Surgeon
    Fernando Garcia
    Last Activity
    08-30-2017 10:22 PM
    Said "Thanks" 17 Times
    Was Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 40 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Question for those who have lost 100lbs in a year or less?

I wont kick myself if I can't loose that fast but I would like to know what have you done to get there? Do you count calories still? On mostly liquids? Work out 8 hours a day?

I so want to rid myself of this weight mostly to feel good but of course I want to look good too.

Also question regarding loose skin I know there will be some but to what degree and can you do something to minimize the amount of loose skin?

I hope I don’t offend anyone by my questions I just want to fully prepare myself for the best outcome.

Thanks for any personal experiences shared.

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    David
    Surgery date
    07/02/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Fedorka
    Last Activity
    07-17-2017 11:51 PM
    Said "Thanks" 5 Times
    Was Thanked 64 Times in 60 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 59 Times

Default Re: Question for those who have lost 100lbs in a year or less?

Absolutely counting calories, carbs & protein has been essential for me. Exercise, yes, mostly walking. On good weeks, I do an hour five days in the week, but I haven't hit that since my surgery. Really have to get back up there because I'm stalling right now. Thanksgiving didn't help on that though....

My biggest loose skin issue is my neck the double chin area. Fat for double chin is pretty much gone, but the skin is still there. I still have another 50 lbs. to go, so I'm not in full flappy skin mode yet, but I thnk I'm going to crave plastic surgery if things don't bounce back within a couple of years.

Weight on day of surgery: 318.4 lbs

4. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Anissa Christine's Avatar
    Name
    Anissa
    Surgery date
    08/08/2012
    Surgeon
    Peterson, Richard M.
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 265 Times in 247 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 89 Times
    Blog Entries

I have only lost 62 pounds but then again I am not quite 4 months post-op. I would love to lose 100 pounds in less than a year! I stick to a high protein/low carb diet. But I think what is key for me is the exercise. I do way more than walking...I honestly think unless I were to walk 10 miles a day it would not benefit me as much as the jogging, swimming, and bike riding I do. Tonight for example I jogged 2.03 miles on the treadmill at an average rate of 5.3MPH and then I walked (for a cool down) 1 mile at 4.2 MPH. We are all unique so it takes some time to figure out how our tool works for each of us

Heaviest: 387 pounds (1999)
    Weight last appointment prior to surgery: 265 (6/29/12)
    Weight beginning of two-week full liquid/high protein diet: 265 (7/25/12)
    Weight day of surgery (8/8/12): 253.2
    ONEDERLAND: 12/10/12: 198
    100 pounds lost 7/3/13
    Reached goal weight of 160 pounds on 9/9/13 (1 year, 1 month, and 1 day post-op)

6. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    07/02/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ali
    Last Activity
    03-21-2013 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 22 Times
    Was Thanked 62 Times in 60 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 6 Times

I am two pounds away (and if it's not gone tomorrow morning, the scale gets put in the closet for a week.)
    I haven't counted too much - But i log everything, and about once a week I check with myfitnesspal and make sure my calories are in the 700 range, protein is more than 80, and I keep things super low carb. (I know for instance that my protein shakes have 50-60 grams of protein and around 200 calories) so I guess I'm subconsciously counting, but I care more about 3-4 oz of dense protein in addition to my one shake a day.

I was in too much knee pain to exercise until very recently - I've just begun exercise. I'm starting with Heavyweight Yoga, and a few of Teresa Tapp videos from youtube, and I stroll. My daughter and I take a lot of walks through target we go around the edge part 4 times or so, the last "lap" I let her meander and look around. It's just nice that every step doesn't hurt any more, and that I'm not limping. I'm toying with joining a gym, but financially I'm thinking I'll wait just a bit.

I went into this with the idea that it was atkins on steroids, and would be forever for me, and I'm ok with that. I'm to the point where I always give up on a diet - I'm still wildly excited and love that I have restrictions on what I eat.

I just took a full body picture, not just my face, and sent it to my mom. She almost cried, it's been at least 9.5 years since I've been at this size (26 pants are too big, 24's are not quite big enough), and for me personally, I'm only halfway there. It's pretty exciting that even if it's twice as long to lose the next half, I'm still looking at being close to goal June-August sometime. My doctor's goal is actually 30-40 pounds heavier than my goal. So, as long as I'm feeling good, and eating healthy, able to move and keep up with my kid, I'll be thrilled.
    Highest weight 379
    Date of Surgery 349

8. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member ElleMarie's Avatar
    Surgery date
    06/10/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr Ortiz
    Last Activity
    09-25-2013 10:07 PM
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times
    Was Thanked 202 Times in 182 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 46 Times

I was just under 100 in under a year but my daughter was just over 100 lost in less than a year.

EVERYONE is different when it comes to excess skin. I was right at 300 lbs and 4 pregnancies and a few abdominal surgeries so for me the skin was NEVER going to go away on it's own...I ended up with plastics and am pleased with my decision and outcome.

My daughter (she was 20) being so much younger her body is amazing. Her tummy is a bit loose but doesn't look it in clothes. Her arms are tight as are her legs. She lost 116 so far so she did have a good lose but age is a big factor as is the individual.

Just remember as you embark on this journey that the goal is your health. WALK WALK WALK as you recover it is the single best thing you can do for yourself. As the doc increases your activity be sure to do some spot exercises in your concern areas.

Congrats on your decision to have surgery.
    God gave us people to love and things to use, not things to love and people to use.

Visit my blog at: http://laurieunapologetically.blogspot.com/

10. Said thanks:

11. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    12/12/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr Landerholm
    Last Activity
    02-13-2018 09:44 PM
    Said "Thanks" 9 Times
    Was Thanked 457 Times in 339 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 138 Times

You are asking good questions. My one year is coming up Dec 12th and I expect to have lost 130# or more by then. How I did it is both a simple and hard question. I did not have a rigid program of so many calories or carbs. I tracked at times, but the vast majority of this last year I did not track. I worked with a nutritionalist who quickly understood what I needed which was learning to listen to and trust my body. I follow the sleever rules/guidelines and everything else falls in place for me. I have however done things to "mix it up" if my weight loss stalled or slowed - so I don't really have a single answer. I eat using appetizer utinsels and a small teaplate. My "bowl" holds 4 oz max. Portion size, type of food I eat and eating frequency are what I pay attention to. If I go to a restaurant, I eat mini portions (shared or perhaps an appetizer or something).

I also exercise, but not fanatically. That has also evolved and I am now doing higher intensity interval training.

I will need plastic surgery but it isn't nearly as bad as I expected. I actually am starting to look pretty okay in clothes...
    308# 12/1/2011 Start of Preop Diet
    300# 12/12/11 Lapband to Sleeve revision
    158# Feb 2013 - GOAL lost 150# 14 months post op
    150# 10/14/2013 - Plastics Dr Sauceda in Monterrey Mexico; removed 5.5# of skin
    140# Apr 2014 - maintaining 168# weight loss currently. Very happy with my sleeve and plastics results!

13. Said thanks:

Name
    Rhonda
    Surgery date
    11/14/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Garcia Govea
    Last Activity
    11-30-2014 10:02 AM
    Said "Thanks" 99 Times
    Was Thanked 106 Times in 81 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 34 Times

I lost 125 first year. The first year was the easy one. Now i feel just like a normal person who has to diet and exercise to keep the losing going. sleeve really is only a tool that we have to work. I am going to do the 5 day pouch test. though i don't need to test the pouch, it is working loud and clear... but i need to kick start the losing, as the past few months the lose is slow maybe onlyl 10lbs in 3 months. i do have to watch what i eat and focus on protein and stay away from carbs. carbs are a slippery slop for me. I can eat to many of them. proteins keep me honest. exercise really bolsters the weight loss though. yoga and walking and weights are great... best of luck to you.

15. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Brandi
    Surgery date
    03/27/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Last Activity
    11-16-2013 06:10 PM
    Said "Thanks" 38 Times
    Was Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3 Times

I have lost a 105 pounds in 8 months . I feel great but yes I treat it just like a strict diet I watch everything. I don't waste any calories on liquids besides my protein shakes which I only do e everyother day cause they make me sick at my stomach! I only drink water an Tea an to be honest I don't work out like I should at all but now am paying for it cause I feel all jiggly!

17. Said thanks:

Name
    Rhonda
    Surgery date
    11/14/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Garcia Govea
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 99 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Time2Change View Post
    I have lost a 105 pounds in 8 months . I feel great but yes I treat it just like a strict diet I watch everything. I don't waste any calories on liquids besides my protein shakes which I only do e everyother day cause they make me sick at my stomach! I only drink water an Tea an to be honest I don't work out like I should at all but now am paying for it cause I feel all jiggly!
    WOW... that is amazing weight loss!! congrats!!!

Surgery date
    09/13/2011
    Surgeon
    Rothchild
    Said "Thanks" 181 Times
    Was Thanked 530 Times in 430 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 12,041 Times
    Blog Entries

I posted pictures of my loose skin if you want an idea of what it might be like. I went to Costco and bought this like 64oz tub of coconut oil to use as a moisturizer for the skin issues I also cook with it. You can also buy it in vitamins which i used the first 3 months or so. I am not good at taking any pills on a regular basis so i haven't taken them lately. I also do Yoga which started as just sitting down on the floor and stretching my legs and back like what is taught in school gym classes to do before you exercise. I would sit down everyday when ever i felt like it and try to straighten my legs in front of me ( i was too big to do it at first) but the little movements really help and if you can work into it slow just trying to get into a pose and relax into it it can be great for clearing your head and toning your body. I have very little excess skin on my legs and i truly believe Yoga is why I have been working on just bending over and touching my toes and that took me till last week and i started trying about august of last year if that gives you a time frame when i say take it slow. I lost 100 exactly by my one year point and i honestly do not count calories I do not exercise 8 hours a day I just try to focus on how much i eat at a time and how much of it is "real" food and not sugary, chemical filled, instant junk I found thedanielplan.com right after my surgery and it really changed how i see food check it out it might be a good resource. I wish you the best and I know you can do it you just need to believe in YOU! BTW have you watched the video going around about Arthur Boormans? If not then i strongly suggest you watch it that is an amazing story of what yoga can do for your body. I almost cried watching it and it helped me get my butt back on track there is a link to it on youtube incase you havent seen it. I just saw it yesterday.
    I needed that inspiration to get these last pesky pounds off i actually have gained 4 since my anniversary but I hit a wall and began eating for a few weeks so now its time to start loosing again. Have a great day!
    "Its Not Hard Its Just New!"
    Transforming from caterpillar to butterfly to phoenix!

20. Said thanks:

Name
    Rhonda
    Surgery date
    11/14/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Garcia Govea
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 99 Times

that was an awesome video! very inspiring! Yoga is really a God Send!

Name
    Nicki Glover
    Surgery date
    02/01/2013
    Surgeon
    Fernando Garcia
    Last Activity
    08-30-2017 10:22 PM
    Said "Thanks" 17 Times
    Was Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 40 Times
    Blog Entries

loved the video, thanks for sharing.

And a big that's to all that posted their experiances.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    05/15/2012
    Surgeon
    Manuel Castro, MD
    Last Activity
    01-07-2013 11:00 PM
    Said "Thanks" 15 Times
    Was Thanked 16 Times in 14 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 9 Times

As far as loose skin goes, I think there are 4 main issues:
    1. age
    2. hydration
    3. speed of weight loss
    4. exercise

I think at one year I will have lost about 100 pounds, and hope to be at my goal after 18 months. I mainly try very hard to exercise at least 3 times per week, drink lots of fluids, and get in 100 grams of protein. I will see about the loose skin at that point, but I'm at least as concerned now with nutrition and fat loss rather than muscle loss. Surgery can deal with the loose skin, but muscle must be preserved and created through hard work - which is getting easier as I weigh less.