04/19/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr Terracina
    Last Activity
    07-05-2013 03:40 PM
    Said "Thanks" 9 Times
    Was Thanked 33 Times in 30 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 20 Times

Default Dr's Diet Order...why do different...

hey there everyone...

Well for the past month I have been seeing the Nutritionist. She really had me look at what I eat..and is helping me eat slower - look at food labels and so on.

She gave me a diet sheet of what I should be eating now - and also gave me a sheet of what my diet will look like once I have surgery.
    My doctor basically places his patients on a NO CARB diet for 6 months!! I asked why and the nutritionist said its for maximum weight loss. So I understand - no pasta - no bread...but when you really look at carbs..its Fruit..its Oatmeal - its certain yogurts..!!!

I just cannot understand why some people who have surgery can begin to eat normal - but in very small quantities about 6 weeks after surgery while others are placed on these crazy No This - No That diet!

I only say this because I love fruit. I love blueberries and strawberries....I like whole grains - I see some people on here explaining what they eat and they are loosing right along eating normal but very small portions. I honestly do not know if I will be able to do it for 6 months..I really do not. I have even googled Weight Loss Surgery Diets to possibly follow another doctors eating rules...

Am I crazy? - or wrong to think this way...

Not sure what to do!

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Christina
    Surgery date
    02/27/2013
    Surgeon
    Kelvin Higa
    Last Activity
    03-13-2018 11:43 AM
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 13 Times in 11 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 7 Times

Default Re: Dr's Diet Order...why do different...

I was on clear liquids for the first week to help my new stomach adjust but it would take about 4 or 5 hours to eat a Popsicle jello cup and 8 oz of broth

Gastric Sleeve Member iamredforever's Avatar
    Name
    Rona
    Surgery date
    03/04/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ben-Meir
    Last Activity
    10-21-2015 12:46 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times
    Blog Entries

Believe me your stomach will be so swollen and small, regular food will cause a lot of pain. You need to stay on liquid diet and follow your doctor's advice. Anyone that says they could eat normal food after this surgery is dreaming. There is no way you could do that. Please be careful.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    12/18/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Jorge Acosta
    Last Activity
    03-28-2014 10:32 PM
    Said "Thanks" 10 Times
    Was Thanked 52 Times in 51 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 64 Times
    Blog Entries

I think it's important to collect as much information as possible from many sources, and consider all options before deciding what will work for you. The diet has to be something you can stick to for a while or longer, so it has to feel good to you. You can track what you eat and see what that does in terms of stomach comfort, satiety and weight loss and take it from there. I eat "normal" food every day- fruit, salads, minimal carbs now but I have eaten my share of oatmeal and granola- and have been for several weeks. Some people can eat a wide variety of food an some people cannot; people's experiences are as individual as they are. You will find what works best for you. Best of luck to you.

Surgery date
    12/08/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Helbling
    Last Activity
    11-18-2013 08:42 PM
    Said "Thanks" 219 Times
    Was Thanked 186 Times in 173 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 301 Times

I assume you are talking about how you will be eating once you've recovered and gotten the "all clear" from the doctor saying you can eat "normal" food again. I strongly recommend that you stick with the program prescribed by your doctor and nutritionist. Yes, nearly every program is different, and there will certainly be times when you don't follow it exactly, but as a general rule, they have prepared their program for the most balance and motivation for that program. Mine didn't really restrict carbs, but they're very strict about other things such as carbonated beverages, drinking while eating, snacks, etc. I think you will find that overall satisfaction will come from following the program you are in. It also makes it easier when you talk to the NUT and Dr. about how things are progressing.

Good luck!

7. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Name
    Rona
    Surgery date
    03/04/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ben-Meir
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Blog Entries

Are you talking about right after the surgery?

Name
    Rona
    Surgery date
    03/04/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ben-Meir
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Blog Entries

Are you talking about right after the sugery?

Gastric Sleeve Member Karenricha's Avatar
    Name
    Karen
    Surgery date
    04/19/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr Terracina
    Last Activity
    07-05-2013 03:40 PM
    Said "Thanks" 9 Times
    Was Thanked 33 Times in 30 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 20 Times

Yes...I totally understand that when I first have surgery that I will be on liquids...that I understand...My Nutritionist says liquids the first 2 weeks..which is jello - Popsicles, protein shakes and water...then we go to the soft food stage...for 2 weeks..which is strained soups and sugar free pudding..and carb lite yogurt..and then after that is the normal food diet...meaning NO CARBS...
    They say protein first..and I agree..and then veggies..and I agree on that too..but to me it would be nice to make a vanilla protein shake and add some blueberries to it..no sugar..or some frozen strawberries.. or to have tuna on a cracker or two...

Maybe carbs won't even mean to much to me once I am sleeved...I guess everyone is different...it just seems strange that there are thousands of people who have this surgery - Many MANY have wonderful success stories - but the diets are all different. To me there should be a Booklet...lol

I am not wanting to eat cake..or cookies..or junk food..I just love fruit...fresh and frozen..and can't imagine why its so bad to have it like 2 months out?

We'll see...When did ya'll eat regular? - did anyone eat fruits? or non processed oatmeal?

