the Pooh)

Prep start: 319 (2/13/13) Surgery day: 297 (2/27/13) 1st week: 290 (3/6/2013) 1st month: 278 (3/27/13)
    2 mos: 265 (4/27/13), 3 mos: 259.8 (5/27/13),
    6 mos: - (8/27/13), 9 mos: - (11/27/13), 1 year: - (2/27/14)

Gastric Sleeve Member azothjulie's Avatar
    Name
    Julie
    Surgery date
    02/27/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr Raheb NMCP
    Last Activity
    07-25-2013 06:17 PM
    Said "Thanks" 58 Times
    Was Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,533 Times
    Blog Entries

I had my surgery the same day as Mooses Mama! I too had some issues eating and keeping certain foods down but the past week and half has changed dramatically! I even went out to eat with my family to Red Lobster and a Mexican food restaurant last weekend and was able to eat some shrimp my husband got with his meal plus a little salad. I find I can eat Tortilla chips with cheese and Salsa and it doesnt bother me at all. Before this last week and half I struggled to find things that would agree with my stomach and ended up vomiting several times when I tried the wrong food. I cannot tolerate the artificial sweeteners at all and I dont even drink the protein drinks anymore. I eat a scrambled egg for breakfast and a smoothie that I add some unflavored protein too. I can also eat Crackers (Club) with Babybel cheese on them without issues. I had to change the bottled water I drink cause the nestle one wasnt working. I can drink dasani and figi and my stomach doesnt protest!
    It is strange the little things my stomach does not like anymore but it is getting alot easier..so stick in there and I know you will be telling us soon that it has gotten better!
    Take Care
    Julie =)

Surgery date
    02/14/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Glascock
    Last Activity
    03-31-2015 09:47 PM
    Said "Thanks" 10 Times
    Was Thanked 55 Times in 54 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 585 Times

I'm sorry you're going through such a rough time! Hopefully your Dr. can give you something to reduce the nausea. I'm 7 weeks out and it does get better!! Promise!

7. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    03/21/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Vadura
    Last Activity
    04-04-2014 08:12 AM
    Said "Thanks" 43 Times
    Was Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts

What about any kind of puréed soups? They are a great way to get different flavor. Sorry your having such a hard time. Keep your chin up!

Surgery date
    09/26/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Sowemimo
    Last Activity
    01-10-2014 06:06 AM
    Said "Thanks" 4 Times
    Was Thanked 166 Times in 153 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 25 Times
    Blog Entries

Hang in there Debstar, I remember many a nights crying myself to sleep with regret. It does get better, a lot better. Now I can honestly say I have no regrets. I had my Surgery September 26, 2012, I've lost 80lbs. have 50 more to lose and I feel great. Hang in there, it does get better. Best of luck!

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Beverly
    Surgery date
    10/09/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Hugh Houston
    Last Activity
    10-29-2013 11:38 AM
    Said "Thanks" 34 Times
    Was Thanked 35 Times in 34 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2 Times

Debbie I am sorry to hear of your regrets. I also had a rough start. I would gag if I smelled the protein. So I started eating soft foods before recommended because. I was so afraid that I would lose all my hair if I didn't get the protein in. I eventually found out that I really didn't have to worry so much about my protein during the first 1-2 months because the body has a reserve to take care of us. The main concern is getting enough fluids. It is very easy for us to get dehydrated and that makes the nausea worse. My advice is to drink whatever taste good that is sugar free. Also,I loved sugar free Popsicles,jello, and bothy soups. I donor like yogurt of any kind . So my first foods. We're eggs with Miricle whip, tuna and applesauce, cheese. I also discovered Premier Shakes they have 30 g of Protien in 11 oz. they come in Chocolate and vanilla and can be bought from Costco and SAMs. To me they taste good. They don't smell like protein! I like to dilute with an ounce or two of skim milk. I also liked to add flavored Syrups like raspberry and hazelnut. On cold days I will heat in the MW for about 25 seconds just to slightly warm the drink and then add a big squirt of land of lakes whipped cream. Very satisfying! I don't know how I would have made it without them. I also had to learn to sip and take small bites or I would burp the food back up. I also had a lot of acid reflux and now take a omeprazole 40 mg morning and night as well Uricholine 50mg 3xd if needed. I only take 1 at night and as needed. The first month was a real learning curve on several fronts! But once I began to not worry so much and found foods that I liked it has been well worth it! Hang in there it gets much better. I have lost 70 pounds in almost 7 months! I still drink at least 1 premier shake a day. I can eat anything but I have to chew beef really well. I am now at the point where sometimes I am really hungry, but I think it is mostly head hunger. I can eat sweets all day long and never get full. So I really have to watch what I eat or I could gain it all back in 7 months. So this surgery isn't an easy out you will have to work the plan using your sleeve to give you a head start and making it a little easier to not over eat. Hang in there. I doubt that you will have regrets in a few more weeks. Stay on this forum it is a wonderful resource and support group!

Gastric Sleeve Member djssv0523's Avatar
    Surgery date
    02/13/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Samuel
    Last Activity
    06-13-2013 10:12 AM
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times
    Was Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 122 Times

sorry your having a hard time. my doc doesn't promote protein drinks. They want me to drink 8ounces of skin milk three times a day instead. Im supposed to eat three meals a day that includes protein and carbs to a total of 50 grams each. Try the skim milk and see if that helps. Im using soy light because milk is giving me the screaming squirts and hrrid gut pains. Good luck!

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    01/10/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Andrew Kramer
    Last Activity
    07-03-2014 08:59 PM
    Said "Thanks" 205 Times
    Was Thanked 42 Times in 40 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 654 Times

Sorry you are having such a rough time. Try putting your protein powder in sugar free pudding with fat free milk. That is the only way that I could do it. Hang in there it will get better.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Said "Thanks" 71 Times
    Was Thanked 96 Times in 89 Posts
    Blog Entries

I cried my 3 rd week and had regret also...I'm almost 9 weeks out...my eating is poor but drinking is good...I started last week on 2 shakes a day again...I can honestly say that it does get easier mentally...u adjust to a new lifestyle with the sleeve...just takes a bit of getting use to..gl

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Karen
    Surgery date
    11/02/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Husted
    Last Activity
    02-03-2014 11:01 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 13 Times in 11 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2 Times

Give it time. Your body is still healing and everyone heals at a diffrent rate. Go on-line to Bariatric choice they have a lot of soups, and hot chocolates (my favorite is the mint) that are high in protein. The hot drinks seemed to settle my stomach more in the early days. Proti hot chocolate has 15 grams of protein in it and you can sip it slowly and still get enough protein. Also, the peach nectar mixed with Minute Maid Just 15 peach is awesome. Stick to liquids a little longer if you need too, until you heal.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Debbie
    Surgery date
    03/11/2013
    Surgeon
    Chris Edwards
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times

I needed to hear that quote today. Thanks so much for the reminder.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Debbie
    Surgery date
    03/11/2013
    Surgeon
    Chris Edwards
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times

Thanks to everyone for your encouraging words. I feel better after reading your comments.

Gastric Sleeve Member doublerro's Avatar
    Surgery date
    06/03/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Quinones
    Last Activity
    06-20-2013 09:04 PM
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 4 Times

I don't know how you feel as I haven't had the procedure--but as everyone has said, hang in there. There is a HUGE adjustment for ANY one's body---skinny or heavy---your body is probably just like, OMG---what's happening? The thing is though--you did it-----think of where you will be a year from now? All the pain will be a thing of the past--you'll have the hang of the eating down---a new wardrobe--new energy---new everything. No more carrying around the emotional pain that is often more painful than anything phyiscal. Keep your head up