Surgeon
    Dr. Jason Harrison
    Last Activity
    07-10-2014 12:36 AM
    Said "Thanks" 90 Times
    Was Thanked 113 Times in 83 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 247 Times

Default A post from a long-time veteran

Hi, everyone! I haven't posted in a long time, but I have been reading lots of posts and replying when I thought I could offer some encouragement or insight.

I thought it might be helpful to some of you who are relatively new to the process to see what life is like for someone who is getting close to two years post-surgery. I had my surgery May 2, 2011, so it has been 21 months for me.

I had so much weight to lose when I started, and it came off pretty quickly the first 6 months. I had very few issues during that time, just a little dehydration a few weeks after my surgery because I was lax about drinking my water. When I realized what I had done to myself, I said, "DUH!!!" and got back on track with the water, and haven't had any problems with that since. Like most people, I had some pretty significant hair loss around 4 months, but I and my hairdresser jumped on it and took care of it, too.

So, here I am, 21 months post- surgery, and still a long way from my goal. I got discouraged seeing so many people who reached their goal weight so quickly. Still, very few of you had as much weight to lose as I did. Also, one good thing is that I haven't gained it back (and the way I had been eating lately, I sure could have!) You were probably much better than I was about what and how much you ate, too. I keep telling myself that I will get there, and not to be worried about it coming off so slowly now, but I know deep- down that I am not "working the sleeve" as I should, or I would be much further along than I am.

The first year, I was really good about keeping track of what I ate. As time went by, I could eat a little more, but I was still losing, just not so quickly. A year ago, I joined the Y and started working out with weights and water aerobics. My weight loss slowed down, but I knew I was putting on muscle, which is denser than fat, so I wasn't too concerned. I think I allowed myself to become pretty complacent with that, and so I was eating more and more. It doesn't help, I have recently realized, that My Fitness Pal lets you have more calories when you exercise, so even though I was logging all my wonderful exercise and my food, I was still increasing what I ate. Then, I stopped tracking the food because it just got to be too tedious.

Please don't get me wrong, I love my sleeve, and I still think it is the best thing I have ever done for myself. I am so thankful for all the weight I have lost, and the improvement to my health as a result. I love having people who haven't seen me since my surgery tell me how great I look. I love how much better I feel. I have said before, if I never lose another pound, I am still so much better off than I was.

Still, I am not ready to be finished. I am now down to the weight so many others started at. I need more. I need to get to Onederland. So, I have recommitted myself to regular exercise, to tracking and cutting down on my food, to being good to myself, because I want this and I DESERVE THIS!!!

One of the things I have noticed on this forum is that everyone wants to share their successes and even their frustrations, but few share their failures. So, I am sharing mine with you wonderful people in the hope that you can learn from my mistakes. But I also want to say that I have not given up! I will get there someday, with the help of my wonderful family and of you dear people on the forum.

I am sorry this is such a long post, but I just wanted you guys to know what it will be like further down the road. And to tell you what I have learned from the past two years. Mostly, "Never give up! Never surrender!" ((((HUGS))))

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member goestogym's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    02/08/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Sasse
    Last Activity
    03-30-2024 02:55 PM
    Said "Thanks" 92 Times
    Was Thanked 116 Times in 88 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 246 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: A post from a long-time veteran

I certainly wouldnt call a 124 pound loss a failure!! Start envisioning yourself at goal. Make a collage white board of magazine clippings of clothes that you can wear, things you can do and maybe even your face on a body you'd like! (I cut out my business card face and put it on Raquel Welch's body)
    With me, if I can visualize, I can do it.

4. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member gemini*eyes's Avatar
    Surgery date
    11/09/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Sergio Quinones
    Last Activity
    02-05-2014 11:15 AM
    Said "Thanks" 16 Times
    Was Thanked 72 Times in 70 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 35 Times
    Blog Entries

wow.. thank you soooo much for this post.. i wish you the best of luck!! you are right about the failures.. i have been researching sleeve failures and believe there are just as many failures as successes.. ive read where people lost just 15 to 25 pounds in a whole year.. this is total proof it takes hard work and dedication..you are not a failure as you have not gained and you are getting back on track.. i seem to keep losing and gaining the same ten pounds now for a month.. im just three months post op and losing no where near as quick as people on this site.. really i havent lost anything since two months post op.. i feel good though.. and i am getting stronger and healthier with the cardio im doing. post like these make me realize how serious I need to be.. i seem to only lose if I drink protein shakes .. then when i eat i gain a few then drink protein a few days and lose a few.. then eat and gain it again.. this is shit.. i cant possobly live on protein shakes forever.. i got so excited reading all the posts ans seeing u tube videos of successful sleevers... according to all of them i should be down another twenty at this point.. but im not.. i cant consider it a stall if it goes up and down.. its hard work.. i knew in my heart i wasnt gonna be lucky with easy loss.. but i was lucky i had an easy surgery and recovery.. too easy...

6. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member aboutime4me's Avatar
    Name
    Mary
    Surgery date
    05/01/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Soong
    Last Activity
    09-15-2016 10:02 AM
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times
    Was Thanked 368 Times in 333 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 17 Times
    Blog Entries

I can't see where anything of what you posted about your personal journey is a failure. I am happy you posted this not only for the newbies but for all of us who have been sleeved already, no matter how long ago. This is the reality of life and that's what we're challenged to do...really LIVE with our sleeve for the rest of our lives. I started by saying I don't see your post as an admittance of failure. I think we have to get rid of the words failure from our vocabulary. What you have done is learned how to live and how not to live with your sleeve, to get the ultimate weight loss. I don't accept failure in life. We try things a thousand different ways, we experiment, we fall on our face from time to time but we go on. This is success and you are successful on your journey.
    Your glass is "half full" not half empty. Continue on in your commitment and keep us posted on how you're doing. 2013 is your year!

8. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    09/22/2012
    Surgeon
    Mr Chris Sutton
    Last Activity
    11-10-2015 06:02 PM
    Said "Thanks" 37 Times
    Was Thanked 748 Times in 671 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 482 Times
    Blog Entries

Thanks for sharing - it is really helpful to hear honest accounts of all outcomes, and I hope it does help you to find a new commitment and focus. It's great that you've maintained such a significant weight loss which does wonders for your health and life expectancy, but of course you want to see this thing all the way. Our culture tends to have black and white terms of success/failure good/bad etc; and it can be difficult to hold a view of simultaneous partial achievement and partial disappointment.

There's this great quote from a movie that I watched recently (the Best Exotic Marigold Hotel). A character says "Everything will be all right in the end. If it's not all right, it's not yet the end".

It's a bit trite in some ways, but it does help to keep a sense of things being an ongoing and organic journey - not a defined start and end point. Well done for choosing to continue on your journey.

10. Said thanks:

11. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Surgery date
    01/09/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Lautz
    Last Activity
    02-09-2015 07:21 PM
    Said "Thanks" 154 Times
    Was Thanked 299 Times in 286 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 76 Times
    Blog Entries

Thank you for sharing your story. I like your attitude. Many people ask me what is my goal. I always tell them my goal is to not gain the weight back. I was tired of losing weight and gaining it back. You have done that with your sleeve. That is awesome.
    (Goal!!! Maintenance Lane!)

• Reduce calories intake for weightloss.
    • Exercise for heart health, mental health and weight maintenance.
    • Make realistic goals.
    • Never give up.

13. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member alotofbabyweight's Avatar
    Name
    Danielle
    Surgery date
    02/01/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Last Activity
    06-29-2014 06:33 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times
    Blog Entries

Appreciate that post.... You worked the sleeve great a while back! You should go back to the Pre op diet!! Basically, the sleeve puts you on a forced starvation diet almost, so just do that without the sleeve!! Great work, good for you for refusing to give up!!!!! Good health and good lyck to you!!

15. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member sleeveinbama's Avatar
    Name
    vicki
    Surgery date
    08/13/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Andrew Dewitt
    Last Activity
    08-09-2014 11:24 AM
    Said "Thanks" 12 Times
    Was Thanked 110 Times in 108 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 149 Times
    Blog Entries

Thanks for sharing!!!!!! I love you attitude!! You will get there!!!

17. Said thanks:

Name
    BB
    Surgery date
    05/29/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ayloo
    Last Activity
    06-03-2013 01:23 PM
    Said "Thanks" 42 Times
    Was Thanked 154 Times in 152 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 167 Times
    Blog Entries

Thanks for sharing and i also believe ur story is not one of a failure. This isnt easy ans forost isnt fast. We all know its a life change committment and dealing with slowing the wl as well as trying to live a "normal" life where u do mot log anything u eat or do seems to be part of it is a pig part of this journey. I admire u for sharing for not giving up when the game became hard. It takes a strong mind to be like u and i just hope i will be like u. I alreadys topped logging 2 months ago, i am tired of it. I say to myself i am ok -and probably I am. But some day i ate too little and other too much some day i am good with protein and other not. I hate refilling my pill rack so i skip days here and there. I know i seek normality but we should make this our normal life.
    Thanks so much and look forward to ur posts

288 - Highest weight on March 2012
    268 - Weigh before starting pre-op diet on May 14 2012. 20lb loss
    258 - Weight on surgery on May 29 2012. 10lb loss from pre op
    224 - 2 months post op (July 30 2012).
    178 - 7.5 m out. total loss 110, post op 72lb

19. Said thanks:

Name
    Lea
    Surgery date
    01/21/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Attiles
    Last Activity
    01-13-2014 08:33 AM
    Said "Thanks" 76 Times
    Was Thanked 170 Times in 160 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 17 Times
    Blog Entries

Thank you for the post. I think you have lost significant amount of weight so congrats. If you are working out you have also adopted a healthier way of life. If you go back to basics I am sure you will see scale go down.....even if it's very slowly.

21. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member MindyMorales's Avatar
    Name
    Mindy
    Surgery date
    11/19/2012
    Surgeon
    DR. Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    08-03-2016 01:17 PM
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times
    Was Thanked 10 Times in 9 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 91 Times
    Blog Entries

Thank You for posting but, I cant help but say that your journey has hardly been a failure. Be proud of your accomplishments and look forward to new ones, It will get easier.

23. Said thanks:

Name
    Jill
    Surgery date
    10/22/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Oliak
    Said "Thanks" 145 Times
    Was Thanked 569 Times in 561 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 195 Times

Thank you for being open and honest, I love hearing from sleevers who are a while out. You can hardly call yourself a failure. Stick around here for a while and we can all encourage each other. Best wishes on your continued journey.

Start weight: 286 (8/28/12)
    Pre-op weight: 272 (10/22/12)
    Goal to weigh what my drivers license says: 225 (3/9/13)
    First goal weight: 199 (7/20/13)
    Second goal weight: 186 - 100 lbs lost ( )
    Third goal weight: 175 ( )
    Fourth goal weight: 150 ( )
    Final goal weight: remains to be seen

25. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Scubagecko's Avatar
    Name
    David
    Surgery date
    12/20/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Sang-Moon Han
    Last Activity
    12-15-2020 03:11 PM
    Said "Thanks" 95 Times
    Was Thanked 103 Times in 98 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 100 Times

This is certainly not a race its a journey, I know how cliche. You have made such amazing progress and I know you will reach your goals. Thanks for the post it's really inspiring and helpful to hear the stories for those that have so much actual experience than most of us just a few weeks out. keep us posted on your progress.

Total inches lost to date 38.6 inches 98.0 cm
    Highest weight 325
    1st Goal - below 300 (12/12/30) 9 days after surgery'
    2nd Goal - 265 weight I met my wife (13/2/23)
    3rd Goal - 250 lowest weight in my 30's (15/4/2013)
    4th Goal - 215 lowest weight as an adult ()
    5th Goal - below 200 ()

27. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member leamarieb's Avatar
    Name
    Lea
    Surgery date
    04/03/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Northup
    Last Activity
    11-07-2013 12:37 PM
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 16 Times in 15 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 16 Times
    Blog Entries

I agree with everyone else - you have definitely not failed at anything with this!! You've lost a lot of weight and maintained that loss and gotten healthier. You may not YET be at your ultimate goal, but that's okay. I've set lots of mini goals, and figure at any of these, I can take a break from losing if I want and practice maintaining. Then when I'm ready, I can lose some more. Keeping it off is far more challenging, and you've done an amazing job at that. Because of other health challenges, my weight loss has been frustratingly slow and mentally I find it far too easy to fall back into my bad habits, but with the restriction the sleeve gives me, I also find it so much easier to get back on track when I am ready, and slowly I am getting healthier and losing weight. I think you've got a great attitude, and it sounds like you are ready to lose some more weight. Just stick with it, and you'll do great, I'm sure!
    I may be a SLOW loser, but I'm still a loser!!

29. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member marilynlw's Avatar
    Name
    Marilyn
    Surgery date
    11/12/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr Lorenzo
    Last Activity
    01-02-2014 02:32 PM
    Oahu, Hawaii we moved from Ohio to wormer weather.
    Said "Thanks" 61 Times
    Was Thanked 742 Times in 711 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,174 Times
    Blog Entries

Thanks for posting. We all need to be aware that this is not just a quick fix to our weight problems. But it is the start of a lifetime journey to a healthier way of life. I really enjoyed your post. My daughter is 3 1/2 years out and is still working to lose the final few. She looks fine where she is now but if she every gave up the battle the weight will creep back on. All of us newbees need to know that it does take hard work and commitment to make it to our goal (a healthier life) and to maintain it. Thanks again and never give up!

Highest weight 440 lbs. lowest weight 9.5 lbs at birth
    Date of surgery weight 340
    12 week checkup 301 BMI <50 yeah!
    Weight on birthday 3/24/48 Goal 285 would be nice.

31. Said thanks: