Surgeon
    Dr. Ortiz
    Last Activity
    06-15-2013 02:53 PM
    Said "Thanks" 7 Times
    Was Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Packing! oh and Cell Charges Question!!

Quick question, did yall have extra cell charges when you used your phones in Mexico? I know I had them when I was in Canada but I wasn't so close to the boarder. I didn't know if I would be close enough in TJ that it wouldn't happen. I want to call and inform everyone but I also don't want to run up my bill. If worse comes to worse I'll use my points and get hotel internet and skype.

Doing laundry, packing and starting my cleanse. I am praying that part will be ummm settled shall we say by the time I fly. Got some soup powder, I got the hot and spicy soup bowl chicken flavor from the dollar store and just took the packets. I have my protein shots (yuck!) and crystal light packets. Heading out to get a instant charger for my nook as I know it will die on the cross country flight. They totally need chargers on airplanes I would actually pay for that service. I am only packing jammy type clothes I figure the one flying outfit will do if I want to head out. My return is a red eye so the jammies will do. sadly I got the name on my check wrong have to go to the bank first thing and fix that.

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Lynn
    Surgery date
    03/15/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default Re: Packing! oh and Cell Charges Question!!

Hi , I just left there on the 18th, I don't know who your cell phone carrier is but I spoke with the manager @ my local AT&T store whom advised me to either add the international plan to avoid astronomical roaming & data usage charges ( which was rather pricey I thought or the mere few days I was going to be there) or he said to turn off all cellular data on my phone & tablet before crossing the border or remove my SIM card, then just use wifi Internet access while there, so that's what I did, I turned off all cellular data on my equipment, & I downloaded & set up the google voice app... It gives you a phone number that you can use to send & receive text free over wifi .... Worked like a charm... The hotel & clinic have wifi access that they will give you the password for, & while at the clinic ( not @ the hotel) you may use their phone & call home or anywhere in the US for Free!!!
    Hope This Helps & I hope your experience will be as pleasant as mine was! Congratulations on your upcoming surgery, & may your recovery be a Rapid one!

Gastric Sleeve Member Dyanne4293's Avatar
    Name
    Dyanne
    Surgery date
    07/17/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Last Activity
    07-13-2016 03:18 PM
    Said "Thanks" 12 Times
    Was Thanked 13 Times in 8 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2 Times
    Blog Entries

I didn't have international minutes. I didn't purchase any. I could text though. I also took my laptop. The hotel has wi-fi. I kept in touch with everyone via texting and computer.

Gastric Sleeve Member Socaldixiegal's Avatar
    Surgery date
    02/11/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ariel Ortiz
    Last Activity
    01-04-2017 01:33 PM
    Said "Thanks" 4 Times
    Was Thanked 177 Times in 156 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3 Times

Definitely turn off your data services on the phone. Use the free wifi, but if you have data pushing & pulling from your phone that only bills at an international roaming rate (I got nailed in germany to the tune of $200). That 3G/4G stuff is what kills you!

I used email through my iPad which I wifi'd to the hotel and basically just left my cell phone off to avoid any accidental charges. Texting will usually be international charges as well. Some of my texts oddly didn't have charges, but then a whole bunch were charged at $0.50 each. Not sure why the discrepancy. But, I just told people to email me instead since I used my iPad.

Starting weight for lap-band = 252
    miserable 5 years later
    Starting weight for VSG = 229
    Pre-op weight = 219