Surgery date
    01/08/2013
    Surgeon
    Carlson
    Last Activity
    04-18-2013 08:26 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Karenricha View Post
    Maybe carbs won't even mean to much to me once I am sleeved...I guess everyone is different...
    This was true for me. I didn't have intentions on not eating carbs but by the time you have your meat and veggies, you probably won't want anymore.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    12/18/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Jorge Acosta
    Last Activity
    03-28-2014 10:32 PM
    Said "Thanks" 10 Times
    Was Thanked 52 Times in 51 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 64 Times
    Blog Entries

I was one clear liquids for 2-3 days, full liquids- cream soups, pudding, yougurt, etc.- for 2 weeks, puree for two weeks and then regular food after the first month. I have not vomitted or had any other issues with food. I do not eat pasta or rice and I have not pork. I do follow a low carb diet whcih includes lots of fresh veggies, salads, fruit. Other than that I eat whatever healthy, fresh food I want.

Surgery date
    05/20/2013
    Said "Thanks" 17 Times
    Was Thanked 172 Times in 168 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 898 Times
    Blog Entries

Are you sure they don't mean processed food with higher carbs .. the bread, pasta, rice ..... ?
    I would query your understanding of what they said at you next visit.

Gastric Sleeve Member karensuue's Avatar
    Surgery date
    11/28/2012
    Surgeon
    Almanza
    Said "Thanks" 154 Times
    Was Thanked 18 Times in 16 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 843 Times

well i think you'll be fine to eat what ever u want.. after 6 weeks i did. i figure it don't matter its not like your gonna eat tons of it. whats 3 or 4 bites of bread or fruit. besides i used fruit in my protein drinks in a blender right after wards like strawberries. you may find after surgery you won't like what you did before surgery. its like a baked potato i can eat 3 bites and thats fine and all i want. i know one dr. said no rice no bread no potatos no flour and no noodles ever ever ever for the rest of your life, whos he fooling thats like diet all over, i say eat your 3 bites and be done. good luck i think you'll figure it all out..
    KAREN

Gastric Sleeve Member Momto4sons's Avatar
    Name
    Summer
    Surgery date
    11/13/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr Borland
    Last Activity
    01-22-2015 09:09 AM
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 32 Times in 31 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 8 Times

I'm 16 weeks out and can not eat bread .. Pasta or rice .. It feels like its swelling in my throat... So I stick to meat and veggies and fruits and cheese for snacks

Gastric Sleeve Member LealScott's Avatar
    Name
    Carmen
    Surgery date
    09/11/2012
    Surgeon
    Brian Wong
    Last Activity
    06-07-2014 01:08 PM
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times
    Was Thanked 210 Times in 191 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 92 Times
    Blog Entries

I began eating pretty much whatever I wanted after week 2. The initial instructions did not have me eating solids for maybe 6 weeks. But after the first doctor visit he revised it when he saw how well I was doing. I didn't go crazy, didn't have bread or pasta or other carbs like that. But I did and do have at least one protein shake a day that I make with Greek yogurt, frozen fruit of some sort, whey protein powder, a splash of milk and ice. I will most likely do it for life because 1. I like them, 2 it's a huge source of protein, and 3. it's affordable and easy.

I can't tell you why there is so much variety of doctor's orders, but I can tell you they ALL say protein first and a ton of water. After that it will be up to you to stick to the program or not. The better you stick, the better the results. Never is a huge word that I believe will lead to failure for most people. My nutritionist suggest that I stick to under 50 crabs a day and that is entirely doable most days. I refuse to beat myself up on days when I really, really, really must have a piece of low carb bread and that puts me over by 10 carbs. I eat it, enjoy it, and go back to the under 50 carbs the next day.

In the beginning follow the guidelines because your stomach has been through a lot and you don't want complications. For most people after 6 weeks they can eat everything but the sleeve is a tool that helps them limit their intake. But you will be able to eat greater and greater amounts as time goes on so establishing those good habits in the beginning will help you for the rest of your life.

No matter what doctor you choose you aren't going to like some part of the guidelines I would guess. Choose one, do your best, exercise and keep moving, protein, water and modify as needed when it's safe.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Maddy
    Surgery date
    10/30/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Rodriguez
    Last Activity
    08-21-2013 11:39 AM
    Said "Thanks" 44 Times
    Was Thanked 14 Times in 14 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 23 Times

By the time you get in all of your protein and water needs you will be very surprised at how few more bites you WANT to take into your new stomach. My doctor's rule was to eat four bites of protein before eating anything else on the plate. For the longest time I never even made it to the fifth bite. I am 4 1/2 months out and have yet to make it to a tenth bite :-) Prior to this surgery, I never noticed the sugar rush I get from carbs as to the longer but lower high I get from protein. Staying on the severely low carb diet will probably help you find that. Also, low carbs, helps your liver shrink, hence our pre-surgery diets. They may be keeping you on it to help avoid any uncomfortable swelling around your new stomach. My nutritionist, like it sounds yours is, is the strict one. Most of the time, I follow the rules to a T, but every once in a while I slip and eat a couple of bites of something I'm really craving. I wouldn't worry too much, I'm sure you'll figure out what works for you, with their help.