Surgeon
    Dr. Hoehn
    Last Activity
    06-10-2013 06:41 PM
    Said "Thanks" 93 Times
    Was Thanked 20 Times in 19 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 46 Times

Thumbs down Just Being Honest

Okay, I was sleeved on June 28th of thir SInce then I have lost 64 pounds.

In the beginning I was so focused, from day 3 I was getting in my protien and water everyday. I signed up for my fitness pal and recorded everything I put in my mouth.

And then I got back "into the swing o things" at work and we took off with a new center opening and I did a LOT of traveling...

Old habits are creeping back. I am eating mindlessly and havent entered anything in fitnesspal in over a month. I have to get back into it and I am struggling.

I am still losing weight about 2 pounds a week. But I didn't do this JUST to lose weight, I wanted to change my life and way of eating and thinking about food.

Please I know this is a forum and people can post whatever they wish but please save any nasty judgemental replies because I won't read them anyway and I have been harder on myself than anyone else could be.

Anyone with real feedback and suggestion on how I can restart this mindset I had I would sooooooooooo appreciate it. My busy work schedule isn't going to slow down until March or April but I can't just wait until then to figure this out.

I eat out ALOT because I am always on the road. I still eat protien first but I find myself not eating until lunch and then I am not always eating what I should. I don't get my water in, I am bored of water....

Pepperidge Farm Goldfish are my weekness - and mindless snacking

2. Said thanks:

3. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    01/09/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Lautz
    Last Activity
    02-09-2015 07:21 PM
    Said "Thanks" 154 Times
    Was Thanked 299 Times in 286 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 76 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Just Being Honest

I think a lot of us struggle when we are half way to goal.

I think it is a great start that you post this thread.

Can you bring some protein bars with you so you can have more structure meals? I don't use myfitnesspal consistently but I do write down what I eat in a journal. I know I am in trouble when I eat mindlessly and not write it down.
    (Goal!!! Maintenance Lane!)

• Reduce calories intake for weightloss.
    • Exercise for heart health, mental health and weight maintenance.
    • Make realistic goals.
    • Never give up.

5. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member ivygreenery's Avatar
    Name
    Jan
    Surgery date
    08/27/2012
    Surgeon
    Nicholson
    Last Activity
    06-10-2013 04:49 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 24 Times in 24 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 37 Times

At my support group a couple of weeks ago, they psychologist said the biggest cause of failure with weight loss surgery patients is grazing. I say stop buying goldfish. Eat your three meals, protein first, faithfully. Skipping meals is always a bad mistake. You can do this! Find a support group. Mine meets just once a month, which I can commit to. Stay on this forum, also. Great advice and support abounds here!

7. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    06/28/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Hoehn
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 93 Times

Muchkin and Jan, You are both very right! I am so mad at myself for letting me get to that snacking stage. Yes goldfish are now band from my house. I can't seem to find protien bars that are low in carbs. I am going to try it. I just need things that don't taste sweet. I was never a sweet eater and most protien bars mimic the sweet crave. I crave crunch....all mental and I am sure of it.

Jan you did bring up a good point, I have really slacked off posting here even just daily things. Maybe I can just post what is going on in my life and learn how to keep myself focused. I need to get back to fitness pal...

Again I am just so frustrated that I found myself doing this grazing stuff - I too had heard that is our issue...

Gastric Sleeve Member marilynlw's Avatar
    Name
    Marilyn
    Surgery date
    11/12/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr Lorenzo
    Last Activity
    01-02-2014 02:32 PM
    Oahu, Hawaii we moved from Ohio to wormer weather.
    Said "Thanks" 61 Times
    Was Thanked 742 Times in 711 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,174 Times
    Blog Entries

Have you tried planning your meals for the week on your day off. Cooking ahead so meals are quicker. Can you get menus for the places you eat out at and study them and circle the best choices so you know what would be best to eat there. I think the best way to beat mindless eating is to plan ahead. Like the doctors say the sleeve is not magic, just a tool. I'm sure you are like almost everyone else and just need to recommit to doing it and I think you have. Best wishes on the rest of your journey = the rest of your life.

Highest weight 440 lbs. lowest weight 9.5 lbs at birth
    Date of surgery weight 340
    12 week checkup 301 BMI <50 yeah!
    Weight on birthday 3/24/48 Goal 285 would be nice.

10. Said thanks:

11. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member ElleMarie's Avatar
    Surgery date
    06/10/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr Ortiz
    Last Activity
    09-25-2013 10:07 PM
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times
    Was Thanked 202 Times in 182 Posts

Do you think the main struggle is mental or do you feel more hungry? Do you feel that the restriction isn't as great or do you force yourself even if hungry.

If mental or mindless, try setting a timer for 10 minutes, if you wait still want then have it. Portion out what you "should" have...if you want seconds...set a timer, wait and if you still want it have it. It is more about being "mindful" than anything else, sometimes that will work. For me it was journaling, in my blog often I found during the course of my writing what was actually at the root of my desire.

If you are not feeling the restriction and feel that this is more physical than mental do the "five day pouch test" Google it you will see what it is and in five days you are supposed to feel like you did in the early days after surgery. Many find this helps them refocus and feel satisfied.

THank you for posting this question. MANY need to hear the responses and anyone that chastises you most likely has issues that they need to address. By in large this is a loving supportive group. We only chastise when people get down on themselves...we are all wonderful, unique people struggling for our place. Hope you are soon back to where you want to be and all the wiser from your diversion.
    God gave us people to love and things to use, not things to love and people to use.

Visit my blog at: http://laurieunapologetically.blogspot.com/

13. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    09/22/2012
    Surgeon
    Mr Chris Sutton
    Last Activity
    11-10-2015 06:02 PM
    Said "Thanks" 37 Times
    Was Thanked 748 Times in 671 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 482 Times
    Blog Entries

I really get being mad or disappointed with yourself, but this kind of negative emotion too can make it harder to get on track. A compassionate mindset, which includes understanding and caring toward yourself about why you're finding it difficult, combined with wisdom and strength to redirect your behaviour is much more likely to help you.

So - don't be surprised by your struggles, major behavioural change is bloody hard. People are creatures of habit for very good reasons - most of our habits are very helpful and we get through our complex lives by following familiar routines. Sometimes these are unhelpful ones, and it takes a lot of intellectual and emotional energy to stay focussed. Sometimes we expect to be able to change a lot of things at once, and actually that's really hard. Normal weight people who haven't struggled with their weight don't have to spend lots of time planning and thinking about what to put/not put into their gobs all day, so recognise that this is a real challenge and it's great that you've got even as far as you have. Admire yourself for having had the strength to go through surgery in the first place.

The next part is the wisdom and strength and be firm (but not punishing) about making changes. Find ways to make sure you'll notice - if you think that's posting here or doing fitness pal again, then schedule some time to do it in your diary to give it importance. If you don't do it one day, don't let that stop you from doing it the next. Don't kick yourself about it, but don't let yourself off the hook either - firm but fair. "I get why this is so hard for me, of course it is, and so I need to try hard to remind myself". Don't necessarily try to change everything at once. You've identified one thing about the goldfish (whatever they are!) so that's a great start.

Your bravery in posting is the first and most important step in gathering your wisdom and strength to make the next stage of changes you want to. Not kidding youself even though you're still losing is so great! Congratulations on that - and also thank you, for helping others to see the potential stumbles we'll have in the future.

15. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    01/09/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Lautz
    Last Activity
    02-09-2015 07:21 PM
    Said "Thanks" 154 Times
    Was Thanked 299 Times in 286 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 76 Times
    Blog Entries

If you don't want something sweet but high in protein. You can try jerky (beef, turkey, etc), cheese sticks, deli meat, hardboiled egg. Nuts is good in moderation (doesn't have that much protein but is yum).
    (Goal!!! Maintenance Lane!)

• Reduce calories intake for weightloss.
    • Exercise for heart health, mental health and weight maintenance.
    • Make realistic goals.
    • Never give up.

17. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Dee Leshuz's Avatar
    Surgery date
    03/15/2012
    Said "Thanks" 77 Times
    Was Thanked 579 Times in 506 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 165 Times

I think the first most important thing, along the lines of what niamh was saying, is to forgive yourself. I come from a very punishing family and that's the first place I go when I mess up but I've realized it's counterproductive and am trying other ways of motivation/behavioral change. Work sounds like it was really hard, so give yourself a break.

Regarding food, I hate to cook so I buy lots of things I don't HAVE to cook. Frozen or fresh veggies that are in packages that steam themselves in the microwave, individual fruit or already cut up apple slices, cheese sticks, deli meat, cottage cheese, yogurt, rotisserie chicken, you can even buy little frozen bags of edamame (soy beans, so you get protein AND fiber) at my Safeway that I like to nuke and take w/ me when it's time for me to leave.

Lately I've been experimenting with those frozen diet meals-the Weight Watcher's Teriyaki chicken and vegetables is very good, so I bought a few others to try. And ALWAYS a sugar free chocolate or chocolate/vanilla pudding for dessert!
    Starting weight: 255
    Pre-op weight: 228
    Surgery date: 3/14/2012

19. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    03/06/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wade Barker
    Last Activity
    04-15-2013 10:01 PM
    Said "Thanks" 13 Times
    Was Thanked 12 Times in 12 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 27 Times

I'm right there with you!!! I'm a teacher and when school started back in August, so did the compliments. I'd had my surgery in March,so I looked really different by the end of August. Shoot, I thought I was hot stuff when people started gushing over the changes. I got complacent and stopped doing the things I'd done to get to that point. Like you I quit logging on MFP, I quit putting protein first, I started snacking on carby crap.

The results were expected and disastrous (for me). I didn't gain, but I didn't lose a single pound for at least 2 and a half months. The final straw for me was eating like that through Thanksgiving and realizing that many of my new, cute pants didn't fit! I could see the bloat creeping back to my face and stomach.YIKES!!!

At that point I sat down and remembered all the reasons why I wanted this so badly in the first place. I had a GOAL when I started this, and it seemed like the closer I got to it, the more I tried to sabotage myself. I had to finally deal with the fact that I felt a little uncomfortable with the new attention and learn how to own this new body. I needed to accept my new shape in order to get serious and disciplined enough to kick butt for these last 30 lbs. Last week I just put a mental block on all the food missiles that come my way. I honestly went back to mainly protein shakes to jumpstart the discipline. Since I know I like my food to be a mindless effort, this helps b/c I don't even have to make choices: coffee protein shakes for breakfast and snack; Greek yogurt protein for lunch and snack. By dinner time, I go back to the summer rules - spoon out 4 bites and out away the food/fork.

It's been a bit easier to do this b/c of all the over-indulging I did for Thanksgiving. I puked on more than one occasion and have no desire to relive that, lol. Instead, I've watched the scale go down 8.5 lbs since the Monday after.

Sorry this is so long, but I am right there with you. I WANT this and so do YOU!!! We CAN do it b/c we sure didn't come this far to stop now.
    Highest weight - 299.5, July 2011
    Official pre-surgery weight - 275, March 2012

21. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Dee Leshuz's Avatar
    Surgery date
    03/15/2012
    Said "Thanks" 77 Times
    Was Thanked 579 Times in 506 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 165 Times

Last week I just put a mental block on all the food missiles that come my way.

Ooh, I really like both the strategy and how you phrased it.

Danger! Food Missiles Headed this way!

All December long, in fact...
    Starting weight: 255
    Pre-op weight: 228
    Surgery date: 3/14/2012

23. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    06/28/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Hoehn
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 93 Times

Ellen Marie - thank you so much I will do just what you suggested

Gastric Sleeve Member SECRETSLEEVE's Avatar
    Surgery date
    07/07/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Hector Perez
    Said "Thanks" 132 Times
    Was Thanked 103 Times in 99 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 193 Times
    Blog Entries

thanks for coming back for support!! Weight loss is not easy and the sleeve was just one tool, we still have to use others.

Surgery date
    06/28/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Hoehn
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 93 Times

Wow! This is such an awesome pace - thank you all. I will admit I was a little afraid to post because I didnt want to hear anyone telling me I didnt want this bad enough or anything like that. Dee you're right punishing myself won't work. I think I am going to do the five day pouch just to get refocused. As I understnd it it is basically the pre surgery diet for five days right or did I miss read?

Surgery date
    06/28/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Hoehn
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 93 Times

I meant awesome place *! BB thanks for letting me know I am not alone in this

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast